Create Account

[2x Media] Cameron Kalashnikov Interview

(This is not specifically about any one of the three double media topics running right now, but we do talk about all of them, which I was told was fine)

[Image: FGyLy6U.png]
by Ellie Olliver

FORT WORTH, TX --- It’s a characteristically warm day in Texas when I make my way to the Kalashnikov Ranch outside of Fort Worth. The driveway is long, and by the time I exit the car and make my way up to the front porch, the last few minutes before our agreed-upon meeting time have slipped away. It’s mid-afternoon, just around the heat of the day, but there’s a light breeze, so the sun doesn’t seem quite so oppressive. All the same, I welcome the cool blast of air conditioning from the door as Cameron opens it.

Cameron Kalashnikov, Nevada’s goaltender-turned-center, is a little more laid-back here on his home turf than he generally is at media appearances during the season. Normally, he’s a model professional, answering questions politely and succinctly, but here it’s clear he’s much more comfortable. He gives me a brief tour, clutching his phone in one hand and what looks like a vape pen in the other as he gestures with nods at rooms, showing me the important locations (kitchen, bathroom, and on to the living room, where we eventually take a seat).

We chat for a few minutes, the usual small talk about the weather, my flight out, his work on the ranch, before we get into the meat of the interview, the thing I’ve come here for. I ask if he generally goes by Cameron or if he has any other nicknames, and he tells me that either that or Cam are both fine.

“So, Cameron,” I say, after we’ve exchanged polite introductions for the record, “your hometown is officially listed as here in Forth Worth, but you play internationally for Sweden, can I ask what the connection is there? It seems like you’re pretty in your element here.”

He ducks his head in a nod, and twists a finger through his beard.

“After my family got out of Russia, they moved to Sweden. But then before I declared for the [SMJHL] draft, I was here playing for a team out of Forth Worth, and I fell in love with everything this state has to offer.”

The family connection makes a lot more sense - there was some paperwork to be done, but Cameron officially transferred to Sweden prior to this season’s IIHF tournament. He’s playing for the ICE world juniors squad, but the stage is set for him to make his way up to the Swedish team eventually. Given the impact his family has already had on the trajectory of his career, I ask him if he has any relatives who play hockey, or if he’s the only one. He pulls a face, not much of one, just a little wistfulness.

“I’m the only one who plays currently. My grandfather played in the Russian pro leagues, though, and I guess I caught the bug as well. I’ve kind of modeled my play after him, too.”

That leads into another question that seems inevitable anyway, so I go ahead and ask.

“You started your SMJHL career as a goalie, and then switched to center this past season, right?”

He nods in confirmation, twisting his beard again, which I’m coming to realize is just something he does when he’s thinking.

“Yeah, in my younger days I started out playing some center and even some defense, but I had a knack for goalie and was pushed into that by the coaches on some of my youth teams, because good goalies were pretty rare in that league.”

“So has this felt like more of a transition or kind of a homecoming for you? How’s your time outside the net been?”

He grins again.

“I have more fun at center. This season outside the crease has been super fun, and the coaches in Nevada have been really helpful with that transition. I’m a good goal tender, but I really enjoy center.”

Cameron is going into his third season in the SMJHL, meaning he has this season and one more with Nevada if he follows the presumed call-up timeline (though it’s always possible his SHL team, Baltimore, has need of him earlier). But two seasons, at two very different positions, has to have been quite the learning experience, so I ask him if he’s learned anything that surprised him over those two years, or didn’t surprise him at all.

“Nothing really surprised me,” he says, which is entirely fair - I imagine that if you undergo a complete position change, that has to be your primary focus when it comes to changes.

Cameron’s linemates this season, depending on what his coaches see from the team during training camp, are likely to be Chopper Donquixote and Lucas Raymond (who played the entirety of last season on defense). His former winger, Jim Wieners, is likely moving up to the first line to replace the newly-graduated Cal Juice. I ask Cameron if there’s anyone in particular in Nevada he’s excited to get back on the ice with.

“I’m excited to keep playing with Wiz [Wizard Literal].” It’s worth nothing that with Cameron and Wizard Literal both playing center, they’re not likely to see even strength ice time together, so this speaks to Cameron’s ambitions as well - there will definitely be some special teams room to fill with the departure of Juice and the as-of-yet unannounced loss of one or two players to the recently announced expansion teams.

I wonder how he feels about the limited time he has left in Nevada, and what his hopes are for his career in Baltimore once his SMJHL term has concluded.

“What about in Baltimore, anyone you’re looking forward to playing with eventually, roster moves notwithstanding?”

“Oh yeah, you know, rosters can change, but I’m excited to work with Johnny [Hamilton].”

It’s always good to hear players forming those connections to their SHL GMs even while they’re still playing in juniors, and I tell him as much. As important as the work is that’s done in the SMJHL, the ultimate goal is to see those players into the SHL and prepare them to be as successful as they possibly can be.

“But one thing,” Cameron adds, “”I love the Nevada locker room. They are a great, great bunch.”

It’s unprompted praise, which always seems the most genuine, and the fondness on his face isn’t hard to read. It’s clear, as I’m wrapping things up and preparing to leave Cameron to enjoy the rest of his afternoon, that he’s prepared to make the most of the remainder of his time on the Battleborn roster, whether that’s this season or another after it.

I thank Cameron for his hospitality, and after I’ve collected my things, he shows me to the door. As I drive off into the late afternoon, gravel popping beneath my tires, I take one last glance in the mirror and see Cameron lifting a hand in a farewell. It’s clear from the quiet confidence with which he carries himself that this is a young man who’s hit his stride, and I’m excited to see how he and the Battleborn do this coming season.

The team is young - very young; Cal Juice is the only player they’re losing to call-ups, and even he is being called up as a third-season player. With the massive influx of players in S75, more than half of Nevada’s roster consists of players who’ve just been through their SHL draft, which means that Cameron and his few fellow upperclassmen are likely to be relied on for their experience and leadership. Having just spent the afternoon with him, I have to say that I have no doubt Cameron will step into those shoes just fine. 

------

1267 words, please split between me and @Cameron269

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .