Create Account

[FHN] 1st Round Draft Predictions - S68 SMJHL Draft [Draft 2x Media Week]
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2022, 10:32 PM by MCP_. Edited 2 times in total.)

[Image: DBn6uHe.png]
Yes we do SMJHL news too

(3165 Words, 2x draft media)

With the newest SMJHL Draft approaching fast, we at the Fitted Hockey Network thought it would be fun, yet insightful to talk about our picks for the first round. The S68 SMJHL Class, as we have discovered, is filled to the brim not only with old users we all have come to know and love but also many newcomers who are ready to make a name for themselves. While this is my best guess, it will probably not be entirely correct, as my many years of experience in this league have taught me. 

Now, I will say that this took a lot of research and writing (for me at least, I've seen what people have been able to post before and it's nuts), so I hope you guys like it and hope the effort was worth it.

Anyways, enough rambling: without further ado, grab your favorite snack and beverage and let's get onto the picks!

1: Berserkers The Newfoundland Berserkers select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk
[Image: BQDc8Z9.jpg]

FHN Analysis: For our first pick, we have to pick the big name coming into this draft, not only in terms of star power but in the size of the name too! Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk has had scouts from many teams talking, including the Newfoundland Berserkers, who definitely need some star power in their lineup (and a good scrabble word too). Not only is DuBølk one of the fastest skaters on the ice, but his defensive ability is uncanny: poke checks, passing, size: you name it, he has it, and it's no surprise he's still at the top of the list.

Pros: Overall a very well-rounded player: no real gaps in his game
Cons: Needs to be a bit more personable: will come with time

User Notes: I know that it does seem a bit lame to put myself as the number 1 pick, but I love the fact I get to be a part of the Berserkers. For those that don't know, I was part of their first draft class when they were still the Lethbridge Lions, so I have plenty of history and memories here. Heck, I even applied to be their GM at one point! Their culture is second to none in this league, and it will be great to be a part of it now. In short: one ticket to Newfoundland, please!

2: Kraken The Carolina Kraken select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: This draft is full of powerhouses, and Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk is certainly one of them! This girthy behemoth has been the talk of the draft for the last few weeks, in note due to his hulking size and consequent physicality. Don't let this monster of a man fool you: his stick work has no competition, even compared to some current SHL players! He's an instant improvement to any team he's on, including the Kraken, so it's a no-brainer pick for the orange and white.

Pros: Big body, which results in big hits; his shot is very clutch in key moments; great stickwork
Cons: His relatively low speed has been murmured about among scouts, and needs a bit of conditioning, but not enough to be a concern

User Notes: While I never have been on the Kraken, it's been a bucket list team of mine for a long time. Many of my friends in the league have been on this team, including PremierBromanov and Trella, and also has the great Sve7en at the helm. I've heard nothing but great things about Carolina, so it will be exciting to go to them at the 2nd pick.

3: Grizzlies The Great Falls Grizzlies select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: This one might be a bit of a reach, but we think that the Grizzlies would love to have a defenseman like Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk in their lineup. The Grizzlies had a rough season, so having a full on shot blocker like DuBølk will help out a lot in their quest to get out of the gutter for this season. They also need a star, and DuBølk will be that guy. Big aura, big personality, and a big heart: I mean, this man is a complete sweetheart!

Pros: Very personable; star-quality; shot blocking is next level
Cons: Has some issues with the puck, but nothing that can't be fixed; skating quality can be shaky at times

User Notes: With them being an expansion team, I didn't really know about them before coming back into the fold. From looking at their roster, I know a few faces, notably Hallsy and Chevy, but there are a lot of new faces I don't know about. In that sense, it's a new adventure for me! To be part of a team where I know everyone won't be completely easy, but I have a feeling I'll get along with everyone fine.

4: Knights The Kelowna Knights select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: If there's one thing the Knights need to get to the next level, it is hockey IQ. As it turns out, Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk just so happens to fall into their lap at the 4th pick. DuBølk's hockey IQ is probably the 2nd best of the draft, right behind fellow defenseman Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk, who goes first in our mock. Even though DuBølk's IQ isn't as high, it's pretty darn close. Couple that with many tricks up his sleeve from his time on the Swedish juniors team, and you have a very crafty player that will improve the Knights significantly.

Pros: Great hockey IQ; very versatile and quick player; stick work is excellent
Cons: Not too beefy, but can definitely put on some more muscle before the start of the season;

User notes; I'm not too familiar with everyone on the team, so it'll be interesting to see how I get along with everyone. I haven't been contacted by them yet, but I have no doubt I'm going here at 5.

5: Armada The Anchorage Armada select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: Now I know for a fact that this pick is going to turn some heads: why would the Anchorage Armada go with a loose cannon like Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk? Put simply, warships like cannons! Now we won't deny the obvious: DuBølk definitely does have a mouth on him, and it has gotten him suspended in the Swedish Juniors league, but it is definitely tolerable compared to 3rd round hopeful Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk, who has a much bigger mouth in all the wrong places. Besides his big mouth, his big time plays have continued to get him noticed by scouts, with his great stickwork and skating, which even rivals our mock 1st overall pick of Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk. He'll be a great addition to the Armada, if he can keep himself in check...

Pros: Great stickwork, great speed, good IQ
Cons: Attitude issues, but manageable; situational awareness in and out of the game can be spotty

User Notes: Now, it's my unfortunate displeasure, as the former GM of the Vancouver Whalers, to be going to a rival like this. However, I can manage and thrive as a player, but it will be a bit hard to swallow at first. However, I can't say I'm not excited to see how my career will turn out with a rival!

6: Raptors The Colorado Raptors select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: For the 6th overall pick, the Raptors go for a value pick in Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk. He's been a bit under the radar during his juniors career, so we know it's a bit of a shock for many reading this article that he would go this high, but it's our belief that he's worth the top 10 pick. Now, the reason that he's been so quiet in draft talks is just because of how unassuming his playstyle is: he's basically a phantom out on the ice, but once he gets that puck, you better buckle up, because he'll be at the opposing goal sooner than you can say "boo!"

Pros: Great goal scorer: great stick work makes obtaining the puck easy
Cons: Seems to disappear during losses... and after games for that matter... hmm...

User Notes: Spooky stuff aside, taking a look through many of the team rosters prior to writing this, it made me realize how much the site as a whole has changed. It's something to get used to for sure, but it's exciting. This especially goes for Colorado, since I only really know Van and Ruggsy. But, isn't that part of the adventure of it?

7: Elk The Regina Elk (via YUM) select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: I'm not entirely sure what the Elk are going for with this pick, but based on current rumors, we do project Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk will head to the Elk with the 7th overall pick. DuBølk is known for having a lot of raw talent: very consistent puck handling, great skating, and hits well. However, his hockey IQ and general situational awareness are noticeably lacking, especially for someone his age. Under the right system, DuBølk could definitely be an effective part of the Elk, but it is doubtful that he does. Regardless, he is a defenseman with good upsides, and that's something the Elk need desperately.

Pros: Great physical attributes, gets along with teammates
Cons: Needs significant coaching effort to get out most potential, which will be difficult

User Notes: I had some pretty good talks with blake about Regina, so it's great to talk to my GM like that prior to going there. On a semi-related note, do any oldies in the league remember the Regina Force? I remember seeing them in some historical stuff, and it's interesting they're never talked about. I guess that goes for a lot of teams that either contracted or changed branding, but I've been attached to that name for some reason.

8: Whalers The Vancouver Whalers select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: One of the true sleeper picks in the draft, we definitely see Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk going to the Whalers at 8th overall. The Whalers need a bit more oomph, for the lack of a better word, and Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk brings that, especially since Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk can hit like no one's business. His strength and power behind his stride have made scouts take notice recently, but has historically been a bit behind the skill curve. However, he took major strides in the last year or so, finishing with 40 points in the Swedish Juniors league. A good pick regardless of any prior history.

Pros: Strength is unmistakeable; skills have massively improved prior to the draft
Cons: Still hasn't quite reached the level of other prospects, but can easily improve

User Notes: Ah yes, the team where I both won my only (hopefully not for long) 4 Star Cup, and where I got started for my ill-fated GMing career. Coming back here is a dream come true, and hopefully, I can be a part of the team for longer than 11 games or so. It's great to be a part of their next chapter in the SMJHL,and let's get some cups!

9: Falcons The Detroit Falcons select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: Flying high at number 9, Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk falls to the Detroit Falcons. Many people are surprised at how much Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk has fallen over the last year on many mocks, going as high as the third pick prior to the start of the Swedish Juniors. However, he had a noticeable drop in production, which was due to a knee injury he sustained during that offseason. Even with this injury, he's still a top prospect, given his handwork and shot strength, but was noticeably sluggish on the ice. Whether or not the injury is lingering has not been confirmed.

Pros: High shot strength, hands are quick
Cons: Full recovery has not occurred; needs more rest time

User Notes:  Detroit is an interesting place to end up at, since I don't have a prior history with them, but I do know a few people there like Jase. The interesting thing I found was a player page made by an SMJHL user account. It looks like their player page was deleted somehow and I find that really odd, yet interesting. I would love to know the true story behind that.

10: Elk The Regina Elk select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: For another fall from grace, we have controversial player Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk. Unlike our number 9 pick Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk, Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk is mired in controversy when he tweeted "ngl mac of cheese is kinda mid." After this statement, he had been put on a blacklist for many teams, citing that disliking mac of cheese is a sin beyond what is acceptable. The only team that hasn't taken a stand on this is the Regina Elk, who will probably make a move for DuBølk. Despite this controversy, his skills and hockey IQ are incredible, but it will be a tough pill to swallow for Regina fans.

On a side note, we at the Fitted Hockey Network do not condone Mr. DuBølk's stance on Mac of Cheese and would prefer to not include him in our list, but we must report the most accurate position he will go.

Pros: Great toolbox, great fundamentals, and advanced shot selection
Cons: Thinks mac of cheese is a horrible meal (and he is wrong)

User Notes: By the way, this was a joke! I love mac of cheese, and I apologize for making you all think I didn't. That said, I am glad to be going to Regina here at 10, I had a great talk with their GM. I'm not sure if I'll know everyone, but it's gonna be a great time in that locker room for sure.

11: Scarecrows The St. Louis Scarecrows select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: Beyond the top 10, there's still a bunch of great players, including Swedish defenseman Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk. He's typically slated to go in the top 10 in many mocks, but because of choices like Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk and Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk, Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk has found himself outside the top 10. Even with this unfortunate distinction, it's not like Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk is an awful player - quite far from it, actually. His skating is top notch, and has significantly improved his speed since the start of the season. His positioning still needs some work, but you can't deny that his howitzer from the top of the circle isn't horrifying for goaltenders everywhere. For a team struggling like the St. Louis Scarecrows, Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk is a great pick.

Pros: Booming shot, great speed and skating
Cons: Defensive positioning needs work, some situational decision-making is questionable

User Notes: While writing for this section, I remembered the old St. Louis logo and remembered how cool it was. The current logo is pretty good, but the previous one was something special in my mind. That said, I think this team is a great fit for me, and I'm excited to get to work with them!

12: Battleborn The Nevada Battleborn select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: While a lot of top talent has been picked by this point, there's still plenty of great players left at the 12th pick, so it's a bit of a head-scratcher as to why the Nevada Battleborn are linked to Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk, who's been topping out in the late 2nd round at most in most mock drafts. Maybe they find DuBølk's raw talent as good enough for the 12th pick, but for us at the Fitted Hockey Network, we don't really see that as a great pick, especially with players like Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk, Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk, and Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk available, who all have better skating and situational awareness than Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk. Regardless though, DuBølk is still worthy of being in the SMJHL, but he'll have a lot to prove in order to be worth the pick.

Pros: Good physical presence, good shot
Cons: Lacks the hockey IQ and situational awareness that is necessary for the next level

User Notes: Of course I go back to the team that picked me up as a DFA! I've known Jess ever since she came into the league and was a teammate of mine on the Tampa Bay Barracuda back in that late S40's squad, including the S50 cup squad (those playoffs still haunt me to this day, to be honest). They've been nothing but welcoming to me, and I'm excited to go back to Nevada for the rest of my SMJHL career.

13: Scarecrows The St. Louis Scarecrows (via QCC) select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: A VERY good value pick for St. Louis here. Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk's draft stock has risen significantly over the last two juniors seasons, mostly due to his noted work ethic and discipline. His skills are still raw, but they are vastly improved from their rookie season. Most notably, their skating and positioning have improved drastically, especially for their size. However, their shooting accuracy still needs some improvement, but is nothing that can't be worked on.

Pros: Good positioning and speed; good discipline and improbability
Cons: Still needs some time to bake; shooting is wild at best

User Notes: At the time of writing, I have been contacted by the Scarecrows, and I definitely think that after talking with Anthique, I'll fit in just fine. It's a bit interesting to fall this far, but if that's the will of Steins Gate, that is what shall be done. Regardless, I'm more than ready to get to work with St. Louis.

14: Grizzlies The Great Falls Grizzlies (via MET) select Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk

FHN Analysis: For our final pick of the first round, we of course have to include Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk, someone who has been consistently analyzed by scouts since his entry in the Swedish Juniors league. Even though he hasn't been at the top of everyone's mock, he's still worth a first round pick. In short: ever since his first season, he's been a consistent, yet "boring" player, earning a decent amount of points per season. He tends to stay out of the box, and has a good relationship with his teammates, who have had nothing but good things to say about DuBølk. In short: he's a good pick for Great Falls here and can do no harm.

Pros: Great fundamentals, productive player that can gel with any team
Cons: Not terribly flashy, and by proxy is not a creative player

User Notes: Honestly, going to Montana like this is quite the experience. I did think I would go a bit higher, but that's alright, especially with other great players being in the draft. I can't wait to get to work with Chevy and co, and hopefully we can get a few cups out of it!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that was the first round of the draft, selected by us here at FHN! It was indeed fun, and it was incredibly insightful to get a look into the minds of our analysts. While it wasn't fully agreed upon by all of our staff, it goes to show how much cooperation and compromise is valued here at the FHN office here in Tampa Bay. With that, we wish you all a good morning, a good afternoon, and a good night.

god how did i do this bit for 14 picks jesus

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

It's beautiful

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Had me in the first twelfth not gonna lie.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

I like this! Updating my mock now!

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Specters Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26  |  RIP TDZ

Mark your mocks with Pen! These are all guaranteed!

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]

LETS FUCKING GIOIOO

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

Any media with 14 massive png’s of Olli Jokinen included in it is just good media
10/10

[Image: kezia-elk4-smol.png]
sig by me (:

Kezia MacKenzie - LW - Regina Elk - Atlanta Inferno

By the way: the 2nd round picks had me going to Nevada, so I am still technically right

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]