Create Account

What do you think about the first season of FHM8?

Just a very general question, how did you like the first season with FHM8? What went well, what went poorly and do you think it's a step up compared to how things were before? If there are issues, do you think they can be fixed reasonably easy and if so, how? Do you think it has accomplished or can accomplish what we are looking for in regards to parity, excitement etc?

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

I'm ready for some small sample size takes lol

I think the big takeaway is that 8 gives us a functional index that massively improves quality of life. Simming structure, meta, stats, and parity are all still too early to make a judgment call imo.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

09-08-2022, 09:16 AMsve7en Wrote: I'm ready for some small sample size takes lol

I think the big takeaway is that 8 gives us a functional index that massively improves quality of life. Simming structure, meta, stats, and parity are all still too early to make a judgment call imo.

I agree with all of this, and will add that it was a nice change in my opinion that 3 of the 4 Finals teams had never won before. I'm optimistic, but it is a small sample.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

i liked it, we should do it again the exact same way!

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]

Jimmy scored goals, so I'm pretty happy.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

We won a playoff series. Lets keep it.

[Image: Wally.png]

Index is way nicer, in-game presentation is way uglier and I've stopped watching most streams because of it. We don't have nearly the sample size needed to make claims about gameplay, but some of the initial claims that were made ("goalies will finally matter" being one of them) seem to be disproven at first glance.

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

Boxscores Pog

Honestly for the livestreams I would just have them stream 30 minutes, maybe 1 good livestream

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

feeling blind about builds and tactics, but thats part of the sim rules and not the engine. The visuals are god-awful and a decidedly worse experience than the old way. Still, I'm hopeful the sim itself is better underneath all of that

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Some improvements, some steps back, I still hate the game devs

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2022, 01:06 PM by Valpix. Edited 1 time in total.)

09-08-2022, 09:58 AMRAmenAmen Wrote: Index is way nicer, in-game presentation is way uglier and I've stopped watching most streams because of it. We don't have nearly the sample size needed to make claims about gameplay, but some of the initial claims that were made ("goalies will finally matter" being one of them) seem to be disproven at first glance.
Think this is where I am - feels like one step forward with a good index, two steps back w/ visuals and some of the claims. One of the best goalies in the SHL in the regular season (2nd in SV%, 1st in GSAA) was a 300ish TPE IA.

Also that 500+ PIM WJC game where the math literally does not seem to add up lmfaoooooo

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

As a goalie, I feel like my TPE has never been less important than it is with FHM 8, but I can't deny that parity seems to be the best it's been since I joined the league. If things continue the way they have then overall it's a very positive change for the health of the league.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

I'll save my comments for a later day, right now I'm just enjoying reading what everyone else has to say. Most interesting, keep 'em coming! Smile

A proud member of the Season 67 [Image: 4star.png] Four Star Cup champion Maine Timber!!  Timber

[Image: swift.png]

Maine Timber Alternate Captain!  Timber

Thanks to @Merica for the sig!

- - - - - - -

[Image: popcorn.gif] If you Heart hockey  Fan Fiction, (FHM style): Click Here!

I feel like TPE in general mattered less, it's not just goalies (that's not a terrible thing either). We seemed to have a lot more breakout seasons from people in the 1200-1500 TPE range, and the 1800-2000 TPE players weren't necessarily that much better. Like others have said, parity is looking much better but the visual presentation is not great.

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

Me personally, I care a lot about parity and not really about live sims, so better parity but a worse visual presentation would be a worthy trade-off for me. But I agree that it's way too early to determine whether parity has actually improved substantially or not, on the one hand we had lower TPE player being some of the best performers in the league this season, on the other hand we had a team win the regular season and march through the playoffs without there ever being much doubt that they'd win it all, and many series were still very lopsided.

It's of course an improvement if it's not always the same teams winning, but I'm not sure it's much better if it's different teams, but they are still pretty much pre-determined to win at the start of a season. I guess a lot depends on how someone like Seattle will do next season, or whoever goes into the season with the TPE-lead.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]