Create Account

S69 SMJHL PT #3 - Rivalry Week

Which team is your team's biggest rival in the league and why? This could be due to recent history, old history, medium history, personal beef, branding antagonism, passing on you in the draft, etc. - whatever the reason, which team in the league would you consider to be the biggest rival of your team?
Written option: 150 words on the above
Graphic option: Make a Rivalry Week promo graphic highlighting the two teams squaring off
Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)
Only S69 SMJHL Rookies (S70 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.
Link PBE, ISFL or SSL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.
Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.
Deadline: Sunday, Feburary 5th @ 11:59pm PST

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

I'm the young hockey player and my knowledge of the history of the league is not one of those best, but I certainly know that the Great Falls Grizzlies are the main competitors of our Regina Elk team. I'll tell you why. Both teams joined the league in 61 seasons as the league expanded its horizons. Because teams are made at the same time, it makes the games between the two more special, the willingness to prove which team is better. The results have been like uphill for both teams, good seasons have changed not so good and both still like to lift the league's galena trophy above their heads. History is what unites these two teams. It's not that easy to join the league as a young team and so it's beautiful to watch teams like this grow and develop. On the whole, we can conclude that the Great Falls team has played better after one overall achievement - it has reached the league final, where it has had to come to terms with the loss. Regina, on the other hand, has never come this far and is only on the to-do list. Will any of these teams be able to win the title in the coming seasons? I think it's possible, just to wait.

I'm pretty new here, so I haven't made a lot of rivals just yet. But I guess it's about time to start one? I was drafted with the 11th pick of the S69 SMJHL Draft by the Colorado Raptors, an utterly humiliating reach. But so far I haven't made the team bottom out, so I guess ignorance is bliss for them for now. But I was also having lots of scouting conversations with a fellow who claimed to be French. Now, I'm not a well-travelled man. I'm just from little ol Alabama. But I know for a fact that people from France are called French. I don't know of any other things called French unless you are a thinly sliced potato or a eggy piece of bread. Yet, this man, who claims to be "French(ie)" is actually from Canada??? I mean, sure he might can speak the French language, but that don't make him an Eiffel Tower lover! But yeah, anyways, that never quite sat right by me. So I was relieved that the Raptors reached for me in the 1st when I had a UDFA preliminary grade. So I wouldn't have to constantly ask myself whether my GM was lying to me in Carolina. This one is for you @ItsFrenchie.

[Image: jwpshl.png]

The 69th SMJHL season has started quite differently for the rivals of the north. As the 2 most northern teams, the Anchorage Armada and Yukon Malamutes have been heated (ice cold?) rivals since the Malamutes came into the league. Both teams with tough road game schedules, and dealing with the longer night time hours can be taxing on any athlete, making the players on both teams even even more impressive doing what they do night in night out in that harsh environment.

With the Malamutes in its fifth season, and the Armada being one of the original (though relocated) teams of the J, the rivalry of new dogs on the block versus one of the more storied franchises in league is truly one of David versus Goliath. However, there is optimism in the Yukon as the team is starting to find it's rhythm and climb up the standings. This season, the 2 teams have mirrored records so far, with Yukon holding on at 6-10 and Anchorage boasts a 11-7 record. That being said, the teams are closer than it seems, in 10th place the Malamutes have a goal differential of -1 and the Armada are sitting at just +2. With just 3 goals difference, either of their records could have been flipped upside-down with just a little puck luck. 

I think either this season or next season, you will see a newly crowned "King" of the North.

241 words

[Image: EdmTeamPhoto.png?ex=6605c039&is=65f34b39...height=623]
Edmonton Blizzard Co-GM
Yukon Malamutes Hall of Fame
[Image: NwdnVLP.png][Image: fDB9MNX.png] 
[Image: 3j8MIXU.png]
Granny Panpan Count: 258

There’s always tension between brothers, always a sense of, “which one will do better.” Being picked in the same draft only adds to that pressure. To throw more gas on the fire, I play in the same division as him, this is Yukon vs Great Falls, Brother vs Brother. 

In the draft Great Falls was to choose 1st overall, but Yukon traded with them to get it, sometimes I think about how this trade has affected the early stages of our careers. Both of these teams had more of a rebuild in mind going into this draft, but the grizzlies were ahead in their rebuild stage. This gave Great Falls an advantage that has stretched into the first quarter of the season, but there is plenty of time for this rivalry to heat up down the line, Yukon is 6-10 with a -1 goal differential, putting them in 10th place while Great Falls is 9-8-1 with a +6, putting them in 7th place. 

Kyle and I are very different players in our style, but we both have the same goals, we want to win. That’s what we’re here to do, and having a little brother that puts the amount of effort that Kyle puts into this league allows for me to push myself to strive and stay competitive with him. 

253 words

[Image: latrielle.png]
Sig. Graphic made by Ragnar

[Image: nlnbb.png]

[Image: ivanovamin.png]
Player Page - Update Thread

Once the season started off i new my rival was going to be my brother, He got drafted before me which makes me wanna push harder and both of us are trying to be the better player. Joshs build is like a Tkachuk or Marchand build whereas mine is a mix of Patty Kane and Cole Caulfied. Our goals aren’t far off we both want the cup, yeah we have personal goals like hitting a certain amount of points or fight or something down those lines.

Yukon is in 10th place, They are 6-10-0 with 12 points they’re still holding 2nd in our division. Great Falls is in first with 9-8-1 we have 19 points leaving us in 6th place.
There’s always a small rivalry with your draft class wether it’s the first rounders or just someone that went before you but mine is with my brother which already brings more pressure than anyone could imagine. We’re going to go all out trying to prove which ones the best, Who will it be???

(182 words)

[Image: Duga.gif]
Sig made by - @Ragnar or @XxCL16xX (if you made one for me let me know ill tag you)

I have been a part of the Citadelles organization since Day One. As such, I know very well who our biggest rivals are. They are in fact *checks notes* the Anchorage Armada. I am so well versed in the history of our franchise that I definitely know we have met a total of <insert yuge number here> times in the playoffs. Meeting the same team so often in the playoffs can only mean serious beef between two franchises. Considering we haven't won a championship in quite some time, I can only guess Anchorage had the better of us most of the time. Well, that is about to change. To every Anchorage Armada player, if you got a fucking problem with me come down to Québec and solve it. You can find me at the University of Laval Engineering college. Come at me.

I just spent 30 minutes looking for that copy pasta I hope the older users can appreciate it.

[Image: Oqsvuu4.png]
FranceCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersFrance

Grisha Usjkal has only recently entered the League via the waiver system, therefore he has yet to develop a fierce rivalry with any team or player in particular, but obviously he wants to see his team succeed and in that effort the Anchorage Armada have ascended to being his divisional rival. They have proven infuriating to play against as Uskjal prefers to be a defender rather than offensive creator, but against the Anchorage he had to step up his game. So far, Uskjal has scored 1 Goal and 2 assists in his two games against the Armada, which for him are far above expectation, but not nearly enough to secure his team to win. The first meeting of the two saw the Armada sail off to victory 2/3 after being down 2/1 in the beginning of the 3rd. In their second meeting, the raptors were focused on getting the W, going up 2/0 early into the 2nd only to squander the game and lose 2/3. All this has ignited a drive in Uskjal to shore up his defensive game and become a better team player offensively, in order to help his team sink the Armada.

I think probably the Knights' biggest rivals in the league would probably be another older team. The only two teams that I can think of that have the history to really battle with the Knights so much would be the Detroit Falcons or the St Louis Scarecrows, and honestly I think that the Knights have faced off against Detroit more often in games that actually mattered. So, it would probably be between the two as the old "Storied Rivalry" of the league. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the Montreal Militia. I think the Colorado Raptors have been around a while, but not as long as Kelowna, Detroit, and St Louis. But I do want to quickly point out that I think the coolest rivalry would actually be Newfoundland and Quebec City. That seems like a nice Geographic battle. Anyway, I think the Knights would also have some sort of rivalry with the Maine Timbers for them literally stealing their colors. Like, what are you doing there, bud?

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

For a joke answer to start, Regina’s biggest rival is the first round of the SMJHL playoffs. With a whopping two series wins in the first round in franchise history, the relationship is pain. I would say the biggest rival for the Regina Elk right now is the Great Falls Grizzlies. I wouldn’t say its an inherently a malicious rivalry, both teams hold each other in good regards and treat each other with respect. The rivalry comes from the expansion aspect of things, both of us are looking to get that first title before the other team can and the race for the cup is on. Great Falls has the edge right now with their team while Regina rebuilds, but it’s a friendly race to challenge each other for the crown. On a personal rivalry, Willow Soderberg-Snooks views Nevada as a big rival because her uncle refused to draft her and she went to Regina which while she loves it there, she is hurt.

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 08:38 PM by nerji. Edited 1 time in total.)

As a new draftee I'm not sure about historical rivals at all but when we look at geographical rivals I'd have to say Kelowna Knights are our biggest rival. While it's still a 450km trip between our two cities we're both still in the province of British Columbia so there is a "Battle of BC".  Currently both teams are struggling a bit in season 69 and they have played three games so far with Vancouver winning two of the games with both wins being relatively close and Kelownas win being a bit of an easy game for them. In season 68, they tied the season series at two games each. Other regional rivals for the Whalers would include the Anchorage Armada and the Yukon Malamutes. While Anchorage is off to a good start this season, Yukon finds itself right above Vancouver in the standings so those head to head games will be very important.

Code:
154 words

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png] [Image: 1I2bN7C.png]

historically the rivalry that has been largest for the armada was the rivalry with vancover. this comes from a few series in the last s40s and early s50s, the old days of the shl back when the sim was on sths and players passing ability didnt matter at all. this included three straight seasons where they matched up in the playoffs and vaocover took one 4 star cup in that time in a season where anchorage was also considered a top contender. sadly for that rivalry the series went through a long dead period where neither team was top level, with anchorage being middle of teh league for a lot of it and then vancover having a long time being mediocre to bad. that said both franchises still have some deep seeded hate for each other and i think they look forward to the games vs each other each season. here is to hoping that both teams are able to reawaken in the short term to kick off more rivalry games with real meaning.

I would love to go into more depth in regards to who my rival is or who our team rival is but the truth is revealing such information could give away too much to those other competitors. I prefer to maintain a stealth approach like that they never see my superiority coming until it is too late. Reassured there is a rival, I am not just rambling because I have no rival. I am not one to throw around trash talk as that never has been my style, I watch the scoreboards and leader boards and keep eyes on who is above me. In fact my rival could very easily be described as the person who is right ahead of me in performance. All I can say for certain is don't look back or I could be creeping up on anyone else next. Unless you are a player, then it is like apples to oranges. But if your a goalie! Watch out!

Tibuk Soonika - G - Tampa Bay Barracuda| Portal Page
BarracudaSwitzerlandKnights

On a muggy August day in Jacksonville, Florida two brothers were born to the same father but different mothers, Mit and Shorsey Wobet. And from that day forward Mit dominated everything they ever did. Mit was potty trained first, lost his virginity first, was always the better-looking brother, and was drafted before Shorsey in the SMJHL draft. Shorsey only started hockey because of Mit in the first place. Mit even recorded his first-ever Junior’s goal against his own brother on the ice. And the Zerks currently hold a 2-0 record over the Raptors since both teams drafted the Wobet brothers. Even up to the writing of this PT the Zerks are rolling in the standings and the Raptors are slipping. Yeah, you must come to the conclusion that Mit is not only better than Shorsey at hockey but pretty much anything else ever. Don’t even bother to ask Shorsey his side of things. It would be pretty amazing if he could even string together words!

-Totally not written by Mit Wobet

[Image: Pi43cEV.png]
Big Thanks to @Sburbine & @Carpy48 for the dope graphic!
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/sgu3vVP.png[/img]