Create Account

The Players' Tribune: Unspoken Legacy
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2024, 06:00 PM by vic03. Edited 1 time in total.)

Quebec City has given me everything. I was taken at 61st, an afterthought for many teams at that point. You’re not expected to make a huge splash when you’re taken 61st, but Quebec City put the expectations of a first rounder on me, on all of our class, we weren’t expected to be worse because we were taken later in the draft, we were expected the same as those taken ahead of us. That mindset was what dragged us, a rookie filled team that could’ve missed the playoffs into the 7th seed. The entire team of course is the reason for this, and even if one player was different who knows what would’ve happened. I say that but most know what comes next, I have a small group I want to give a special thank you to. When I came over from Latvia I didn’t know exactly what I would do. It’s hard to find a start when you come from another country, however, I found a new family. 

The first when I came over was my Latvian linemate Juan Tymer. He helped greatly with translating and helping me understand what was going on half the time. He was sort of my guide to this new world, which is even more impressive when he was also coming over at the same time. Without him, I don’t know how well I mesh into this locker room, but all that matters was that he was there, and he helped me. The twins are the soul of the team, Sonja and Froya are two of the most likable people I have ever met, and they made the locker room so much better to be in. Those two were the main driving force in the rookies all stepping up and playing their best hockey. Abdi Smokes is an underrated monster, forgotten is the wrong word but I can’t find one to describe how Abdi is overlooked. Their drive to be the best they can is admirable, and even if others don’t see how great Abdi is, we do. Obviously can’t forget the one with the greatest rookie season of time, Celeste. Celly is another animal when it comes to the actual game of hockey, and like Abdi, has that drive to be the best that not many can match. The six of us became a family of sorts, and I think it’s fair to say we all make eachother better than we would be without the others. It’s one of those things that is hard to describe but those who have these connections know exactly what I am talking about. We work for each other and are there for each other. I know an expansion draft is coming up and I do not know what will happen as of writing this, but I pray we all stick together for our final season, and if we do split up, the family we created will live on. It will be strange the first time I take the ice against one of them. 

Looking at myself, there’s many things I wonder about to this day. My role on the team, and what is my legacy after I am out of Quebec City. If you asked me when I was a child who I looked up to, who I modeled my game after I could give you a clear answer. Mikko Rashford and Rand al’Thor were the two most dominant defensemen I had ever seen touch the ice. They weren’t too much older than me and I could see myself filling their shoes when I was older. Watching from my home in Latvia I became huge fans of those two and the entire Newfoundland team, the multitude of cups they won was even more fuel to my desire to model my game after them. As I grew older however my skill set didn’t develop in that way, I found myself more and more on the defensive end of the game. If you ask me now who I model my game after, I can’t give you a clear answer. I don’t have a hero I look up to anymore. That fact is both freeing and harrowing to think about. It’s great to have that self-inflicted weight off my shoulder. I’m not trying to fill shoes that I don’t fit into anymore, but if I can’t think of anyone who plays like I do, will I suffer the same fate as those who came before me? Will I just fade into the history books as another name who played in the SHL? Maybe I just don’t have the knowledge others have, maybe they can name star defensive defensemen, but even that phrase “star defensive defenseman” doesn’t seem right. You’re not a star, you don’t steal the show, your whole job is to stop the show. So many have come before me and redefined the way the game is played, but even with their redefinitions they most likely don’t crack many “best players lists”. I guess that’s the difference between your fame and your legacy. Your fame is how they remember you, your name being spoken years after you’re done. Many chase fame, but your legacy is equally, if not more, important than your fame. Your legacy is how the world remembers you and how you shape others around you. I don’t seek fame at this point, I know my name likely won’t be in any banners and I'm okay with that. I’m not fighting for my fame anymore, I’m fighting for my legacy. Even if it’s small, it's still a legacy. And If I do nothing else of impact I know I already have one, the five others I see as my new family are legacy enough for me to be happy with my career. 
To those who think what they do won’t matter I have one final thing to say. No matter how big, how small, whatever your legacy turns out to be, it’s still there. You changed the world, and you changed those around you. What you did mattered and even when the fame is gone, and your name is spoken for the last time, the legacy you created still helps shape the world. 

Thank you, 
Leo Roze

[Image: ROZESIG.png?ex=6622170a&is=660fa20a&hm=2...height=655]

Legacy of being the greatest 61st overall pick of all time. Leo is a #1 in our hearts

Teared up a little. It'll be our names in the books.

[Image: Fm35hEW.png]