Create Account

Leo Roze - Defensive Player of the Year???

As everyone can see just looking at the standings, the Quebec City Citadelles are soaring high above the competition this year. We knew they would be good but no one could’ve predicted how dominant they were going to be coming into this season. Everything about Quebec City is clicking, their rookie goaltending has been outstanding and veteran scoring has continued being a staple of the team. The Season 74 lads have also stepped up in their role as the bulk of the team as an amazing core that’ll only get better as the season goes on.
One player easy to gloss over due to lack of point production, is having an extremely dominant year on the blue line. Leo Roze only has 1 goal and 14 points on the season so far. He does sit with the 12th (9th if you don’t include bots) worst shooting percentage of the season so far with a 1.9%, which is pretty horrible, but shooting has never been his strong suit. Despite his shortcomings on offense, has been absolutely instrumental for Quebec City. Averaging icetime of 20:48 , with 2:23 of that being on the penalty kill every game, he’s out there for a long time every night. With that ice team, he leads the J in plus/minus by a large margin, being +39 while the next closest is Dunkler Sowerwine at +30. Even among his teammates he’s an outlier in that stat as the next Owl after him sits at +27, which is still a very respectable number.
I have always said plus/minus is a fake stat, but that wide of a margin is something to look into, and when looking at other stats it's clear that he isn’t just lucky. Roze sits at 6th in blocked shots, with 105, that is 48 more blocks than the next player on the Owls. Here's the breakdown of the blocks leaders compared to the next highest on their team. If multiple players are in the top 10, I’ll compare them to the highest not in the top 10. I'll also include the standings of the teams in case you are curious.

1) Artturi Lappalainen - 156 Blocks, Next highest STL(14th) player: 77 {103% more}
2) Lazer Gato - 122 Blocks, Next highest CAR(9th) player: 76 {61% more}
3) Kristian Seppanen - 114, Next highest YUM(3rd) player: 76 {50% more}
4) Warwick Windsor - 112, Next highest GFG(13) player: 66 {70% more}
5) Troy McClure IIII - 106, Next highest REG(12) player: 87 {22% more}
6) Leo Roze - 105, Next highest QCC(1) player: 57 {84% more}
7) Buster Knutt - 103, Next highest MET(6) player: 66 {56% more}
8) Peanut - 102, Next highest GFG(13) player: 66 {55% more}
9) Ho Lee-Smokes - 99, Next highest NL(7) player: 77 {29% more}
10) Newton Campbell - 99, Next highest YUM(3rd) player: 76 {30% more}

Artturi Lappalainen clearly stands out among the rest of them, 103% more than the next highest player, but Roze sits not too far behind being 84% more than the next on his team. It’s also worth noting that Roze is doing this while also being on the best team in the league currently. Quebec City only gets 25 shots against per game, while St. Louis get 41.
A quick side note to this, of the top 15 in blocks, they all sit in a roughly 30-50 hit range, there’s not enough deviance for me to really mention it too in depth here. Hits are also a strange stat because the best defensive players from what I seen don’t usually lead in hits, forwards do. Lazer Gato however is a standout having almost 60 hits, while also sitting 2nd in blocks.

Now, where Roze truly shines is his advanced stats.

Goals Against/60 Amongst Defensemen

1) Leo Roze(QCC) - 1.7
2) Fredrik Gronlund (QCC) - 1.8
3) Jaromir Jagrbomb (QCC) - 2
4) Abdi Smokes (QCC) - 2.1
5) Stormlord Imotekh (DET) 2.2
6) Zedward Zilliams (DET) 2.3
7) Simo Jääskeläinen (DET) 2.3
8) Buster Knutt (MET) 2.4
9) Mephistopheles Morgonstjarna (DET) - 2.4
10) Jaun Tymer (QCC) - 2.4

Shots Against/60 Amongst Defensemen
1) Leo Roze (QCC) - 21.6
2) Juan Tymer (QCC) - 23
3) Jaromir Jagrbomb (QCC) - 23.5
4) Abdi Smokes (QCC) - 24.1
5) Fredrik Gronlund (QCC) - 24.2
6) Leon Rizzton (MET) - 24.3
7) Zedward Zilliams (DET) - 24.7
8) Demir Bellona (QCC) - 24.7
9) Simo Jääskeläinen (DET) - 24.9
10) Mephistopheles Morgonstjarna (DET) - 25

Corsi Amongst Defensemen
1) Roman Roy (NL) - 197
2) Leo Roze (QCC) - 191
3) Dunkler Sowerwine (DET) - 186
4) Simo Jääskeläinen (DET) - 174
5) Ondrej von Stoodrick (NL) - 173
6) Jeff GoldBlum (MET) - 165
7) Juan Tymer (QCC) - 161
8) Jaromir Jagrbomb (QCC) - 160
9) Eric Vanderberg Jr (NL) -  157
10) Teal'c (MET) - 148

Corsi For% Amongst Defensemen
1) Roman Roy (NL) - 59.6
2) Leo Roze (QCC) - 59.4
3) Ondrej von Stoodrick (NL) - 58.6
4) Dunkler Sowerwine (DET) - 58.2
5) Jaromir Jagrbomb (QCC) - 57.8
6) Simo Jääskeläinen (DET) - 57.8
7) Fredrik Gronlund (QCC) - 57.7
8) Juan Tymer (QCC) - 57.7
9) Eric Vanderberg Jr (NL) - 57.6
10) Jeff GoldBlum (MET) - 56.7

Relative Corsi For% amongst Defensemen
1) Graham Schwartz (VAN) - 4.9
2) Roman Roy(NL) - 4.7
3) Dunkler Sowerwine(DET) 4.6
4) Simo Jääskeläinen (DET) 3.9
5) Axel Hamalainen (STL) 3.7
6) Paul Bondage (KEL) - 3.3
7) Ondrej von Stoodrick (NL) - 3.1
8) Niclas Sundqvist (GFG) - 3.1
9) Sergey Ivanov (NBB) - 3.1
10) Leo Roze (QCC) - 2.8

Quick side note about Fenwick, Roze sits at the best Fenwick For%, and second best relative, I won’t be putting it up there again though because it doesn’t add too much that Corsi doesn’t already tell us. It would actually make Leo look better if I did because he’s even higher up those rankings but it's unnecessary.

The only player in the top 10 of those defensive advanced stats besides Leo Roze is Simo Jääskeläinen, and it’s obvious he’s having a great defensive year looking at the stats. Besides Relative Corsi For% though, Simo is below Roze in every stat. He also doesn’t crack near the top of the blocks list, only having 35.
The only player in the top 10 of blocks who makes an advanced stats top 10 is Buster Knutt, who ranks 8th in Goals Against/60.

I’m not trying to say these players aren’t having great years, they clearly are looking at the stats. Being top 10 in anything is amazing…
But Leo is top 10 in almost every single stat that can be used to measure defensive skill. One area lacking in Roze’s stats this season are his takeaways, only having 17 to his name so far. It’s 5th best for QCC and is a bit of an outlier with how great defensively he’s been. I don’t think it’s that huge of a detriment however considering QCC almost always has the puck, and even if Roze isn’t directly getting takeaways, he is heavily contributing to shutting down offenses.

Now, am I saying just end the voting now and give Roze defensive POTY, no of course not. There’s a whole nother half of a season where he can crash and burn(and likely will now that i’ve made this media post). I just think it’s an interesting trend I noticed looking at Roze’s stats so far this season. Hopefully I can continue to put up blue line dominance, and push for some awards (maybe a cup?).

Give more love to your defensive defenseman though, we really only ever get one chance at an award.

[Image: Rn4Vt1E.png]

Quick aside
Relative Corsi For% amongst Defensemen

Relative corsi is only against your teammates so comparing across the league doesn’t really matter. It’s just performance against teammates

Best of luck in the awards though! Strong case

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

ez dpoty

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Your the only reason my numbers look good.

[Image: fFccrkD.png]

*takes notes for Awards team*

[Image: h1VQUxn.png]

I fully and biasedly endorse this campaign