Create Account

Between Two Ferns with HO: Shooting Accuracy and Range

Good afternoon SHL!

We are hoping to engage you all in a discussion and get your thoughts on changes we’re considering for next season!

We’ve been keeping an eye on trends in the SHL, and while the sample size for FHM8 so far is limited, we have noticed that defensive scoring is down significantly (based on TPE vs points, see some graphs here that @jeffie43 has been kind enough to put together for us).

Defenseman Data:
[Image: unknown.png]

Forward Data:

Again, we recognize that we are still working with limited data from FHM8 compared to what we have from FHM6. Defensemen obviously aren’t intended to carry a team’s scoring, but we do want things to be relatively balanced and we want to stay on top of this, so we’ve been exploring some options.

One of these options, the one we’d like to get your thoughts on, is the idea of raising the cap on shooting accuracy for defensemen. Currently, this is capped at 12, but we’d like to discuss raising that to 13-14.

Some things to think about (from both sides of the debate, if we are considering it to be a debate)
- All of the offensive defenseman roles (Playmaking Defenseman, Rushing Defenseman, Quarterback, Point Shooter) in FHM list Shooting Accuracy as one of the skills important for that role.
- Despite the above, there is only one defenseman in the entire NHL with 12 Shooting Accuracy, and none above that.
- That being said, this is not the NHL. We don’t build like NHL players, we have certain aspects of player builds fixed that aren’t fixed in an NHL league, etc.

This has also raised the question of whether we should raise the cap on shooting range for forwards at the same time. We are doubtful this would be as relevant as accuracy is for defensemen, since there are no forward roles that list shooting range as an important skill, and shooting range for NHL forwards is even rarer than shooting accuracy is for defensemen, but in the interest of fairness we thought it was worth adding to the discussion.

We’re opening this up to discussion in an effort to be more transparent with larger decisions that affect the entire community, so we ask that you keep responses on topic and relatively serious (humor is always welcome, but we’re just hoping for a productive discussion).

What are your thoughts/concerns on these potential changes?

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

do the same charts but x axis is Shooting Accuracy attribute (probably not much variance for D but show it for forwards)

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2022, 01:05 PM by spooked. Edited 1 time in total.)

Not sure what that accomplishes tbh 2 points in accuracy might help but that is what, like an extra point or two? Mainly going to people playing on the powerplay as well I would assume, who are already the ones getting the best of the engine change so far?

Without dedicated player builds, adding a couple ratings to one thing isn't going to fix the engine, and the impact will probably be more beneficial for the top end anyways, cause low TPE people shouldn't be putting the TPE into Shooting Acc. anyways.

Hnnnnnnnng I fucking love Scatter Plots

[Image: murphy2.png]
[Image: NI78UUy.png?width=400&height=267]
[Image: Skree.gif]

10-13-2022, 01:02 PMhotdog Wrote: do the same charts but x axis is Shooting Accuracy attribute (probably not much variance for D but show it for forwards)
or better yet Shooting Accuracy/Total TPE

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Ironic how test sims could help us here

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

The SHL is about having fun, right? How much fun is it to be a defenseman that gets 20 points a season on a winning team while all the forwards have 60? Sure, points aren't everything, but you can be damned sure that most of those people will recreate as a forward later. Some people aren't satisfied by blocks. Increase the accuracy limit and see what happens.

If we continue on the current FHM8 pace, I predict a relative drought of defensemen compared to past years.

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

I say blow it wide open.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

What does the data look like for the same timespan from FHM6? The splines (regression lines) look stronger based on the number of observations and can be reflected in the estimated slopes.

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]

I say theres no harm in trying. Open the option up to people willing to give it a go, if we see significant improvement along the lines of what is to be expected, cool. If its sim breaking revert it back.

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Key attributes in FHM for skaters, including defenseman regarding goals are:

Getting Open (can they actually get a shot)
Shooting accuracy (How well they aim the shot)
Shooting range (how far they shoot an aimed shot).

Just on a quick glance of the index player ratings, for getting open on defenseman the majority of attributes are 15 and under in the SHL.

Its like 3 roentegen.  Not great, not terrible.

However, what needs to be considered too then are two counter measures included in the game:

Checking attribute (the ability of a player to prevent a successful action by another), which are generally very HIGH for defenseman and forwards

Shooting tendency slider, which are still for the most part from what I've seen at least 4/5 or 5/5 meaning that if a player even has an inkling to take a shot, they will regardless if its a good one or not.

I think all of these things combined in the new sim engine is what is hurting defenseman ability to score goals.

10-13-2022, 01:13 PMCanadice Wrote: What does the data look like for the same timespan from FHM6? The splines (regression lines) look stronger based on the number of observations and can be reflected in the estimated slopes.

I kind of want to add to this. Although sample sizes do affect scatter plots in how strong regression lines are, regression lines cannot judge wether or not a correlation can be established between X and Y, in this case the amount of applied TPE in shooting accuracy and other relevant attributes and point production. There is then the issue that (i'm sorry, i'm a newbie, so this may be wrong) shooting accuracy mostly affects goals and not necessarily assists, and in that sense, a scatter plot comparing total points vs. appliedTPE seems to skew the data. All this to say that more data needs to be collected, or at the very least two similar periods of time need to be compared so that equivalent sample sizes are being analyzed, there should be consideration for comparing applied TPE with goals if this is what shooting accuracy and other scoring attributes tend to influence more than overall point production, and further testing, such as correlation tests should be done.

I reiterate, my experience both with FHM and the SHL is limited, so I may be wrong on this or I may have omitted other aspects in my reflection.

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders

Yes make the goalies even worse, do it!

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

Sure why not

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

10-13-2022, 01:36 PMgordieboom Wrote: Yes make the goalies even worse, do it!

Considering that we set the goals/game ourselves goals shouldn’t go up, just who gets the goals/points

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]