Create Account

Catching Up with Atticus (2x Draft Media)

Wed June 16, 2021

NORTH CAROLINA – With the SMJHL draft taking place this past Sunday, it’s safe to say that dreams were made for many young players.  We caught up with one such player, Atticus Hale, to get his thoughts on the draft, the Carolina Kraken, and anything else that might be on the mind of one of the newest Squidlets.

Q: Hi Atticus! Thanks for taking a second to sit down with us. First of all, congratulations on being selected 14th overall by the Carolina Kraken! How did it feel when you heard your name called? Was it everything you had imagine?

AH: Um, it was obviously an unreal feeling. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the Carolina Kraken organization and I’m honored to join them. When I heard my name, it was just a rush of emotions. Something my family and I had been waiting a long time for – a really special moment - and I’m beyond thrilled and honored to be a Kraken.

Q: Atticus, when you hear comparisons to some of the great SMJHL and SHL players, what do you think and what is your message to the Carolina fans when you hear those types of comparisons?

AH: For me, I’m just trying to focus on myself and getting better at different aspects of my game so I can be prepared and help the Kraken as much as I possibly can in my first season. I don’t really think about the comparisons too much. Those guys are at a different level at this point, and I can only hope to be that good some day.

Q: When did it occur to you that you could be one of the top picks in the SMJHL draft?

AH: You know, I had been told since I was a kid that I could be a professional hockey player, but I didn’t really think too much about it until a couple years ago. It wasn’t until that point that I really thought to myself “dang, you could actually make a career out of this and be pretty good at it.”

Q: Obviously, with much of your family in the hockey business, you had to know you were on a path to join them. How did they inspire you to be your best?

AH: I don’t think it’s any secret that my dad and grandpa were a huge influence on me. As coaches, they were always super critical but also extremely supportive and more than willing to help me hone my skills. I kind of embraced that teaching mentality with my teammates on the ice growing up. It wasn’t until I got older and started playing with others that had a similar skill level as myself that I started focusing more on myself and my game. And going back to your previous question, that’s when I really started becoming aware of my own ability and where that could take me.

Q: Why do you think you’re ready for the SMJHL? What about your personality and game that you think is ready to go?

AH: Um, well, physically I’ve really focused on getting stronger to be able to compete with a whole new level of players and, as far as my game goes, I think I can create a lot of great scoring chances and that’s something I’m going to try to bring to the next level. There’s definitely going to be an adjustment period, but all I can do is prepare as best I can and play my game once we get on the ice.

Q: Have you been able to catch up with some of the other newcomers since the draft?

AH: Oh yeah, for sure. It’s been a great time in the locker room, and I think Carolina had a hell of a draft. I can’t wait to get out there with everyone. I think the Kraken are going to surprise a lot of folks this year!

Well, there you have it! Keep an eye out for Atticus Hale as the start of the SMJHL pre-season approaches.  I’m sure we’ll catch up with you as the season progresses. Good luck and talk to you again soon!

AH: Thanks for having me guys!

704 Words

[Image: the5urrealshl.gif]

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]
[img=0x0]https://imgur.com/KOKeZZJ.png[/img]

Good read! Thanks for posting!

[Image: banes.png]