Create Account

Shoyo Hinata - ROTY Candidate nobody is talking about
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021, 02:39 PM by Vaxlare.)

Following the release of an article claiming the top 2 ROTY candidates played for DET with no regard for data or facts, I decided to dive into the actual stats and figure out who was really deserving of the ROTY. While this is not to discredit the accomplishments of other rookies, my research yielded a few names that nobody was even talking about, and one who is deserving of the title. It's easy to throw out names like Christian Kinsinger, Spack Jarrow and Jesper Aittokallio based on goals/assists/points/Top TPE alone. However, that's a discredit to those who contribute more than that or even those who produce at a higher rate with less ice time. The players like Dominik Tretyak, Shoyo Hinata and Victor Krunk always seem to fly under the radar because they are buried on a loaded roster. Krunk and Hinata produced at the highest points per 60 of anyone in the rookie class. Tretyak had the best GAA of any goalie in the SMJHL this year as a rookie. 

The player who stands out above the other two is none other than Shoyo Hinata. Hailing from Japan, he was a 3rd round pick who nobody was talking about. Even until half way through the season he was relatively unknown. It wasn't until the GCS mid-season ranking where he moved up 35 spots did he start getting recognition. Playing on the 4th line with fellow rookies. He averaged 10:06 time on ice which is the 24th lowest in the entire SMJHL, with majority of those lower than him being inactive players. Like I mentioned above, Hinata is producing 2.61 points/60 minutes which ranks him first in the league for rookies. For reference, Kinsinger is producing at 1.70 points/60 minutes. 

Shoyo Hinata   G   A   PTS   +/-   ATIO   PPTIO   BLK   HIT
                       16  13   29    -4    10:06   0:53     55      22

Spack Jarrow
                        13  19   32     9    14:42   0:54     36      68

Christian Kinsinger
                       12  24   36     0    19:52   1:45     56      97

Jesper Aittokallio
                      12  24   36     0     15:59   0:42     51      47

We caught up with Hinata to get his thoughts on the ROTY award. 

What are your thoughts on not being mentioned among potential candidates for ROTY?
"I thinks it's fair because people are looking at the point total to make a decision. But I managed to keep close with the leaders without a lot of ice time and that should be considered."

How has being on COL contributed to your performance this year?
"Being with Colorado have helped my performances. The ambiance in the locker room makes it easy to perform on the ice night after night. The coach and gms with their tactics have made me shine as a player.

Other than yourself who do you think is deserving of ROTY and why?
"I think Lord Skrolk should be considered. He played 53 as a rookie and managed to have a .913 sv% and 28 wins."

And there you have it. The elusive sniper from Japan is humble even when his stats on the ice speak for itself. Shoyo Hinata (@"FormuleUn") for ROTY!

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]

Hyping my boy

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

Thank you for the article, it's really appreciated. If you are an SHL GM and you are reading this, I want you to know that Shoyo will continue to get better in the coming years and that he aims for the top.

[Image: 75fL0ul.png]
credit to Qwest

Raptors

Shoyo does have a pretty high P/60 against the other 3

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

Is he worth drafting without Kageyama though? I don't know if he can perform at the same level without him...

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]

Thanks for the mention.
I think Hinata is an elite prospect
Not feeling buried on my team at all,
actually everyone is contributing to my success. Armada

Dominik Tretyak
Anchorage Armada
Goalie
Magnitogorsk, RUS

[Image: PP492HY.gif]

Great work on the article.

10-01-2021, 01:46 PMVaxlare Wrote: It's easy to throw out names like Christian Kinsinger, Spack Jarrow and Jesper Aittokallio based on goals/assists/points/Top TPE alone.
I appreciate the call-out but you forgot, "devilishly handsome" to my descriptor. I'll wait for the redaction.

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

10-01-2021, 02:17 PMleviadan Wrote: Is he worth drafting without Kageyama though? I don't know if he can perform at the same level without him...
If I was a rookie rn (and hadn't been planning out my recreate story for 2 years now) I would absolutely pay to change my player name to Tobio Kageyama and jump on this train

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]