Create Account

Budget Team/HO Punishment + Changes/Fixes

Good evening SHL Community,
This is a follow up on the Toronto North Stars punishment from a few days ago. Head Office was aware during the discussion regarding Toronto's cap situation that while they are responsible for ensuring the contracts they hand out are legal per established rules, there were 2 specific choke points that made this situation troublesome for the league as a whole. In this thread, we'll review and penalize the causes of those issues, but we'll also take a look forward at how we can make sure these mistakes don't happen again. Let's start with the punishment for the Budget Team and what they're doing to fix things:

Budget Team
The Budget Team is our first line of defense against all cap-related issues in the SHL. We expect them to be thorough and diligent, catching problems before they happen, or at least catching problems while they are still small and easier to address. Regarding the North Stars situation, the budget team caught the issue far too late, and it created a headache for all involved, Head Office and Toronto alike. Had this been caught earlier, Head Office wouldn't have needed to discuss a custom punishment to fit an error made seasons ago. For this reason, Budget Director @Dextaria will be suspended his full pay for the S59 Season.

Now that the punishment is out of the way, what is being done to fix this? Last night, Luke and I were able to sit in a voice call with both Dex and @Nhamlet, and have a really productive conversation on how we as a team can make the SHL Budget more reliable and more efficient, and I can say with confidence that I have a lot of faith in them to keep working towards really improving the Budget Team. Here are a few of the changes we discussed that are for sure coming:

- The Budget Team will be hiring more members. Having more eyes to review, more people to catch mistakes, and less data for people to input as individuals is never a bad thing, and we think of all the solutions, this is the easiest. The Budget Team is working to figure out the exact numbers, but they've been encouraged by Head Office to hire as many as they see fit, so long as it serves to make a positive change for the Budget.

- Working alongside @BadWolf and her Audit Team to ensure the SHL Budget receives consistent review to ensure mistakes are caught as early as possible, or in a perfect world, that there are no mistakes at all. The Audit Team has already been such a positive influence for thorough review on the site, and we're positive that they'll bring that same consistency and high standard of quality to the Budget.

Alongside this we discussed a lot of potential changes that will need some fleshing out but may see implementation in the future, such as increasing GM accountability by having GMs review their section of the SHL Budget before the regular season starts, and assigning Budget Team members to a specific group of teams so we can see exactly where problems happen, as well as more properly dividing up the workload. At the end of the day, the group in there is great, and they are passionate about making sure the Budget is a trustworthy resource for not only Head Office, but also the site as a whole. After our conversation, and with these changes, we have complete faith that they're more ready than ever before to tackle future problems like this in a more timely and reliable manner.

SHL Head Office
This section will be briefer than the last but is still important to include, as it regards accountability and improvements for the site. Another problem area during this situation stemmed from a slight clarity issue in the Rulebook. Here is the rule as it is written in the SHL Rulebook:

Code:
If a player meets the requirements for a bonus in their contract, the bonus is paid out and counts towards the following season’s cap (ex. Player achieves a bonus in S50, bonus is paid out in S51 and counts towards the S51 Salary Cap).

So the first section of this rule is not the issue. It essentially says that bonuses are paid out the season following a season where a bonus clause was attached (So if I have a 3 year contract that starts in S60, with a bonus tied to S61, IF the bonus is achieved, the bonus will pay out in S62). The criteria is not dependent on when the bonus is met, but rather what season of the contract the bonus clause itself is tied to. The issue in this rule stems from the poor wording of the example, as it's lack of clarity actually causes it to be read in a way that contradicts the first section of the rule (which is the proper ruling). Rewriting the SHL Rulebook was an undertaking I took a lot of pride in doing when I first joined Head Office, and I think as a whole the SHL Rulebook has become infinitely better because of it. However, this doesn't change the fact that my poor choice of words resulted in a situation that was messy and troublesome for a lot of parties. For this reason, I will be suspending my own, full pay for the S59 Season.

Aside from holding myself accountable, the fix from the Head Office side of things is a much less involved one than the Budget Team's fixes, but it is still an important one that I'll be clarifying here for the sake of transparency and accountability. Going forward, the SHL Rule regarding bonuses will now be written as follows:

Code:
If a player meets the requirements for a bonus in their contract, the bonus is paid out and counts towards the following season’s cap (ex. Player receives a contract with a bonus clause tied to the S60 Season of their contract. Should the conditions for the bonus be met, the player's bonus will count towards their team's S61 Cap Hit).

This small change will hopefully bring more clarity to the SHL Rulebook which is something Head Office is always striving for, and is absolutely something we find very important.

Shl

Thank you for your patience and conversations with Head Office during this messy and confusing situation. This was a conversation we had for many days to make sure that we were not only holding people accountable, but to also see where problems occur, make fixes and tweaks to ensure they don't happen again, and as best as we can, do right by the league and this wonderful community we have. We're not the Head Office group that punishes people and calls it a day, we want to be a Head Office group that sands down the rough edges and make this site better for everyone, each and every day. I hope this post did a good enough job to communicate to you all that we care, and the things that are important to you all, are important to us too.

On behalf of the SHL Head Office
nour

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

but how you will cope without your HO pay?

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

TL/DR?

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

04-16-2021, 06:00 PMBlastmeaway Wrote: TL/DR?
People made boo boo, get smacked

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

#freeDex

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

Get rid of bonuses

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

04-16-2021, 06:34 PMSlashACM Wrote: Get rid of boners

i dont think this is a viable solution

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Free nour!

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2021, 07:22 PM by honkerrs.)

so you guys admit that its poor wording but still decided to go through with the punishment? especially AFTER free agency and contract signings and 2 days before season starts

like i appreciate the fix for the future and you docking pay but pretty paepae if you ask me. all around this is way overblown for something not malicious and just a horribly worded rulebook issue. you didn't need to punish yourself either. just seems like a pretty targeted punishment and sets a precedent for extreme retroactive punishments that go uncaught and not intentional

also while im at it. its also ridiculous there is no appeal response from the owners on this? it's been about 4 days now since the results were DM'd. just adds to the suspicious nature of all this. possibly because basically the entire site disagreed with the ruling????

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

04-16-2021, 06:40 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:
04-16-2021, 06:34 PMSlashACM Wrote: Get rid of boners

i dont think this is a viable solution

Tbh if women ran things it'd probably be better

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

04-16-2021, 07:37 PMSlashACM Wrote:
04-16-2021, 06:40 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: i dont think this is a viable solution

Tbh if women ran things it'd probably be better

Wait don't tell Penknight I said this

Somehow, @Gwdjohnson is responsible for this.  Please fine him his GM pay for this season.

[Image: awesomecakes.gif]
[Image: beautifulphoenix.gif]

04-16-2021, 07:05 PMhonkerrs Wrote: so you guys admit that its poor wording but still decided to go through with the punishment? especially AFTER free agency and contract signings and 2 days before season starts

like i appreciate the fix for the future and you docking pay but pretty paepae if you ask me.  all around this is way overblown  for something not malicious and just a horribly worded rulebook issue. you didn't need to punish yourself either. just seems like a pretty targeted punishment and sets a precedent for extreme retroactive punishments that go uncaught and not intentional

also while im at it. its also ridiculous there is no appeal response from the owners on this? it's been about 4 days now since the results were DM'd. just adds to the suspicious nature of all this. possibly because basically the entire site disagreed with the ruling????
Thread when?

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Oh no… how are you gonna survive without your season pay. So after all of us this… Toronto is still screwed over? A mistake over 2 seasons ago… but the league waited till after FA and everything was over to announce this? After we give all our remaining cap space to our rookies and had no flexibility to fix it? Forcing us to trade a player we loved having in the LR and basically had to give away. I don’t know, it just seems like we were the ones getting screwed over the most even though everyone agrees it was a poorly worded rule. Also, the bonuses were PAID. god forbid we gave the players their imaginary money in the wrong season…

[Image: gurbs.gif]

Yeah but where's the punishment for Nhamlet?

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers