Create Account

S59 SMJHL PT #5 - Most valuable player
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 03:47 AM by Mutedfaith.)

The Ideen Fallah Trophy for MVP as decided by the Awards Committee.  The most coveted individual award in the juniors league.  Who is on track to win it this season?

Written Task: Which players are in the running for league MVP? (150 word min.)
Graphic Task: Create a graphic comparing the top 3 MVP contenders.  Must include team logos and renders. 

Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)

Only S59 SMJHL Rookies (S60 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.
Link PBE or NSFL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.

Deadline: Sunday, May 16th @ 11:59pm EST

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 08:17 AM by Accka.)

[Image: 3d39533c0a605711c4390ba302c9fbe8.png]
[Image: fb9f085acd2ae9eafd0095650ed4db1d.png]
I hope this qualifies as the graphic one

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska

In my totally fair and non-biased opinion, currently one of the top contenders for this seasons Ideen Fallah trophy is the left winger Jesse Trudeau from the Newfoundland Berserkers. Jesse is currently sitting at number 2 in the Simulation Junior Hockey Leagues +/- rankings with 12 goals and a whopping 32 assists. Jesse is a key play maker for the Newfoundland Bersekers who is currently tied for first in even strength assists with a league high 25! With only 1 of Jesse's 12 goals coming on the power play he helps make the Berserkers a formidable 5 on 5 team. You don't have to look hard when reviewing any of Newfoundland's post game highlights to find Jesse's name, with an outstanding 44 points in 47 games played he is a constant force on the ice who is determined to drive his team deep into the playoffs.

[150 words]

[Image: sigrotator123.gif]
 [Image: UEX4RCQ.png]  [Image: PHI-pepe2.png]  [Image: r2pSvNf.png]
Special thanks to Carpy48, Ragnar, Merica, High Stick King, Sulovilen, sothfacekilla, enigmatic and LeSizz for the signatures!

The Ideen Fallah Trophy for MVP
Choosing an MVP in any league and in any sport is a very subjective thing.  There are, in real life, many intangibles that enter into the equation.  Unfortunately. in the SMJHL, we cannot really quantify some of those intangibles that truly set players above their peers in terms of a Most Valuable Player.  On examining the statistics that are available to us I had thought to go with a player that contributed the most offensively.  I saw a problem immediately as Anchorage has 3 of the top 4 point producers and they are all separated by a mere 2 points.  So I chose to go with a goalie.  Podan Podanovic of Detroit really stands out.  He has played 42 games and has only allowed 110 goals.  He has a SV% of 0.908.  He has played 30 minutes more than any other goalie in the league and has a 26 - 14 - 2 record.  Podanovic has been assisted by Detroit's defensive play as he has only faced 1192 shots over those 42 games.  That's just a little over 28 shots per game.  If Podanovic continues at this pace I would expect that he would get some consideration for the Ideen Fallah Trophy.

[Image: Rinky-sig.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 08:39 AM by Talls.)

I want to begin by specifying my criteria.  One player will be the highest goal scorer (as it is hard to not recommend a true goal scorer), one player will be highest point earner, and the highest in +/-.

1. Kermit Murphy - LW - DET - 25-23-48, with a +/- of 12: Murphy is averaging 0.5 goals per game and 0.96 points per game.  He has an average TOI of 18:00 through 50 games played.  He is shooting above 15% which is a real asset for any team.  Most of his goals (17) come from even strength opportunities, making him a real leader game in and game out.

2. Cian McFelter - C - KEL - 18-33-51, with a +/- of 27: McFelter is tied with points with Cole Carter and even though Carter has one game in hand, McFelter is dominate in the +/- department.  McFelter only has 4 PIM, meaning he does a great job staying on the ice.  Any player considered for the MVP has to actually be on the ice to contribute to the team.

3. Nike Kickz Jr - C - NL - 14-19-33, with a +/- of 35: Kickz is not as prolific as a goal scorer as the other two nominees but he always seems to be on the ice when goals are scored.  It also seems with a +35 that the opposing teams have issues scoring when he is on the ice as well.  He still has a shot percentage above 11%, meaning he can score when needed.

Japan Outlaws Blizzard  Blizzard Outlaws Japan

[Image: Talls.gif]

[Image: aAYvaDO.png][Image: wFihEpr.png][Image: FcT7qtH.png][Image: NwdnVLP.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: o2NPreS.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 08:55 AM by FiveForFighting.)

See my link from PBE. I am WhozOnFirst there.

[Image: ragnarsson_sig.png]
Destiny is All. Proud member of the Vancouver Whalers
Future SHL squad - Texas Renegades

While MVP awards most often go to players on winning teams, this award should go to Nicolaj Boyle. There is a 13 point gap between him and 2nd on the team (44 vs 31). Without Boyle, Vancouver would be so much further down the sinkhole than they are right now. They would easily be the worst in the league if it wasn't for him. He leads the team in goals, assists, points, shots, and offensive grade. Also second on the team in blocks. If you want a candidate who is absolutely "most valuable" to their team, look no further than Boyle. There is still a few games left for Boyle to climb the league rankings in points and widen the gap between teammates. If Boyle gets hotter than hot, Vancouver may be the team no one wants to face come playoff time. And since all teams make the playoffs, does an MVP really have to be on a team in the top echelons of the league? This is a New-Jersey, Taylor Hall type year.

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

I think you can put a lot of players down for MVP right now, but most people will lean towards whoever is on the best teams. That being said, I'm gonna go outside the box and look at players on teams not in the top 4 position wise. These are in no particular order:

Vincent Mietitore Outlaws - While he's only played 27 games up to this point, playing several games called up to his SHL team this season, he has been the backbone of success for the Outlaws so far. With an outstanding 0.931 sv%, he is the reason the Outlaws have been able to steal a few games from the big hitters this season.

Chad Danger - Battleborn - While the Battleborn have been down and out hard this season, Danger is a bright spot in an dismal performing year for the team. Tallying 17 G, 10 A and a -5, and shooting over 17%, he's a big reason why the Battleborn are still dangerous enough for anyone they play.

Friedensreich Hundertwasser - Scarecrows - A bright spot defensively comes from St. Louis' top forward (in my eyes) who is averaging over 1 minute SH time and has a team leading 83 shot blocks for the Scarecrows. One cant deny his defensive impact on the game, and with 29 points and a +6, you could argue he's a solid MVP candidate.

NeverBrokeAgain YoungBoy - Whalers - This rookie defenseman comes in, puts up 26 points in 50 games, and is a big reason why the Whalers are dangerous, not to mention, he could be a top RotY candidate if he can keep the pace up.

Even though he doesn't lead the league in points, Latrell Mcdonald on Anchorage deserves recognition for his breakout rookie year this year. He was drafted several picks before me in the third round, but considering the season he's having he should've went first overall. He's rounded out a talented group of Armada forwards and he has helped make that offense unstoppable. The fact that he was snubbed from the all star game this year is a massive mistake. 

I'm having a subpar year for a rebuilding Battleborn squad and this guy texts me every day saying hes racked up 2 or 3 more goals. He's easily outperforming almost all of the rookies in our class and he's been a top player in the league this year. Rookie of the year is a lock for him, and while it may be a stretch for him to win the MVP award i would love to see him be considered towards the end of the year purely on his goal scoring ability and how hes boosted the offensive output of his team.

[Image: draft-43-overall.gif]

My top three picks for the Season 59 SMJHL League MVP are as follows:
1. Jesse Trudeau: sitting comfortably at 47 pts in 50 games, Jesse clocks in at a +16. He is clearly a commanding force on the ice, and a strong contributor to Newfoundlands successes this season. 
2. Pablo Salvatici: the first stat says it all: current points leader. 54 points in 50 games is an impressive benchmark. He's blocking shots, taking hits and making takeaways. Pablo might be a dark horse candidate for many, but I think he has solid potential to take the award from what has been an impressive season so far.
3. Matty Sundeen: likely not on many other lists, Sundeen leads the SMJHL in short handed goals this season. The Newfoundland Defenseman has eaten up an eye-watering 1057 minutes of ice time over 50 games played, and has put up over .5 pts/game. This is impressive enough, but take into account his 30 blocked shots and Matty Sundeen is a dynamic, offensive D-man who has a sleeper shot at the MVP award this season.

[Image: banes.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2021, 12:01 AM by Lorec.)

This SMJHL season has seen a lot of promising players with incredible potential. The rookie class has been on fire for many teams and returning players have showed strong leadership and presence throughout the season. There have been a few players that have stood out among this great league, but a few among them seem to embody the title of MVP.

Rookie goalie, Olof Karsikko for the Vancouver Whalers is one such player that would be considered deserving of MVP. With 28 games played, Olof has an outstanding save percentage of 91.2. This rookie goalie has been called to action this year for the whalers, and even though he doesnt have the most wins, his performance has always been exceptional.

Another contender for MVP would be point leader for Newfoundland, Jesse Trudeau. Jesse is a monster support and forward for his team with a remarkable 35 assists and 12 goals giving him a total of 47 points. Newfoundland has been incredibly competitive this season and it is in big thanks Jesse and his strong, consistent performance.

Lastly, a third candidate for MVP would be another up and coming rookie for the Whalers, Narboza Manyhands This insane defensemen has been wracking up the points for the whalers as well has providing amazing support for his team and goalie. Manyhands has 71 hits throughout the season and 54 blocks. Manyhands doesn't let much get past him and lets not look past his 19 assists and 9 goals.

[Image: manh_sig6.png?width=499&height=542][Image: lebedev-sig.gif]

If you're looking for the league MVP, pardon my bias, but I think you need to look no further than Nikolaj Boyle. Boyle sits atop of the Vancouver Whalers in points, goals, assists, and shots on goal, while also being second in shot blocks. Without Boyle and his timely goals, Vancouver's record could be much, much worse. The team is lucky to have a few Rookie of the Year candidates but they are not on the level that Boyle is.

Another guy to take a serious look at is Jesse Trudeau from Newfoundland. His 35 assists have him third in the league and he currently sits in second in the plus/minus category with a +31. Say what you want about plus/minus but the fact is his team scores when he's on the ice and the other team does not.

At the end of the day, I think I have to go with Boyle. Trudeau is currently on a stacked team, 7 players with 30+ points and 13 players with 20+ points, compared to Vancouver who has 3 and 9 players, respectively. Boyle is the most valuable player to his team and that's all I have to say about that.

[Image: ragnarsson_sig_after_render.png]

The MVP of the league so far is none other than Anchorage’s own, Pablo Salvatici. Am I just saying that because he is on my team? You’re god damn right I am, not to mention he also is tied for the lead league in scoring with 54 points in 50 games played. His 38 assists on the year is good for sole possession of 1st place in the juniors, the guy just loves sharing the sugar no doubt about it. Him and the electric factory of a top line including Tokkulu Lakkamma and Cole Carter  (54 points and 52 points respectively) are leading this anchorage team and any of them in my opinion are deserving of the award. Salvatici is without a doubt one of the leaders on this team and I firmly believe that these 3 can lead the boats back to another Four Star Cup victory this season. (150)

[Image: OIQc6sy.png]

There are many players in the running for league MVP in my opinion. But I want to name two that would deserve that title with their great season.
First, I want to name Cian McFelter, the Center of the Kelowna Knights. He is probably the key player for the team and the main reason the Knights are on top of the league and they also scored the most goals by far. McFelter scored 20 goals this season and he also added 37 assists. Those 57 points are the most points from anyone in the league, together with the Right Wing of the Anchorade Armada, Tokkulu Lakkamaa. However, while Lakkamaa only has a +/- ratio of 6, McFelter is at +26, which puts him in a top spot for the MVP title.
The second player I want to mention center Nicke Kickz Jr. who is leading the +/- column with 36! With the second place only having 31, that's a big margin and he has a good chances to keep the top spot. Kickz Jr. scored 15 goals and 21 assists.
Those are just two nmes, but I'm sure there are also other players that would deserve the award.

(198 words)

Ill give you 6 players that are in the running, just because its that fucking close. 
1) Falcons Kermit Murphy - Dude is leading the juniors with 25 goals which is exactly half of his 50 points on the season thats good for a goal every other game, and almost a point per.

2) Knights Cian McFelter - No wonder Kelowna looks unstoppable this season. Every game, and then some, McFelter can be found on the score sheet somewhere. He may be 5 goals behind Murphy for the scoring title, but he is 7 points ahead of the man from Detroit. He is also 11 points ahead of the next highest player on his team, making him standout unlike the names to follow.
3) Armada Armada Armada Tokkulu Lakkamaa, Cole Carter, and Pablo Salvatici - Pick your poison, honestly with 57, 56, and 55 points between them this trio is deadly. If one of them scores, expect to see the other two with the primary and secondary assists. I dont think these guys do anything apart. 

4) Citadelles Igor Petrov - 2 Goals behind Murphy for the goal race, and 6 points behind McFelter for the points race is a hell of a place to be. This list is organized by who I think is most likely to win MVP and Petrov knows where he sits. I expect Petrov to make a hard push for either the goals or the points before the end of the season to boost his chance at winning the trophy, but I dont know if QCC has it in them.

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]