Create Account

S69 SMJHL PT #1 - Nice Places

Congratulations on being drafted! The hard work starts now, and your teammates are all ready to get to know you!.
Written option: You just walked into the lockerroom for the first time. How did your new teammates respond? Did they organize anything to welcome you and the other draftees to the team? Must include 150 words.
Graphic option: Make an image depicting a couple of members of your team hanging out together in the locker room. Must include the team logo somewhere.
Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)
Only S69 SMJHL Rookies (S70 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.
Link PBE, ISFL or SSL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.
Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.
Deadline: Sunday, January 22nd @ 11:59pm PST

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

Walking into Vancouver was enjoyable yes I was disappointed that I fell so far but I was happy to get drafted at all... When I walked into the locker room I was given the introduction and the show around the facilities to see where everything is and learning what all I will have access to in the future to help improve my game and improve alongside the team... When I met my new teammates/ fellow Draftees I was happy and me another one instantly hit it off and enjoyed our time talking to each other... Things could be better but I can't complain I just hope some day I can work hard enough with this team that we make the playoffs and I meet one of the teams that passed on me or meet Regina in the finals to show how much I have grown since we last met and how I could have been for them. I will enjoy my time on Vancouver and work as hard as I can to become one of the best in our sport while also looking to elevate the game of my teammates.

As I walked into the team locker room for the first time, I couldn't help but feel a mix of emotions. On one hand, I was excited to finally be a part of the team and to have the chance to play with them. But on the other hand, I was also a little nervous. I didn't know anyone on the team yet, and I wasn't sure how I would fit in. I walked over to my locker and put my bag down, taking a deep breath. I could hear the sound of laughter and chatter coming from the other side of the room. I peeked over and saw some of my teammates hanging out together. I hesitated for a moment, not sure if I should join in or just find a spot to put my things. But before I could decide, one of my teammates looked over and saw me. He smiled and waved me over. "Hey man, come join us," he said. Feeling a little more at ease, I walked over and sat down with the team. They welcomed me with open arms and we started chatting and getting to know each other. I realized that despite my nerves, I was exactly where I belonged.

As I walked into the locker room for the first time I couldn’t help but smile. The thing I had been working my entire life for had finally come in to fruition. But deep inside I could not lie that I did not feel nervous. I’ve always seen nerves as being a good thing because it shows that you care about what is happening. There’s no better feeling than walking into someone where new and everybody being super supporting and offering their support and help to a young player that in that moment may feel like a deer in headlights. Now that I have gotten to this point my only options are to work as hard as I can and make them not regret drafting me and help the team make it to the post season and win a championship. All in all, Im happy to be where I am and excited to leave my mark on this league and city and the fans.

[Image: smurfunkel.png]
Sig By @enigmatic

Sitting home with my family in Freiburg, it was exciting to receive the phone call from Carolina that the Kraken selected me to join them in the SMJHL. I promptly called my boss over at Aldi where I was bagging groceries to let him know I was flying out to the states. During the flight, some tall guy wearing a cowboy hat next to me annexed the armrest between our seats, which, for a seven hour flight, was incredibly frustrating. It was an early flight too; 5:15 out of Frankfurt with a FlixBus leaving Freiburg HBF at about 0:30. Needless to say, I was pretty tired when I arrived. To make matters worse, I transferred in Charolette and American Airlines delayed my flight in that mess of an airport, so I was awake for nearly 40 hours by the time I finally reached the team.

Formal introductions with the GM and ownership came first. Apparently, you can't have beer in the states until you're 21 - that will be and adjustment. They gave me a rundown on a number of rules, let me know my billet family would pick me up in a few hours, and that I could opt into English courses and tutoring through a partnership with Wake Forest University. We then headed down to Honkey Tonk Smokehouse where I had some of the best meats of my life. I believe it was called brisket; and it came with this senf (mustard?) sauce that had this smokey flavor that I learned was barbeque. It's apparently pretty popular there and, as I was told, Carolina does it better than anywhere else in the states. The ownership group then passed me off to Coach, who took me to the rink and showed me around with the captain, whose name I would remember, were I not as tired as I currently am with so little sleep. We have some of the same customs on our teams in Germany - such as not stepping on the logo - and the captain further explained various penalties that I would have to pay, which I think he called fines, were I not to perform certain tasks in the locker room.

Thereafter, coach left me with our captain. He took us to meet the boys, who were all lifting weights with their legs and very cult-like about "leg day". I always enjoyed working my legs too, so I should be able to fit in with their quasi-cult. Cap immediately got their attention and introduced me, and they greeted me with a round of applause and all then introduced themselves. Thereafter, I was taken to do some media stuff - pictures, some short clips for the scoreboard in stoppages, advertisements for some sponsors like Raisin' Canes - but they could see the dark circles under my eyes and knew just how exhausted I was. Thereafter I finally met my billet family, who took me out to dinner and explained some house rules before I let them know just how badly I needed to sleep. Once we reached their home, I discovered that I had yet to call my mother that I successfully made it to Carolina, and immediately called her. I type this now before I finally rest my eyes. but I am excited to wake up with renewed energy and get to work. Jet lag cannot be that bad, right?

[Image: Jzx3Bxg.jpg]

In my case, the event was quite amusing because I was at home - in Latvia - during the draft. I knew there was a good chance of being selected in round one, but still decided to stay with the family. So it happened that I was asleep at that point, and when I woke up I found out that I was part of Regina Elk's team, plus I was selected in Round 1. I packed immediately to get home to the new team, it wasn't as simple as that, because the plane tickets weren't as likely to get. So I've ended up at the end point successfully and I've come to the team dressing room too, it's only by local time that there are night hours and nobody has really been on the ground. Only the general manager of the team greeted me with open arms and thought this collaboration would be successful and lasting. It enjoys me because I already like this team.

I was supposed to attend the SMJHL draft in person with my family, but since it overlapped with this year's IIHF tournament in Finland, we instead decided to watch the draft's live stream together even though it was late at night. Especially since my dad is playing in the gold medal game tonight and on top of everything it's at home this year with all of our relatives watching, so I didn't want to miss that either. Which means so far I have only virtually walked into the locker room and chatted with some of my new teammates online. They're all really nice and I can't wait to meet everyone in person. Coincidentally due to the timing of the IIHF tournament that meant that Newfoundland's new Co-GM was also in Tampere, because he's playing for the team (don't ask me how that works...) so I got to meet one half of the management already. We will likely fly back together tomorrow, so I have time to learn more about what awaits me and ask questions. So far I've heard many great things.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Québec's recruits had barely arrived in the city that already management wanted them to understand just how awesome their city was and how it was above the rest of the SMJHL's other homes. Hungover as hell from celebrating their draft, the rookies were taken on a bus tour of the city and force fed poutine for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Although poutine is known as a hungover remedy, it can become deadly to the uninitiated if you start mixing weird shit in it and management chose the most unappetizing flavours they could. The weakest among the players couldn't handle the mixture of grease and left over nausea from the day before so they found themselves begging their new bosses not to take them to the practice rink so early in their young careers. Of course management didn't care and took them to the rink after to meet their new teammates. The veterans on the team, having gone through something similar, also had no pity and thought it was hilarious to do everything in their power to make the rookies' first day as Citadelles miserable. Although the rookies didn't find it amusing, they will probably love inflicting the same thing on their new teammates next season.

[Image: Oqsvuu4.png]
FranceCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersFrance

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2023, 11:01 AM by Josh Latreille. Edited 1 time in total.)

I had planned to attend the draft live, I knew I was likely a high 3rd round pick, maybe a late 2nd at the most so I likely had some time to kill before getting ready. Why not hit the ODR with my brother? We lace up the skates and practice around the pond a bit, then all of a sudden we hear a spine chilling roar. We turn around to see a the biggest moose we’ve ever seen, this thing was bigger than marchands nose! Luckily we were playing with a maple syrup infused puck, so Kyle and I quickly make a plan, I carry the puck and distract the moose with a dirty lil slew foot, Kyle gets in position and I make a pass so pretty the sky would shed a tear, and this kid just rips the puck, it might as well have been shot out of a cannon, the moose screams as it’s coming in and the puck goes right down the mooses throat. Remember the syrup infused puck? Mooses. Love. Syrup. The big fella started doing the griddy back into the forest and left us alone, in all of this Kyle and I get back just in time to see me go 29th OVR! The Yukon Malamutes, Everybody’s cheering! Me, Kyle, my Girlfriend, even the moose! When I walk into the locker room a wave up warmth covers me, I’m welcomed with open arms by my new teammates, I am officially a pup, we’re all making jokes and having fun! I almost forgot that we drafted 1st OVR because I didn’t feel any less important in the room. The GM even took me aside to talk about writing sources for when I have free downtime! I have found my home, thank you Yukon!

[Image: latrielle.png]
Sig. Graphic made by Ragnar

It was a cold crisp evening in Southern Quebec, as the snow drifted I sat eagerly waiting by the television for the draft to be broadcast nationwide. As is tradition with all SMJHL draftees that had come before, I had a beer in one hand, and the remote in the other. There had been a delay, technical issues they say. The excitement and anxiety building with each passing minute as the evening grew darker and darker. 

When the draft finally did arrive, I'm sure all the prospects, family, and friends were on the edge of their couches, waiting for their name to be called. And then it happened, I had to rub my eyes to make sure that I wasn't seeing things or misheard the draft announcement...7th!? It was like I was dreaming! With such a strong draft class with many prospects with family name and pedigree behind them, I was not expecting to hear my name in the 1st or 2nd round. 

Immediately after my name was called, before I could even collect my thoughts on what just happened. My hopes and dreams, everything that I had worked towards kicked into motion. My phone was ringing off the hook, messages pouring in. But the one that caught my eye was from the GM "Welcome to the Yukon Malamutes", that was when it felt real. 

That very night the Malamutes flew me on the teams private jet to meet the team in person. As I stepped into the locker room I was impressed, I knew the Malamutes were a young team and everything would be new and shiny, but I did not expect this level of detail and care. In the centre of the locker room was the Yukon Malamutes logo, regal and proud with its piercing gaze. I was careful to not step on the logo while saying hi to my new teammates.

In the middle of the dressing room, separating the two sets of player stalls was a large mahogany trophy case. There were many individual team awards, pictures of past coaches and captains. But I saw something was missing, the entire top shelf was empty. I knew then and there why, it is our destiny to bring the Four Star Cup here to the Yukon. That isn't a dream anymore, it is within reach, so close. We will raise the cup together as new teammates, new friends, my new family.
Malamutes Malamutes Malamutes Malamutes Malamutes

[Image: EdmTeamPhoto.png?ex=6605c039&is=65f34b39...height=623]
Edmonton Blizzard Co-GM
Yukon Malamutes Hall of Fame
[Image: NwdnVLP.png][Image: fDB9MNX.png] 
[Image: 3j8MIXU.png]
Granny Panpan Count: 258

The day was going slow i was anxious, i was so excited to see where i’m gonna be playing and the clock strikes 8PM. It’s time. Wait no i can’t find it what’s going on where’s the draft, panic starts blasting threw my body i can barely think so i just messages the group chat and instantly a sigh of relief. I didn’t miss it. Technical Difficulties were being dealt with on the fly. Now time for the draft for real this time. 
I got to see my brother get drafted a few picks before me and i was so happy for him it was a dream come true. Great Fall Grizzlies Select 35ovr… Kyle Latreille, I was jumping for joy everything i worked for truly payed off. Once i joined the team i was welcomed by the coach, I can truly call myself a Bear Cub.  
The second i step foot into the locker room i was instantly greeted by coaches and players, one even made a funny comment about my brother which made us all laugh. 
I Finally sat down and just looked at everything this team had to offer and i couldn’t have been happier to be drafted. All the players and coaches have made me feel at home right away so i couldn’t ask for anything else cause this is home .  
Grizzlies

[Image: Duga.gif]
Sig made by - @Ragnar or @XxCL16xX (if you made one for me let me know ill tag you)

Hard to believe that just last night, I was sitting on the couch at my parents house surrounded by friends and family and waiting to hear my name called. I had no idea when it would be, but we knew that by the end of the night, I'd be one step closer to my dream of being in the SHL. Around 11pm, it happened. "The Kelowna Knights are proud to select, from Berlin, Germany, centreman Wilhelm von Hindenburg II", said a man whose face I didn't know.

I pull up to the rink for the first time. It's nice, definitely better than any rink I've been in. I follow the signs to the locker room, and can hear the chatter inside. Music playing, people laughing. I swing the door open, and all at once, everyone in the room looks up. "Willy!!", says one voice. "Hey man, welcome to the team, we're really glad to have you here". I see the locker with my name on it and take a seat. Everyone is so welcoming, and the room is in great condition. I smile, and open my hockey bag.

Time to get to work.

Walking into the Quebec City Citadelles' locker room for the first time was probably the best experience of my life. I was not only already hyped because I had been drafted in the first round, way earlier than I had expected, but the team itself seemed to be the perfect fit for me. As soon as I stepped in, all of my teammates accepted me with open arms and welcomed me. We had so much fun, joking around with air horns and playing with balloons from the welcome party. A coach from my college hockey team had even been there to wish me farewell. That very moment, I realized that I wanted to try my hardest and work with these awesome teammates to the best of my ability to create a better future for hockey in Quebec City. I know I will enjoy my time playing my favorite sport, ice hockey, in Quebec City.

[Image: justheretoleave.gif]
sigs by @sulovilen, 'you belong in' sticker by @sve7en
[Image: VGl3CB4.png][Image: DpCJiuF.png]
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: 1I2bN7C.png]

the locker room when I first walked in was a dumpster fire. things thrown all over the place with little organization. My stall is kinda sick though so that part is alright. what is really cool about the stall that i have is the number and name of everyone who sat there is listed. the one taht is really interesting is noted next to the name wang. it says cuck king which is shocking if you actually learn about his reputation on the squad back in the day. dude claimed to do all the things yet the note engraved in the stall suggests he really was not as cool as he said he was. the other cool thing about the LR is teh space that is left for cups in the trohpy cabinet. shockingly there are very few cups taht have come through alaska but when designing the locker room they figured that they would have a fair few more trohpys than they currently have. will we change that? probably not but its gonna be a chill time in the frozen tundra.

It was kind of weird walking into the locker room because it wasn’t the Nevada one but I’ll explain why. For those of you who don’t know, my Uncle is the GM of the Nevada Battleborn so I got to spend a lot of time with those players and learn their stories, but some team called Regina drafted me on draft night and now I’m meeting a bunch of people for the first time and they’re all cool. They’re an incredibly friendly bunch of people who have been nothing but welcoming so far. There aren’t many veterans left on the squad as a lot of them were called up or traded out, but the goalie Alexis Texas made sure to bake a cake for the squad of new rookies that came out pretty damn awesome. There were also handwritten notes in all of our lockers that just said “e” and I’m not entirely sure who they came from but I appreciate the effort they went through because it was a fancy looking “e.”

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]