Create Account

S60 Championship Week

Code:

Code:
1. Written, 3 TPE, Ups and Downs (150 words min.)
So this was a tough season for everyone in the SHL. Dealing with trolls online, horrible PR from product endorsements, and on top of that all some minor identity fraud to add to the pile. Are these the worst things to happen to your player this season, or did something unimaginably horrible happen? On the flip side, were there any bright spots hidden in the countless nuisances and problems? What good things on and off the ice happened this season for you?

This was a disappointing season for LAP and Grape Fruit. LAP was bounced in the first round again with a more promising roster than ever and it hurt more than any playoff exit before. Testing had a very favorable finish to that series but ultimately it was not meant to be. That was the big disappointment for the team but Grape Fruit did not produce as much as desired. His line mates went crazy and scored all over the place while Grape Fruit just watched, which is awesome for them and Grape Fruit is very happy for their success, just wishes to have played a bigger role throughout the season to contribute to the team's overall success. The future is still bright and hopefully things will work out better in the future but until then, Grape Fruit will be disappointed with this season's results and strive to do better. Here's to an even better next season for LAP!
+3 TPE
Code:

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Pokemon! Everyone loves em, and if you don't, you didn't have a childhood. Or adulthood. Anyways, let's imagine all SHL and SMJHL players are now pokemon. Assemble your team! On top of that, what is your strategy to navigate the POKESHL? Try to get the strongest pokemon and become champion? Catch all of the possible players and complete your pokedex? UwU Breed them? Catch low level juniors players and train them? Or become a gym leader, helping others on their path to greatness? I'd love to hear your approach.
The trick is going to be a little bit of sweet talk to join the team, a little bit of historical success and a lot of money. I would assume many SHL or SMJHL pokemon would want success but they probably want money too. Everyone has their price and the other factors contribute but ultimately the dollar signs will make it work. My strategy would to put a high dollar bill on a fishing line, luring the players in with the illusion of money only to make them play for what will probably be a disappointing amount, until I have enough players to become good then I will take over the world. I didn't play too much pokemon so maybe this would be an effective strategy or maybe not, only time will tell. One thing is for sure, if I do happen to succeed, I will indeed be very successful and the best pokemon trainer catcher whatever the term might be.
+3 TPE
Code:

Code:
5. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
We're adding 2 teams to the SMJHL this season. Do you think we should keep the current SMJHL playoff format of everyone makes it? Or is it time to just take the best 8 or 12 teams and let em duke it out? Defend your stance.
I think as many teams as possible should make the SMJHL playoffs. This is great for user engagement and I feel like rookies can fade out if their team isn't in the playoffs. Even if it's a first round sweep it's still better than not having a chance to go far in the playoffs at all. There's no real money on the line here or anything so it should be as fun as possible while making it somewhat rewarding for those who do well. At the end of the day, there's going to be plenty of disappointment for every player in their career so at least give them a fighting chance while their young.
+2 TPE
Code:

Code:
15. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

hi
+ 3 TPE
[b]Code:

[/b]

Code:
16. slash's secret bonus prompt SHHHHHH. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Luke let you keep the money you stole from him in the heist, and won't tell the authorities. But you have to take him on a wonderful date using the money. How does your evening go? What dining and activities do you have in store for good ol' Lukey boy?

I will take Luke to the library of congress. He seems to like the history of the SHL so I think he would like the collection of works they have there. He could not read everything there if he tried so I know it will keep him busy for a while. Someone will probably have to take over his responsibilities while he's gone so I guess that is actually a net negative for the SHL. Either way,  this should be a fun time for Luke. When he gets engrossed I guess I'll chill on reddit or something while he's reading. Maybe not the best date.
+2 TPE
Code:

Code:
17. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 16 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
MILESTONES TBD (check back later)

+3 TPE

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/DYZ5jqO.jpg[/img]

So this was a tough season for everyone in the SHL. Dealing with trolls online, horrible PR from product endorsements, and on top of that all some minor identity fraud to add to the pile. Are these the worst things to happen to your player this season, or did something unimaginably horrible happen? On the flip side, were there any bright spots hidden in the countless nuisances and problems? What good things on and off the ice happened this season for you?

I, Luffy Richard, have been steadily improving over the seasons. Going from washed up rookie, to someone you can least put on the ice and not have to cover your eyes. To be fair, sometimes I did as if my own eyes were closed. What is a down this season is that I am once again the only Toronto North Star (who played the entire season with the team) to be a minus player. I was a minus-four, and when you want to earn your team a cup, and veteran teammates who went through a painful rebuild, that stat sticks out like a sore thumb. I know it is not the most important stat when looking at how useful I am on the ice, but the other ones make it more clear I am the weakest link. One up was my points total shot up, and I even managed some power play time where I notched an assist, so I got that going for me. (165)

3. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Freaky Friday.. or Monday. Tuesday? Anyhow, I think the finals will be over by Friday barring some kind of Re-sim :grimace: Anyways, I forgot the plot of the movie but there's something about a fortune cookie and now you're in your mom's body! But actually, it's the body of an SHL player, one from Chicago or Buffalo! (If you are on Buffalo or Chicago, you can't be yourself, pick a teammate or opponent). Now that you are them and they are you, what do you do during the big game? Play amazing and turn a scrub into a superstar? Play like a bum and try to help the other team win? Oggle yourself in the mirror? The world is so exciting in a new body...

I, Luffy Richard, would enter into the body of that Monkey of Luffy fellow, yes the other Luffy. My essence would fully penetrate him so that I had complete control over his every action. Muahah. Oh wait, he is in me too? Damn, does that mean I will play like a scrub and not the most amazing Luffy to ever play for the North Stars? You mean to tell me he is going to tank my stats when I am so close to winning the most valuable player in the league? (I know the irony of saying how much I suck above is conflicting, but this is a freaky friday, not a self-deprecating friday. Also I’m writing this on Friday the thirteenth and that is kind of spooky). I would of course play a dominating game because that is just who I am. I would not oggle myself in the mirror because that would be wrong. . .also I do not know what that means. Is it like google? (168 words)

4. Written, 3 TPE (60 words min.)
Ugh, poetry is so 17th century, we're ditching that prompt. Earlier in the season I had you flex your songwriting in an SHL style parody, but this time you don't have a song to lean on. You're writing your very own diss track about something SHL related. A player, A team, A GM, anything. You can write a diss track about CW if you want.Here are the rules: At least 12 lines (and at least 60 words total) but if you wanna do more go for it. I'm not laying out a specific rhyme scheme but there has to be rhyme in it. Be creative! This prompt is not for everyone, if you have a problem with it there are like 15 other prompts I made for ya. NOTE: THIS IS ALL IN JEST; ANYTHING OVERLY MEAN OR MALICIOUS WILL NOT BE GRADED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

I, Luffy Richard,
Am about to spit some parts
So hold onto your pants
Because the skill I have at this is smaller than an ant
This song goes out to Sato
My roommate
Who is great
He Always bring extra Spring Fresh
So I can clean my flesh
That is right—
Sato is gonna give it to ya
And what it is
Is hygiene
He Helps me keep my eyes clean

Wait, now he sounds like my mom
That seems kind of wrong
I wonder if this has become twelve bars long

(this is supposed to be a diss track)
(I know, I am doing the Nas thing where he tells Jay Z he loves him and then etherises him)
(Oh, that’s tight)

The real diss is that I use his toothbrush
There is no rush
To wonder why
I dropped mine and that is my reply

Also I was the one who put that tack in your chair
And I was the one who put gum in your hair
So when you listen to this track you better beware
Because I’m gunnin for ya, so pack an extra pair of underwear.

We're adding 2 teams to the SMJHL this season. Do you think we should keep the current SMJHL playoff format of everyone makes it? Or is it time to just take the best 8 or 12 teams and let em duke it out? Defend your stance.

Take the best eight or twelve teams. It was a miserable feeling being the worst team and then just getting pummelled in the playoffs. It was not fun and made me dread the inevitable steamrolling we were about to receive. Sometimes the disparity between teams is just to great and there is no chance, even in a sim league where chance can play a big part, that one team can do anything but get embarrassed. Why even prepare when you know a tidal wave is not gonna stop destroying your dingy no matter how much you wave at it. It just feels more competitive and makes the season feel justified when you do not take every team in the league.

13. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

I, Luffy Richard, cannot believe what I just witnessed. What an astounding series between two dominant teams and former divisional rivals. It was like watching gods wrestle over a limited edition beanie baby. I mean, did you see that? Did you see that? Wow! Really great passing. And the goalies, I don’t see how a tendy could make it pass either of them, but you know. . .teams gotta score and such. I just. . .I almost don’t have the words. . .about a hundred of them to describe how great it all was. But in all fairness, Hippo Passamus was the true hero of the series because he is just a real passer of a hippo. Bravo to him for another great performance. Eleven assists is nothing to sneeze at, especially since, presumably, some of those came during the finals! Clutch. (139 words)

15. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

More is less.

[Image: WzzhGnr.png][Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: image0.png][Image: UMRTITC.gif]

1. +3 TPE (150words)
I think looking back no one really expected the Forge to be as good as we were. Being an afterthought this year, we really broke out and opened a lot of eyes. Ultimately we lost in Game 6, which was heartbreaking, and if im being honest still kind of stings but on the other hand I do not want to discredit the great run we had. I think with everything said and done, I am very proud of all the boys. We are still a young team and with another off-season under our belts, I think we will continue to grow into a powerhouse hopefully. Overall we are a very young team and to make the playoffs in the first season is a huge accomplishment and once the young guns gain some TPE, I think we have a real chance to become a contender. I just hope it happens before my player becomes a bum.

6. +3 TPE (195 words)
SWEDEN. With the playoffs finishing up soon, we are excited to have the team back together for another IIHF run. The last couple of seasons have not gone the way we wanted, and we look to change that this year. Last season, the Tre Kronor fielded a roster full of promising up-and-coming talent, led by veteran Swedish mainstays. With the competition continuing to become fiercer each season, last season’s roster did not achieve what they set out to do, which was to finish on that podium. With another season under our belt, the youth movement in full swing, alongside the steady veteran presence, the Tre Kronor hopes for better results this season. The infusion of young talent has provided a spark for the King Carl faithful, and we hope to shock a lot of people during this tournament. Last season's results were unacceptable for King Carl and the Swedish National Team; we are hungry to right the wrongs of last season and once again aim for a medal finish. It is Sweden’s time to show that they are a force to be reckoned with & we hope this tournament is the start of something special

12. +4 TPE
a. [54 words] I guess they deserve to be here but c’mon BUF needs to chill… can we have some other teams other than BUF each year… I’m sick and tired of BUF getting helped out and boom… finals again for them. I don’t think either team was gifted a final appearance because I believe in the league’s parity.
b. [53 words] I gotta give it up to BUF honestly, it is pretty impressive to see the continued 20 season dominance they have been putting on. I can also admit that it is slightly annoying but eh what can you do? It is kinda funny because they're like the exact opposite of real like BUF.
c. [61 words] That Chicago goal song man… hearing that makes me wanna shoot myself every time CHI scores at home. I didn’t know this was a tik tok stadium but man that song grinds my gears. Maybe its because that song is so overplayed but whatever it is, I hate that song. Olivia Rodrigo fans chill out… don’t come trying to cancel me.
d.[64 words] Gunnar Soderberg. Jess is the nicest person ever and her player is the same. Gunnar is the best player to play for CHI and please don’t try to argue that with me. I do not have any stats or numbers to back it up but going straight off personality and niceness… Gunnar Soderberg takes the crown. Please don’t @ me… this is not debatable.

15. CW TRIVIA, +3 TPE verification word: word

17. Milestones +3 TPE: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3084375

Total = 16 TPE

[Image: gurbs.gif]

17. Milestones: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3084974

15: Trivia verification: buttscratcher

7. My first player's career was played mostly in STHS but the latter years were in FHM. What's interesting is that my three career seasons were the last three in STHS, and I won the Stevens as defenseman of the year (after two consecutive runner up finishes) in that last STHS season after becoming one of the best offensive defenders in the league. Immediately after transitioning to FHM, my offense suffered. I was no longer a point producing machine (although the numbers were still decent), but what happened instead was my player became a dominant play driver and defensive powerhouse that led to three Bojo Biscuit nominations for defensive defender of the year, winning my last one in my only season with Seattle before announcing my retirement and returning to Hamilton for one final tour of duty. If we had continued playing on STHS, it seems likely that I would have continued putting up a significant number of points and may have had the offensive production to win another Stevens or two, but I likely would not have received Bojo consideration as I was not as physical in STHS. Overall, my player transitioning from an offensive force to a dominant two way defenseman with some of the best defensive impacts in the league late in his career was an interesting narrative and I can't complain as it helped me get into the HOF.

2. As a pokemon master, I can confirm that my team would be the absolute greatest thing to grace the competitive scene. My team would be as follows:

Cassius Darrow - @hhh81 - Ferrothorn - An absolute brick (steel?) wall that nothing can pass through, just like the back to back Bojo winner on the ice. Packs a surprising punch and is all about taking some heat so the rest of the team can flourish.

Jean-Uhtred Ragnarsson-Tremblay - @lespoils - Hippowdon - Another absolute defensive powerhouse, this guy is all about wearing out the other team's best. Just like JURT on the ice, Hippowdon can use a move like Yawn to force a team into a bad change after lulling them to sleep.

Kriss Darzins - @lilstifler - Garchomp - Darzins exploded offensively this year due to his offensive talent and especially his blazing speed, which is exactly what Garchomp is there to do for our squad on the battlefield.

Gabe Johnson - @Gwdjohnson - Heliolisk - Much like his favourite pokemon, Gabe just kind of exists. I'm sure there's a moveset out there that you can make viable in the right setup. I kid, mostly. Just like Gabe, Heliolisk has great offensive typing and can break through defenses.

Dee Centerman IV - @grok - Aggron - Grok is here for one reason and one reason alone, and that is to absolutely slap down anybody who even dreams of offense. Aggron is a super high-defense pokemon, and can actually clap back with physical attacks, just as DC IV did with his surprising offensive performance this season.

Vaseline Podcalzone - @bdu754 - Beeg Yoshi - Is Yoshi a pokemon? No. Do I particularly give a shit? No. I cleared the word count awhile back and this just fits

3. Early on in the series, it looked like Mat Smith was a lock for series MVP. But then, Buffalo came storming back to push it to 7, and then taking game 7 in a fairly high scoring affair. His work is still worthy of praise, but given the way things played out I think it's hard to argue against Steve Harrington for series MVP. When you come up completely clutch with a hat trick in game 7 of the Challenge Cup finals, you pretty well deserve it even without looking at the other 6 games that were played, which he was also great in. He'd get my vote if I had one.

5. The SMJHL exists primarily as a developmental league, and part of that development experience is getting to bond with your teammates over the playoffs. Having a large chunk of players essentially get an extra week or two off from having to really stay invested in the league is less than ideal when the goal is to keep people engaged. Having everyone make the playoffs is always the best option for the J, even if it leads to some wonky playoff structures. The other side of it is that a rebuilding team of mostly rookies grows a lot in terms of TPE over the course of the season, so while they may not perform well enough throughout to make the playoffs in a more punishing system, they could actually stand a reasonable chance of winning a round or two if they got a chance. Just let the kids play

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Quote:1. Written, 3 TPE, Ups and Downs (150 words min.)

The identity fraud was something Finn von Murphenstein did not particularly enjoy, especially since it got posted very publicly and he had to suffer from ridiculing for a very long time after it came out. The sex toy sponsorship debacle also was a thing that he would like to forget really quickly but other than that this season was not all to bad for Finn. He had some surprisingly good games after his second season in the higher league and even had a game winner or two so there were upsides here. Off the field Finn finally met a woman in his advanced cooking class that he really loves to spend time with after training or after a game. She is native to the Tampa area, so Finn decided to also spend his offseason here this year and not go home to Austria like he usually does. That was one of the biggest upsides this season which made everything that went badly good.

Quote:5. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)

I think especially now that we have more teams in the Juniors we should start to have "real" playoffs in the SMJHL. It was always okay to have every team make it in the small scale we had going on, but I was never really a fan of it. It takes the fun out of a lot of parts of the regular season when there is nothing to fight towards. Nothing is really on the line in the regular season and the general performance of teams does not matter at all. So I would totally go for a 12-team playoff format, it is still very inclusive to a lot of the teams but the Regular Season starts to matter.

Quote:6. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
What's your prediction for this season's IIHF tournament? Which teams do you expect to do well (or not well)? Which players?

This seasons IIHF tournament already started so it would be unfair to say I am Nostradamus and totally expected Finland to do amazingly the whole time. But they sure had a grand start to the tournament and should be on a good track this season. Other than that the usual suspects I trust will be doing amazingly as they generally do. USA is on a good track and Canada is currently standing at only one loss too, so I expect those three to do very well for the rest of the tournament as well. Next to that I can see Sweden and Japan going very far as well. Even though Great Britain is currently not doing that well Vorian Atreides has been doing quite well scoring 5 goals and 7 assists, so if Great Britain is somehow able to make it far into this tournament I can see him doing very, very well too.

Quote:12. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
c. Everyone's a critic: Nitpick one thing about either team's logo, jersey, rink design, goal horn, or general site demeanor.

If I could critique one thing about Buffalo's logo it is that it is very bad for general contrast. I like the circular badge style but I feel like the Buffalo itself could go for a rebrand one of these days to add more colors to it and make it a bit less simple. While I generally enjoy simple logos, this one went a bit too far over the finish line and could use some more shapes and colors, especially on the mascot part.

Quote:15. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

schnitzel

Quote:17. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 16 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3084988 (1 TPE)

Quote:00. ISFL Affiliate Claim, 3 TPE

ISFL Affiliate Claim, Username r0tzbua

[Image: gREvMiW.png]
Canada Timber  Jean-Jacques François Jacques-Jean || S74  Timber Canada
Austria Barracuda Kraken  Finn von Murphenstein || S57 - S72  Kraken Barracuda Austria 

Code:
This season was a bit transitionary for Foley and the Blizzard. They were looking to get younger, headlined by Jon Forty-One getting offloaded in the offseason, as well as the influx of young talent due to the FR Finn-Rhys trade the offseason prior. While it is easy to enter the season without goals beyond "score" especially when the final goal of a cup seems further to reach than before, Foley came in looking to adjust his approach to his overall game. After a downyear following a near 40 point season, Foley either wanted to score more, or defend... more? Better? Either way he wanted to improve in some part of his game. Offensively, he put up the exact same numbers with somewhat better efficiency, and better 5v5 production compared to last year, but his defensive game showed some slight regression. So like, not ideal but he had fun. Playoffs shouldn't be mentioned, as the further rounds the Blizzard reach the less points Foley seems to be able to contribute. I came into this expecting to list positives for the score sheet but I will fall back on my previously established "transition" year excuse.

On a personal note, since I do want to touch on something positive, I was officially named Co-GM of the Carolina Kraken to start the season and it's still kind of hard to believe. There's a large degree of pride I take in getting that role and it's something that officially happened this season, so it felt right to mention it.

Code:
There are two realistic options for changing up playoffs. 8 or 12 teams. FHM just makes any other option impossible. With that in mind I think an 8 team playoffs makes the most sense. While there is some degree of "engagement assistance" in letting every team get in for a developmental league, that assistance makes sense under there being equal odds for each team to make the playoffs. If we keep a 12 team playoffs that isn't possible. The top 3 in each division would make it, but with 14 teams there would end up being 2 divisions where missing is impossible, and conversely there would be 2 divisions where there would be teams with the possibility of missing the playoffs. With the divisions for the new teams undecided, there is an unfortunate reality that wherever the new teams are placed, there will be teams missing the playoffs. Since HO has the power to determine those positions, they therefore have the power to decide who makes the playoffs. That simply has to be a non-sequiter for any kind of playoff alignment, as there shold be some kind of equality in terms of teams who can make the playoffs regardless of the divsion.

Code:
7. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
We're at a point in the SHL where a good chunk of the playerbase played back in the STHS era, and a good chunk has known nothing but FHM. If you're in the latter part of the league you must have heard the horror stories... so: Let's make a hypothetical.

Players who played in both eras: What would have happened if we just had one sim engine? Posture how your career would have gone if we stayed in STHS (sans exploits). Or what if you had created in FHM the whole time? Would things have gone better or worse?

For you FHM babies: What if we were still in Simon T land? Would your career be where it is now? Or would randomness have stunted the dynasties you may or may not have been part of?
I've had the fortune of having two careers that were both purely in STHS or FHM. Saying careers is a little bit disengenuous, since I have my current career now, and then I had 1 season in the SMJHL in the STHS era. To avoid just regurgitating history and saying "I did good in FHM, bad in STHS, that again," I'll swap it up and ask if we had FHM in 2018, and STHS in 2020 (the two years I created players). If we had FHM in 2018, that frankly wouldn't change anything with my experience. Watching games is a major boon but the major reason I went inactive was a lack of earning, and the immaturity that came with missing a single task which lead to losing all momentum in sticking with the site. Career wise, I feel Veikka Toivanen would have had a bit more runway, as the aforementioned boon for FHM would have kept me a bit more engaged than I ended up being, so I would've earned a bit more. But in the end of it all, trying to keep track of capped vs. uncapped TPE, and being young just made it unrealistic.

On the other hand I feel confident I could've stuck it through with STHS was around today for the same reasons I wouldn't have stuck with old SHL w/ FHM. I came into Axel Foley's career with a more mature approach, and was ready for the grind. While I want to credit some of my return to the live streams I think the positive enforcement of the Kraken would be around even without live sims, and that would keep me coming back for more. A part of creating again was a confidence I could stick it through for a career, so if I could do that without seeing the sim engine the first time around, I could sure commit to it again.

Code:
12. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
b. Buffalo has been here many times in the past 20 seasons, this is only the second (I think I'm too lazy to check) time for Chicago. Which is more impressive? The continued dominance of Buffalo? Or the solid couple of runs Chicago has made despite the team only being 15 seasons old?
c. Everyone's a critic: Nitpick one thing about either team's logo, jersey, rink design, goal horn, or general site demeanor.

b. The continued dominance of Buffalo has to be the most impressive. Nothing against Chicago, but they have recently put together a great team to get over the hump and when you compare that to NOLA's immediate success entering the league it falls a bit flat, even though they aren't being directly compared to NOLA. On Buffalo's end they have continually been one of the top team on sites and have shown an incredible knack for drafting well, improving at the margins, etc. in order to get to this point. They have shown the ability to improve their team in every way possible. Through trades, free agency, or drafting steals (that they later trade to struggling teams for overpays, it's a vicious cycle, really). That combination makes it hard not to respect Buffalo's success more, though it's not to suggest Chicago is anything to laugh at as they are also a top team in the league.

c. Buffalo be copy and pastin' n' shi'. That's (mostly) ironic, and I don't want to nitpick their site demeanor since a lot of people do that already, and if you go across every team in the league I'm sure you could someone that gives you cause to paint a whole team as bad in some way. For Chicago I want to nitpick the logo. The Chicago Syndicate implies a whole group of people undertaking crime and things like that, but the logo is just one dude. Is that guy just one dude named Syndicate in Chicago? Why aren't there some disembodied heads or shadows behind him that give off the vibe that there's backup. Completely loses the intimidating vibe with just one dude staring you down in an alleyway when you just wanna go play hockey.

Code:
Bababooey

Code:
16. slash's secret bonus prompt SHHHHHH. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Luke let you keep the money you stole from him in the heist, and won't tell the authorities. But you have to take him on a wonderful date using the money. How does your evening go? What dining and activities do you have in store for good ol' Lukey boy?
I'm a man who knows how to wine, dine, and have a good time. Using all of Luke's money is a sure way to have a good night out so I might just start by going to an overpriced theme park. That'd probably cut through half of our available funds. Beyond that, maybe I could spot him for some ice cream and a ride out on the town (in a taxi, of course). In all reality after spurging on theme partk tickets, and the associated fast passes, I'm already dipping into my own funds for that ice cream. Am I showing my anger over spending well above budget to get drunk at a theme park? I'll let you decide.

Code:
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3084693

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 05:33 AM by Kylrad.)

6. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
What's your prediction for this season's IIHF tournament? Which teams do you expect to do well (or not well)? Which players?

Last season's IIHF tournament was one of the most interesting ones in a while, and not just cause the nation I play for one but because it saw some major shake up and upsets with usual dominant powerhouses in Canada and Great Britain both not making the medal round. The United States of America also didn't make it past the first round of knockouts resulting in a crazy knockout stage and medal rounds with Japan winning gold and Czechia silver, with one of norway/switzerland bronze. For this upcoming tournament I wouldn't be surprised to see Canada and Great Britain bounce back. I also expect teams like Japan, the USA, Czechia and Sweden to all still be pretty good. I expect Russia, Austria and Latvia to still be some of the weaker teams in the tourney. Player wise Bobby Lane of the USA has been dominant for a few tourneys now and still a great player, Luffy and Westbrook are always big contributors out of Japan along with Hernadovic on Czechia

Code:
7. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
We're at a point in the SHL where a good chunk of the playerbase played back in the STHS era, and a good chunk has known nothing but FHM. If you're in the latter part of the league you must have heard the horror stories... so: Let's make a hypothetical.

Players who played in both eras: What would have happened if we just had one sim engine? Posture how your career would have gone if we stayed in STHS (sans exploits). Or what if you had created in FHM the whole time? Would things have gone better or worse?

For you FHM babies: What if we were still in Simon T land? Would your career be where it is now? Or would randomness have stunted the dynasties you may or may not have been part of?

Daniel Smeb played in both STHS and FHM. If we stayed in STHS, individually I think my career would be much worse as Chicago's been pretty dominant for most of the FHM era and as a result my stats along with many others on Chicago's and other top teams got inflated compared to STHS. Teamwise Chicago's win to losses would be worse due to STHS being closer than FHM, cup wise i'd still think Chicago would have at least one due to constantly being a high tpe team despite the randomness, maybe we would even have more than one cup but could also have many worse seasons due to STHS. If I played my whole career on FHM I think my stats would also be worse due to Chicago being weaker at the start of their existence so my stats likely would be worse compared to starting on STHS so I guess it worked out well for my player

12. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

a. The salt special: Do these teams deserve to be here? Or were they gifted a trip to the finals through puck luck and bullshittery? I think both teams deserve to be here, beat a bunch of teams to get here pretty cleanly and were the top teams in there conferences in the regular season, usually aren't that many upsets in FHM so not much to argue usually about whether teams to deserve to make it. Think you could argue that Hamilton was better than Chicago but that's about it and those 3 teams have been the top 3 for a while now.

b. Buffalo has been here many times in the past 20 seasons, this is only the second (I think I'm too lazy to check) time for Chicago. Which is more impressive? The continued dominance of Buffalo? Or the solid couple of runs Chicago has made despite the team only being 15 seasons old?
I think Buffalo has been the more impressive team in the 15 seasons since Chicago has existed, winning their first cup when Chicago was founded in S46 and following up with 3 more and many finals appearances. I think if you look at overall franchise history though then Chicago is more impressive due to how quickly they became dominant compared to Buffalos struggles at the start of their existence.

I actually don't really have much to critic about either team, i don't really like green and yellow as a combo but Buffalo pulls it of well, I guess I don't love their jerseys but everything else is nice. Don't know what their rink looks like or goal song sounds like. For Chicago don't really have any complaints and also don't remember what the rink
looks like.

d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.
Buffalo being an older team has had many legends play for them and retire like Metzler and Marius. Current player Monkey D Luffy however might end up being the best of them all Chicago being new doesn't have as many former legends as most of their talent is current players, but they do have the legend two times dar winner 10x10 CC2 who has to be Chicago's best player all time.

past

milestones

[Image: Kylrad2.gif]
[Image: Kylrad.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 05:04 AM by taterswc.)

Code:

Makrus had a rough PR season. First his Wiki page got messed up and then he convinced a bunch of people to eat bully sticks. It was all an embarrassing ordeal. Having his identity stolen did gain him some sympathy. Luckily no one asked too many questions about how a 17-year-old kid was able to steal his identity. Makrus was excited to see his family for the first time since he faked his death. After getting home from seeing his family Makrus participated in a massive heist that in the end was a net loss. Turns out the heist wasn’t worth enough money after the expenses such as renting a helicopter, and once everyone got their cut, they realized it would have been better to just play a game of hockey for more money. After this monetary flop Makrus hit the ice more determined than ever. He then set the record for most points in a season in the J’s. All that hype ended Makrus’s season on a high note and no one even remembers the bad things that happened.
3/3
Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Pokemon! Everyone loves em, and if you don't, you didn't have a childhood. Or adulthood. Anyways, let's imagine all SHL and SMJHL players are now pokemon. Assemble your team! On top of that, what is your strategy to navigate the POKESHL? Try to get the strongest pokemon and become champion? Catch all of the possible players and complete your pokedex? UwU Breed them? Catch low level juniors players and train them? Or become a gym leader, helping others on their path to greatness? I'd love to hear your approach.
If a simulation Pokémon league existed, I would be there. Let’s hope it doesn’t and this is as close as I will ever get. Assuming the standard OU rules I will assemble a team that covers typing and roles to be the very best. The first big decision is picking your mega as you can only have one on your team. I am prioritizing a sweeper mega, so I choose Makrus “the Mega Scizor” Jager. This pokemon has a decent combination of speed and damage. He will win faceoffs and sweep a team if allowed to get a sword dance off. Next I need some type coverage in a bulkier form so I will pick up @Lorec Lev “Dragonite’ Lebedev. Lev can learn Thunder or Fire blast and is a bulky attacker to stop some of the squishier sweepers on the ice. The team needs a star on the ice so @"Minnesotafine" Slavakov “Starmie” Vladimirashenko will do nicely. Having a high special damage dealer that can know rapids spin will be great for hazard removal.  Every strong team needs a tank to soak some hits if things get out of hand. So ill pick up @Accka Olof “Blissey” Karsikko to hold the net. Now I need an opener and I can’t think of a better one than @steveoiscool Sven “Tyranitar” Svechnikov. He is tough enough to take down other openers while also able to setup a sandstorm and stealth rock on the ice. Lastly someone that can take a real hit and give it back to upset any out-of-control sweepers. Naturally I mean @visceralpotamus Pasta the Ferrothorn. With protect to stop those nasty breakaways and a rock helmet hitting pasta would be a mistake. Plus leech seed to heal back up from other players. This team is taking down the elite 4 aka the great lakes division.

3/3
Code:
11. Podcast, 3 or 4 TPE
Record a mini-podcast on any of the below topics!
-How good the PT/mPT prompts were this season
-How good these CW prompts are
-How much of a hunk that SlashACM guy is
-Oh yeah... we should talk about S60 stuff too I guess.. reg season and/or playoffs.
1 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 5 minutes or 4 TPE for 7 Minutes
2 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 6 Minutes or 4 TPE for 8 Minutes
Post the direct link to your podcast.

Spotify Link

4/4
Code:
tater

3/3
Code:
Makrus "The Tater" Jager Milestones
CENTER
Goals -> 15 or more (27)
Assists -> 33 or more (46)
Points -> 53 or more (73)

claiming 3/3
Total claim 16/16

[Image: qm0v49d.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 02:56 PM by sve7en.)

Despite some of the misfortunes of the season on and off the ice, Jimmy Wagner had a number of successes as well. Despite the third upset in three postseasons, his individual campaign this season was stronger than any season before. He started the season strong as one of the best forwards in the league over the first third, was almost an all star, got his first hat trick - and against a formidable opponent in Texas at that. Off the ice and outside the SHL Wagner thrived as well. He and Kate finally married, and this led to massive changes for him on the international side of things as he wrapped up the postseason and donned the blue and yellow of Sweden. This change seems to have been good for both national teams, as Austria is thriving with their youth finally free from the off ice situation, and Wagner has energized the Sweden offense even more, scoring 5 goals in two games to propel them to the top of group A.
170 words

The current J playoff format kind of sucked, but it had it's upsides - every team made the playoffs, teams got to see a lot of other teams, and divisions mattered a lot with the first round byes. On the other hand, the lack of a proper bracket meant the one and two division winners ended up on the same side every time, leading to some imbalanced series and finals. 14 teams means that not everyone gets to make the playoffs now, a serious issue which is hopefully rectified by another expansion soon. I still think it's better to have 12 than 8 teams in this case though, limiting the quantity of playoff missing teams should be critical here.
118 words

a. The salt special: Do these teams deserve to be here? Or were they gifted a trip to the finals through puck luck and bullshittery?
As much as I and others might hate to see another Great Lakes Final, these were the best two teams this season by a long shot. Both on the ice (regular season performances) and on paper (TPE) they were expected to make the finals and Buffalo even picked up a retained rental at the deadline to make sure it happened.
60 words
Buffalo's continued success is far more impressive when you consider the roster turnover that team has sometimes experienced. Finn and Tomen are regularly seen as top GMs in the league and this is perfect evidence of that. Every season feels like they're a threat, regardless of who they might have lost or regressed.
53 words
Chicago's new logo is fine, their alt is better, and Buffalo's colors are bad but the rest is good. Biggest gripe with either is their goal horns, which most of the league is pretty poor in that regard. Also, site demeanor is a bait topic, not losing TPE for that. 
50 words
d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.
The best active player to have played for either team is probably Corey Kennedy or Cassius Darrow. Both elite defensemen, Kennedy has been a statistics monster for the last decade and Buffalo (until this season) had struggled to win cups without Darrow despite their numerous finals appearances - leading to the belief of a Darrow curse by some.
57 words

Mat Smith is clearly the Most Valuable Player of the finals, despite losing the cup in game 7 and that game 7 featuring a Steve Harrington hat trick. Without the presence of Smith in net the series doesn't make it to game 6 let alone game 7. He started the series with a shutout that set the tone for the rest of the week where he weathered a massive number of shots and allowed space for a hot Chicago offense to get the job done. If Borro can win a playoff MVP over Dwight Knight in season 54, Mat Smith is absolutely the MVP here.
105 words

15. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. 
cool

+3, https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3085026

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

It was a tough season all around for HLO and San Francisco. After losing some much beloved locker room guys to the expansion draft, the team failed to resign their trade deadline acquisitions and again failed to land any players in Free Agency. Morale was down all around and you could tell that the group just did not feel great about the overall situation. This is the first season since the rebuild that the team had a downward swing and I think much of it can be attributed to morale. On a positive note, the team is still young and is just starting to enter their prime and there is much excitement surrounding the future and what the team will be in a couple of seasons. There are plenty of young players coming up this season to add more life to the locker room and spur on improvement and there is a feeling of cautious optimism surrounding free agency and attracting young players.

I always say Sweden is going to win because I am a homer and I want to get that gold medal but I really do think we have a great chance this season. Our core is hitting their prime and the young guys are making us incredibly deep. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team with a better outlook for the future than team Sweden at this point. I fully expect this team to be a dominant force in the IIHF for a long time to come, being able to compete with powerhouses like Canada, team USA, GB and Japan (lol). As far as what players will do well, I expect Abel Skinner to crush it. He always does. Great player and it really shows whenever he plays internationally. I also think Jimmy Wagner will have a breakout IIHF season. Him and HLO seem to have great offensive chemistry so far and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up scoring the most goals in the tournament.

a. The salt special: Do these teams deserve to be here? Or were they gifted a trip to the finals through puck luck and bullshittery?
I think the definitely deserve it, although Chicago had the easier way to the finals. I really thought they had the series locked in 5 games into it but we all know the FHM gods are fickle.
Buffalo going to Buffalo. Hamilton and Buffalos dominance in the recent era is very impressive and with how many picks they keep getting a hold of its likely only going to continue. They are being run well, they are coached well and they attract free agents. Very impressive by every metric you could possibly think of.
I'm not going to lie, I'm not a huge fan of the Syndicate branding. I'm aware of the history in Chicago and maybe its because I'm not from North America but it just seems a little stale and boring to me. Doesn't really feel like a real branding for a sports team. Never been a fan of it but I've never really been able to put my finger on why. Bunch of great guys in Chicago but the branding just isn't to my taste.
Tough one. Both teams have had so many great players over the seasons. There are some people that I absolutely love that have played for both teams that I looked up to when joining the league. I'm going to have to pick someone that was active in the league when I joined so I'm going with Hippo Passamus. Over 800 games played, great scoring pace and plays hard with an average of over 2 hits per game. Great playoff performer too.

Milestones. 3 TPE 4. 3/3 TPE Claimed

Trivia, 3TPE. Trivia word: Yes

16/16 TPE

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Code:

Every season there are moments in which there is a desire to give up because something fails as intended. This season, too, was unsurprised, and there were very sad and painful moments that I certainly wanted to forget. The beginning of the season was very good, there was a brilliant aura on the team, and everyone wanted to win at every price, which also succeeded in some way and in expert forecasts, we as a team were a very respected opponent to fight for the Cup. Personally, the start was brilliant, I was A TOP3 player on the team, but then there was a downturn. The main thing was that during this emotional pit was very helped by the coaching collective and cheered me when it was necessary. It was only for them that I succeeded in such a brilliant sequel, in which I improved all my personal records in terms of effectiveness. The shutdown games were different, of course, and there's no time to think about the baggage of your points at that time. There was a lot of family support at this difficult time when we made concessions to the Calgary team in the seven-game fight. In total, I am satisfied with this season and I hope that the next one will be more enjoyable.

[217 words]

Code:

If you asked me about the best Play-Off format in the youth league, it would be very difficult for me to answer, but I can shake my head and think. At the time I played games in the young, we were always able to reach Play-Off games, but for those teams that won great victories and failed to get a hair in this important season, there was certainly a great disappointment about the system as a whole. I would offer more of the 8/12 options that have already been touted as it would give more teams Play-Off, which would surely escalate the fight for the Cup. And young talent would have more game experience, too, because I think everyone wants to enjoy a Play-Off match, albeit at a youth level. It would certainly be higher, and the results would be more surprising, as is the case for youth hockey. I'm about the wider Play-Off capabilities.

[156 words]

Code:

Forecasts for THE IIHF tournament, I've always liked this section. Since the tournament has started, I won't be looking at the tournament table where each team is in and expressing my own subjective opinion on how it should all have looked this year. I will certainly mention the Finnish, Canadian, US and Swedish teams as favourites. They've always had a large number of talented players who definitely help play far better than other teams. As the top-down teams, I certainly can count the Latvian team I represent, as well as the Irish and surprisingly Russian team, who personally do not convince me this season, but I can make a mistake. As regards the Latvian team, the quality of the players is improving from year to year, but in general something is always preventing us from being in Play-Off games, and it is getting tired. I believe we can do this, but there's always something to go wrong. Small losses, including major debacles. We have very good strikers, and the level of guards and goalkeepers is good, but we always let in more than we can beat back. I don't want the tournament to be exciting, and every one shows a peak. Good luck to everyone.

[205 words]

Code:

a.) Both teams certainly deserve to be in exactly where they are. It's not a surprise, since both teams have dominated the league for several seasons and I'm most surprised by the stability of the Buffalo team and the breakthrough of the Chicago team. The finale will be exciting and good luck to both teams, they deserve it.

[57 words]

b.) I mentioned earlier that I was surprised by the stability of the Buffalo team, which means that the organisation of the team is very creative and very professional in its decisions, as talented players are attracted. Chicago's miracle, by contrast, is a long-standing job, and many of the new teams should learn from those teams. Maybe I'll be attracted to one of these units in the future.

[67 words]

Code:
Verification word: lilstifler

Code:
Krišs Dārziņš milestones [+3 TP]

TOTAL: 16/16
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 10:03 AM by jeffie43.)

3. For starters, Aron Hernadivic absolutely drove the offence all season. He really helped put Buffalo on the right track whenever he was needed and kept us from getting swept in the Challenge Cup Finals. He has been Buffalo's best player all season long and it was no different during the finals.

Similarly, Elizabeth Doyle put together some quality games in order to always keep the Buffalo Stampede within striking distance of their opponents. Despite not having one of her insane seasons, Doyle had a great season overall and in the end, was rewarded with a challenge cup.

Finally, I would like to show some love to Steve Harrington. Harrington had a massive Game 7 with a hat trick where he refuse to let Chicago hold the lead for long and almost willed the Buffalo Stampede to a Game 7 victory.

If I got to switch with any of them it would probably be Aron Hernadivic as he is currently Buffalo's best player and driving force throughout many games.

+ 3

6. With Germany being thrust into a tougher conference/division this season I find that they will find it tougher to do well against top notch teams with the likes of Sweden (A team that has been making some amazing transfers in order to become a true contender with the likes of Canada and such), Norway (A team that has great coaching and some quality players on its roster), the United States (Who tend to have a large number of players due to the size of the country and the popularity of the sport) and Great Britain who have always been a very strong team with a great roster of quality players.

Overall the IIHF will probably see Canada make a strong comeback this season  considering how unlucky they got last season despite how strong the roster might be. Similarly, Switzerland, Japan and Czechia also have some strong rosters and look to be contenders for the IIHF trophy this season.

+ 3

A. I mean, this one is going to be interesting, but I do think both degrees were definitely benefited by puck luck and good fortune throughout the SHL Playoffs. We have seen time and time again where teams get really unlucky (Yes, unlucky, and not outcoached or whatever) and get knocked out much earlier in the playoffs in comparison to expectations.

+ 1

B. I am definitely not biased here but I'm slamming the Buffalo part. What WannabeFinn and Women have done with Buffalo and it's consistent success has been nothing short of impressive. I don't know how they do it but to do something like that requires very good GMing and some luck involved. A lot of it has to do with the culture they have created in the LR and a lot of their emphasis on managing assets, coaching and making sure the team is operating smoothly.

+ 1

C. Personally I am not a huge fan of Buffalo's away jersey. My ideal would be something similar to Minnesota's throwback "Subway" jerseys as I find those jersey's color schemes to match the Buffalo Stampedes' color scheme well. Although the Buffalo away jerseys may match the rest, I'm still not a huge fan of the pattern scheme too much.

+ 1

D. I have no idea when it comes to Buffalo's history so I will go with Jaska Seppala. Jaska Seppala is the best player on the Stampede's roster right now and will continue to be just that for many seasons considering he isn't even in regression yet. Seppala is a great player and an even better LR presence and without him Buffalo would probably be missing 2 Challenge Cups.

+ 1

15. @WannabeFinn

+ 3

17. https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3086103

+ 3

TPE: 16

[Image: jackkanoff.gif]

[Image: jeffiesigs.gif]
Nour is pretty hot ngl

1 (3 TPE)
It was a rough season, and getting knocked out of the playoffs the way we did was not how I had hoped it would end.  But there was one bright spot: my sister had a child!  I found out she was going into labor and I was up all night wondering if I was going to be an aunt! Finally, right after our game, Tyler Leavitt Jones was brought into the world and I become an uncle!  I did not get to see him for a while until we traveled to Boston for a game against the Wolfpack.  I made sure to buy every single Platoon souvenir they have for babies to give to him. He is as a cute as a button and has the family nose, or at least that is what my mother keeps saying. 

I look forward to having him at future games and teaching him the ways of the hockey.

5: (2 TPE)
Having every team in the playoffs for the SMJHL is a two edged sword. On one hand, you want teams to earn a spot and have to compete. Finishing dead last or one spot above should not earn you a spot for the Cup. On the other hand, I get why we might want all the teams in the playoffs because it adds to the excitement, especially for new users to the SHL.  The playoffs are fun and we want everyone to experience the thrill of it, especially in an active locker room. I lean towards keeping everyone in, but just in the minor league.

15: Shovel

[Image: A9nSgBs.gif]

a

1 (3 TPE)
It was a rough season, and getting knocked out of the playoffs the way we did was not how I had hoped it would end.  But there was one bright spot: my sister had a child!  I found out she was going into labor and I was up all night wondering if I was going to be an aunt! Finally, right after our game, Tyler Leavitt Jones was brought into the world and I become an uncle!  I did not get to see him for a while until we traveled to Boston for a game against the Wolfpack.  I made sure to buy every single Platoon souvenir they have for babies to give to him. He is as a cute as a button and has the family nose, or at least that is what my mother keeps saying.

I look forward to having him at future games and teaching him the ways of the hockey.

5: (2 TPE)
Having every team in the playoffs for the SMJHL is a two edged sword. On one hand, you want teams to earn a spot and have to compete. Finishing dead last or one spot above should not earn you a spot for the Cup. On the other hand, I get why we might want all the teams in the playoffs because it adds to the excitement, especially for new users to the SHL.  The playoffs are fun and we want everyone to experience the thrill of it, especially in an active locker room. I lean towards keeping everyone in, but just in the minor league.

15: Shovel