Create Account

S68 PT #1: Knuckle Sandwich Due: November 27th @ 11:59 PM (PST

Hockey Prompt:

Fighting in hockey is a product of an era that didn't understand the impact of head injuries to the extent we know of now. When I was a kid,  Derek Boogaard was one of the hometown favorites on the Minnesota Wild, everybody loved when he would get on the ice and just beat the snot out of opposing players for even daring to touch Gaborik. We didn’t know that this was destroying his body behind the scenes. Boogie loved the game of hockey, and the only way he could play the game he loved was, unfortunately, by fighting other players to protect his teammates. His addiction to pain medications and alcohol, self-medication if you will, was because he didn’t feel like he could talk to his team about how his body was failing him. I think fighting will always be a part of hockey, but the era of the goon is long gone and it should stay gone, and fighting definitely should be a rarer thing than it is.
[Image: eUbmx4u.png]

[Image: HjWsKHU.png]
Signature by @enigmatic

[Image: ohmEd0h.png] [Image: apAE8qn.png]

Code:
HOCKEY PROMPT- I like asking these more broad hockey questions too, so if you don't want to talk about your player let's just talk about the game in general!

Written Task:  What are your thoughts on fighting in hockey? It's definitely a lot less common these days, do you think that's a good thing? Do you think it has a place in the game, or that it's overdue to disappear entirely? Maybe you wish it happened more often? In your opinion, what circumstances justify a hockey fight? Specific things? Any time you want for entertainment's sake? Tell me your thoughts! (150+ words)

To me, fighting is and always will be a very important asset in the game. It is important to have enforcers there to protect the stars because no matter what, people are going to take liberties when they can. Not necessarily that players are running around trying to hurt others, but things will happen and when things like that happen, there is plenty of times that retribution is needed. The issue with fighting is they could cause more injuries. That is why I appreciate the older fighters like Ian Laperriere who had a code. I remember a fight where he landed a clean punch, knocking is opponent off balance. His first reaction was incredible, he wrapped his arm around the back of the other guys’ head and saved him from hitting the back of his head on the ice. Things like that are a lost art, and that is the part of fighting that needs to remain in the game. As long as there is a code, fighting is important.

170 words

[Image: m59RPb7.png] | [Image: FcWmVTl.png]

S61 Four Star Cup - Game-Winning Goal in the clinching Game 4
[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: efischermann.gif]

I think that fighting as a whole in hockey absolutely still has a place in hockey. I think it's largely diminished due to the media creating all sorts of insane narratives, some of which are certainly well-founded, but with hockey fighting is just a part of the sport. There of course are arguments to be made about legal repurcussions coming off the court, but these are grown men that very frequently either beat on one guy because their teammate got fucked up or grown men that decide that they are going to fight and wait until the other is ready before they start throwing punches. It's always penalized by the refs, and the refs allow them to get their frustrations out to a certain extent every time. And I think that it's much safer that way. If they were just raging out, they have literal razor blades on their feet and have sticks that could easily cause serious damage.

[Image: laser.png]

[Image: Virrok.png]
Thanks to EAB and sulovien for the sigs!

PT pass because I ate a knuckle sandwich for dinner.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]

Player Prompt

Rashford is not really known to be a fighter, but the squad always reminds him of his time in Juniors.  Rashford was on his way to another Four-Star Cup Final but had to play against the Great Falls Grizzlies.  Interestingly, little did he know but his General Manager of the future was also playing for Great Falls at the time.  The game got heated, as playoffs usually do, and Rashford found himself dropping the gloves with someone.  That someone, his future General Manager.  It wouldn't be pretty for Mikko, who lost the bout on that night (but pumped up the squad enough to help eliminate the grizzlies).

So would Rashford fight again? probably not.  There are enough characters on the Aurora that would most likely be chomping at the bit to mix it up with the other team.  Beck, one of the leaders of the squad would gladly be jumping in and mixing it up and he's good at it too!!

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]

Thus far in her career, Sarah Burke has only participated in one fight. It happened way back in Season 59 when she was playing defense for the Winnipeg Aurora. I don't really know the specifics of what caused her to uncharacteristically drop the gloves, but she did it and she won. Based on numbers alone it's clear to see fighting isn't a priority of Burke's, but when it comes down to it and she needs to make a mark she's more than capable of doing it. Hard to say what made her fight that one game - she could've been trying to solidify her role as a defender, standing up for a teammate, shutting down some chirps or just could even have been a bit frustrated with her situation at the time and maybe snapped a little. It's been a while, but with all the helpful advice she's learned over the years from her teammates in LA I'm pretty confident she could win another fight if it came down to it.

170 words

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid and swoosh for sigs!

Hockey Prompt:

Funny you should ask. I actually wrote an article very early on in my time about whether fighting has a place in hockey (or at least the SHL). I came to the conclusion it did not really impact the sims at all. As for in real life, I think whether or not it impacts the game positively is highly dependent on the situation. I am one for less fighting in hockey for sure, just because in my opinion it is a waste of time and doesn't do anything. But in some situations, I think it can definitely give teams a boost of energy. If it's two tough guys just randomly fighting each other because that is what they're supposed to do, I think it's a waste of time and I don't really wanna see it. If it's someone trying to "spark" their team when they're getting beat bad or not playing well, I also find it annoying and a bit of a waste of time. Now when it is purely emotion driven, for example a bad hit or two players going at it in a hard battle that just continues to escalate, that is when I enjoy it and it. Seeing teammates stand up for each other in emotional games can definitely give massive boosts of energy and affect teams positively

[Image: kahnwald.png]
Sig by @Ragnar

PBE Affiliate

[Image: crunksig2.png]

The game is not going the way Buffalo would expect. Down 5 halfway through the 2nd period against the league leading Toronto North Stars, someone has to do something to put spark the team and get them to show some life. Look no further than Zayne Dangle. He is the physical presence on the team and he will lay the hits and fight when his team needs it. This is a big game for the team that is performing well so far. Dangle slides over to Ty Murphy, his friend from Detroit, and begins heckling him before the faceoff. Murphy knows what he is doing and appreciates the spark Dangle is trying to create. On the shift he lays a huge hit on Connor O'Byrne and Murphy is the first to jump to his defense. It is exactly what Dangle was hoping for. The scrum leads to a fight with Dangle landing a big right hook to end it. The arena and Buffalo is now rocking.

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]

I think fights in hockey are fine but they do need to be regulated or punished a little harsher in certain situations. There are numerous instances that I see a fight happen after one person keeps instigating it or will even drop the gloves and start wailing on someone but then they both just get 5 in the box. They need to throw out the instigator penalty more consistently and in my opinion stop hitting both with 5 minutes when one jumps the other and the other gets no punches in before it's broken up. Start punishing the crappy behavior and allow it to be more fair and even and I think the game can grow a little more for a lot of people. Fights are exciting to people, especially newer fans or potential ones and also to the fans at the arena so there's no reason to remove it. I am glad that for the most part, goons have been going away and now you need a little skill to go with the fighting to make a team, usually anyways.

181 words

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

Player prompt

As the LA Panthers were heading for a rebuild in S68, they knew things would be difficult. Even then, they weren't quite prepared for how bad their first game was going when they found themselves down 5-0 in the third period. They desperately needed something to spark a comeback, or at least allow them to preserve some amount of dignity.
After many moves in the off season, Yannick Svoboda found himself as one of the players who'd been on the team the longest. As such, the coach tapped him on the shoulder and urged him to start a fight. Svoboda had never thrown a single punch in his hockey career as he had never been known as a fighter. But he knew what needed to happen, he decided agree to the request from his coach.
His next shift, Svoboda got into an altercation with one of the enforcers on the other team
"This is is," he thought "my first fight"
The gloves came off, and Svoboda tried to line up a punch. With all his might he sent his fist in the direction of his opponent's face. Before it landed, Svoboda's vision went black; it seemed his opponent had been quicker on the draw.
The next thing he remembered was waking up in the hospital the next day. He lost his fight and the team lost 8-0
"Never again," he muttered.

231 words

PanthersPanthersPanthersPanthers

KnightsKnightsKnightsKnights

Written Task:  What are your thoughts on fighting in hockey? It's definitely a lot less common these days, do you think that's a good thing? Do you think it has a place in the game, or that it's overdue to disappear entirely? Maybe you wish it happened more often? In your opinion, what circumstances justify a hockey fight? Specific things? Any time you want for entertainment's sake? Tell me your thoughts! (150+ words)

Personally, I think fighting is dumb as fuck. Why would you want to risk your health, because of something super minor, like.. I don't know, some minor hit that wasn't even that bad. And not only your own health, but the other persons health. Everyone's got their family and this is their job, so why try to injure em, idk man it's stupid. My favourite dumb hockey thing is when a player pushes the opposing teams player into their goalie and then starts to rough up the person for falling on their goalie. Like bro what, are you dumb, what are you trying to achieve there? You're gonna injure and annoye your own goalie doing that stupid shit.
And do you know what how dangerous it is to get hit, man, people have died from singular punches, don't risk it, keep it a biscuit. You might be a professional athlete, but that doesn't make you a fighter, nor does it mean you know how to take a punch. wc. 168

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska

written task, player prompt:

Under normal circumstances, I'm not a fighter. However, down by five goals late in the third? Sure, why not!? If my team is getting manhandled by five goals, damn right I am going to go out with guns blazing. Big possibility that I will get tossed around, but I would rather stand up for my team instead of just sitting back. I would gladly sit out the last five minutes or whatever as long as I take somebody with me. I think that there should still be fighting in hockey, even if it seems a bit old school to some people. Not saying it should happen every game but some players need to be reminded that there are repercussions when you cross check someone from behind or pull a slew foot and I think players should be able to stand up for their teammates when they are getting pummeled.

150 words

[Image: rm2.png?ex=661824aa&is=6605afaa&hm=6885c...6e2d79654&]

PBE PT

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

Code:
Hockey Prompt
Hockey is an incredibly physical sport, which sometimes includes fighting... and I'm okay with that. Hockey is undoubtedly one of the most athletic sports you can play. Even as the league moves toward a faster, more skilled game that doesn't rely on unnecessary physicality, there will always be big hits, dirty games, and trash talk. Inevitably, tempers flare, and players occasionally find themselves attacking opponents. Some argue Americal Football may get more physical from game to game, but hockey's faster pace gives players more room to engage, especially since the whistle doesn't blow after every big hit. Savage or not, hockey is a fast sport. Tempers can get hot and some players can lose their cool. Combat in this situation offers players an opportunity to vent their frustrations while taking revenge or revenge on their opponents. Some players learn skills beyond just kicking the puck or making the right pass, including throwing a haymaker.

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]