Create Account

How to Fix the Goalie Problem

12-16-2020, 05:01 AMCarpy48 Wrote:
12-15-2020, 12:26 PMTate Wrote: It's not dumb luck to be a good goalie, build matters and like most SIM leagues it's that some of the attributes involved don't matter compared to others. I saw a noticeable difference when I invested more in positioning for example. So long as TPE is placed into the right slots, you'll have moderate to high success.

I would say maybe. The team in front of you, particularly the defense, still matters more. I haven't seen much of a difference, but perhaps that was because we switched to FHM when I already had most of what I think are important attributes already relatively high (around 17/18 I believe) and we all know the shitty season Toronto had. Perhaps it matters more when you're still on the lower TPE levels, I have no experience there. How do you define success? The only stat I really look at is sv%, because I believe that you cannot influence wins and GAA by upgrading your player attributes.

Yes, success to me means a good SV%, and shows that at least from a goalie perspective you are performing well. Your team absolutely matters, but what I meant is that if you were to retool your build and put higher values into things like Skating or Puckhandling and not Positioning and Reflexes you'd see a significant difference in your performance (and not a good one). A few seasons ago I had a lower positioning value and while I was a decent starter, when I was able to max it to 20, it's like my player changed overnight. I think as a goalie you can have less TPE and still be awesome (like Kryst) but where that TPE is placed is significant.

Let's look at Kryst's build:

Goalie Ratings
Positioning: 18
Passing: 11
Poke Check: 12
Blocker: 17
Glove: 17
Rebound: 17
Recovery: 16
Puckhandling: 11
Low Shots: 16
Skating: 11
Reflexes: 17

Mental Ratings
*Aggression: 8
Mental Toughness: 15
*Determination: 15
*Team Player: 15
*Leadership: 15
Goalie Stamina: 15
*Professionalism: 15

What we see are high values in Positioning, Blocker, Glove, Rebound, Recovery, Low Shots, Reflexes. These stats are essential to having success as a goalie (high sv%). IMO Positioning is by far one of the most important stats and if we look at Kryst's build it is his highest valued stat.

Let's look at my build:

Goalie Ratings
Positioning: 20
Passing: 12
Poke Check: 15
Blocker: 18
Glove: 18
Rebound: 18
Recovery: 18
Puckhandling: 12
Low Shots: 18
Skating: 12
Reflexes: 20

Mental Ratings
Mental Toughness: 18
Goalie Stamina: 17

I have an edge over Kryst because I have more TPE --- BUT our builds are very, very similar. So any person looking to be a goalie, remember this setup, save it, and build toward it. You will have success this way. Wink

[Image: p82ugau.png]

12-16-2020, 12:32 PMTate Wrote:
12-16-2020, 05:01 AMCarpy48 Wrote: I would say maybe. The team in front of you, particularly the defense, still matters more. I haven't seen much of a difference, but perhaps that was because we switched to FHM when I already had most of what I think are important attributes already relatively high (around 17/18 I believe) and we all know the shitty season Toronto had. Perhaps it matters more when you're still on the lower TPE levels, I have no experience there. How do you define success? The only stat I really look at is sv%, because I believe that you cannot influence wins and GAA by upgrading your player attributes.

Yes, success to me means a good SV%, and shows that at least from a goalie perspective you are performing well. Your team absolutely matters, but what I meant is that if you were to retool your build and put higher values into things like Skating or Puckhandling and not Positioning and Reflexes you'd see a significant difference in your performance (and not a good one). A few seasons ago I had a lower positioning value and while I was a decent starter, when I was able to max it to 20, it's like my player changed overnight. I think as a goalie you can have less TPE and still be awesome (like Kryst) but where that TPE is placed is significant.

Goalie Ratings

Mental Ratings

What we see are high values in Positioning, Blocker, Glove, Rebound, Recovery, Low Shots, Reflexes. These stats are essential to having success as a goalie (high sv%). IMO Positioning is by far one of the most important stats and if we look at Kryst's build it is his highest valued stat.

Let's look at my build:

Goalie Ratings

Mental Ratings

I have an edge over Kryst because I have more TPE --- BUT our builds are very, very similar. So any person looking to be a goalie, remember this setup, save it, and build toward it. You will have success this way. Wink

Goalie Ratings
Puckhandling: 15
Reflexes: 18
Skating: 15

Mental Ratings

*Indicates attributes that cannot be edited.

Heres my build. Why am I so far below Kryyst in save percentage

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020, 07:07 PM by Tate.)

12-16-2020, 06:21 PMSlashACM Wrote:
12-16-2020, 12:32 PMTate Wrote: Yes, success to me means a good SV%, and shows that at least from a goalie perspective you are performing well. Your team absolutely matters, but what I meant is that if you were to retool your build and put higher values into things like Skating or Puckhandling and not Positioning and Reflexes you'd see a significant difference in your performance (and not a good one). A few seasons ago I had a lower positioning value and while I was a decent starter, when I was able to max it to 20, it's like my player changed overnight. I think as a goalie you can have less TPE and still be awesome (like Kryst) but where that TPE is placed is significant.

Goalie Ratings

Mental Ratings

Let's look at my build:

Goalie Ratings

Mental Ratings

Goalie Ratings

Mental Ratings

I think a SV% of .910 is very good, what I was saying was that where you place your TPE matters, and you have a great build which is why you have a good game rating and SV%. If your build was different, your stats would be far worse. Your team still matters in this game, but as a goalie you are performing well.

Blush

12-16-2020, 07:05 PMTate Wrote:
12-16-2020, 06:21 PMSlashACM Wrote: Goalie Ratings

Mental Ratings

I think a SV% of .910 is very good, what I was saying was that where you place your TPE matters, and you have a great build which is why you have a good game rating and SV%. If your build was different, your stats would be far worse. Your team still matters in this game, but as a goalie you are performing well.

Blush

.910 is dogshit i want a .940

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

12-16-2020, 07:17 PMSlashACM Wrote:
12-16-2020, 07:05 PMTate Wrote: I think a SV% of .910 is very good, what I was saying was that where you place your TPE matters, and you have a great build which is why you have a good game rating and SV%. If your build was different, your stats would be far worse. Your team still matters in this game, but as a goalie you are performing well.

Blush

.910 is dogshit i want a .940

You'll always be a .940 in my mind Heart

12-16-2020, 07:28 PMTate Wrote:
12-16-2020, 07:17 PMSlashACM Wrote: .910 is dogshit i want a .940

You'll always be a .940 in my mind  Heart

.910 is like bottom 5 out of all goalie starters. This isn’t good for a goalie with the 5th most tpe lol

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

12-16-2020, 06:21 PMSlashACM Wrote:
12-16-2020, 12:32 PMTate Wrote: Yes, success to me means a good SV%, and shows that at least from a goalie perspective you are performing well. Your team absolutely matters, but what I meant is that if you were to retool your build and put higher values into things like Skating or Puckhandling and not Positioning and Reflexes you'd see a significant difference in your performance (and not a good one). A few seasons ago I had a lower positioning value and while I was a decent starter, when I was able to max it to 20, it's like my player changed overnight. I think as a goalie you can have less TPE and still be awesome (like Kryst) but where that TPE is placed is significant.

Goalie Ratings

Mental Ratings

Let's look at my build:

Goalie Ratings

Mental Ratings

Goalie Ratings

Mental Ratings

Two attributes, poke check and skating.

I remember Colorado had Jerry Huuveri a little bit ago and his 350 build was ballin out and when he went to 425 he put a lot in poke check, and what a high poke check does is it removes your goalie's brain so they get really aggressive with leaving the net to try to poke it out and consequently they get shat on. I imagine skating probably does some stupid shit like that too. Also positioning 18 instead of 20 is MASSIVE, POS should always be the first to 20 imo.

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

12-16-2020, 10:25 PMfishy Wrote:
12-16-2020, 07:28 PMTate Wrote: You'll always be a .940 in my mind  Heart

.910 is like bottom 5 out of all goalie starters. This isn’t good for a goalie with the 5th most tpe lol

Yeah, well, you're the best fishy ever and that's good enough for me. Wink

12-16-2020, 11:57 PMDuff101 Wrote:
12-16-2020, 06:21 PMSlashACM Wrote: Goalie Ratings

Mental Ratings

Two attributes, poke check and skating.

I remember Colorado had Jerry Huuveri a little bit ago and his 350 build was ballin out and when he went to 425 he put a lot in poke check, and what a high poke check does is it removes your goalie's brain so they get really aggressive with leaving the net to try to poke it out and consequently they get shat on. I imagine skating probably does some stupid shit like that too. Also positioning 18 instead of 20 is MASSIVE, POS should always be the first to 20 imo.

Was twenty for a couple seasons but now I'm old. And good to know poke check is garbage but idk about skating

12-17-2020, 04:08 AMSlashACM Wrote:
12-16-2020, 11:57 PMDuff101 Wrote: Two attributes, poke check and skating.

Was twenty for a couple seasons but now I'm old. And good to know poke check is garbage but idk about skating

I randomly updated Poke Check to 15 just to see if it'll do anything, but that'll be one of the first to go down in regression again after the season. Positioning was the first I brought back up to 20 along with Reflexes. My sv% has always been somewhat okay since FHM apart from that first miserable season, but I don't know if that's really just Positioning or just the fact that my team's D was so so bad, hence more shots and the more shots you get and then save a lot of them - bingo. Obviously the better the team the better the GAA too, but I think we all can agree that's not a goalie stat really. I can't explain why my sv% is better now (for me good is above .920 and great is .930 which I've never had), but I think we need to wait until the season is over.

My current build since we're comparing

Blocker: 19
Glove: 19
Passing: 14
Rebound: 19
Recovery: 19
Puckhandling: 13
Low Shots: 19
Skating: 14

Mental Ratings
Goalie Stamina: 18

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]