Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive 2 - A Tale of Two Sims
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2022, 05:39 AM by Opera_Phantom. Edited 1 time in total.)

I have been here long enough to remember the days of STHS. The famous Simon T, Simon Tremblay, who without him and his genius invention of the sim engine, we would not be here today and I would not be using up my precious friday night time to be writing this article for you guys. Yet, here I am, so thank you Simon.

What can I say about the engine. It was long lived, and was well lived until the final few seasons. The dominance of a few teams and some loop holes created controversy around the league. At the tail end of the sim engines contract with the Simulation Hockey League, a couple of teams had realized that if your team was Scoring stat heavy, it would off balance the sim and you would just out shoot every opponent you faced. It created dynasty's, with only a couple of teams realizing the easy setup you needed to do in order for you to constantly win and go far in the playoffs.

Then came the FHM engine, a contract signed between the Simulation Hockey League and Out of the Park Developments. A contract signed indefinitely, until other loopholes and cheats are figured out by the smart brains that the SHL holds in its community. I can remember being around the center of it, back in Season 54 when the New Orleans Specters won the Challenge Cup. Being on that roster, we had 2 defense-man on a pairing by the name of Darnell Johnson and Joln Dubolk. With a loophole of their play types. And it was figured out that if you play them both as Crease-Clearing defenseman or something of that nature, it was like impossible to score, which caused controversy considering that it was discovered in the finals of the playoffs.
There was also another situation discovered by someone in the league. Where if you leave the 4th line lineup empty by a player or two, your top line forwards get more ice time compared to the rest of your team, and would cause problems for the line matching as well. The top line players or the ones that you would set as the extra skaters if anything ever happens on the ice, would jump on and cause problems with the other teams lines.

Now, I have been away from the league for a while but have noticed that we are on an updated sim engine of the Fantasy Hockey Manager. Have I missed other controversies or any other loopholes found by certain teams here in the league? I am not sure, but my money would be on yes I did. If there has not been a loophole found or banned from the league yet, it is either because enough testing has been done or that the league has yet to find it. We are all here to enjoy our time but also be competitive. Any edge that a team can find to better their chance of winning, they will do it as long as it is legal. People will continue to test and figure out more ways to get an edge on their opponent and I tip my hat to the people who put in and devote ample amount of time to the league. In the end, it is with testing and finding these problems or cheats that end up bettering the sim engine and the experience of the league. Maybe one day we will finally be able to have a balanced scale on the SHL.

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature

@Bruins10 APPROVED! +5 TPE