Create Account

Week 3 Awards Race

We are down to our last week of the season! Amazing run, so far by everyone. So far this year has had a ton of surprises and last week, the 3rd quarter, was no different. Let’s take a look at how the award race has shaken out so far.

Challenge Cup:

1. Edmonton Blizzard:
1st Week: 1st
2nd Week: 1st
3rd Week: 1st
Edmonton’s dominance over the SHL continues and for the third week in a row they are the heavy favorites to win it all. Their impressive 42 – 6 – 1 record could become something of legend in the league as they look to push to the playoffs. It is no longer a question of if someone can take first place from them, but how good of a record can Edmonton finish the season with.

2. Buffalo Stampede
1st Week: Not Ranked
2nd Week: 3rd
3rd Week: 2nd
If we are focusing on stats alone, Buffalo has managed to climb each and every week, which is impressive. Second in the standings with an impressive 38 – 10 – 3 record they have dominated the East and the rest of the SHL with a great strategy. They might not be the most complete team in the league, but they know how to get the most out of every player on their roster.

3. Philadelphia Forge
1st Week: Not Ranked
2nd Week: Not Ranked
3rd Week: 3rd
This may have been a case of when and not if when rising to the list. The Forge are arguably the most complete roster in the East and should be challenging for a championship this year. They sit forth in the standings, but have a game in hand being down, by one point they could easily catch 3rd place. Getting to the playoffs is a guarantee, coming in on a high is an advantage.

In the mix:

Atlanta Infernos – Still looking strong, one of the most complete teams in the East.
Baltimore Platoon – A top team in the East, should be good for a run.
Texas Renegades – First week outside of the top 3, could make it back in with their big trade.
New England Wolfpack – Has maintained their position as in the mix all season for a reason.

Ron Mexico Trophy (MVP voted by the committee):

1. Konstantin Selich
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – 2nd
3rd Week – 1st
As we head into the final week of the season Konstantin has separated himself from the crowd and taken a 10 point lead (108) on the rest of the league. I would like to say he is a lock at this point to win this award but there has been so much movement all season long it is anyone’s guess on who will take it in the final push.

2. Jarrod Lakemore
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – Not Ranked
3rd Week – 2nd
Is it the chicken or the egg when we talk about Jarrod Lakemore taking the second spot. He now leads the league in goals (52) and sits second in points (98). Is he the reason for Konstantin’s success or is Konstantin the lynch pin to his? In the end that could be up to the awards committee to decide based on next week’s results. For now, he gets the nod for second on an amazing season so far.

3. Shoyo Hinta
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – Not Ranked
3rd Week – 3rd
Shoyo has been buzzing around the top 3 all season long. Now they are finally cracking it. Second in goals (51) and 4th in points (94), gives her a leg up on a lot of the competition. This race has been very close all season, I can’t wait to see if Shoyo can continue to rise. They are a very big reason for the Inferno’s success this season and that should be reflected on their bid for a Ron Mexico Trophy.

In The Mix:
San-Sam Emerson – The talented defender leads all defenders in points (60) and second in goals (19)
Adam Prpich – 5th in goals (42), 3rd in points (97). Could make a jump with a good final week.
Justin Time – Leads the league in wins (35), 1st among starters in GAA (2.47), 1st among starters in save percentage (.915%)

John McBride Award (top goalie):

1. Justin Time
1st Week – 1st
2nd Week – 1st
3rd Week – 1st
Is there any stopping Justin Time from winning this award at this point? He has the league’s best record, 35 – 2 – 1. Just 3 losses on the season so far, 3! That is incredible. Encase you missed it earlier, he owns the best stats in almost every category among starters GAA: 2.47, Save Percentage: .915%, Saves above average 23.58. While tied for second in shutouts with 3. One final push and the trophy is his.

2. Casey Fantobens
1st Week – 2nd
2nd Week – 2nd
3rd week – 2nd
There is a very close race for who should be nominated between second to 4th. I am giving the ever so slight nod to Casey Fantobens because of a slightly better record (30 – 10 – 3) and slightly better overall stats. Second among starters, in a tie, for save percentage (.910) and shutouts (3). Case also boasts an impressive GAA (3.25) good enough for top 10 among all goalies.

3. Anthony Dionne
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – 3rd
3rd Week – 3rd (Tied)
Anthony has put up some amazing stats all season and been in the mix all season. Tied for 4th in wins (27), 3rd among starters for GAA (3.04), tied for second for shutouts (3). He has played a slight notch below Casey Fantobens but extremely well all season long.

3. Ally Mathieson
1st Week – 3rd
2nd Week – Not Ranked
3rd Week – 3rd (Tied)
We are talking about it being this close (imagine my index and my thumb very close but not quite touching). Ally has been a wonderkid of a rookie for the Inferno. Tied for 4th for wins (27), 2nd among starters for GAA (2.91) and 2nd for save percentage among starters (2.99). This race is tight for second best goalie of the season.

In the Mix:
Base Pack – 5 shutouts! So close to reaching the top 3 for the veteran.
Tibuk Soonika – 3rd in wins this season. Definitely in the mix for this award.

Scott Stevens Trophy (Best Defender):

1. San-Sam Emerson
1st Week – 1st
2nd Week – 2nd
3rd Week – 1st
Welcome back to the top of the awards race for the Stevens Trophy. San-Sam now leads defenders in points (60) this is the largest lead we have seen all season 5 points ahead of his closest competition. 2nd in goals (19) just one behind the leader. Only one week to go, but there is a lot of stiff competition for this award.

2. Louise St.Martin
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – Not Ranked
3rd Week – 2nd
It would be unfair to say this came out of nowhere. Louise has been in the top 10 in many categories all season. This last week St.Martin jumped in the points standings out of nowhere to get tie for 4th (51). How does a tie for 4th earn second best defender? Goals, first in goals (20) has launched Louise into second. It was a tough choice but a top 5 +/- and top 10 hits have added to this decision.

3. Tommi Koivu
1st Week – 2nd
2nd Week – 1st
3rd Week – 3rd
The man that has been pushing San-Sam all season continues to be featured in the top 3 for this award. There are many individuals I could have chosen but Tommi still seems to be a cut above the rest. 3rd in goals (17) and second in points (55) means Koivu is still within shooting distance of winning this award.

In the Mix:
John Brown – This has been an impressive season for the Veteran 40 assists and 53 points.
Emil Egil – Has done amazing well second in +/- and top 3 in points.

Bojo Biscuit (Best Defensive Defender):

1. Hodor
1st Week – 1st
2nd Week – 1st
3rd Week – 1st
At this moment I believe it is Hodor’s award to lose. He leads the league in blocked shots (252) nearly 5 per game! An impressive +/- (35) for a guy who is forced tough situations a lot and keeping opponents in check. Good take aways (33) to give aways (12). He is a defensive machine.

2. Lester Oiduser
1st Week - Not Ranked
2nd Week – Not Ranked
3rd Week – 2nd
Maybe I am finally giving Lester his due, or perhaps it is more about he is showing better overall defensive stats as Texas has given up a bit more defensively and given him a chance to shine. We are starting to see more blocked shots (232, second in the league) and penalty kill time from Lester (2:30 average TOI). It is his 44 take aways to 17 give aways that stand out as impressive.

3. Seamus O’Slapahan
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – 3rd
3rd Week – 3rd
Tough call for the third spot this week. I am giving the slight edge to Seamus. He continues to be a force on the back end for the New England Wolfpack with a 3:27 Average TOI while being shorthanded. Seamus has been keeping opponents in check all season long. 54 hits, 179 blocked shots, and 46 take aways are just some of the reasons he is in this position.

In the Mix:
Wendolene Ramsbottom – Clearly you are a top defensive player, but the -31 takes you out of top 3.
Filip Lund – In the mix, great overall defensive numbers, tough cut here.
Toasty – Fallen over the last week, could still make up ground in the last week of the season.

Ryan Jesster Award (Top Rookie):

1. Aumy Junior II
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – Not Ranked
3rd Week – 1st
And than out of nowhere comes Aumy Junior to take the rookie scoring lead, well tied (53 points); while playing one less game with their co-leader. Most goals among rookies (29). All while playing limited special teams’ minutes. The only knock to Aumy’s rookie season is their +/- rating (-23) not everything can be blamed on the rookie for that low rating, but it may drag them down in the actual awards.

2. Inactive Forever
1st Week 1st
2nd Week 2nd
3rd Week 2nd
I feel like this one was a coin flip. I was leaning towards Inactive for 1st, with the better +/- rating and the tie for rookie points lead (53); all while playing fewer minutes than any other rookie forward in the scoring race. It was a tough call but in the end I felt like it was the right call. The Award is far from decided but the rookie scoring race is just heating up!

3. Ally Mathieson
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – Not Ranked
3rd Week – 3rd
This one is on me for not catching Ally sooner. Thank you to a faithful reader for letting me know of my mistake. Ally has been playing lights out hockey all season! I am not sure where to put Mathieson in the rookie race, playing a position that has their own stats is comparing apples to oranges. But Ally should be in the conversation if they are not already.

In the Mix:
Dominik Winters – This could go to anyone of the Pride’s cubs, we are giving Winters the nod as they have the most goals.
Sim Wen – Wen slowed down this past week. Still very much in the rookie conversation with 27 points as a defender.

Jeff Dar (Best Two Way Forward):

1. Ekaterina Valieva
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – 1st
3rd Week – 1st
Ekaterina takes the week again, but it is getting closer. Among forwards she has an impressive 54 blocked shots (1 per game), 58 take aways, and played a heavy average ice time of 2:46 on the Penalty Kill. Obviously Valieva is a defensive forward; but she is also relied upon for her offensive prowess. At 59 points this season, Baltimore can count on her to play in all three zones better than almost anyone.

2. Ivan Lacksamus
1st Week – 2nd
2nd Week – 3rd
3rd Week – 2nd
This is where it got tough, to be truthful this award in general is tough. I debated for a while but settled on Ivan. While some of his defensive stats were a little lower, it is the fact his team leans on him in every situation in a game. He plays a ton of power play minutes, but also a ton of penalty kill minutes. When I think of two ways, I think a jack of all trades. He does it all.

3. Alex Kirby
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – Not Ranked
3rd Week – 3rd
There is a lot to like about Alex’s game. Does he fall a little shy in some areas defensively compared to others on this list. Maybe. What he excels in, his take aways to give aways, 59 take aways he is always working opposing players to get that puck, verse rarely losing it with only 29 give aways! Throw in 66 points so far and he is an amazing two way forward.

In the Mix:
Graj Virrok – This killed me for the third week in a row. Last week to get there!
Evan Winter – Looked really good with his 48 take aways to 48 give aways. Almost made the cut.
Outdoor Truck – May have slid but is very much in the conversation for this award.

Aidan Richan Trophy (Most Improved):

1. Johnny Wagner-Svenson
1st Week – 2nd
2nd Week – 2nd
3rd Week – 1st
Heeeeeeeeeere’s JOHNNY! It took him 3 weeks, but he seems to have finally made it to number one. 48 goals are 12 above his previous best, 81 points, 15 more than last season. +/- has skyrocketed by positive 40 (+8)! Everything Johnny is doing is trending up by A LOT! He should finish the season well over 100 points and be in the running for this award.

2. Jarrod Lakemore
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – Not Ranked
3rd Week – 2nd
Maybe I should have put Lakemore in first, this is a tough call. Through 51 games, 52 goals, 98 points, +51! Previous best through 66 games, 20 goals, 74 points, +16. Those are some very impressive jumps. I am not envious of the actual awards committee as they put together whom will be taking this award.

3. Jolngustraaduvich Dubolk
1st Week – Not Ranked
2nd Week – Not Ranked
3rd Week – Not Ranked
There were A LOT of ways we could have gone for the 3rd vote. This award will not be settled until the final week. I gave the nod to Dubolk, 13 goals, 34 assists, 47 points, +17, all while playing nearly the exact minutes form the last few seasons have all been huge jumps for this defender.

In the Mix:

Billy Herrington – A name we have seen a few times now, still well within the range to win it.
Pork Tenderloin – A slow week has seen him fall a little, could make it up in the final push.
Tibuk Sookika – The goalie has had a significant jump in all statistical categories should be in the conversation this year.

ONE WEEK TO GO! Good luck everyone, next week we are going to shake things up a little and name the top 3, and one player on each team who deserves a nomination for each award. Merry Christmas to all, Happy Hanukkah, all the best during Kwanzaa, a sacred Omisoka, see you guys in a week!

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

I went from -10 to -4 this week btw

[Image: photostudio-1710898490476.jpg]

I, JOHN BROWN, DO HUMBLY DECLARE MY INTENT TO WIN THE DEFENSEMAN OF THE SEASON AWARD

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa