Create Account

Are things starting to look up in regards to parity?

A lot of people might know me as the guy who goes on and on about parity at this point, that person who has been a broken record and sounding on the alarm bells on this issue literally from the day we switched to FHM. So why not try something different this time? After looking at the playoffs that are currently going on, I have been wondering: Are things finally starting to look up in regards to parity? Are the multitudes of changes we have made finally starting to have a real effect?

I specifically had this thought when looking at these playoffs. For the first time in a while, things seem to actually be reasonably close not just in a select few series, but throughout the entire playoffs. So far we have only seen a total of three sweeps, on the other hand about half the series have gone to 6 or 7 games. Both top seeds didn't make it to the finals and the two teams that are in the finals are currently in a very close battle - with Texas having to battle especially hard through a couple of close series to even get there, but currently leading against a HAM team that seemed to have a much easier time in what was considered a tougher conference.

Contrast that to the previous season where only a single first round match-up even went past 5 games, where we had six sweeps over the entirey of the playoffs including one in the conference finals and one in the cup finals. The S60 playoffs weren't quite as bad but still less close than the S62 ones I would argue, for example there were five sweeps in total compared to this seasons three.

There still are some counter points you could make of course: For example, aside from ther series that took Texas and Hamilton the finals, every game but one was won by the higher seed. Of the three sweeps we had, one was in the Conference Finals. And while the team that arguably had the most dominant performance in these playoffs went into the postseason as only the #3 seed, it is also the team that basically kickstarted the whole parity issue in the first place: the Hamilton Steelhawks. So one could argue that they still have the sim figured out more than anyone else if they can dominate the playoffs like that despite an okay but not great regular season.

But what do you think? Are these playoffs just a fluke or a sign of a fundamental improvement that we can expect to continue?

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

parity will be achieved when i win a cup

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2021, 06:09 PM by luke.)

I think the steps towards parity is being achieved. But there is more work to be done in order to increase parity so like you said, its not the top seeds winning each series. It is encouraging there are tighter series, its just I would like to see more upsets

edit: we actually did see one upset. SEA (lower seed) beat CGY (higher seed) in 7

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

12-21-2021, 06:07 PMluketd Wrote: I think the steps towards parity is being achieved. But there is more work to be done in order to increase parity so like you said, its not the top seeds winning each series. It is encouraging there are tighter series, its just I would like to see more upsets

edit: we actually did see one upset. SEA (lower seed) beat CGY  (higher seed)  in 7

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

No, not really. The only reason the conference finals weren't the same 4 teams as last time was the coin flip ham/buf and chi/Tex series happened in rd 2

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

12-21-2021, 08:18 PMSlashACM Wrote: No, not really. The only reason the conference finals weren't the same 4 teams as last time was the coin flip ham/buf and chi/Tex series happened in rd 2
Well, yeah. We changed the playoff format.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

regression changes will likely have an impact but it's unclear how long that will take to be tangible

FHM reigns supreme

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

parity is when the baltimore platoon win the cup.. not parity is when that doesn't when it isn't the cup won't go to the platoon.

Maybe with the new regression changes there could be 4th lines in the SHL. Call up players a season or two earlier since they regress faster now.

No wait, I'm a J GM now. Don't do this. Bad idea.

[Image: Aleris-Sig3.gif?ex=66246b80&is=66231a00&...e44aac877&]
[Image: Qfss7w7.png][Image: Eo2nBCt.png]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]

12-22-2021, 04:07 AMefiug Wrote: parity is when the baltimore platoon win the cup. NOT parity is when that doesn't. When it isn't, the cup won't go to the platoon.

Fixed with grammar, for people like me who have been trying to decipher this for two days.

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 08:37 PM by Tylar.)

low key do a league re-draft, would provide content and make some teams not ass (:

SAD

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

12-27-2021, 08:37 PMTylar Wrote: low key do a league re-draft, would provide content and make some teams not ass (:

SAD
HO please this is the best idea I’ve heard.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

12-27-2021, 08:37 PMTylar Wrote: low key do a league re-draft, would provide content and make some teams not ass (:

SAD

Tbf the shn did this and teams were still ass

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

12-27-2021, 09:23 PMfishy Wrote:

SAD

Tbf the shn did this and teams were still ass
Yea btw, did you ever finish that series?

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31