Create Account

S68 PT #4: Historian Due: December 18th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

[Image: AGEP2Hb.png]

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

I think the most interesting thing about real world hockey history to me is how insane wayne gretzsky's stats were and still are today. I consider myself a fan of fantasy football so when I found out they used to split up wayne gretzsky's stats for fantasy hockey into 2 players, one who gets his goals and one who gets his assists, and that these two players nearly almost went first and second overall in fantasy hockey drafts, I knew I had to look more into it. The more I learned, the more fascinated I was, I ended up in some youtube rabbit hole not even related to the great one anymore but now I am happy to say that I know more about wayne gretzsky's hockey career than any non-hockey fan should probably ever know. Who knows, maybe some day this obscure knowledge will come in handy and I'll get to use it too.

wc: 160

[Image: 8pRoFZH.png]

Player Prompt:

Well I’m not sure this is a record, but I did want to talk a bit about one of the greatest players of all time in this league: Joe Kurczewski. While he isn’t the greatest scorer out there (though he is certainly up there with 940 points over his career), his playoff performances and his IIHF play are legendary. Since IIHF didn’t keep the greatest records, it’s difficult to determine, but I’d be surprised if there are many that have topped his 176 points in 268 career IIHF games, but I’m pretty certain no one can beat his six gold medals with Team USA and of course to top it off he is also a two time silver medalist.

Kurczewski's career in the playoffs was also tremendous and as of now, he is the leading playoff scorer of all time tied with Aaron Wilson in both goals and assists despite playing in the STHS era. He was nominated for two Anton Razov awards and won it in S42 after putting up 10 goals and 15 assists leading the way to a Challenge Cup with the Calgary Dragons.

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

The most interesting thing I find about the history of the NHL is players performances in past seasons or eras, I'm always clicking on a new page and find myself doing it for hours. There's so many fascinating things I've found to keep my love for hockey when I didn't watch and cant really recall anything specific or any facts off the top of my head, trades, European seasons and even player pictures I like to check out. I guess one player I've been watching and the rest of the league has been as well would be Ovechkin, I watched a little later than most kids and he was just a rookie when I started watching,. He hasn't changed one bit! He's on pace for another 50 goal season so lets gooooooo!! Next up would be Senators anything of course, Brady making a stronger impression and looking like a franchiser on pace some of our greats, we beat Nashville in their arena for the first time in like 8 years and our team when from practically being last on the PP to top 5 this season!!!

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon

I don't think this is necessarily interesting but it blows my mind that when it comes to team records, it gets transferred from city to city when the team relocates. For the Winnipeg Jets who have seen their team come and go over multiple times, it's gotten kind of confusing in how to figure out where the records lie. While they have a team of their own currently, their team history currently includes the time in which they were the Atlanta Thrashers. The original (I believe) team's records from the 70's to the 90's are now part of the Arizona Coyotes record books in which they still honor the previous franchise records, as well as retired numbers including Bobby Hull's #9, and Thomas Steen's #25 in the old Jets colors.

While it's appreciative to see where the roots of the team are, having the existing franchise somehow be the same but not is a little bit of a misnomer in my eyes.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

Hockey Prompt:

There are so many records out there in the NHL and some of them are very odd and interesting. You can find records for almost anything in the NHL. Here are some odd and interesting NHL records that I have found. The most fighting majors in an NHL career belongs to Tie Domi with 355. There is a record in the NHL for a goaltender having the most ties in a career which is held by Terry Sawchuck who has 172 ties. This record is fascinating because it is one that will never be broken unless NHL rules are changed. The record for the fastest Hattrick was completed in 21 seconds by Billy Mosienko. There is a record for most goalie goals in a career which is actually a tie by Ron Hextall and Martin Brodeur with 2 goals each. The worst plus/minus in a season was by Bill Mikkelson who was a -82 with the Capitals. The last record that is odd and fascinating is the record for the most games played between a player scoring a goal. This record was set by Ken Daneyko Who went 255 games without recording a goal.

I don't think I ever cared about history that much of the SHL. If it was before my first player then does it really count? I mean we have all the trophies named after all these people but then you find that it was a different engine and different season lengths. Gretsky is good but many say he wouldn't hold up in this day and age. That being said, what's important to me is the current history. Who currently holds the league records and who is close to breaking them. I was almost on the team this season with a record breaker that slowed down just at the end. I want to make my player stronger so that the record can be broken and I can say I was a part of it. Then I want my player to go and make history. Everyone in the triple gold are my idols and I want to be able to take part in that legacy.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

https://vhlforum.com/topic/131029-maple-...-reindeer/ VHL affiliate

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

@ToeDragon84 is the GOAT, period. There is no other player in question that can dominate for that period for that time in STHS. With the amount of randomness that STHS was involved with, in order for Visser for getting not just 1 but 2 70+ point seasons, goin almost a point per game in STHS days, for 950 games in a row, while starting out getting shit points the first couple of seasons he was. Having that many Ron Meixco's he did where there was 14 teams, compared to Ron Mexico's award wins when there was only 10 teams, also in the inflation period. Compare that to Jason Visser where he did it, although he did benefit from the double shifting with Winnipeg, even after that was banned, he continued to get a PPG and stil lget 50,60 points consistantly, and then retiring in S50, where he 100% could have gotten to 1000 points by S52. Thats why he is the goat

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Well if I was hired to do a history I would do a history on the the history of the Calgary Dragons and Edmonton Blizzard. There are perhaps no two more prestigious teams in the history of the league. Both have combined to win nearly 20 challenge cups and have many of the greatest players in league history among their ranks. Calgary Dragons have of course had the likes of Esa Anrikakken who would go on to set the all time games played, goals scored, and points record in SHL history. He did that of course in the 50 GAME era and he played nearly 30 seasons in the league. Of course that team had its downsides. The infamous Mike Izzy for example played for many many years with the organization as well as his controversial son. On the Edmonton side they had the likes of Tony Pepperoni who would of course go on to be a near point per game player well into the twilight of his career. Being an instrumental part of the team for nearly 20 years.

[Image: RrqOgzL.png]
[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
[Image: yuWLBZB.png]

PT pass because I simply have too big of brain to bother.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]

Written Task: Write about any team, player, or record that is important to SHL history, and why. It could be something your player did, or maybe not! What parts of SHL history do you think are most interesting and exciting? Is there an old part of the site's history that you feel is important but often forgotten? Why should more people know about it? Take this chance to brag about how historically important your player is, or to get on your soapbox about how cool someone else is! (150+ words)

I’m tooting my own horn I know but I think the records that I set as Juni Panda are very important. My player Juni Panda set a wild record with the number of hits per season with the first, second, and third most PIMs in a single season in the FHM era. I had 226, 201, and 178 PIMs per season and based off the most recent seasons I have no reason to believe this will ever be touched. These were numbers that were reminiscent of the era before season 11. I don’t believe this will be touched without a massive engine change to a new sim and therefore are important to remember. My hits records with 525 in a season, which is nearly 8 per game won’t be touched due to not engine changes but the lack of the ability to build a players strategy to their strengths since the ban on individual strats. Nobody has vome even close to these numbers and in SHL these won’t ever be touched without massive changes and are very interesting mostly because they’re mine.

[Image: juniped_shl.gif]

I've always been a huge Devils fan, so I figured I'd touch a bit on a story about my favourite player ever.

Patrol Elias was a key part of the New Jersey Devils for years. He had a storied career with them where he racked up the franchise records for career goals, assist, points (and those same ones in the playoffs too) as well as the highest point total ever in a season by a Devil with 96. This play helped catapult him to all star teams, and a first team selection whole helping the Devils win 2 cups he was an absolutely huge part of the success of the franchise.

Two quick stories about him that don't make the rounds.

In game 6 of the 2000 Stanley cup final, Sykora took a brutal hit from Darian Hatcher which led to him having to be taken to the locker room. The Devils went on to win the game, and Elias sported his teammates jersey to ho or him in the locker room and for some time on the ice. Later on, they brought the cup to him in the hospital.

Another one occured during the 2004-2005 lockout season where the Devils almost prematurely lost one of their greats before he could finish cementing his legacy in the teams history during which he had a battle with hepatitis A. The summer after, he was frail, in pain, and having difficulty walking, and it seemed as though it may call for the end of his NHL career, in fact it was ravaging his body so badly that he nearly died. Incredibly, he returned partway through the 2005-2006 season and put up over a point per game after the whole ordeal.

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]

The most important player and record go hand in hand and that’s Ryuuji Minamino and his goal scoring record. He didn’t do it at a time when goals were at an all time high (don’t fact check me), but he did it the old fashioned way - uphill both ways. They just don’t make players like him anymore. Nowadays everyone is complaining about how their hip hurts or their tummy hurts, but Minamino just went about his business during that season and just relentlessly lit the lamp. While the record technically fell this year to Max Manning, we will forever look at Ryuuji with reverence as he did his without playing in the PED laden era that todays players are so accustomed to. Beyond that, we know the type of user @Nhamlet is and so we shall give him his flowers and we shall treasure him and his accomplishments because he has earned every single one of them. Minamino is a first ballot hall of famer and the historians are gonna be tired of typing his name over and over in the record books and milestones lists.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

I'm going to talk about the Trapezoid rule in hockey, also known as the Marty Brodeur Rule. I'm going to go off on this subject for a moment, and I may be completely wrong here, but it needs to be something that is taken into consideration. Has the Trapezoid rule made the game faster and more dangerous. The league has been pushing to keep the game faster and more fast paced.this means that when a loose puck gets dumped into the corners and the goalie is stuck in a small box and can't play it, it pushed the offensive into the zone at breakneck speeds to get to the puck first. It also doesn't make sense that the goalie can play in-between the circles but take 8 feet back and it's a penalty. When the opposite team comes flying in after the offensive player, one wrong edge or a small stick in the skate and it's a increased chance for a concussion.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland