Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive 1: Scarecrows S58 SMJHL Entry Draft Review
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 10:24 PM by leafs1997.)

For my first edition of Deep Dive, I will taking a look back and be reviewing the Season 58 SMJHL Entry Draft from the point of view of the St. Louis Scarecrows. I will evaluate and give my input on each of the draft selections made by the St. Louis Scarecrows during the draft. I will also give a possible career outlook on each of those players and what can be expected of those most recent players to join the Scarecrows organization.

With their first selection, the St. Louis Scarecrows selected two-way defenseman, Ethan Bouchardin the first round of the draft, with the sixth overall selection. Bouchard hails from Skellefteå, Sweden and is not the biggest defender you will meet, standing in at just 5 feet, 11 inches and weighing 194 pounds but he wears his heart on his sleeve. His biggest strengths are positioning, balance and checking, while his biggest weakness is shot blocking. Ethan is represented by an agency that has produced three SHL hall of fame players, so expect him to evolve into a great two-way defenseman who can be a threat at both ends of the ice and play in all key situations.

St. Louis was back on the draft clock early in the second round, with the 14th overall selection and they elected to go with another defenseman in that spot, in the form of Dane von Gucci. The Austrian born defender stands in at 6 feet, 2 inches and tips the scales at 210 pounds, so substantially bigger than the aforementioned, Ethan Bouchard. von Gucci is a great passer with a keen eye for the offensive side of the game and can log a lot of big minutes, while he will need to improve upon his physical aspects of the game. Dane's player agency has represented one other player who did not really pan out, but look for von Gucci to become an elite defenseman at the SMJHL and SHL levels with some development.

The Scarecrows selected their first forward of the draft, when they plucked Center, Scooby Doo off of the draft board in the third round, 26th overall, a very tall but slender Latvian. Scooby Doo's biggest strengths would have to be his ability to get open, a very accurate shot and very strong, especially for a player weighing just 176 pounds. His biggest hole in his game would have to be his passing ability. Scooby Doo is a first generation player, so it could go either way for him in terms of being a successful SMJHL and SHL player. Scooby definitely enjoys putting the puck in the back of the net and could develop into an elite goal scorer.

The next selection for St. Louis came in the fourth round, 38th overall when Right Wing, Lebron Brady, a Jamaican born big man was the next prospect to hear his name called and became the newest Crow. Brady is also a first generation player but seems to be very motivated to become the best player he possibly can be. Lebron has a very accurate shot so that is the biggest strength to his game, without a doubt, while he struggles with shot blocking. In my opinion, Lebron Brady will develop into one of the best goal scorers in the league and in time, we will be seeing his name atop of the goal scoring leaders list.

In round five of the draft, the Crows elected to go with Brent Ashe with their 50th overall selection, a Center born in Gastonia, North Carolina and the American born forward excels in the faceoff dot as well as passing and puckhandling. He does struggle with being agile and checking but I have faith, that he will develop nicely into a great playmaker at both the SMJHL and SHL levels. Brent Ashe is another first generation player but is soaking in all the information and tips from more veteran players among the Scarecrows team, and that should help him become a very successful player.

In the sixth round, with the 69th overall selection, while most other teams were passing on making a selection, the Scarecrows decided to select Left Winger, Joshua Horsemenzada. He has not checked into Crows training camp as of yet and I am certain that the St. Louis management made this pick just so they could have a selection at the number 69 pick.

Approved. @fever95 +5 TPE.

[Image: fever95.gif]
[Image: LpkqUbe.gif]

PREVIOUS PLAYER STATISTICS