Create Account

S71 mPT#4: Family and Photo Albums

This season, tell me about your player's life outside of hockey!

Your task: Tell me about your player's childhood introduction to hockey! Did their dad take them to the rink one day? Was mom a die-hard Toronto Stars fan? There are no wrong answers!

25 words minimum!

You will receive 1 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

This PT will close Monday, June 26th at 11:59pm PST. Posts submitted/edited after the deadline will receive 0 TPE.

If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. Graders reserve the right to determine what is malicious. You will not be warned.

This PT is for SHL players and send downs only; it is not for SMJHL Rookies.

[Image: zN6tB52.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2023, 08:54 AM by Zerg. Edited 1 time in total.)

Grzegorz was introduced to goaltending by catching Russian tank shell with his face during Warsaw Pact training exercise in 1987. He tried soccer, but big fluffy white ball doesn't remind him enough of being shot by tank, so he chose to be shot by Alex Ovechkin with rubber puck instead. Much closer to core memory.

[Image: zN6tB52.png]

None of my family played hockey or was even much of a hockey fan. I saw bits and pieces of hockey when I was kid. I remember watching Patrick Roy and all of his swagger. That’s what really got me into it.

Strom's first introduction to the SHL was a Chicago Syndicate game in his adolescence.  From then on he was hooked and would routinely visit the Scarecrows games as they were also located in his hometown of St. Louis, MO.

Oliver Castillon was 3 years old and the family was still living in France at the time. They were visiting a Christmas Market which had a small outdoor rink set up, and little Ollie was fascinated with the way people whooshed past. His mom offered to go skating with him and when they got out to the ice, he wobbled a little bit before taking to the ice like a fish to water. He begged to go back to the rink every day for the rest of the festival, would skate around for as long as his mom or dad could keep up with him, and cried when they had to leave on the last day. His parents agreed to sign him up for skating lessons as soon as possible.

Hockey came about a year later, on a trip to visit his mom's family in Canada, close to Vancouver. His older cousins were obsessed with basement stickball and the SHL 54 video game. The idea of being able to play a game and skate at the same time sounded really fun to Ollie, even if hitting people sounded a bit scary. He begged his parents to let him play hockey, and they managed to hold off for a year 1) to let him get bigger and meet age requirements, and 2) to move to the Greater Toronto Area (for many reasons) where there were more options than the rink 3 hours away from their home in Montpellier.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Ekaterina confused wrestling on ice and hockey, which are quite similar sports where she grew up. When she was 14, after she was forced to quit weightlifting, a coach assured her that she could go back to the Olympics if she joined a hockey team.

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!

Slavakov first learned hockey for survival, as he used to skate in the ice fields of Siberia, but he is now skating for fun and money.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

Dirty Boots grew up with love for the game. Before he had his skates and hit the rink, he was outside on the street or in the flat fields in Newfoundland playing ball hockey with all the neighborhood kids. When he was asked by his parents if he'd like to start going to the rink he was all for it. The closest rink from his hometown was a good 45 minute drive away. But he and his parents remained dedicated to get out there and be the best. Boots never had a favorite team growing up. He just loved the game. To play it and watch it every day. It never got old.

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]

Wong was first introduced to hockey by his grandpa, he had watched games with his grandpa on the couch every night for as long as he could remember. As soon as he found out that there was a league in his community, he asked his parents to sign him up and the rest is history.

[Image: EdmTeamPhoto.png?ex=6605c039&is=65f34b39...height=623]
Edmonton Blizzard Co-GM
Yukon Malamutes Hall of Fame
[Image: NwdnVLP.png][Image: fDB9MNX.png] 
[Image: 3j8MIXU.png]
Granny Panpan Count: 258

Georg's dad took him to watch the Flyers game, Kloten one not Philly one and ever since he fell in love with the game, still going strong and making a career out of it for himself

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

Miguel Hefeweizen was introduced to the game hockey at a young age by his father, who loved to go watch the local college team play even though Hockey isn't as big in Austria as other places.

[Image: zootshl.gif]
Sig credits: OrbitingDeath & enigmatic

[Image: hUtg6sH.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png]

Timber Scarecrows pride Aurora France

Dangle was introduced to hockey by his parents. They used to go see Rytíři Kladno of the Czech Extraliga at every homegames since it was so close to his house.

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]

It all started as a kid. My uncle is Kain Webb a legend among the Calgary Dragon franchise and Hall of Famer for the SHL. I was taken to the rink one day to watch him play as a toddler, now most people wouldn’t remember an event such as this, but it was the challenge cup. Seeing him play, win the cup, the crowd erupt, the players celebrating. It locked in a core memory and created a drive to succeed.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Shaggy got introduced to hockey essentially as soon as he was born, because he spent the first year of his life in Toronto when his father Harry Carpet played for the North Stars. He really didn't have a choice, but he also doesn't really remember any of it. After that he mostly grew up in Finland so his first real introduction to skating and later to hockey came through the local youth hockey scene.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

My family was actually really big San Francisco Pride fans. They were big fans because they lived out in that area, so I grew up watching and having jerseys for the Pride. They are Toronto fans now, but growing up, I always was supporting the Pride.

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3