Create Account

S57 SMJHL PT #6 - MVPs

Some players just work well together - who were those people in the SMJHL this season?

Written option: Tell us about the best line or defense pair you've either played with or had the misfortune to play against this season. What do you think makes them so lethal? Must include 150 words and some stats or attributes. 

Graphic option: Make a magazine feature page about a line or defense pair. Must include at least two renders and their stats and/or attributes. 

Reward: 4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the options, not both.) 

Only S57 SMJHL Rookies (S58 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT. 

Do NOT claim TPE for this task until a post has been made in the claim thread. 

Link PBE or NSFL submissions here to get credit for Welfare claims. 

Deadline  Sunday, January 10th @ 11:59pm EST

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021, 02:57 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

While many of the SMJHL teams have spread out their talent this year to create balanced offensive attacks, other teams have stacked some really talented players together to give other defensive teams fits. In Colorado, the three headed monster of Kekalainen, Dolphin & Panda is just that, an offensive juggernaut. The three have combined for 145 points through 57 contests and amassed more than 50 goals as a unit. However, the thing that makes the Raptors top unit even more decisively difficult to play against is the physical game of Juni Panda. Panda leads the entire SMJHL with 188 PIMs, 6 fights and a devastating 306 hits. There is nowhere on the ice that players are safe from Panda. The Raptors forward group was one of the toughest teams to play against all season due to their strong and consistent offensive pressure alongside a really intimidating physical presence. That makes the Raptors top line, the SMJHL MVPs for S57.

(159 words)

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

The best line I have ever played on is the only line I've ever played on up until the trade deadline (excluding one game where I was second line to get the important players some rest). It is Mew Two on the right wing, Brian Davenport at C, and Jonas Caspari at left winger. The fourth line dream team. I kind of picture us like the fourth line in the movie Miracle, where the fourth line is a bunch of goobers that are not great at hockey, but are good team players and funny so the team keeps them around. So yeah, we all kinda sucked. 
I had accounted for 14 whole points, 7G 7A. Brian had accounted for 12 points, 2G 10A, and almost all of my goals were assisted by him. Jonas had 13 points, 6 G 7A, although with the trade, it's hard to say how many were with us. It's not much, but it's honest work was our slogan. Does anyone dream of being a second liner? Probably not, but we were all determined to max earn until we were good enough to not be on the fourth line. 
Code:
193 words

[Image: 4x2jj4a.gif]
S58 Elias Armia Award Winner
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021, 10:33 AM by lordbolo.)

There is only one metric that defines all star defensive pairings. Some might assume that assists are a key stat. And sure, assists are vital and the lifeblood of many teams. Some might figure that goals are important – we can’t put all the pressure on our forwards, right? WRONG. All that matters as a defensive pairing are the bone crushing fights that are applied to opposing players. As any hockey historian knows, any fight renders all decibel readers ineffective. I’ve even heard some never work again. This season, there have been two outstanding players on the Quebec City Citadelles that we have had to face (and fight) multiple times. Our guys are left bloody and battered by Boris Petrov mainly, but also by Yuuto Kira Cloudera Jr. Both have excellent +/- ratios, so whatever they are doing out on the ice is working. Boris led the league in fights and also tied for the lead in +/-. Sure, Boris had 122 penalty minutes, but who cares if the team is beating their opponents to a pulp? Still chipping in with 26 and 25 points respectively, this duo has earned by praise as one of the toughest combinations in the league.

199 words

[Image: dolffs58_gold.png]

Falcons Detroit Falcons: S57 - S59

As everyone is aware (or should be!) Quebec is absolutely nuts. They are 44-8-6 at the time of writing, and are heavily favored to win it all. Holding down the blueline for them are two players I want to touch on. Boris Petrov and Jari Heikkinen. They are both sporting an unreal +/- with a league leading 38. Great things happen when these two are on the ice. Petrov has a DGR of 70, while Heikkinen is following right behind him with 69 (nice). Looking intro Petrovs stats a little bit, he has a respectable 26 points, 122 PIM and 100 hits. This guy is literally throwing himself all over the place on the ice, and it's working. He's fighting players, maybe a referee, and possibly the net. He's like an NHL create a player being played by a sadistic teenager who wants to inflict pain and suffering on the ice. Absolutely fantastic. Heikkinen is rolling in with 29 points, 47 PIM, and 45 hits. While he's not the angry juggernaut to the extent of Petrov, Heikkinen is definitely keeping his opponents on notice with his physical presence on the ice. He also has more takeaways than giveaways, same as Petrov. No doubt that is contributing positively to their absolute dominance on the back end.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021, 03:20 PM by Z-Whiz.)

As a defender, I’m going to pick a defensive pair. To me, it hasn’t even been close as to who the best pair of defenders are this season in the SMJHL. QCC are tearing through the league with 99 points (15 more than any other team). They have a team +/- of almost 100 and that’s thanks in large part to their insanely efficient defensive pairing of Jari Heikkinen and Boris Petrov. They both sit at +40 (best in the league). Heikkinen has 21 points (7 goals, 24 assists) and Petrov has 26 points (12 goals, and 14 assists). That’s impressive, especially when you consider they have a combined 154 hits, 74 takeaways, and 77 shots blocked. Their defensive grades aren’t too shabby either with Heikkinen coming in at 68 and Petrov at 71. There may be some concern with Petrov as he has 124 penalty minutes, but somebody has to stand up for the team and protect the star players on that first line. Most of his penalty minutes don’t hurt the team as they are offset due to being fighting penalties. 100 of is 124 penalty minutes are matched by the other team.

195 Words

[Image: puddlesoduck2.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021, 04:57 PM by Urq660.)

As a defenceman playing on the second or third D line, of course you’re going to look up to your top line pairing, and I am no exception! The St Louis Scarecrows boast an exciting 1st line pair, with team captain Colin Lambert, in his final season before joining the Tampa Bay Barracuda, lining up alongside the Season 57 1st overall pick in the SMJHL Draft, the indomitable Frenchman, Jean-Locke Zidane. Lambert is obviously a defensive stud at J level, hence both his forthcoming call up to the SHL and also his trip to the SMJHL All Star game, the only player from St Louis to make that trip this year. He is also currently 3rd on the team in points, with 33 and , in fact, leads the team in Shots On Goal with 169! Alongside him, Zidane has proven his worth as the top pick in the draft, and rocketed his name up the mocks for the forthcoming SHL Draft, with a string of solid performances alongside his experienced line mate. He leads the Scarecrows’ rookie class in points with 25 (4G, 21A) and has had a string of impressive performances. If I could be like either of these guys in the future, I’d be a very happy little blueliner!

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

Well this should be pretty easy. Aside from a two or three game stint with Jorg Fuchs early in the season (to rest up, as I was still low on stamina at that point) I've only known one defensive partner, Igor Victory, and let me tell you, we're a match made in heaven.

First off our builds compliment each other very well. He's a strong defender, while I lean more offensive. His strong play in the back can allow me to cheat and try to make plays that I may not be able to with a different partner, lest not we look down the barrel of a breakaway thereafter. But I think the results speak for themselves as we have combined to put up 17 goals, 49 assists, and 66 Points. Those 66 points rank among the top pairings in the league. Most impressive of all, though, is that the duo went a streak of 33 games between games where EITHER of them had a negative +/-. For each game from game 25 to game 57 the worst either player finished was even. That's on a team where the next best defender had 10 games as a minus player AND with each player seeing over 20 minutes a game.

Chemistry can be hard to quantify, but I think these numbers do prove that there is definitely some on ice chemistry between Gregory Goode and Igor Victory. By far the most elite defensive pair I've been a part of this season.

Armada pride Armada pride Armada pride Armada pride

[Image: Q4Adkgo.png]

[Image: tXwycVw.png]

[Image: geRnYPO.png][Image: 0S9kFQ6.png]
Shout out Ragnarr for these two amazing sigs

While they may not be MVPs, Kermit Murphy has had the chance to play on Detroit's Kid Line, the third forward unit consisting of himself between Yan Dolff and Pavel Jeziak on the wings. The trio has put up a respectable amount of offense for three rookies while providing commendable defensive play for still developing kids. Each brings a unique flavour to the line that helps make it an effective flash of things to come for the Falcons and their fans. Jeziak's dynamic puck skills and shot make him a threat from anywhere in the zone, and he excels with players creating space for him by driving to the net. Luckily for him, Murphy excels at that aspect of the game, and is more than willing to set screens in front of the goalie on top of using his monstrous frame to keep possession and win puck battles. Finally, Dolff adds a nice mix of offensive skill and defensive conscience that ties the line together.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2021, 01:02 AM by bjkman.)

ISFL AFFILIATE

[Image: greg.png?ex=656fa055&is=655d2b55&hm=c3f3...f36747c30&]

ISFL Ultimus Week

[Image: zayn.png?ex=65e9b101&is=65d73c01&hm=c0f0...y=lossless]
Kyle Sux Lmap

Teddy Park and Vlastislav make up one of the scariest lines in the J. They combine for 19 goals and 37 assists. Perhaps more impressively, between the two there are a whopping 203 hits. This is a line that you do not want to be caught unaware by, as you will find yourself flat on the ice very quickly. Their combined +/- sits at +17. They also have 11 more takeaways between them than they have giveaways. Granted Park is the only fight winner of the two, but that's likely because no one has had the stones to try and drop the gloves with Vlastislav. The two have been steady producers for the Kelowna Knights and are one of the keys to their impressive regular season performance. If the knights are looking to find success in the post season they will look to players like Park and Vlastislav to continue their steady but efficient game plan. While these numbers might not stick out as MVP numbers, the Knights have been successful because their roster is filled with players like Park and Vlastislav up and down the roster.

Code:
187 Words

[Image: never_in_doubt.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2021, 12:08 PM by nyumbayangu.)

Nearly all of the mating partners on the Whalers are of a male variety, but my particular mating partner is of the female variety. When I arrived on earth it quickly became clear that it was the female variety that ruled most things, while allowing the males to believe that they have been in charge. It is quite a fascinating social setup that even the humans do not full seem to understand.

Sarah Burke and I have made an excellent combination on the second pairing in Vancouver. She has managed to teach me a lot about being a very balanced defenseindividual in the game of ice hockey. Her defensive read, stamina and strength are among the tops on the roster, while her passing, puckhandling, and acceleration have given her a multitude of opportunities to score at the other end of the ice as well. Though my neural upgrades are not anywhere close to what hers are I have been fortunate enough to play alongside her and learn much about the way of the ice hockey.

For this reason it is clear that the defense pair of Sarah Burke and Narboza Manyhands is the most formidable of pairings that I have experienced in my limited time with the humans.

208 words