Create Account

S60 Championship Week

4. Written, 3 TPE (60 words min.)
Ugh, poetry is so 17th century, we're ditching that prompt. Earlier in the season I had you flex your songwriting in an SHL style parody, but this time you don't have a song to lean on. You're writing your very own diss track about something SHL related. A player, A team, A GM, anything. You can write a diss track about CW if you want.
Here are the rules: At least 12 lines (and at least 60 words total) but if you wanna do more go for it. I'm not laying out a specific rhyme scheme but there has to be rhyme in it. Be creative! This prompt is not for everyone, if you have a problem with it there are like 15 other prompts I made for ya. NOTE: THIS IS ALL IN JEST; ANYTHING OVERLY MEAN OR MALICIOUS WILL NOT BE GRADED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Thought I’d create a player in the SHL
The draft came and I answered the bell
Wrote me some articles to make some cash
Chose an archetype and wanted to bash
Juni tried to convince me that fighting was key
Decided that just hitting was for me
Spent my minors time in Colorado
Made playoff runs unlike a team in Toronto
Fuck the Anaheim Outlaws with all of my bot heart
Else the Raptors will be lost from the start
Now I look to a future in Texas
Delivering hits like Boris did Brexit
12 lines, 94 words

12. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. The salt special: Do these teams deserve to be here? Or were they gifted a trip to the finals through puck luck and bullshittery?

Obviously, the Texas Renegades were on the short end of the stick this postseason, playing Chicago in the 2nd round. The Syndicate moved on in just 5 games which MUST mean there was some form of bullshittery going on- Texas is clearly a team that should have taken them to game 7 and I expect a full investigation to follow soon.
61 words

b. Buffalo has been here many times in the past 20 seasons, this is only the second (I think I'm too lazy to check) time for Chicago. Which is more impressive? The continued dominance of Buffalo? Or the solid couple of runs Chicago has made despite the team only being 15 seasons old?
As someone newer to the SHL- I think the dominance of buffalo has been mighty impressive. Sure there are dynasties that come and go, but given (in my other league experience) a team only remains relevant for about 5-10 seasons at a time before needing to rebuild again- this is a lesson in dominance and having a sustainable model for success.
61 words

c. Everyone's a critic: Nitpick one thing about either team's logo, jersey, rink design, goal horn, or general site demeanor.
I may have heard it mentioned before… but does that boat have an eye?! As a Toronto native, the Argos have a special place in my heart, but it appears like the Seattle team has went full on the anthropomorphized boat. Sure triremes of old were adorned with eyes or other ornaments, but Seattle’s has a very lifelike appearance making it especially ‘eye-catching’.
63 words

d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.
While the SHL index is very clean, I have a real hard time finding any historical summary stuff. So I’ll just be looking at stats from this past season. Of those not on a team called Hamilton, Aron Hernadivic led the league in points stands out as a clear leader for the Buffalo side (honouarable mentions to Matt Kholin and Steve Harrington). Chicago boasts Martijn Westbrook as their undeniable leader with the most goals and assists on the team. I think Aron wins the 1v1 here as the more productive forward.
91 words

15. CW Trivia – 3 TPE
Submitted

17. Milestones - 3 TPE

PBE Affiliation3 TPE

Total: 16 TPE

[Image: regsivart.gif]
[Image: SyiOY8U.png] [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 02:29 PM by Ronniewalker.)

Code:
1. Written, 3 TPE, Ups and Downs (150 words min.)

So this was a tough season for everyone in the SHL. Dealing with trolls online, horrible PR from product endorsements, and on top of that all some minor identity fraud to add to the pile. Are these the worst things to happen to your player this season, or did something unimaginably horrible happen? On the flip side, were there any bright spots hidden in the countless nuisances and problems? What good things on and off the ice happened this season for you?

This season was indeed a veritable roller coaster with so many off ice issues leading also to some on ice issues and disrupting many players’ ability to focus solely on the game they are getting paid to play. After all these social media debacles, Lemo took the time to go over all his old passwords and replace them with new and improved ones and also delete many of the accounts on sites that he realized he hadn’t used in almost a decade. The intrigues during the season also left a mark on Lemo’s social life and now when the season ended for the Texas Renegades, Lemo decided it was time to take some alone-time in the wilderness to clear his head of all that had been and gone this past season. It was not an easy decision to make, with his wife and little child also hoping to make use of his long-awaited vacation, but Lemo felt that he had to make the decision to step away for a bit in order to return in a better state that everyone would benefit from in the long run. (187 words)

Code:
13. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

I’m not gonna lie, I had next to no time nor interest in following the finals this season. Been so busy with work and family stuff that all i know is what I can see from the index and that shows a bunch of Buffalo players leading most offensive categories and then this one Chicago guy at the top with 11 more points than the next guy on his team. So while the scoring-them-into-oblivion-by-committee workshop that Buffalo put on was very impressive in itself, I will give the series (or rather the whole playoffs) MVP title to Martijn Westbroek of the losing team, the Chicago Syndicate. (106 words)

Code:
15. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification: Burp!

Code:
17. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 16 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

Claiming 2 milestone TPE

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 01:44 PM by Dagumpa.)

PBE PT +3 TPE

1. Ups and Downs +3 TPE
Was this the worst season that I have ever had. Uh...maybe. I think I can chalk it up to being a really weird season. We were expecting to be one of the better teams in the league after struggling last season and getting swept surprisingly by one of the lowest seeded teams in the first round of the playoffs. My numbers were down quite a bit from last season. I went from 47 points to 38 points. My plus/minus, efficiency, and most importantly, hits were all way down. I think halfway through the season I decided to stop shooting. I finished with the 4th least shots on goal among all forwards on the team. We were unable to finish with the best record in our division due to some late season losses. And, once again, we were pushed out of the postseason rather unceremoniously by the Maine Timber. I also got traded without being told. But that does mean I get to play in the big leagues now. Damn...I'll kinda miss the J.....not. (174 words)

6. IIHF Predictions +3 TPE
The IIHF: my favorite tournament of the year. I am, of course, one of the foreskin, I mean, foremost experts on SHL...stuff. So I tell ya what. When I say something about the IIHF, it's true. It's not an opinion, it's not an objective statement: it is 100% true. That being said, Latvia's winning this shit. Latvia is a secluded nation sandwiched between Lithuania and Estonia. I really don't know anyone from Latvia. I think the Knicks drafted this guy from there once. But anyway, they're the best team in the IIHF. Sure, Latvia hasn't won 3 or more games in IIHF play since S53. They are kinda the punching bags of the IIHF. But does that mean they're chumps? Does that mean they are less relevant than powerhouses like Canada, Russia, or the US? Does that mean that they don't have heart or moxy or possibly masochism? Well...I don't know. I do know that they're winning this shit. Don't even tell me otherwise. It's not true. I speak the true true. (172 words)

13. The Procrastinator Special +2 TPE
Let me just get one thing out the way real quick: I ain't no procrastinator. Just because I waited until the very last day to finish all the tasks for Championship Week doesn't mean that's a common trend for me. Ask anyone in PBE. I'm one of the most quick finishers of point tasks in the league. But, this isn't the PBE. So I admit to not being very punctual when it comes to this league. So, who is my Challenge Cup MVP? Uhhh....I don't know. Aron Hernadivic? He did some stuff. Nicholas Owens was pretty darn good the whole series. I would give it to Elizabeth Doyle but she really only had one good game the whole series. I guess I'll go Owens. Defensemen need more love. I say that as a forward but whatever. (136 words)

16. secret bonus prompt +2 TPE
I get to take Luke out on a date? Wow, it's my dream come true. I think we discussed jazz when I first came to the league. So then our destination is a no-brainer: we'd go to a TGI Fridays. I would order the finest, least expensive steak that will be massively over seasoned and extremely hard to cut into. Luke can only have salad. One of us needs to look sexy enough for the after dinner festivities. What are those festivities, you may ask? We're going to Six Flags! I'm gonna win Luke the biggest, dumbest, cheapest prize they have at the water shoot game or whatever. We wouldn't go on any rollercoasters though. Thems too scary for Daggy. After a long day, we'd cap it off by watching 2 re-runs of the Price is Right before I take my leave with the money fully intact and the love of my life retained. Quite an enchanted evening. (158 words)

17. Milestones +3 TPE
Link to same milestones in SMJHL thread. Not sure where to post it.

[Image: duncan_png.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2021, 03:25 PM by lmao.)

3+3+3+2+3+2 = 16

Code:
5. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
We're adding 2 teams to the SMJHL this season. Do you think we should keep the current SMJHL playoff format of everyone makes it? Or is it time to just take the best 8 or 12 teams and let em duke it out? Defend your stance.

To be honest, I think that it is pretty dumb that every single team makes the playoffs in the SMJHL. I obviously can understand the reasoning why that is and how it could help some people stay engaged. But it actually seems really pointless to see teams that have won like 10 games all season actually try to win a playoff series. I don't really think that those teams that would not have made it in in a more restrictive playoff format really make an impact on the playoffs at all. So with that being said I think that we should go to a new playoff format where less teams make it in.

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
What's your prediction for this season's IIHF tournament? Which teams do you expect to do well (or not well)? Which players?

Since this year I am representing both Team World in the WJC and Team Japan in the IIHF tournament, I am going to have to say I expect Japan to do really well again this season. I really believe that with the strong group of Japanese players, we can repeat the medal performance that we have seen last season. However, to be honest, with myself on the team playing as a forward instead of on defense, I have a bit of a concern! However, we still have some very strong players, such as Ryujii Minamino and Slavakov Vladimirishakov. Okay, I really cannot spell Minnesota's player name but you get the idea of who I am trying to mention. Other than the team I am representing of Japan, I have to say that I would not be surprised if Canada did very well in this season's IIHF tournament. Though, it can be such a random format that it is hard to tell who will do well.

Code:
7. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
We're at a point in the SHL where a good chunk of the playerbase played back in the STHS era, and a good chunk has known nothing but FHM. If you're in the latter part of the league you must have heard the horror stories... so: Let's make a hypothetical.

Players who played in both eras: What would have happened if we just had one sim engine? Posture how your career would have gone if we stayed in STHS (sans exploits). Or what if you had created in FHM the whole time? Would things have gone better or worse?

For you FHM babies: What if we were still in Simon T land? Would your career be where it is now? Or would randomness have stunted the dynasties you may or may not have been part of?

I am one of those players where all I have known is FHM. But I think that either way, my career would have gone okay. To be honest, it did not start out that well for me when I was a rookie with FHM, so maybe I could have done a bit better with Simon T. One of the sim leagues I was part of that is now inactive actually used Simon T, and I found it okay, but not very immersive since it is just completely text based. However I found the switch from Eastside Hockey Manager to Simon T pretty good. I am not sure about those exploits that are mentioned, so I do not have much to say about that. Though I do think it would be really annoying if everyone was trying to play using those exploits and it led to some really weird stats. Overall I definitely think we are better off with FHM.

Code:
12. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. The salt special: Do these teams deserve to be here? Or were they gifted a trip to the finals through puck luck and bullshittery?
c. Everyone's a critic: Nitpick one thing about either team's logo, jersey, rink design, goal horn, or general site demeanor.

a. I really and truly think that both of the Chicago Syndicate and the Buffalo Stampede deserved to be in the Challenge Cup finals. Both of these teams had exceptional regular season campaigns, and Chicago battled the season out in a tough division. There could have been a couple of teams I wouldn't have been surprised to make the finals either though.

c. Since I am a prospect for Chicago, I am going to lightheartedly complain about the logo and jersey of the Buffalo Stampede. I have got to say, yellow certainly suits the Chicago Syndicate better than the Buffalo Stampede's logo and jerseys. Black and yellow is a much nicer combination than green and yellow, at least in my opinion!

16. Trivia: verification word = please

17. Milestones: +3 TPE

[S78] #14 C | Jon Garfield
[SMJHL] Regina Elk

[S58] #72 LD | Shion Okamoto
[SMJHL] Newfoundland Berserkers | Former Captain | S60, S62 Four Star Cup
[SHL]  Chicago Syndicate | S64 Challenge Cup
[IIHF] Team Japan | S60 Gold
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2021, 04:03 PM by Reno.)

15. Trivia Codeword: Proudmoore (+3)

16. Alright, so I got this money and now I need to treat my main man Luke out to a nice date night. First of all, we’re going to the finest restaurant that money can buy, which knowing my standards is probably Chipotle. Yes, I will pay for guacamole, Luke deserves it. After the dinner and then subsequent bathroom trip from it, we’re going on a nice trip on the boardwalk where we can walk and hold hands while staring at the moon. Afterwards if the mood is right, we can go to the beach, lie down on our matching unicorn blankets, and snuggle while falling asleep to the sound of ocean waves. (+2)

17. Milestones (+3)

5. With expansion on the horizon I’d like to see the tradition kept of giving every team a shot to make a run for the cup when playoffs come around. The draft picks would still sort out fairly similar with lower ranked teams probably bowing out early and still getting that top draft pick they desire. That being said, as the first line right winger of Team Chaos, I want to see the top of the league get destroyed by a ragtag bunch of bots and IA goons, the elite max earning re-creates go up against Buttfart McPoopington (who wears #69 of course) as he stonewalls them in a 7 game series to send the league into shock as we probably yell at Corey for no reason in Newfoundland. (+2)

1. Well, the whole situation with the Xenomorph eggs probably wasn’t a good look for Evgeni Petrov, and due to the pending lawsuits against him from every country in the world (except Iceland), I don’t think that’s going to be over with anytime soon. I would say the worst thing that actually happened to Evgeni Petrov this season is that his human parents both got arrested for partaking in some weird cult ritual called “Peloton” and are currently being held in Vologodskiy Pyatak prison in Russia for further questioning. So while their chances of escaping are slim to literally impossible, human siblings have come to Newfoundland to hang out with Evgeni Petrov which is cool but also annoying because I no longer have my own apartment and it’s annoying. There are some great highs this season that went on off the rink to boost my morale. Evgeni finally got a girlfriend! Yes, she’s a polar bear, like an actual polar bear, but they love each other very much and are honestly the most adorable couple ever. (+3)

2. There are two pokemon that I need to catch assuming every SHL user/player is now eligible. First on the list will be catching the legendary Beeg Yoshi. Beeg Yoshi is a dual Rock/Dark type Pokemon that is known for being insanely strong and durable, and mostly Beeg. A legendary Pokemon so the catch rate is insanely low but I feel confident enough in my ability to bring it in. The next Pokemon on the list will be catching the rare and hard to find Ty. Ty is a dog type Pokemon known for its signature two moves “Sad” and “I Dimbi”. Those two moves are the single most unique moves in Pokemon history, as Ty is the only one capable of knowing both. In order to catch a Ty, you must first place a trap on the ground and put bait in it. The only bait known to bring Ty out is placing a laptop with League of Legends. Once Ty sits down at the laptop, the cry of “sad” will be your cue to throw the Pokeball. He won’t resist he’s too sad and just like that you have a Ty. (+3)

Total TPE: 16

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2021, 04:43 PM by ddrector.)

Milestones (+1 TPE)
ISFL PT (+3 TPE)
Trivia Verfication: boom (+3 TPE)
1. While dealing with things like trolls, public relations, product endorsements, and identity fraud are not fun nothing is worse than the fact that the Edmonton Blizzard did again not win the Challenge Cup. Who wants to see Chicago and Buffalo in the cup? We've seen Chicago win one recently in S57 and only two seasons before that we saw Buffalo win it, so both of these teams have recently won a Challenge Cup. A few other horrible things happened to Kobo this season. I was just shy on milestones from having 3 completed instead of the 1 that I did end up achieving. Always sucks to suck. I guess the bright spot is I am getting better and able to help Edmonton more so that we can get back to that elusive Challenge Cup. Hopefully I can hit 60 points next season, which I think is a decent goal without being unachievable. Who knows though? I will probably have bad sim luck and be worse than I was this past season. (+3 TPE)
2. Everyone knows that in order to create a strong team in Pokemon or in PokeSHL you have to have a diverse lineup of different types and styles so that you can utilize effectiveness of types and all that jazz. So I would start by trying to get one of each type or in this case team. Hopefully we have some fun cross type players, which would be players that maybe started on one SHL team and then were either traded or left in free agency for another team. Like Kobo who was a Barracuda, but is now a Blizzard. Other than finding those rare cross types that are super useful you need to get a mixture of styles. What I mean by that is you need your tank that can swallow up damage Snorlax style, these would be your big defenseman. You also need those guys who can come in quick and do a lot of damage really fast. These would be your wingers. Centers and goalies would be especially useful in those multi Pokemon battles where they can utilize status boosting moves and area of effect moves. (+3 TPE)
3. At first I thought this was just a fun prompt, but after looking at the scores of the Challenge Cup games it seems that Kobo did switch places with Chicago center Martijn Westbroek. So what had happened was after game 4 of the finals Westbroek was in Chicago at his favorite restaurant celebrating the win and going up 3 games to 1 in the cup finals. It just so happened that Kobo had been in Chicago where he had been hanging out with his good friend Acuna Matata of the PBE who likes to spend time in the offseason in Chicago where he played in the minors. They were also at this restaurant and both Westbroek and Kobo ended up going to the restroom at the same time. Well all the stalls were full and there were only two urinals, but right away they started chatting as of course they know each other. Well Kobo said something funny and they turned towards each other and crossed streams. The next morning Kobo wakes up and he realizes he is Westbroek. He calls his cell phone and meets up with Westbroek in Kobo's body, but they cant figure out how to fix it. They try crossing streams again even at the same urinal. Unfortunately, the Syndicate team plan has to fly out for game 5 that afternoon, so Kobo has to play in Westbroek's body for the rest of the finals. Unfortunately without their best player Chicago choked and lost three games in a row to Buffalo to lose the Challenge Cup. (+3 TPE)

[Image: Ugn5gZg.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2021, 09:21 PM by O4L.)

3. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
I'd takeover the body of Jules Watt. With Parker Smebs insane degree of skill and hockey sense I might actually be able to help Jules produce like an actual SHL defensemen should and finally have a season he can be proud of. The main thing I'd be able to improve is Jules Watts laziness which held him back his entire career. I'd also help him out big time by having a productive SHL season so he could finally have a chance at actually getting the Jules Watt Dedication Award turned into a reality. I'd also help gives Jules a chance at being inducted into the Syndicate HOF. Depending on how i'm feeling I might decide to play another 10 seasons and due to my innate ability to build star players help him make the actual SHL HOF while never passing 1000 TPE before regression. With Parker Smeb controlling Jules Watt the tagline of "exceptional" may finally fit his player.

I think Chicago would still be a dominant team on STHS. We were gearing our roster to be competitive long-term on STHS and were able to adapt to FHM when it came fairly easily. I think we'd be a top 3 team most seasons but it's hard to say if we'd have more cups or not. Unlike FHM, the most dominant teams on STHS didn't always win. The "randomness" of STHS gets overplayed by people who didn't spend a long time playing on it. STHS as a sim engine was actually a lot more like real hockey than FHM is. GM's just got salty when they'd build a better roster on paper and lose and complain that it's too random, which is funny since now the main GM complaint is that they can't win with a shittier roster on paper. FHM is actually more like the NBA than it is like the NHL where you can generally pick 3-4 teams at the beginning of the year and 99% of the time one of them will win the cup. STHS made the middle teams more competitive which made for a more fun and interesting league although FHM does have it's major pros like live sims, beyond that pre exploits STHS was still easily the better engine. I think Chicago would probably still have won a cup, but I think we'd probably have won earlier on than we did and probably have randomly missed the play-offs a couple times with a great roster on paper, as would other top FHM teams since it was the nature of the beast on STHS.

a. Teams who make the finals always deserve to be there, otherwise they wouldn't be there. Especially on FHM where the most important thing is building a top roster on paper which isn't easy. Chicago and Buffalo have both been top teams for seasons for a reason and if they didn't deserve to continuously be top teams in the league then someone else would take their spot from them.
b. I mean this is a weird comparison. Buffalo has been in the league longer and is more successful relative to Chicago, But Chicago is impressive due to their entire draft/game plan their first season being hard flamed by pretty much the entire league including other GM's when those GM's had no idea about the circumstances behind the draft or their moves but still flamed Chicago for being a bad expansion pick. Chicago having long-term success just goes to show it doesn't matter what the rest of the league thinks about your moves/decisions since most of their opinions really don't matter, as long as you actually know what you're doing.
c. I love everything about the Syndicate theme/logo and colors. The only nitpick I have is less of a nitpick and more of a fun fact in that the original team name was going to be the Mafia but was changed due to the fear of SHL rejecting it for being too violent. I think Syndicate ended up being the right call and the team is more interesting as a theme than flat out being the Mafia.
d. I'd pick CC2 for Chicago who was an integral part of the early Syndicate teams and should probably be the first induction into the Syndicate HOF once the new GM's set it up. Beyond that, the Smebs are the most distinctly Chicago players and will always be integral to Chicago history. Kind of hilarious how SHL history could be different if we all got drafted to different teams instead of just Chico getting drafted to Calgary. I don't think any GM's even reached out to Kyl, and only one GM besides Chicago reached out to me.

Verification: kdone

Code:
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3084283 +3

16/16

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

Code:
So this was a tough season for everyone in the SHL. Dealing with trolls online, horrible PR from product endorsements, and on top of that all some minor identity fraud to add to the pile. Are these the worst things to happen to your player this season, or did something unimaginably horrible happen? On the flip side, were there any bright spots hidden in the countless nuisances and problems? What good things on and off the ice happened this season for you?

On the ice, Salzberger ended up being quite disappointed by the season he had, he didn’t score as many goals as he wanted and he didn’t get has many points as he hoped for, and the Falcons ended the season in crushing fashion with an early exit in their first playoffs series, which is not what Lillehammersson hoped for during his last few games in the SMJHL. Off the ice, he had a pretty quiet season, since he kept mostly to himself, and he is a bit scare of going too far from his home since he lives in Detroit. However, he did get in a small car crash during the season, and he had to use the city public transportation system for a couple of days while he left his car at the garage to get some repairs. Fortunately, he didn’t witness anything outrageous in the city buses during this time.

152 words

Code:
We're adding 2 teams to the SMJHL this season. Do you think we should keep the current SMJHL playoff format of everyone makes it? Or is it time to just take the best 8 or 12 teams and let em duke it out? Defend your stance.

If the SMJHL main goal wasn’t being a development league first and foremost, I would definitely favor playoffs with eight teams to make the regular season more important and more meaningful. However, since the SMJHL goal is to develop players, I think everyone should have a change to play in the playoffs every season, even if their team gets destroy in the first round. I think the SMJHL should go forward with a system where all 14 teams make the playoffs, the only difference between having 12 and 14 is that in  the first case, four teams will get a bye during the first round, while only two will get one in the second case which is not an important difference.

121 words

Code:
We're at a point in the SHL where a good chunk of the playerbase played back in the STHS era, and a good chunk has known nothing but FHM. If you're in the latter part of the league you must have heard the horror stories... so: Let's make a hypothetical.

Players who played in both eras: What would have happened if we just had one sim engine? Posture how your career would have gone if we stayed in STHS (sans exploits). Or what if you had created in FHM the whole time? Would things have gone better or worse?

For you FHM babies: What if we were still in Simon T land? Would your career be where it is now? Or would randomness have stunted the dynasties you may or may not have been part of?

From my experience with my first player, I think my carer junior career would have gone better if will still use STHS. There were fewer attributes to distribute your TPE on, so it would have been much easier to only focus on the attributes in which I wanted my player to excel at. Since I wanted to be a fast-goal scorer, in STHS I would have focused my TPE investment on scoring and speed, while in FHM, you need to invest in a lot of different attributes to be a good goal scorer, but I like the fact that you can have a more personalized player in FHM, while with STHS, every goal scorer would be the same. I also think I would have been a more dominant player in my last season if we kept using STHS, since players with higher TPE would usually dominate, moving the TPE limit for junior players to 425 would have had a bigger impact in STHS from what I remember.

167 words

Code:

Code:

Both teams deserve to be there, Buffalo beat Hamilton, who was the second-best team during the regular season, and they also beat Atlanta, who was having a Cinderella run in four games. While Chicago may not have faced team as well as the one the Stampede play against, they did remarkably well, and they have only lost four games these playoffs.

61 words

Code:
b. Buffalo has been here many times in the past 20 seasons, this is only the second (I think I'm too lazy to check) time for Chicago. Which is more impressive? The continued dominance of Buffalo? Or the solid couple of runs Chicago has made despite the team only being 15 seasons old?

I think Buffalo ability to reach the final regularly is more impressive. I personally think that after their first five seasons an expansion team is on the same level as everyone else, since they would have had enough time to build their team, which means Chicago should have made the final more time to match Buffalo accomplishment.

57 words

Code:
15. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

norway

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 16 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

S60 SMJHL Milestones +3

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

1: 

Ty Murphy had just an okay year on the Detroit Falcons.  With every year comes adversary, but there are bright spots as well.  The game of hockey is only what you make of it.  Ty was able to get first line minutes for the entirety of the season.  He had a career high in points, goals, and assists, takeaways, and shots blocked.  He was second on his team for points, had the most assists among his teammates, and had the third most takeaways.  He was given a chance to show what he’s got and he proved he can hang with the best in the SMJHL.  Off the ice, friendships were made, workouts were performed, and guns were shot.  As the offseason comes near you can find Ty Murphy at the local pub taking a shot of bourbon wishing that next season will have just as many highs as this one did.

If I reincarnated as a Buffalo player, I would pick Sergei Potvinov.  This would effectively complete my lifelong dream of being a backup goaltender in the show.  I would do all the typical backup goalie shenanigans before the games against Chicago, including but not limited to: fucking with other players during interviews, taping skate blades to set up teammates for an embarrassing fall during warmups, cup checking the boys on the way out to the ice, smiling at the camera in funny moments, messing around behind players while they are giving media interviews, etc. etc.  As far as this affecting game performance, I imagine it will loosen the boys up a little bit and remind them to have fun out there. After all, hockey is just a game.  God forbid I actually have to play a game in the finals, I would just spam double pad stacks until they stopped working.  I imagine I would fake a groin injury pretty quickly to get out of the game.

Chicago is bad, man
Makes the finals just to choke
Despite the owners being broke
From spending to the cap, man.
Offseason additions didn’t matter
Tried to buy a Cup without climbing the ladder
All that ended up happening
Was buffalo serving their head on a platter
Chicago, you suck at hockey bud
Gave your fans all the hope
Just to toss it in the mud
How can the bridges you burn
After the fact that you turn
Most young players into busts.

Take the best 8 teams and let them play each other.  Having everyone make it is like giving out participation trophies.  Also, it increases the chance a shitty team with be carried by FHM and beat a really good contender only to get stomped in the next series.  So now there is one less contender and just another shitty team playing someone way out of their league.  With less teams making the playoffs, should the draft system/lottery change as well?  I don’t know man, I’m just thinking aloud now.  But yeah, less teams in the playoffs means there will be more incentives to win and perform in the regular season.

First off, I get a luxury limo service to come pick Luke up.  As soon as he gets in the car, I pop some champagne and pour him a glass.  Where are we going?  The best seafood place in the state baby.  I’m talking $50 for a bowl of soup expensive.  I will order for him, since he doesn’t like to be handed menus.  We will both have the lobster, scarfing that down before tiramisu and coffee.  This may feel redundant but it is what Luke would like and after all, it is him paying for the dinner kind of.  After the restaurant I would take him home and probably never call him again. 

Milestones (+3TPE)

[Image: murphy2.png]
[Image: NI78UUy.png?width=400&height=267]
[Image: Skree.gif]
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 08:48 PM by JURT.)

Code:
Ugh, poetry is so 17th century, we're ditching that prompt. Earlier in the season I had you flex your songwriting in an SHL style parody, but this time you don't have a song to lean on. You're writing your very own diss track about something SHL related. A player, A team, A GM, anything. You can write a diss track about CW if you want.

Here are the rules: At least 12 lines (and at least 60 words total) but if you wanna do more go for it. I'm not laying out a specific rhyme scheme but there has to be rhyme in it. Be creative! This prompt is not for everyone, if you have a problem with it there are like 15 other prompts I made for ya. NOTE: THIS IS ALL IN JEST; ANYTHING OVERLY MEAN OR MALICIOUS WILL NOT BE GRADED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
@LarryTheMVP
This is a song about RART
This guy smells like a fart
He buys all his gear at Wal-Mart
He kinda looks like Paul Blart

He's my brother it's a shame
He's always the one to blame
He'll never get any fame
Because his style is so lame

Seattle ought to trade him
Or send him to the outer rim
Or slit his throat just like Kim
Just kidding he's the best in the sim

Code:
I'm not sure what's available for us to use in FHM as far as playoff formats go, but I think the most teams the better for the SMJHL playoffs. First of all, you want them to be as long as the SHL playoffs and that needs as many rounds so given that there's fewer teams in the SMJHL you have to put them all-in. The main point, however, is player retention. Everything that happens in the SMJHL has to have a single goal in mind: player retention. Draft choices, trades, awards, expansions, it doesn't matter how it impacts older users, you need to keep the new ones invested. Having as many of them as possible playing in the Playoffs is obviously the right way to do that.

Code:

While my current player hasn't played during the STHS years, I did have a player back in the days of the old sim engine: Pierre Laroche-Durocher. I think STHS is one of the two main reasons why I didn't stick around after being drafted in the SHL: it seemed very obvious to me that there was one specific way to build a player that was best for every position, you'd want to max certain attributes and not care much about the other ones and yet it would be very random with the results. When I came back to take a look at where the league was back in March 2020, I saw that the move to FHM was happening which gives player a lot more flexibility with their builds and consequentially these choices have much more impact (not mentioning how there's much more customization for lines and tactics too). In STHS, JURT would never have happened. If PLD had played all his time in FHM, he might still be going or would've just retired after a Punishing Defenseman career.

Code:
13. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.
There are obviously a lot of good candidates for overall playoffs MVP and/or series MVP in the SHL. Both goalies had incredible stats throughout the playoffs, with Buffalo's Doyle having the upper hand in the end with a final GAA of 2.02 and SV% of 0.926. Mat Smith can't be forgotten on Chicaco's side either: he kept his outshot team in the game at all times during the finals. Many players wrote their names on the scoresheet more often than it was their turn, notably Martijn Westbroek and Aron Hernadivic who both finished the playoffs with well over one PPG. Overall, I think Doyle's game is really what made the difference and she'd be my choice for MVP.

Code:
14. Graphic, 3 TPE - The Procrastinator Special!
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and you also like doing graphics instead of writing. That's cool, too! Create a Series Recap broadcast graphic - the contents can be whatever you want, but your graphic must list both teams and at least 3 stats for each.
[Image: SMJHL_Finals_Who_saved_the_day.png?width=483&height=643]

Code:
Championship

Code:
MILESTONES TBD (check back later)
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3084243

[Image: lespoils.gif]
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 05:14 AM by damienj10.)

1. MILE STONES! Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 16 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3084424

6. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
What's your prediction for this season's IIHF tournament? Which teams do you expect to do well (or not well)? Which players?

My prediction is the same as my usual prediction and that prediction is Canada is going to wipe the floor with the competition. Automatic gold medal don’t even try when you’re playing Canada you lose all day everyday. The team that will also do well is Sweden. Forget the u tied states of America they are not worth even talking about. It’s all about Canada. It’s okay if you don’t agree with me because you are wrong. Anyway I always wonder why they let japan and Ireland compete as well who sign up and is like I wanna be Connor McGregor got on ice you know? Anyways gold for Canada and I will put Sweden at silver and Finland and third. Those are my predictions. Let’s go Canada get that free gold medal it won’t even be that hard just step on the ice and they will hand you the gold medal because you are legit. P.S anyone but the US can win in just biest because I’m Canadian

169 words

Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)

Now I think personally they should keep it at everyone makes it. I believe you only really stay until he SMJHL for 2 seasons before you hit the SHL as a player and we’ll obviously 3 - 4 seasons as a goaltender. Here’s the thing. To keep activity and people interested. Everyone should make playoffs in junior. Although some people like competition so maybe it’s time for the not everyone makes it. You never know until you try right. But honestly not a lot of time spent down in the juniors. That’s why I think it’s best if it stays the same system. Everyone makes playoffs in juniors. Once drafted then it’s time to fend for yourself. That just my opinion.

120 words

16. slash's secret bonus prompt SHHHHHH. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Luke let you keep the money you stole from him in the heist, and won't tell the authorities. But you have to take him on a wonderful date using the money. How does your evening go? What dining and activities do you have in store for good ol' Lukey boy?

I bought something for luke for just such an occasion. I picked him up in a limo that I was driving. I pretended to get lost and then told Iuke the limo is out of gas in the middle of nowhere. I then shoot him with a glock and dump him in a ravine. I didn’t wanna waste any money on that fraudster. What do you want me to say? I get to keep the money aaaand I get to murder this whiny dude for free. Ay I’m retired now and that Luke kid is the least of my worries. They’ll never catch me they don’t even know I am still alive as I faked my death 6 years ago. Happy trails. And happy meals to the bear in the ravine. Thank you and goodnight

135 words
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 04:58 AM by Snuffalupagus.)

1. Ups and Down +3
Code:
Fortunately for Rob Wright and the Baltimore Platoon, the rookie's first season in the Simulation Hockey League was a relative success. The Baltimore Platoon finished third in the league with 96 points with Wright himself having a spread of 9-15-24. While the professional team saw a second round exit at the hands of the Atlanta Inferno, Wright considered his first season to be a good one.

"It seems we really hit our stride in the latter half of the season." Wright goes on to say. "However there were definitely ups and downs." Rob begins counting on his fingers. "We've had losing streaks, injuries (but these were mostly mental and emotional injuries), births, deaths, and there was a pandemic IN CANON, RIGHT? But I'm happy with my performance and thrilled with how Baltimore performed."

The SHL's 61st season will be an important one for Rob Wright and the Baltimore Platoon. They look to repeat their season success whilst getting revenge on all the Sith.

4. Written +3

Code:
We scratch and plead and claw and compete
for that sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet TPE
But then comes along friggin' Championship Week
and all these prompts feel slightly weak.

So the drive is gone and so is the will
to write about Pokemon in the SHL
Not to fault our PT team
who scratch and plead and claw and compete

But it gets me to write so I feel a bit contrite
Should I thank you for this insight?
YES. YES I WILL.
THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME WRITE!

12. Written +4
a)
Code:
I believe that both the Chicago Syndicate (who finished 4th in the league in points with 92) and Buffalo Stampede (who, respectively, finished 1st in the league in points with 107) both deserved their shot at the title. Buffalo has been a powerhouse in the SHL, finished in the top 5 teams for the last 8 seasons. That kind of consistent performance alone gives them the right, I'd say. Chicago has also been a top 5 team for 6 of the last 8 seasons. [i]That[/i], too, gives the team the right to the finals. These are not flukes, these are well-managed, good, performing teams.
b)
Code:
The most impressive accomplishment between Chicago Syndicate and Buffalo Stampede, in my opinion, goes to the Buffalo Stampede. Apparently over the last 20 seasons, Buffalo has been able to consistenyl perform at an elite level as a team. 20 seasons is something like 1.5 career regressions worth, so for a team to stay on top (relatively) during that span of time, is incredible.
c)
Code:
I actually like all of the SHL teams and designs. I think they're fun and interesting. BUT, if I gotta nitpick. I guess the Chicago Syndicate logo could use some work. It looks quite busy. Here are a couple ideas in no particular order for their new logo: a gun, a windy city, two guns.
d)
Code:
One could make the argument that Aron Hernadivic is the heart and soul of the Buffalo Stampede - the S60 Challenge Cup champions. Hernadivic, a leftwing, lead the Stampede in goals (13) and points (27) and lead all forwards in ice time (21:12ATOI - Rush would be applauding). Hernadivic is constantly one of the league's top producers and highest earning TPE-ers. VIP, for sure!

15. Trivia +3
MEAT

17. Milestones +3
THIS RIGHT HERE

Platoon Rob Wright Battleborn

Code:

Personally I felt that most of the adversity I faced this season was heavily overplayed in the media. It didn’t affect me in the way it could have affected some other players. I don’t like making any excuses and I also don’t like the media trying to make excuses for me. So there’s that. My season was a disappointment on and off the ice, but it has nothing to do with the non-hockey stuff. When I’m not playing well and the team is not playing well, it reflects on my off-ice life. This season started off good and I felt better than ever. But then a rough stretch started and it never really ended. I had one less point and a bit worse +/- than in the last season, which is unacceptable. At this point of my career I should be taking steps forward every season. Next season I have to bounce back, no excuses. I have to learn how to get over bad games and bad stretches quicker. Hopefully that will also make me a more bearable person off-ice.

Code:

There’s Buffalo, Hamilton, Baltimore
Some super sad cities, wanna hear some more?
Texas, Toronto, Calgary, Chicago
Those were the places to be, maybe hundred years ago
Tampa, Minny, New England and Philly
Some very cool places if you are a hillbilly
Los Angeles, Edmonton, Atlanta and Seattle
SFP is the cowman, those teams are just our cattle
Manhattan, New Orleans, Winnipeg and Montreal
United they may stand, but from the Golden Gate they fall
Yo, did I hurt you, why do you cry?
Please stop, and start supporting the San Francisco Pride

Code:
9. Graphic, 3 TPE
Create a magazine cover that highlights either a player in the finals or a standout player from the regular season.

[Image: LDucS4L.png]

Code:

Verification word: yeehaw

Code:
16. slash's secret bonus prompt SHHHHHH. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Luke let you keep the money you stole from him in the heist, and won't tell the authorities. But you have to take him on a wonderful date using the money. How does your evening go? What dining and activities do you have in store for good ol' Lukey boy?

I got so much money, that I will actually bend over backwards to keep luke happy, that goes without saying. First, I will send a horse-drawn carriage to pick him up. But because my guess is that he doesn’t live in San Francisco, the carriage will drive him to the nearest airport. From there, he will get a private jet (with champagne and strawberries) to San Francisco International Airport. A date is not a date without some food, so a limo will pick him up and bring him to the fanciest restaurant in San Francisco, which according to Google could be Gary Danko. I would buy him the tasting menu, which seems to include stuff like glazed oysters with caviar, salmon medallions, seared filet of beef, selection of farmhouse and artisanal cheeses and baked chocolate soufflé. It will be an awesome night!

Code:
MILESTONES TBD (check back later)
Milestones: 2 TPE

[Image: sulov.gif]

The SMJHL has allowed every team to make the playoffs regardless of standings and I fully support that happening. Every team in the league should have the chance to play playoff games every season. I think many people want the SMJHL to be a competitive league like the SHL, but the fact is, it is a development league meant to get people interested in the league. You start making teams not make the playoffs and you will see teams lose players due to the long wait between regular seasons. Plus, who wouldn’t want to be on the last place team in the league and get to the Four Star Cup finals?  [111]

Thinking back on Williams career, he probably would have been more of a stud for a lot longer. The seasons before the FHM switch Williams was battling for top of the league in points and leading New Orleans. I feel like after the switch, Williams career took a weird sidestep in which his overall offensive performance went drastically down, but he became a better defensively responsable player. He would never touch a PPG in the FHM era, but was never a bad player. I think a lot of players in the S42 - S45 classes were affected negatively in the switch. Some of the league leaders were now just decent players instead of the stars of their teams. Honestly, it’s probably why I retired Williams a little earlier than most would have. He wasn’t going to be the star anymore. I’m not saying STHS is better, it isn’t, but  I wish I had more knowledge of FHM before the switch so I could have made Williams the goal scorer he was.  [170]

[Image: image0.png?width=196&height=575]

15. CW TRIVIA  Verification Word: Spooky

Luke and I would have a wonderful time going on a date. I’d spend half the money I acquired to make sure he had a great time. We’d first head off to a mysterious island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean where there are no signs of civilization besides a dock and 2 huts. We’d go to the largest hut that serves alcohol and food first. I’d order a glass of water of course, Luke could have whatever he wanted. Probably a sex on the beach or something fruity. We’d get food next, I’d get nothing, as I filled up on peanuts on the airplane. Luke would get the most extravagant lobster and steak meal he has ever seen. After that we’d head to the other hut, a hotel if you will. I’d excuse myself to the bathroom, jump out the window, jump into the already running plane, and leave Luke stranded on the island with the bill for all the expenses. Part two of the heist is now complete.  [171]

Milestones +3

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Specters Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26  |  RIP TDZ

PBE +3

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Freaky Friday.. or Monday. Tuesday? Anyhow, I think the finals will be over by Friday barring some kind of Re-sim :grimace: Anyways, I forgot the plot of the movie but there's something about a fortune cookie and now you're in your mom's body! But actually, it's the body of an SHL player, one from Chicago or Buffalo! (If you are on Buffalo or Chicago, you can't be yourself, pick a teammate or opponent). Now that you are them and they are you, what do you do during the big game? Play amazing and turn a scrub into a superstar? Play like a bum and try to help the other team win? Oggle yourself in the mirror? The world is so exciting in a new body...
I wish I had something more creative to write for this one, but ultimately I just want to experience the glory! Emilia Bergman and me were a great pair on defense back in our Anaheim Outlaws days and it is so awesome to see her have the glory and be part of a championship team. However, if you gave me these sort of Freaky Friday powers I would definitely swap places with her to get my own taste of that championship magic and make the plays on the biggest stage there is in the sport. Hopefully I'll get some fantastic blocks and keep the other team guessing and actually be a valuable part of hoisting that trophy. Other than that I would try not to be too weird about it and check myself out in the mirror or whatever because that just seems creepy. I just want the championship vibes and all that. Everything else is just a weird side effect, right? (162 words.)

Code:

(Championship Week actually is pretty fun, especially in years like this when there's a lot of fresh prompts, so I'm just doing this diss for the teepz. DO NOT TAKE PERSONALLY HAHAHA)

Yo
Championship Week is such a bore
Doing all this typing is such a chore
Even with milestones 
it feels like I have to atone
For all those shorter prompts throughout the year

So long it's something to fear
But I gotta let out a cheer
When I finally finish the prompts

I'm such a whore for TPE
But can you just give it for free
So I don't actually have to flex my brain?

With my updater pay I make it rain
But that job is such a pain
Why won't they give me a PT pass for all that?
Uh huh
Yeah

Code:
Look, if you're just going to let every team into the playoffs regardless of record, why do we even have a regular season? Just for funzies? (Okay, seeding, but I digress.) There's no way that every team should be in the playoffs. Make people earn it. I'd say let the top eight in only but I'm mean like that so maybe you want to do 12, but the idea that even crappy teams can be considered to be playoff teams just seems to be against the spirit of having the playoffs. Not unless you do some weird March Madness stuff where there's nothing but CHAOS. Though there is something to be said for chaos... (114 words)

Code:
cheese

Code:
Milestones +3

OK I did math wrong and there's actually 17 TPE worth of claims here but I hope you forgive me.

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)