Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #1 - Preseason Game One!
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2022, 05:24 PM by CptSquall. Edited 1 time in total.)

Heading into our first preseason contest, there was a lot of good energy in the locker room. These were the guys who made the cut, the ones who survived the two-a-day practices, the bag skates, and all the usual rigors of an intense training camp. Was it tough? Yes. But you can't blame the coaches, they were only doing their jobs, trying to determine who really had it in the crunch. I mean, anyone can pirouette around the ice when they're fresh, but once you feel like you're completely spent and simply can't go on, it's a completely different story. Funny thing, but that's the story that seems to matter most to the coaches.

Next came the inter-squad scrimmages where we tested each others fitness and sheer desire to be here. Guys were competing for jobs and that's no laughing matter. You might be surprised what a guy on the bubble is willing to do if he thinks his entire career could be on the line. Put it this way, when the coaches are watching, make sure you're not between him and the boards.

So here we were. Opening night. Preseason yes, but it still meant a lot to get off on the right foot. They say people are creatures of habit, that most things you or I do are a result of habit. If that's true, it's never too early to start building good winning habits.

As we walked down the tunnel to take the ice for the first time, the guys were electric, chattering up a storm of positive encouragement. It was all: "Atta boy, atta boy, we got this, let's go, let's go!"  At this moment more than any other, I felt so proud to be part of the team and I wanted to do all I could to help my teammates succeed.

I mentioned earlier how much good energy was in the room, and on this night it translated beautifully onto the ice. From the opening drop of the puck, the Maine Timber dominated play exploding for six unanswered goals in the first period! And it was more than just offense, as the Elk looked disorganized and confused as we threw a wet blanket over their attack, limiting them to just 5 shots on goal for the entire game. It doesn't get much more dominating than that.

Now to be fair, Regina's a good team and they'll be back, possibly with a vengeance, so we can't read too much into a single exhibition game. It's all part of managing the inevitable ups and downs. The key I think, is to maintain a balance by not getting too high or too low over a single outcome. No matter how good or bad the result may be. For now we're happy with the way this game went, but we know there are much tougher tests ahead.

I should also mention that at the 14:31 mark of the first, I scored my first ever SMJHL goal in my first ever game!!  Yay Obviously I couldn't be more thrilled about it, and I want to send a very special shout out to (@RomanceBrownJr ) Mando Lorian and (@TheGreatToeJam ) Emil Egli for setting me up. Thanks for helping a kid out! And yes, in case you're wondering, they did retrieve the puck for me. That baby's goin' up on the mantle!

The rest of the game was a bit of a blur as scoring my first ever had left me feeling somewhat surreal. Among the Timber who had great nights were (the aforementioned) first star (@TheGreatToeJam ) Emil Egli who scored two goals and an assist from his left defense position. A fabulous night from the backend! Then, not to be outdone, second star (@Tonzy ) Perry Theplatypus also racked up two goals and an assist to put the icing on the cake! Great job Perry! Last but not least, the third star of the evening was also from the Timber as (@curbeecurbs ) Iam Downski registered a goal and two apples to complete a triple play three point night!!!

Congratulations to all three Timber stars. Way to lead the way boys!

You know it's funny, but I don't recall the Timber ever telling me I was signing on to a powerhouse? The final score was 8-1, so we'll enjoy this one tonight, but we know the real work starts tomorrow.

Quote:759 Words

A proud member of the Season 67 [Image: 4star.png] Four Star Cup champion Maine Timber!!  Timber

[Image: swift.png]

Maine Timber Alternate Captain!  Timber

Thanks to @Merica for the sig!

- - - - - - -

[Image: popcorn.gif] If you Heart hockey  Fan Fiction, (FHM style): Click Here!

Approved, +5 TPE to @jumpSeat

[Image: CptSquall.gif]