Create Account

Called on the Carpet!

It was a cold, damp December morning in southeast Maine as I pulled my brand new Jeep Wrangler off road and into the lot. There was more open space than vehicles at this time of day, but still, that didn't stop the overnight crew from taking my usual spot. "Just you wait 'til it's my picture on the banner over the door," I muttered under frosty breath while hoisting bags from the rear compartment. As I turned and walked toward the player entrance, I saw the silhouette of a familiar figure, a behemoth of a man standing vigil by the door like a mama hen watching over her chicks.

His name was Keith Henderson, and he always had that same expression on his face, like he'd just as soon squeeze your head 'til it popped as say hello.

Big Keith: "Boss wants to see ya, right away!"

Daniel Swift: "Who me?"

I stood dumbfounded for a moment, quite perplexed over what this might be about?

Daniel Swift: "Did he say why?"

Big Keith: "Nope. Just wants to see you now!"

As I stumbled through the doorway my mind was racing with various possibilities. What might he have heard? What could he have discovered? Did someone rat me out? A thousand and one possibilities, but no real clue. And so I marched, like a condemned man on death row, toward an impromptu meeting in the front office, wondering more intensely with each step. Was this it? Had they finally caught on to me?

Receptionist Rachel: "Hey Swifty, Boss wants to see you!"

Swifty: "Uh, yeah, I heard. Thanks... I guess."

Moments later I meekly knocked on the door and took a short nervous breath. "Come in!" An unfamiliar voice bellowed from behind the hardwood. As I reached for the doorknob, I could feel a slight flutter in my stomach, like that of a man literally not knowing what's around the next corner.

Unfamiliar Voice: "Ah, there you are! Allow me to introduce myself, I'm the owner of the team, Sir Mega Bucks, but you can call me sir!"

Swifty: "Uh, okay... Sir."

Mega Bucks: Have a seat young man, have a seat!"

Swifty: "Uh, sir if this about the giant spiders in the ice girls locker room, I... I can explain..."

Mega Bucks: "Ah, no no. Nothing like that. I like to make it a point to meet all my new players and see how they're getting on with the team."

Swifty: "Oh, is that all? Well, ah, fine sir. Getting along fine."

Mega Bucks: "And so you have no idea who spiked the punch in the owner's box?!"

Suddenly my face turned bright red...

Mega Bucks: " Ha, ha, just messing with you kid! It actually improved the flavor. So no harm no foul!"

Swifty: "Uh, thank you sir."

Mr. Bucks paused for a second or two to flick the ash off the end of his thick cigar.

Mega Bucks: "Now then, what about our GM's, how's your relationship with them?"

Swifty: "Honestly sir it's been very positive, Nibbles and Krash are both very welcoming and supportive. It's been a real pleasure working under a couple experienced pros who really know their craft. And I have to say, in all seriousness, they've both been very good to me."

Mega Bucks: "All right son, thank you. That's all I wanted to hear!"

Mr. Bucks leaned back and took a deep puff on his big stogey, before suddenly breaking into an uncontrollable coughing fit.

Mega Bucks: "Okay, *cough cough* that's all! *cough cough* You can go now!"

- - -

* Disclaimer: The preceding story is based on actual events. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent. *

Quote:The counter thingy says: 635 Words

A proud member of the Season 67 [Image: 4star.png] Four Star Cup champion Maine Timber!!  Timber

[Image: swift.png]

Maine Timber Alternate Captain!  Timber

Thanks to @Merica for the sig!

- - - - - - -

[Image: popcorn.gif] If you Heart hockey  Fan Fiction, (FHM style): Click Here!

Sir Mega Bucks

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]