Create Account

S63 SMJHL PT #2 - Tactical Meeting
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2022, 10:08 AM by Mutedfaith.)

You've settled in into your lockerroom and gotten to know all your new teammates. The preseason went well, and your GMs want to talk to you before the upcoming regular season games. They're trying to pieve together your line and would like your input on the tactics and strategy they have in mind.
Written option: What kind of tactics is your line going to deploy? How does your player fit into these tactics? Can be 5-on-5 tactics, special teams, defensive tactics, offensive tactics, surprise us.
Must include 150 words.
Graphic option: Show your player in his/her tactical role. Must include the role and player name.
Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)
Only S63 SMJHL Rookies (S64 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.
Link PBE, WSBL or NSFL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.
Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.
Deadline: Sunday, January 23rd @ 11:59pm EST

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Quote:They're trying to pieve together your line

Tom Fid- I mean Backup Goaltender is very choosy about his tactics, so much so that he's been in a few rows with the coaching staff. But after careful deliberation and a few bruises, everyone has decided on a few different styles of play. Backup Goaltender plays as a Point Shooter. His high strength, shooting range, and shooting accuracy helps him to send the puck to the net with relative consistency (in as much as one is able), but the secret sauce to being a good offensive defenseman is getting open. Often an under-utilized stat in the rookie world, getting open is important not just for receiving good passes, but also being in a position to shoot simultaneously. Because he likes to shoot so much, his shooting slider should be bumped all the way to 2, whereas most defenseman should be at 1. Most defensemen with shooting set too high will consistently clap bombs at nothing and lose possession. For this reason, backup goaltender focuses on good skating as well, to be able to recover from blocked shots.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

While the lines aren't totally set this early in the season, something that's been a focus in practice for my line is strength in defense. Specifically, my experience keeping forwards out of the crease is something that coaches have called out as an important part of the tactics of our line. Detroit struggled especially hard with defense last season, and it's clear that management intends to correct that weakness in the team's game. I've got a good eye for what the offense wants to do when they enter the zone, so expect to see me denying passing lanes, blocking shots, and playing the body to turn over the puck.

In terms of offense, my role is to secure the puck and put it on the tape of our talented forwards. I've done some shooting practice, but my teammates find the back of the net much more easily than I do. When we've got control in the offensive zone, you'll likely find me at the point shuffling passes to give the boys a good scoring opportunity. Hopefully the goalies will let their guards down and give me the chance to put a slapshot on my highlight reel.

In the preseason, lines and tactics were all over the place, but things will settle into place after a few games in the regular season. QCC is coming off an unexpectedly successful preseason, and hopes to keep that performance alive with hot rookie Justin Time in net as the starter, rather than the backup, for his first season in the SMJHL. While the other rookies are finding their place as playmakers or two way defensemen, and the returning veterans look to fill key roles clearing the crease or crashing the net, Justin Time has only one tactic on his mind: stopping the puck. His newly upgraded positioning and reflexes will be key to putting himself in a position to stop the puck when the team is in the defensive zone, and his poor passing and puckhandling will ensure that he doesn't try to do anything else. When the team is on offense and there are no pucks to be stopped, Time still hopes to contribute in a meaningful way by shouting "GO TEAM!" and "SHOOT!" at the top of his lungs until he finds himself on defense or pulled to the bench.

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

As a backup you have to have good tactics to not only help you team but to work on yourself. using good tactics is important to becoming a better player because you are looked at as a future starter which is insanely more difficult if you don't know what you are doing. Adam is obviously more focused on stopping the puck but another really important thing to work on is my positioning its hard to stop the puck and keep it safe when you don't even know where to stand. another important thing to work on is my reflexes. I also think my rebounding is good to work on my first pre season game a lot of the goals came off of rebounds. Strategy wise for my team I've only had the couple pre season games with them but i feel we have good opportunities to shoot and we take them we just need to work on finding the back of the net more.
[Image: Kya3nDx.png]

This preseason was a small awakening for young forward Rylie Versie. After showing off his ability to score in the first two meetings, he went on a five game point streak adding five assists to his stat line. Versi finished the preseason with two goals and five assists for a total of seven points. While Versi is feeling confident from the preseason, he is not entirely sure where he will slot into the roster full time. However Versi's ability to read the play, make smart passes, and a decent shot, you could expect to see Versi used up and down the lineup as the rookie finds his stride in his first season. Standing at just 5ft 9in you wont find Versi in front of the goalie much, but what he lacks in size he makes up for with his skating and ability to get open and make plays. Rylie is excited for whatever line he ends up on and you can count on this kid making the best of whatever is thrown at him this season, and with the encouragement of vocal goaltender Justin Time shouting from across the ice, QCC should have a lot to be excited about with their young talent.

[Image: ykvg72u.png]
[Image: kcP9WEd.png]
Professional frogposter
Electric lettuce enthusiast

The tactic my line had in mind was the Power-Play. Cloutier is a bomb on the point, with a wicked slap shot and on point accuracy, he can nail a shot top shelf from the blue line. On the Penalty-Kill, if he gets the space, a clear from the zone is as easy as pie. 5 on 5 isn't Cloutier's strong point, but he is good on the rush, going down and ripping a shot from the top of the circle. Cloutier wants to get more time on the Power Play, and he is willing to put in the work and effort this season to be put on the first line Power Play, and more ice time 5 on 5 too. He has a lot of goals for the year as a rookie in the SMJHL, and the biggest is to be drafted in the first round in the coming year.

S72 Best Season of All Time
[Image: S72_IIHF_CHAMPS.png?ex=661c5898&is=6609e...height=662]      [Image: S72_4-STAR_CHAMPS.png?ex=661c5873&is=660...height=662]

I was pretty excited to join such a deep team at the draft, that is until I realized deep teams mean little ice time. The coach didn't ask what I thought would make sense for the lines, he asked me what kind of refreshments I wanted in the press box. "If there is an injury or I need to shake things up I might be able to get you out there for a few minutes. As long as you keep working hard on your off days."

The GM came by after my meeting with the coach and told me that was just posturing, I would be on the 3rd pairing and maybe some PK if I showed I could handle it. However, if they saw an opportunity to upgrade on D he asked if I might be open a small role as a 4th line forward. I of course am open to doing whatever it takes to help the team as long as it makes sense to me.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Although I am a center by trade I am hoping to embrace a playstyle where I can do quite literally everything. Being Mr. Reliable on defense is great, same with being a Two-Way Forward. HOWEVER, being able to have the same scoring prowess at the dot as someone playing the wing is something not every center can say for themselves. With that being the case, I look forward to embracing a style of play that is incredibly cutthroat on the offensive end of the ice. With the prestige that comes with being a member of the Newfoundland Berzerkers you can except us to always be firing on all cylinders on both ends of the ice with that being the case, the concern for me having to have the defensive prowess of the likes of NHL Selke winner Patrice Bergeron, are non existent, given our stout defensemen and goaltending, as well as incredibly talented two-way wingers.

[Image: minadsslatt.png]

AJ Williams is a goal scoring sniper playing on the right wing. Offensive tactics are his specialty as all he wants to do is score. Tactics that work for Williams would be a puck possession full attack. Carrying the puck in deep, no dump and chase, and moving it around until a scoring opportunity has appeared. By full attack, this doesn't mean holding onto the puck for a minute waiting for the perfect opportunity, but any opportunity that can get a puck on net. After every shot, the forwards skate hard to retrieve it back and continue this pressure for 45 seconds to a minute before changing.
A great line combo for this would be Williams (sniper), with a playmaker and a checking power forward. The playmaker has good vision and hands, being able to find Williams whenever he is open, or move the puck down low/to the power forward in front of the net. The power forward is used as a down low, goalie screening, board checking forward. He gets the greasy rebounds but also wins puck battles in the corner to keep the attack moving. Williams is the high guy, an agile skater who can always find the open ice and prepare himself to receive a pass and take a shot.

Hmmm I'm not quite sure I should share all the aspects of our genius master plan here because I'm certain other GMs and players are reading this as well... But alright they can probably already tell a few things from watching the first sim of the season that just happened tonight and one of the takeaways from that was that I might actually be getting a shot at some top-six time right away because our team is a bit short on Forwards at the moment. It is actually quite a good opportunity I find because our team might still be decently competitive, not a cup favorite by any means but not a hopeless bottom feeder either. A lot of young players have to basically choose between just playing a depth role on a stacked team in their first season or get some quality ice time on a really bad one, and maybe I have found a nice middle ground here.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2022, 07:56 AM by Trempale.)

ISFL affiliate claim

[Image: IMG_4351.jpg?width=507&height=676]

After our somewhat decent pre-season, the tactics that I would like seen deployed for my line in being an overall great line offensively and defensively. I know some lines are more focused on offence and some on defense but I am hoping our line can have a balanced tactic because although I do want to see some points for my player but I would also like to see a great plus/minus value for my player. I do not want to be on the line that lets up all of the goals and have the rest of the team hate us. I do not believe I am on any of the special teams tactics but if I am, I hope to be able to run the powerplay and with my line and run the top by getting some assists. If were looking on tactic specifics, I am hoping we can be good back checkers, dump and chase and an overall run the middle of the ice type of line, not letting people get in hard on us and stopping before they set up in our end. 

Words - 187

PBE PT

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

Since I'm a goalkeeper, my role in tactical terms is much smaller, but there are nuances that I also need to know about actions in defense so I can more successfully capture throws, take the right positions. The team clearly needs to play well in defense, because otherwise we allow opponents to do throws too much, and consequently it is more difficult for the goalkeeper to capture the pucks. The coach forces players to take defensive action accurately, a lot to block the pucks to help the goalkeeper. That kind of playing style is very good and enjoyable for me too, although I feel better when more there are more shots on goal. I guess I haven't yet won the coaching trust and I'm expected to be a reservist for most of the season, but I believe I can play well and I hope I can see my debut at the Detroit net soon. Need to keep working hard.