Create Account

S62 SMJHL PT #5 - MVP

The Ideen Fallah Trophy for MVP as decided by the Awards Committee is the most coveted individual award in the juniors league. Who is on track to win it this season?

Written Task: Which players are in the running for league MVP? (150 word min.)
Graphic Task: Create a graphic comparing the top 3 MVP contenders. Must include team logos and renders.

Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)

Only S62 SMJHL Rookies (S63 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.
Link PBE, WSBL or ISFL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.

Deadline: Sunday, December 5th @ 11:59pm EST

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Leb Lebedev -  I know not much to say here that his stats aren't already saying! Leb is 3rd in goals and 2nd in assists. They also are the only player on both top 10 lists. The would be no chance Leb didnt get mentioned in the MVP running.

Eddie Creller - Here is my dark horse. Creller is a huge asset to the Outlaws this year and a big reason with a turn around season from last year. Creller is 9th in league goals and only a few assists off of the top 10 list. MVP isn't all about points its also about being valuable and Creller has been very valuable in ANA as they are continuing to rebuild.

Rinky McDangle - Big bad Rinky! Rinky is 4th in goals and 2nd in points. With the Raptors heading for a cup this year Rinky is a big part of that. Though COL has a deeper supporting cast unlike Creller. It is hard not to mention Rinky with the pure scorer they are. I wouldn't be surprised he takes top points this year if he can catch Lebedev.

(188 words)

[Image: image.png?ex=65728e45&is=65601945&hm=aa5...7eb2e58f9&][Image: vanbiesbrouck_ff.png?ex=6578c8f6&is=6566...a506d1cd1&]
Sig by adamantium

ISFL Affiliate PT

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Lev Lebedev - We can't start this discussion without talking about Lebedev. As he's currently leading the SMJHL in points he's an obvious choice for the league MVP. He's running close to the top on both goals and assists with most of those coming at even strength which is quite a feat. He's also not even in the top 50 players with time on ice so he's really making the most of his opportunities. If there is one fault it's that he's playing an offensive heavy game, but we can't expect the league leader on the offensive side to also be a top defender so this shouldn't work against him much.

Valdis Vejonis - Vejonis is sticking out as the star defender in the SMJHL. With a Defensive Game Rating of 85 Anchorage's defender has put up 42 points and 97 hits while pulling in a +14 across long shifts. Everyone likes to look at total points for MVP, but this defensive output shows there are extremely valuable players on both sides of the ice.

Jonas Johansson - It's rare we talk goalies in the MVP but I think it's always worth a conversation. Johnansson has put up 2000+ minutes played and has a 24-8 record with a 92.2% save average.

My money is still on Lebedev, but I'd be happy to be surprised with someone else hitting their stride at this point of the season.

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

PBE Affiliate

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Lev Lebedev has the most to lose at the award show. He should be running away with the MVP trophy unless something terrible happens in the final stretch of the season. With ten more points than the next closest skater, Lev has easily been the most dominant skater this season. The Whalers winger is currently in the chase for both goal-scoring lead, as well as assist lead, showing his dangerous ability to make plays as well as finish them off.

An interesting contender for MVP would be a split award to both goaltenders of the Newfoundland Berserkers. Kevin Newman and Jonas Johannson both hold the number one and two spots for GAA respectively. Johansson also holds the lead for shutouts with 5, followed closely by his partner Newman with 4. Finally, both file in at numbers 2 and 3 for Save percentage. Its hard to pick between both incredible goaltenders so why not split the award.

vincent Fox is a final contender for league MVP. Currently leading the league in assists, the Kraken defenseman is putting up great numbers all around this season.

[Image: giphy.mp4]
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2021, 03:28 PM by Vik.)

I’m only going to talk about one candidate for my PT this week because doing multiple people in 150 words seemed impossible. Now I’m sure most people are going to talk about Lev Lebedev and his league lead in points or Vincent Fox leading everyone in assists and defensemen in points or maybe a goalie prospect might talk about Jonas Johansson and his impressive 6 shutouts this season. I will be focusing more on a dark horse candidate, that may not be at the top of your boards but absolutely should be. My MVP candidate for this season is Vladis Vejonis from the Anchorage Armada. Vejonis is leading the league in goals from the defensive position with 21 goals. The next closest has 15, and Vejonis has 25 assists good for 46 points as well as third for defensemen in points. But Vejonis is no one trick pony, he also leads the league in defensive game rating and is tied for the lead in game rating. He has 102 hits and 53 blocked shots, there is no doubt in my mind that Vejonis should win defenseman of the year, but I argue he is the league’s MVP this season.

@BoloBill

Need a sig :-/
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2021, 07:46 AM by SabresFan.)

Lev Lebedev leads the league in scoring and is 15 points ahead of the second place scorer on his team. He also is 10 points ahead of his nearest competitor in the league. Lebedev’s main weakness is his 69 giveaways to 16 takeaways. Even MVP candidates need a supporting cast. It helps Lebedev to have the likes of Dara McQuick taking the puck back with 33 takeaways.

Daniel Merica Jr is currently first on the St. Louis Scarecrows in goals, assists, points by 11 and shots on goal and second in hits. After looking at the entire league, Merica is second only to Lebedev in the gap between the next highest scorer on his team. If not for Merica, the race for the last playoff spot in the Atlantic conference would be a closer one.

Jonas Johanson is a clear MVP candidate as a goaltender. Johanson is fourth in the league in wins despite being twelfth in games played. Johanson’s 1.96 goals against average is first among goaltenders that had played enough games to be considered a starter. The next best goals against average is Dominik Tretyak's at 2.44. Johanson also leads the league in shutouts with 6 and save percentage among starters with 0.922. With Johanson likely to play the majority of the games down the stretch, and with Newfoundland’s league leading plus 92 goal differential, I expect Johanson to further dominate the position by the end of the season.

I missed Vladis Vejonis when looking for defensemen to consider. After reading two posts above me and checking this player's performance, he must also be inserted in this edit.

In my opinion, the most statistically dominant player in the league is Jonas Johanson. He is at or near the top in every statistical category for his position. Sure, he is helped by a strong defense around him. However, rarely do we see this level of dominance from a goaltender, leading his team to a goal differential that simply is blowing away the rest of the league. I could certainly make a case for Lebedev who is the obvious choice at first glance. I could even make the case for Merica, with his heroic effort on a weak team. At this point, I may actually have Vejonis as my second choice. Yet, unless something changes drastically by the end of the season, when the awards committee meets, my vote for MVP goes to Jonas Johanson.

[Image: embros.png]

[Image: ddIlIkT.png]  [Image: qzGJBye.png]
Player Render by Merica

Lev Lebedev VS Jonas Johansson

There is truly only two players who have a realistic shot at taking home MVP in my opinion, one skater and one goalie. 
Lev is leading the league in both goals and points, second in assists, and tied for fourth in plus/minus, while also having a takeaway to giveaway ratio of 1.27. 
Lev is absolutely destroying everyone else when it comes to the total points, and without a doubt has been the best skater on the ice every time he laces up his skates. If another skater wins over Lev it would be daylight robbery. 

The only man who can possibly dethrone Lev as most valuable player may not even be a man at all, he is a godlike goalie, a nasty netminder, and a the keystone keeper of the Zerks(the best team in the SMJHL). Johansson has been absolutely lights out. With a .707 point percentage while playing, 6 shutouts(almost 15% of his games), a 2.04 GAA, and a .919 save percentage. Jonas has by far been the best goaltender, he has gotten help from Newman as his backup, but Newfoundland wouldn’t be where they are without him. 

My vote for MVP goes to Johansson
(No bias here I promise)
Without Johansson I don’t think Newfoundland would be doing as well as they are right. The award isn’t best player, it’s most valuable. I think Johansson has been the most valuable player for Newfoundland and for the SMJHL in general.

[Image: ROZESIG.png?ex=65571031&is=65449b31&hm=9...height=654]

The one true MVP is incredibly clear and obvious. When you look at the best team by a mile in goal differential and not letting goals in without a dominant defense in front of them, albeit solid, and a very impressive second place in the league standing, Jonas Johansson has been my MVP vote for awhile. To truly understand the quiet confidence he brings in net, the calmness that belies his importance. People don't tend to vote for the quiet goalie as MVP. They're not posting gaudy point totals, but the position definitely lends itself much more strongly to being the most valuable. He plays 60 minutes a game and posts a 2.04 goals against average and a .919 save percentage. Truly staggering numbers, that are backing the strong start by Newfoundland and putting the league on notice heading into the playoffs. With that said, my vote for MVP is without reservation, Jonas Johansson.

At this point in the season and as many others have mentioned there is one forward who is making a clear case for MVP and that person is Lev Lebedev of the Vancouver Whalers. Lev currently leads the league in points with 80, 18 points ahead of second. Lev has accomplished this with 36 goals and 44 assists along with a plus/minus of of +40. It's hard to make a case against Lev as being league MVP.

But there is someone else who is making a strong case for league MVP and this is Berserkers goal Jonas Johansson. Jonas has been quietly making a case as many have been focusing on the season that Lev has been having. Jonas has been leading the Berserkers with 29 wins and 7 of those wins coming as shut outs. Lev has been able to accomplish this by boasting an impressive 1.96 GAA and a 0.920 save percentage. 

Lev and Jonas are the leading candidates for the league MVP and these final few games will be telling and both players will both do their best to make their case for why they should be the MVP of the SMJHL

To figure this out we need to take a serious look at those that have a shot. For that let's look at the top 3 players for the MVP. As of this writing, Jay Cue holds the 3rd spot simply because he has more games played. In 58 games Cue has 25 goals, 37 assists, and 61 points. Cue is a + 15 and has 21 power-play points.

Above Cue, sitting in 2nd is Gonzo Gobbledygook. The Colorado forward has 28 goals and 34 assists for 61 points. Tied with Jay Cue. Gonzo is a + 19 and has 18 power-play points.

Sitting above everyone in the league is Lev Lebedev. The Vancouver forward is miles ahead of everyone with 36 goals and 44 assists for a huge 80 points this season. A + 40 and 16 power-play points.

You may wonder why the +/- is mentioned as we love to say it means nothing but, in fact, it just shows how productive and how much of a non-liability they are on the ice. Yeah, they can put up points but they won’t necessarily hurt their own team when they are on the ice.

To Top it off the power-play points for players at the top of the league in points is a huge consideration. For example, Jay cue has 21 power-play points and 61 points. So 21 of his 61 are on the powerplay. Gonzo Gobbledygook has 18 of his 61 points on the Powerplay. Both these players seemed to pad their stats on the Powerplay whereas Lev Lebedev has the lowest of the 3 in terms of powerplay points and still has close to 20 points more on the season. Basically, Lev Lebedev scores more 5 on 5 than his closest competition. He does it arguably during the toughest times to score, when there are more players on the ice.

In my book, Lev Lebedev is by far the league's MVP this season. ( Sorry I wrote so much )

[Image: 54855_s.gif]

Knights ||  Patriotes

Whalers|| Renegades ||  Patriotes ||  Finland

Renegades ||Militia ||Canada  

[Image: jearim.gif]

Jonas Johansson – With an impregnable defense and a terror at the keep the Nevada Battleborn have arguably the hottest netminder right now. Top marks in save percentage, best in the league so far for Shutouts (can you type shutouts, or is that a bad omen? Shutout.), and the best starter for GAA, Jonas has a strong case to be one of the top candidates for league MVP this season. It looks like there is a great development system in Nevada for Goalies, as the backup Kevin Newman is having excellent numbers this year too.. Goalie stats can often be supplemented from great play from his team in front of him, but night in, night out, Jonas is a competitor to keep his team in the game.

Lev Lebedev – How can Lev not be in the conversation. Leading in goals and assists in the J, this dynamic forward is on an exciting line. Teams have tried to shut down Lev all season, but they keep finding new ways in order to put his team ahead. Unless someone can find a long term answer in shutting down Lev, teams should fear this forward when he is in their end.

Randy Marsh – 107 PIMS, 9 Fights won, 19 fights total. How do you not appreciate this warrior for the Timber? This beast from the East can singlehandedly change the momentum for each and every game. Rallying his troops, and striking fear in the enemy. Anyone who has anything negative to say about this glorious man, with his gigantic balls, would love to have him on their team as well. They’re just salty.

Affiliate ISFL PT