Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #1: S71 Top 20 Breakdown
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2023, 10:52 AM by CptSquall. Edited 3 times in total.)

For this first Deep Dive, I will be looking at a breakdown of the *current* top 20 in TPE for the S71 SHL Draft and which teams these players belong to. Teams may want more representation in the tops of drafts because if these players get sent down, the team will likely be strong next season. So lets have a look. I'm only looking at the current Top 20 in the SHL Analytics class tracker.

Whalers 3
Thomas Liebold - RW
Inactive Forever - RW
Bellamy Blake - LD

Kraken 3
Filip Svatos - LW
Alexej Kastrba - RW
Matt Stro - RW

Scarecrows 2
Dominik Winters - C
Jay Bryzi - RD

Malamutes 2
Theodore Svatos - RW
Furios Chicken - LD

Raptors 2
Oliver Castillon - C
Scary Jerry - G

Armada 2
Finn Weiss - RW
Barg Hazbite - RW

Elk 1
Mercedes Bayle - LW

Knights 1
Logan Webb - LW

Berserkers 1
Adelbert Steiner - RD

Grizzlies 1
Levin Schattenaxt - RW

Battleborn 1
Max Carnage - C

Timber 1
Mick Mayhem - RD

Falcons 0

Citadelles 0

How does the presence of active rookies from this class affect standing? Well, it may not be a direct one to one correlation, as it is possible that a team gets carried by players who are send downs instead. Let's take a look, though. Vancouver and Carolina are middle of the pack. Vancouver is at least a little higher, at 6th in the standings, to Carolina's 9th. It seems that send-downs may be a theme here. The Berserkers, Grizzlies and the Timber have 1 each, and they are definitely two of the top teams in the league. This shows that they not only have hit on their pick this season, but have done that in the past setting this juniors team up for great success. The Malamutes have 2 and they're 10th, the Crows also have 2 and they find themselves well in the basement of the SMJHL. Sometimes it does work though, as Quebec City have zero top 20 players from S71 and they are pretty terrible, with only 20 points. It may be a long run for Quebec City and a bit of a slog since they do not have their draft pick in this upcoming draft.

So will these players stay active? Well, it is definitely tough to say. After all, this is a fictional league and these people are not aspiring professional hockey players (well, most of them) who earn money from this. If the projections remain the same though, these middle of the pack teams who have good classes could benefit from these players who are most likely to be capped next season being sent down. Not winning the league this season makes a difference too, as they should have a decent enough pick. Of course, there is always the issue of draft class size, which can throw a wrench into things. Look for teams like Vancouver, Carolina, Colorado, and yes, even St. Louis to take the next step sooner rather than later. Of those teams, Colorado is probably the most equipped for a deep run at the current moment, but the Whalers are not far behind. It is one thing to draft these players, but keeping them active and max earning is another thing, which makes locker room quality and cohesion a major factor. I can only speak for Vancouver's locker room, but they're certainly nailing that! It will be quite interesting to track these trends and how the S71 class evolves during the next couple seasons. I really thing it is a super strong class that will be remembered as a gem of the 70s!

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2023, 05:53 PM by RainDelay.)

READY FOR GRADING

(my post initially said NOT READY, that's why I replied)

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]

Approved, +5 TPE to @RainDelay

[Image: CptSquall.gif]