Create Account

S68 PT #1: Knuckle Sandwich Due: November 27th @ 11:59 PM (PST

player prompt

While Sebastien Regazzoni definitely has a combative on-ice personality (due to his unfortunate resemblance to one Jeremy Clarkson, he's got both a mouth that runs on forever, cockiness, and braggadocio), he has never really been a fighter. He had a grand total of six penalty minutes in his rookie SMJHL season, all of which were minor penalties, and while he definitely is the kind of guy to instigate a brawl by saying some stupid shit to get into an opponent's head and force them to make a mistake, he knows that fighting is a skill he lacks. It's also worth noting that the kid has never fought once in his life; he's always had a friend both larger and stronger than him to hide behind if a fight ever occurred in school and on the ice, and that still works for him today. And while he definitely would fight if the team asked him to, he knows that's not his place nor role.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

The season just started, the fans are excited, their team is back on the ice and they're hoping to see a win! Unfortunately we're down 5 goals and it's late in the third and the win doesn't seem like it's going to happen. First impressions on the season are important and the fans are already falling asleep or going home and you don't want this to be the teams look for the season. The coach is going mad, telling us to get out there and do something! 

Boots decides to make something happen and hopefully the rest of the team follows suit. Full knowing penalties are likely incoming he gives the Captain Kvalheim the nod that he's going out there to get something started. He looks at Kvalheim's linemate, Von Schnicktenburg as well hoping to get more approval for backup in case it's needed. 

They get over the boards for their shift and the visitors are coming down the ice again. Boots switches up his defensive tactics of backskating towards the net and instead pinches the oncoming forward towards the boards. Pass or not, Boots has his number. CRUNCH. Boots staples this guy to the boards. It's a clean hit. They had nowhere else to go, but the visitors are mad. That's one of their stars and they're not going to let Boots go easy. Two of the other visitors start coming to Boots to retaliate for the hit and Boots gets ready to grab two sweaters but Schnicktenburg steps in to grab the other one and starts going toe to toe. Boots tries to drop the gloves as well but the other guy is just tying him up instead trying not to fight so Boots attempts to grip his sweater to haul it over his head to cover him up like the coward he's being but the refs step in and pull them apart. Meanwhile Schnickers is just throwing haymakers at the other guy before they both go down and they get peeled apart as well.

The crowd is back in. They're banging on the glass and rooting for the players who stepped it up for their team. The Renegades take the penalties but manage to come up with another big celebrated goal but still manage to lose the game but the fans are happy with the exciting end to the game.

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2022, 09:22 AM by High Stick King.)

Quote:Written Task:  What are your thoughts on fighting in hockey? It's definitely a lot less common these days, do you think that's a good thing? Do you think it has a place in the game, or that it's overdue to disappear entirely? Maybe you wish it happened more often? In your opinion, what circumstances justify a hockey fight? Specific things? Any time you want for entertainment's sake? Tell me your thoughts! (150+ words)

Being an old fart, I grew up absolutely adoring fighting in hockey and believed it was 110% necessary and anyone who thought otherwise was ignorant. This was back in the day of Probert, Domi, Hunter, Odjick so it was a pretty common opinion back then.

Over the years though, I've seen not only the toll it has taken on those guys but that a lot of the arguments for fighting never really pass scrutiny. One of the main arguments is that it stops the dirty plays to have to atone for your actions. The amount of dirty knee'ing and headshots have been reduced drastically just by enforcing rules rather than some traditionalistic fighting threat.

I think what the NHL is doing to curb fighting has been generally good for the game and its growth. Stopping it cold turkey is too big of a step for a lot of the hard core fans so a slow weaning off of it has been smart.

Now being old, I'm on the side of removing it. Not necessarily this year or next but a gradual decline is good imo.

[ 188 words ]

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

PLAYER PROMPT 

Despite his Pokémon typing being half Fighting, Sir Devoir has always been more of a pacifist then a true fighter. He just doesn't see the point in always instigating fights. That's not to say he has not gotten into a few hockey fights, and once got into quite the memorable one back in his training days with this center who repeatedly tried to check him with a blind ref not noticing. He did not care that he was sent to the penalty box, that game was a blowout in favor of his team anyways and it was worth it to give that center quite the bloody nose.

As for what it would take to get him to fight another goalie, the goalie would usually have to be the one who instigates it, and if that happens then the game has really gotten out of control. A few things that might be able to set him off to fighting his fellow goalie include a goalie getting an illegal check on his teammate, or maybe the goalie repeatedly insults his family or his late master.

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Code:
Player Prompt: 248 Words

----------

"Yeah, so, that was uh--yeah, the coach was bearing down on me from the bench there, I guess that got caught on camera, but he was sorta just asking me if I'd get out there and put the boots to someone, kick the shit out of em. Now, uh, I don't know if youse boys have ever seen me before, but I'm fuckin' like not even six feet tall, just barely two hundred pounds, I am not exactly a fighter's fighter. And at that point, I was like--well, fuck, the last time I fought I think I was playing in the NAHL. Like, I was a kid and that was just sort of the peak point of boil over in a game against a team I don't even remember--and I was a fuckin' little guy then so I got my ass beat there too. So I'm, like, 'ah fuck,' you know, I'm like 'ah fuck, I'm gonna go out there and absolutely get my shit beat in by the biggest dude you've ever seen,' I'm in my head about it. Coach is bearing down on me, he's like 'Flower, give me one fuckin' reason you shouldn't get out there and prove that we're not gonna take this shit lying down,' and I just sorta looked at him and I said, 'Coach, I've got my hands taped.'

So he sent out fuckin' Gilmore instead. [Laughs.]"

- Benson Fiorentini, The Golden Fleece Podcast on The Argo, a Seattle Argonauts SB Nation Community

[Image: MvfRxO2.png]
sigs by me bitch

I am a pacifist dude! But in reality, I am really just a wimp. I go cry on the bench after an average check to the boards so I am not about to go toe to toe with some dude that is going to beat my head in. Can not mess up the face and do not want to be on sports center later about Lacksamus lying on the ice crying after the first hit.

I got into a fight in 3rd grade and it did not go well. I learned quickly that I have a very soft chin. But, in my defense, dude was being very mean to me and deserved it. Well he deserved to get beaten up, but unfortunately that did not happen by my hands.

Now if the team needed it, then I would definitely go out there and talk shit. But then I will quickly skate to the bench and hide behind the boards.

So yeah, I do not fight.

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

Matthew Mayhem is not known as a fighter, but he's willing to do whatever the team needs in the moment. With I believe 1 minor league fight, against some bum who I can't remember no doubt, Mayhem will drop the mits and throw punches with anyone who he has to, whether it's the toughest player in the league, or the water boy for the other team, he does not care. After winning the fight by KO, Mayhem would lie down next to him and give him a hug after the beating before skating by and mooning the opposing bench, and really getting the crowd into it. Generally known as a lover not a fighter, Mayhem backs down from no battle, and as one of the new guys on the team, will stop at nothing to help the team in any way possible. 

Code:
158 words

Coach has asked someone to go send a message that we are not going to roll over. Looks I am down to get on that ice and lay hands as much as the next person, but there has to be another solution. Just because you go out there and beat someone bloody does not mean you are going to win any respect. No, if you are going out there to demoralize then you have to do it the right way. I am talking about subtle chirps about players skills, hitting them with those mental assaults. Sticks and stones of course, but words will last forever. Especially if they are brought up every time. When you find the right thing that hits, then you slap that all over social media and while you may have lost one game you won the war. If the other team still is not responding then sure go out there and fight. I have never gone and thrown the gloves personally, but I am down to slap around.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

Hockey Prompt

This is always going to be a heart/head debate for me. I grew up following two teams who relied heavily on grit and fight. It started with Mark Deazeley and Derek Booth at the rough and tumble Toledo Sports Arena, one of the least family-friendly hockey atmospheres I can imagine, where you would watch the coach tip a guy for the sole purpose of going to throw some punches. And of course I was there for the Wings-Avalanche Fight Night, memories of which will never fade. You always love to see teammates stand up for each other and the physical part of hockey is incredibly important. But I do believe that fighting needs to be reduced as much as possible, and the league is already better with the reduction of enforcer-type players who serve limited purpose. I think the league is a pretty decent place with fighting right now: it doesn't happen too often, it rarely results in injuries, and more types of players are willing to engage in it because it's become more symbolic than physically punishing. I think there can be a place for the current format of dropping the gloves to do a little headlock, you both take a penalty, message is sent. If anything, I think rules could be tightened just to further discourage punching the head.

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]

Getting beat badly was basically what happened all of last season, so I know how it feels. However, if the coach needs someone to send a message and fight, I don’t think anyone on the bench is going to be looking at me. We finished in 11th place last season, and I was a -43 on the season. If anyone was angry about last season, it was going to be me. That being said, even through all of that misery the season brought, I still didn’t drop the gloves so I don’t think anyone would be thinking I’m the one who will be setting the tone.

If there’s anyone on the team who I would expect to step up to the plate, it’s gotta be Fitted. The guy is just oozing with confidence and the I don’t care attitude that he would absolutely do what it takes for the team and the coach. And to be honest with you, I’d back him. He may not be a fighter, but he’d embrace that opportunity.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

Despite being an aggressive hockey player, Miguel Hefeweizen is not much of a fighter. It's not that he can't fight, or that he's a wuss, its just that he is focused on one thing, and one thing only, and that is winning the game. Fighting rarely helps your team get into a better position to win, and can often hurt. Giving the other team a chance at a power play for nothing more than emotions is a poor strategy to put points on the board. Instead, Miguel channels his anger into playing better and putting his team into a position to light the lamp up, which is why they are there to begin with. Now, on the other hand, Miguel does enjoy baiting the other team's players into starting a fight, or committing a stupid penalty and getting their own players into the penalty box. In fact, trash talking the other team into committing penalties is something he's really good at!
166 words

[Image: zootshl.gif]
Sig credits: OrbitingDeath & enigmatic

[Image: hUtg6sH.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png]

Timber Scarecrows pride Aurora France

Player Prompt:

Pass Forfeit has no fighting bones in his body. However once in pee wee hockey he fought a kid. He doesnt like talking about it because after he was deemed unfit for playing, the kid he beat up that is. The fight wasnt that fair either because a fully grown man playing pee wee hockey is not a fair deal and when you are legally able to drink you shouldnt be playing toddlers, however this one kid came up to pass and slashed him as he was bodying kids left and right just barreling towards the net. Pass didn't like this so he swiped at the goalie causing him to fall over and the puck went into the net, however the ref said it was disallowed so pass went over to a kid and threw him at the boards but not too hard because he knows his size but the kid still broke 3 ribs, his ankles, and his legs. This is why grown men shouldn't play pee wee hockey especially pass forfeit.

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Hockey Prompt:

Fighting is a pretty divisive topic in hockey circles, especially between old and new fans of the sport. I will admit, nothing gets the crowd pumped up more than a big hit or a fight, however, we need to protect these athletes from themselves. We know way more about head injuries than we did before and there is no way you can let these players do this anymore.

The problem is humans are emotional beings. These players are playing an intense, physical sport an there will be times when someone on the other team doesn't something that you don't like and you want to react to that. That's where you have to have the refs come in and save them. If you think about it, it's pretty weird to just have a hockey game stop so two players can have a fist fight, on ice, in skates. This isn't about whether or not fights are exciting, it's about safety. There are ways to bring intensity and physicality without having to punch another person in the face.

(176 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
0-0-0
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

Don't mess with the cajun queen..

[Image: Videl_Pt1.png]

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Lias is absolutely not a fighter, for what should be obvious reasons. In case the reasons aren't obvious, he's 5'7" and there are much larger people on his team who will take care of that stuff for him. When a fight breaks out, Lias usually finds somebody on the other team that he hasn't talked to in a while and goes over to catch up with them while the other players are making good use of all that excess testosterone that makes them do stupid things. Then he goes back to the bench and tries to get everybody excited about playing four on four for a while because Lias is not on the four on four unit and he gets to catch his breath for a few minutes while other guys go out and get tired. Once the 4 on 4 time has expired, if no goals have resulted, he tells the guys who were out there "good job" and goes back to playing his game.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .