Create Account

A look back

<div align="center">It is time to look back at the NWJHL Season for the first overall pick of Michael Haan. I figured I would do this since my season as a Junior is done. I like to look back at what I have accomplished in my first season in the SHL, so without further ado, lets look into Michael Haan.

[Image: fc6558f0480c98f386bf0a4f4560.jpeg]

With the first overall pick in the North West Junior Hockey League, the Chicago Hitmen select, D Michael Haan from the Netherlands

Well, it was a long wait for Haan, but he was selected with the first overall pick after the Hitmen traded to move up a couple spots in order to grab the defenseman from the Netherlands. He looked to be one of the top picks with Shanye Steele but with Shanye disappearing quite mysteriously, the decision was quite easy. The Hitmen had reportedly been interested in him from the start and wanted to do anything they could in order to get Haan on their team. It all started with a draft, and that is where he went.

"I was extremely grateful for the Chicago Hitmen to draft me with their first pick in the draft. They were an expansion team and I loved the opportunity to go to a team in which I could create a legacy. That is what I saw from the start and both Joker and Tylar gave me the opportunity to make the most of my player. I really appreciate what both of the General Managers did and I wanted to not let them down in the least bit."

Michael Haan is named the first ever Captain of the Chicago Hitmen

Michael Haan was named the first ever captain of the Chicago Hitmen pretty much directly after the draft. He spent his time in training camp getting to know all of his teammates as well as helping out his friends whenever they needed help. Haan also took the team out to try a little team-building exercise which seemed to help their morale.

"I could not believe when Joker came to me with the 'C' on my jersey. It was seriously an honor to be named the captain with other players who are just as deserving. I cannot believe that I am going down into the books as the first ever Captain of the Chicago Hitmen. Now, I just hope to see my #8 jersey raised up into the rafters in Chicago. But, one could hope, though."

Michael Haan scores his first SHL goal 8 games into the season versus the Kelowna Knights

This came rather quick in the Hitmen's season as he scored the first goal on his eventual teammate Fabian Fuhrberg who got traded to the Hitmen later on in the season. Haan was not known as much of an offensive player early on in the season, but he showed some flashes of brilliance at times during the season. Michael Haan has compiled stats for 1 goal, 4 assists and 5 points in his early 8 game career at the time of his goal.

"It was an absolute honor to finally get on the board and get a little weight off my shoulders as the first overall pick. I really needed to get the jitters out of my system and I am glad that it came only 8 games into my career. I wish it would have been earlier, but what can you do?"

Michael Haan ends up with a stat line of: 6 Goals, 18 Assists, 24 points, -31 +/-, 120 hits, 84 shots blocked

There was no doubt that Haan was considered one of the top defenseman in the season with the numbers that he put up. His 120 hits was sensational as well as his 84 shots blocked showed he gave it his all in the defensive zone. His offensive spark came in numerous times as well as he tallied 6 goals and 18 assists. Let's see how that will translate into SHL.

"My numbers this season showed what kind of player that I am. I am willing to lay my body out to either take the opposing player off the puck or block a shot once in a while. I will be able to help the team on offense too, but that is something I will need to get a lot better at."

Chicago Hitmen go 15-21-4 in the season and finish 2nd to last in the NWJHL

There was no doubt that this team struggled right from the start. It was honestly never really a team that looked to have much promise right from the start. They failed to score goals, but Haan never gave up on them. He played 110% every single game and left everything on the ice. The team had a -33 goal differential which is really how the season went. It is sad because this team had so much promise in the preseason.

"This season was a disappointment straight from the start. I really wish we could have had a season a lot like the Whalers had, but what can you do. I would choose no other place to play other than Chicago. I liked all of my teammates and the NWJHL is really just a place to grow. Yes, I would have liked to win the Cup, but you cannot have everything you want."

Chicago Hitmen are eliminated out of the first round in the NWJHL Playoffs by the Montreal Impact

Once again, another disappointment by this team. They were able to win 2 games versus the Impact, but went out without a sound really. Haan was not an impact in the series which kind of was a disappointment for himself. He wanted to make an impact in every game, and when it mattered, he really disappeared.

"With a disappointing season, comes a disappointing playoffs. I could do nothing but take off my jersey and just stare at the logo on the front. It will be the last time I will suit up in a Chicago Hitmen jersey. It is seriously depressing as my life was really getting started here. I loved it in Chicago and now, I have to make a home somewhere else. I really do not know what else to say."

Michael Haan rewarded a Silver Medal in the Junior Olympics

After being named the General Manager of Team World, Haan had a very good tournament but his team fell short in the Gold Medal Game. Without a doubt, it was an experience in itself to participate and play against with former and current draftees. He was awarded a silver medal, a medal that was sent home and his family loved. His sister wears it around her neck everyday. He is now a national hero.

"It was really awesome to play with players such as Armin Brovalchuk, Grigori Pajari as well as play against players such as Willie Weber and Daniel Carlsson. This was something that I will always remember as we go for gold next season. I really can thank everyone for the season I had which ended with a Silver Medal."

With the _______ Pick in the Season 10 SHL Draft, the ______ Select, D Michael Haan from the Netherlands

Lets let history write itself.

</div>
Quote:1,205 Words, 1 Picture

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3

I like how you write 2 paragraphs about your stats yet somehow "forget" to mention that -31 lol Other then that good read.

Quote:Originally posted by Secord@Aug 24 2012, 08:25 PM
I like how you write 2 paragraphs about your stats yet somehow "forget" to mention that -31 lol Other then that good read.
:lol: That -31 did not exist :ph34r:

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3