Create Account

S73 SMJHL PT #5 - MVP

The Ideen Fallah Trophy for MVP as decided by the Awards Committee is the most coveted individual award in the juniors league. Who is on track to win it this season?
Written Task: Which players are in the running for league MVP? (150 words min.)
Graphic Task: Create a graphic comparing the top 3 MVP contenders. Must include team logos and renders.
Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)
Only S73 SMJHL Rookies (S74 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.
Link PBE, ISFL or SSL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.
Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.
Deadline: Sunday, October 29th @ 11:59pm PST

[Image: pyro182.gif]

Thank you hewasajazzman, Slothfacekilla, Sulo, Frenchie, and Raymond for the sigs Smile
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2023, 02:47 PM by ThePyroAlpaca.)

The three players in the running are as different as they ate excellent. The three players are none other than Celeste Desjardins, Bog Damsel, and Squidwardo Tentaclés.

1. The clear favourite is Celeste Desjardins. They have been the rookie scoring leader since the first week of the season and doesn't look like they're giving it up. Besides dominating on the ice the user has been putting out A grade deep dives and media as shown in the "Do it for Netman" post. Celeste is also an active LR presence who everyone loves as shown by awarding them the A at the beginning of the year.

2. Next we have Bog Damsel. League leader in kicking ass and taking names. Some say they are the sole reason fighting is up across the league. Regardless they sell excitement with arenas average attendance jumping 15% whenever Damsel is playing. Outside of the arena everyone who meets them only has glowing reviews, Bog has endeared themselves to everyone becoming the heart and soul of the league.

3. Finally we have Net Man. Literally the only reason Quebec is high in the standings, he stands on his head every night. Off the ice he has been crucial in baby-sitting..I mean mentoring all of the unhinged QCC rookies. #DIFNM

[Image: fFccrkD.png]

PBE Affiliate
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2023, 03:50 PM by Jexter. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think I've narrowed it down to four candidates. These are in no particular order:

1. Graham Schwartz. Its hard not to have the best player (plus/minus wise) from the best team on the list, but I think any player from Vancouver may be hampered by the fact that they are all playing too well. Forever's numbers aren't eclipsing those of others on the leader board. Also I was tempted to maybe put a goalie from Vancouver, but both have been good as a tandem.

2. Next is Celeste Desjardins who is a runaway rookie of the year at this point. They have wowed on a young and talented Quebec City Roster, but I think they might lose out since there are a few with more accolades and stats this season.

3. Thomas Sawschuck. I think the flashy play and leading amount of points of Sawshuck that have helped propel Nevada into second place should be greatly recognized and an MVP award would be greatly deserved. Sawshuck will likely be the X factor in playoffs after have well over a point per game this season.

Honorable mention of the 4th one.
4. Stun Gun. By far the best goalie this year, Gun has been able to drag their team into 3rd place after getting the lions share of the starts and a feast of wins.

[Image: lhlsigv2.jpg?ex=65cd244a&is=65baaf4a&hm=...5a69dcac4&]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2023, 03:50 PM by Jexter. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think I messed up in this reply thing

[Image: lhlsigv2.jpg?ex=65cd244a&is=65baaf4a&hm=...5a69dcac4&]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig

It might be a bit of a surprise but I think that Celeste Desjardins of the Quebec City Citadelles might have to be considered for the Most Valuable Player award. They are a rookie S74 player but they are currently 2nd in scoring for their team, using their matchups to their advantage and taking the opportunities being afforded to them when they are against softer opposition. This helps to spread out the talent in the team and means that Quebec City can have multiple lines that threaten opponents.

Even though he stands out less, Trevor Lahey of the Detroit Falcons is worthy of a nomination as well. Being tasked to do everything in every situation for the Falcons, Lahey has stood up as the leader of the team and played very hard minutes against opposition top lines. Without him the Falcons would be suffering quite a lot in both offense and defense, and wouldn't be where they are right now in the standings.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

I'm going to talk a little bit about two players who I believe are firmly in the running for the MVP award if the season were to finish today with player stats as they stand. The first player is Thomas Sawschuk of the Nevada Battleborn, the man who leads the league in both points and goals and has been nothing short of a sensation when it comes to offensive production this year. Scoring numbers play a huge role in MVP discussions and with Sawschuk having such a dominant run this year, I'd be surprised if he slowed down during the final games of the season, making him my clear choice as MVP favourite at this moment in time. Another player I think is potentially deserving of an MVP shout however is Sawschuk's teammate in Nevada, I-Stir MyPudding. MyPudding leads all defensemen in scoring in the SMJHL, while also posting impressive hits and takeaway totals, meaning he has been truly effective on both ends of the ice, something that definitely is deserving of some level of recognition. I'd be surprised if Sawschuk doesn't go on to win it, but there's certainly the potential for some other players to pip him to the post during the final week of the regular season.

Code:
210 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

I think for the MVP this season, the most obvious choice is going to be Thomas Sawschuk. Sitting at a whopping 79 points in 48 games played is absolutely insane. And its not just assists, they're currently sitting at number two in the race for who scores the most goals, sitting at 35 just one goal behind the frontrunner, Mercedes Bayle. Speaking of Bayle, they could also be in the running for MVP talks. As mentioned before, they're currently number one in terms of goals scored and are tied for fifth in points scored, sitting at 71 points. But we can't forget about goaltenders. Scary Jerry of the Vancouver Whalers is helping this team achieve greatness, sporting a 0.924 save percentage and a 2.32 goals against average. Of course, they have a stellar defense in front of them helping out, but those numbers are nothing to dismiss.

WC: 152

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2023, 03:17 AM by hockeyiscool. Edited 3 times in total.)

As it stands currently, the frontrunner for SMJHL most valuable player would be Thomas Sawschuck of the Nevada Battleborn. As they currently lead the league in points, Sawschuck is currently in a three way tie for most goals scored with thirty-seven and has the most assists with forty-nine. However, newcomer to the league Cob O'corn has had an electric start to his career in Carolina having only four games played they are registering some ludicris advanced stat metrics They currently have a staggering league leading 5.7 goals for per sixty minutes played on top of having such a great goals for stat O'corn is also currently leading the league in Goals against per sixty minutes of play with a 0.9 goals allowed per sixty metric. The second closest has a goals allowed of 1.6 goals per sixty minutes. If Cob O'corning continues their pace Cob would be considered as one of the most prolific member of the SMJHL in regards to those metrics.

[166 words]

ISFL Affiliate

With only 25% of the regular season remaining, here are my candidates for league MVP of the SMJHL in S73:

First up we have Scott Seitz, RD, Vancouver, Who leads the lead in points for a Defenseman as of this writing and rocking a +/- of 32, a big reason why Vancouver are runaway league leaders. Next there is Thomas Sawschuk, C, Nevada. The all-situations Center has a commanding league lead in points after an impressive tally of 106 in S72. Finally, my dark horse pick is Joseph Reed, C, Anchorage. The sneaky pick here comes courtesy of our stats nerds, who love Reed's league-leading CF% of 58.4%, despite a slightly unlucky PDO of 99.3. As first line center on the third place team, he should be in the conversation. 

Ultimately, I think the award goes to Sawschuk, the point totals are just too hard to ignore and its what the media and committees really latch onto. 

[169 words]

\

In the final week of the regular season, I have narrowed it down to my personal top 3 MVPs I would nominate for the award in no particular order.

Nevada's Center Thomas Sawschuk - Currently leading the league in points, Sawschuk is also sitting 16 points ahead of the next closest player on his team, sure his linemates both have 70 points, but other than that no one else on the team is at a point per game. Sawschuk is playing power play, penalty kill, and the first line, with a high CF% of 57.

Regina's Right Wing Mercedes Bayle - Currently tied with Sawschuk in goals with 37, Bayle has put up 74 points in 51 games, 16 more than the next player on their team. The third highest scoring player on their team is sitting 21 points behind Bayle, as they carry the majority of offense for the Elk. Mercedes Bayle hasn't played on the penalty kill much, but when theyre the main goal scorer, they shouldn't have to.

Anchorage's Goaltender Stun Gun - Suprisingly I would nominate a goaltender for the MVP honours. Stun Gun has put up an incredible 29 wins in 41 games so far, despite Anchorage playing a highly defensive style and trying to limit shots against as much as possible, Stun Gun still has had great results on their workload. Currently Stun Gun is 5th in save percentage while making the 6th most saves, and sitting 3rd in Goals Against Average. Stun Gun is currently first in the league in wins though, being 6 ahead of the closest goaltender at 29. Stun gun is also first in Shutouts with 5, and most importantly is first in Goals Saved Above Average with 23.09, if Anchorage had a league average goaltender instead, Anchorage could be down anywhere from 1-5 places in the standings.

[Image: TheOPSquid.gif]

My top three picks lead the league in their positions and could all comfortably be called league MVP. They are Thomas Sawschuck, Graham Schwartz, and Scarry Jerry!

1. The clear frontrunner for Juniors MVP is Thomas Sawschuck©. This offensive dynamo leads the league in points with 86 with the next player trailing 8 points behind. Thomas is also in an exciting three-          way tie for first in goals at 37 and hold first in assists at 49.

2. Next I would pick Graham Schwartz(LD). This 6'3" defensemen is sitting on a rock solid plus/minus of +48 while also putting up a snazzy 33 points in offense.

3. As a former goalie I can not leave my tendies in the cold. In 32 games played the giant otherwise known as Scarry Jerry(G) is holding a haunting 0.924 save percentage and a league leading 2.30 goals          against average.

[Image: pRYfhit.png]

MVP is a tough award to ... award. The issue at hand being what is considered MVP material? For example, as of right now Thomas Sawschuk of NBB has 7 more points than the next person, Jeff Hunziker of QCC, with 2 games in hand. Points lead to wins, you can't deny that. So if we are going off points, it seems like it is Thomas Sawschuk's award to lose. However, I don't think just points is enough to be an MVP. Someone has to score the Game Winning Goal, and that is directly related to wins. 3 Players currently have 7 Game Winning Goals, Thomas Liebold of VAN, Red Panda of REG, and ... Thomas Sawschuk of NBB. Again Thomas comes up. Most points, and Most game winning goals. That is impressive. As of this time, the beast themselves, Mercedes Bayle, is holding the most goals with 41, but Thomas has a game in hand.

It is often overlooked, however, on what the goalies have pulled off behind the front 5. VAN had a tandum of goalies, Scary Jerry and Joulu Kuusi, who have a sub 3 goals against average, with 2.34 and 2.92. Currently Ben Harrison has the most wins, with 25. Ally Mathieson has 2 less, with more games played. It is also worth saying that Stun Gun has been out of their mind, with 31.01 Goals Saved Above Average. It is an amazing stat.

In conclusion, Troy McClure should get the award.

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!