Create Account

Changes to SHL All-Star Voting Process

Hello SHL Community!

For those of you who don't know, I'm Fuzz, current Committee Head of the SHL All-Star Committee.

When I applied for this position, I had some lofty ambitions with how to improve both the overall process, but also the community opinion surrounding the All-SHL teams at the end of the season and engagement with the SHL All-Star Game during the season. While I have a few plans and ideas in mind to reach those two goals, this post is meant to outline only one of them: the End-of-Season All-SHL teams and how, starting with the S59 All-SHL teams, they will be changing moving forward.

First and foremost, I decided to replace the C/W/F format for the All-League teams with a much simpler 3 Forwards. We had seen in previous seasons a bit of confusion in the decision making between one Center over another, a "less deserving" Winger making a higher team than a "higher performing" Center, or in rare cases a "higher performing" Forward. With this new system, this intricate process is simplified in such a way that makes it both easier on the voters and the community in terms of understanding how or why one player finished on a higher team than another.

There will still remain 2 Defensemen and 1 Goalie on all 3 All-SHL teams.

As for the actual voting process, things have been expanded. Using a Google Form, each Committee Member was asked to submit a ballot consisting of 12 Forwards, 6 Defensemen, and 3 Goalies. Those were the minimum votes required for each position. There was also a spot for one additional vote at each position, but these were not required to be filled out. The points breakdown can be found below, as well as on the Voting Results link in each of the End-of-Season All-SHL team announcement posts starting with the S59 All-SHL teams and for the foreseeable future.

Quote:Forwards
1st Forward: 12 points
2nd Forward: 11 points
3rd Forward: 10 points
4th Forward: 9 points
5th Forward: 8 points
6th Forward: 7 points
7th Forward: 6 points
8th Forward: 5 points
9th Forward: 4 points
10th Forward: 3 points
11th Forward: 2 points
12th Forward: 1 point
13th Forward: 0.5 points*

Defense
1st Defenseman: 6 points
2nd Defenseman: 5 points
3rd Defenseman: 4 points
4th Defenseman: 3 points
5th Defenseman: 2 points
6th Defenseman: 1 point
7th Defenseman: 0.5 points*

Goalies
1st Goalie: 5 points
2nd Goalie: 3 points
3rd Goalie: 1 point
4th Goalie: 0.5 points*

Votes denoted by an asterisk* are not required

For the All-Rookie team, the voting format will be nearly identical, with the exception of the amount of required votes per position. With only one All-Rookie team, and the number of rookies found in the SHL each season, the required votes per position are: 5 Forwards, 3 Defensemen, 1 Goalie. As with the All-SHL teams, there is an option for each Committee Member to submit one additional vote per position, but they are not required to do so. The points breakdown for the All-Rookie ballot can be found below and can also be found on the Voting Results link in each End-of-Season All-Rookie announcement post starting with the S59 All-Rookie team and moving forward.

Quote:Forwards
1st Forward: 5 points
2nd Forward: 4 points
3rd Forward: 3 points
4th Forward: 2 points
5th Forward: 1 point
6th Forward: 0.5 points*

Defense
1st Defenseman: 3 points
2nd Defenseman: 2 points
3rd Defenseman: 1 point
4th Defenseman: 0.5 points*

Goalies
1st Goalie: 2 points
2nd Goalie: 1 point*

Votes denoted by an asterisk* are not required

Each season, the All-Star Committee Ballots will be made public, however the names of those who submitted ballots will remain anonymous, and "Ballot 1" for the All-SHL team will not always be the same as "Ballot 1" for the All-Rookie team. This is intended to provide an extra layer of transparency while also protecting the identities of who each ballot belongs to. If you wish to file a complaint with myself or against a specific member of the All-Star Committee, I ask that you send me a DM either here on site or on Discord (Fuzz#3896). I am always open to discuss certain decisions or thought processes as well as listening to any complaints or ideas. However, I ask that for those who wish to reach out, please do so in a calm manner. It is often easy to forget that there are real people on the other end of the messages that we send, and at the end of the day this is supposed to be fun, so throwing baseless accusations or curse-laden rants in someone's inbox is not going to help your case. Be calm and polite and hopefully we will be able to come to a point of mutual understanding.

This post will be linked in every End-of-Season All-League team announcement.

[Image: 60859_s.gif]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2021, 04:11 AM by Mutedfaith.)

Love the added transparancy with the anonymized votes being public. Good job.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

06-17-2021, 04:11 AMMutedfaith Wrote: Love the added transparancy with the anonymized votes being public. Good job.

Definetly!

[Image: Bananabread.gif] 

Thank you @Carpy48, @honkerrs

Great Stuff Fuzz, doing great things for the league here.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

idk, i thought the process was pretty good

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

@TnlAstatine no one voted you kekw

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

06-17-2021, 10:44 AMTheWoZy Wrote: @TnlAstatine no one voted you kekw

What was the reason behind you hitting “post reply”?

Aleksi Kettu

I like the changes, I do think we might need to add more voters in the near future (apparently some people didnt vote for reasons) but even with 8 it seems a bit small, when there are 20 teams in the league and 340 players

06-17-2021, 10:59 AMgolden_apricot Wrote: I like the changes, I do think we might need to add more voters in the near future (apparently some people didnt vote for reasons) but even with 8 it seems a bit small, when there are 20 teams in the league and 340 players

One committee member went inactive and another had too much else on his plate. There will be a job posting soon and in the future there will be 8 ballots submitted as was originally planned

Aleksi Kettu

06-17-2021, 10:59 AMgolden_apricot Wrote: I like the changes, I do think we might need to add more voters in the near future (apparently some people didnt vote for reasons) but even with 8 it seems a bit small, when there are 20 teams in the league and 340 players

ASG EXPANSION NOW

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

06-17-2021, 11:12 AMFuzzSHL Wrote:

One committee member went inactive and another had too much else on his plate. There will be a job posting soon and in the future there will be 8 ballots submitted as was originally planned

Thats what i was told shit happens nothing you could do

06-17-2021, 11:13 AMPremierBromanov Wrote:

ASG EXPANSION NOW

Lets have our own All Star game

06-17-2021, 11:17 AMgolden_apricot Wrote:
06-17-2021, 11:13 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: ASG EXPANSION NOW

Lets have our own All Star game

all inclusive ASG. 18 teams.

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

06-17-2021, 11:18 AMPremierBromanov Wrote:
06-17-2021, 11:17 AMgolden_apricot Wrote: Lets have our own All Star game