Create Account

Jarmo Kekalainen; An Expansion Draft Diary

*riiiing…riiiiing..riiiing*

My alarm clock rings. I roll over to hit the snooze button, the day seems like any other. Just five more minutes of sleep. Though it’s not “just any other day”. That feeling doesn’t last long, as the date on my phone’s Home Screen hits me like a ton of bricks.

June 7th. Expansion day. A day that’s been circled on my calendar since the date was confirmed, and even before that with the announcement of two new teams coming to the league.

I get out of bed, and before I can even get dressed my phones ringing. This time, a phone call. It’s my agent. He tells me to expect the unexpected today, he’s been in touch with both general managers of the new teams, but has no idea what’s going to happen. He did get the impression that both teams liked me though, so that’s a good start.

Though I might get picked, my feelings are quite mixed at this point. As I start out for my morning jog, I can’t help but think of my teammates and staff in San Francisco. I’ve made some good relationships there, and it’s a place that I know I’ll be happy playing. That being said, I’m well aware of the teams situation. They’re a young team, with a lot of talent. There isn’t a lot of room for me to grow beyond a third line role.

This new team though, is an unknown variable. As the saying goes, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. There’s a lot of players in this draft that are solid earners who aren’t even close to regression (about thirty by my count). I could end up in the same situation I’m in now.

It’s just after lunch time now, and I’m at the facility for a skate. It’s been some time since we got eliminated in the playoffs, and after a few weeks off, its time to start my off season routine. I’m not surprised to see some fellow teammates there, especially the ones who are also watching tonight’s draft closely. Nathan Thomas, a defenceman just a few seasons ahead of myself, approaches me. He’s carrying a large bag, one that’s full of the stuff that was in his locker. He isn’t sure he’s getting picked, but his agent has been given a commitment from at least one of the teams that they’re doing everything they can to make sure they can grab him.

The allure of going to a brand new team certainly isn’t lost on me. The chance to start fresh, on a team with no records or history is definitely a tempting prospect. A few rough seasons ahead, no doubt about that.

Well, it’s time. With just an hour or so before the draft, I’ll settle in with my family and turn on the livestream. We’ll know in just a few hours whether or not we’re buying a place in San Francisco or heading to the city of Brotherly Love. Or hell, maybe even crossing the border and working on my French!

Jarmo out.

551 words

Montreal got a stud here! Future is bright for Jarmo!

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]