Create Account

[2x Media] Smirnov Light III Opines on SMJHL Franchises

Smrinov Light III Opines on SMJHL Franchises

[Image: 9e863e6c7209bb809ed34eba2291e1b4.jpg?w=535]

Smirnov Light is a strong two-way center coming from a well-established agency that has consistently produced strong SMJHL players. The main issue in the past for the agency was how their players would transition to the SHL. While the agency is focused on ensuring that their player is capable of becoming a SHL superstar, they understand that the first task at hand is to create a legitimate SMJHL player who shows flashes of a capable SHL player.

Smirnov Light III was spoken to following his SMJHL pre-draft showcase put on by his agency and was asked to opine on the SMJHL franchises. The agency has not been around much in recent years and the SMJHL has changed a good amount since their last time in the SHL system. Smirnov, wanting to put on a show, decided that he would work through all the teams and would opine on their branding, management team and what the agency had portrayed to him.

Anchorage Armada

[Image: Anchorage-min-2.png]

Took a little bit of digging, but I was the GM of this franchise back in S16. How could you ever change it from the Prince George Firebirds? That was an electric name. I will give it to them, the branding is great and they have a good history even thought it hasn't been updated on the forum in a while. They look like a team that has some strong pieces and could use more depth. I would be happy to step into that second line center role and help out their elite players.

Carolina Kraken

[Image: Carolina-min.png]

The colors are great and really reminds me of my Philadelphia Flyers, which is always a plus given my render is Sean Couturier. Additionally with a General Manager like Sve7en, I know that I will be in good hands. The team seems stronger than the Armada meaning I likely will have less playing time, but I am fine with growing into my role. Winning is always a plus and can help activity. My one concern would be that as a Center who has invested a good portion of their TPE in face-offs I may not be the most optimized to help them out. The last championship they won was in S54 which certainly seems like a challenge that I would like to try to break with them. They also have a ton of picks, which means that it could be a likely landing spot.

Colorado Raptors

[Image: Colorado-min.png]

Who would not want to be a front runner? Colorado just won the championship and looks to still have a good portion of very strong players leftover. They are slightly deep in the Center position so I am unsure if I am a great fit. They have a management team that I know that I can trust, not only because of their championship. Takk is a great user and someone who I know will be able to have this franchise make multiple runs over my SMJHL career.

Detroit Falcons

[Image: Detroit-min.png]

This is an organization that will forever have a special place in my heart. When I was first recruited to the SHL, I was drafted by the Detroit Falcons 34th overall in the SMJHL draft. Spending time with Dion and Astorino along with the whole squad was truly one of the pinnacles of my SHL experience. I would love nothing more than to return to the Detroit Falcons. Looking at their team, they have a ton of elite talent who are at the 425 TPE cap, something that is extremely advantageous at the SMJHL level. It also looks like they could use a 2nd line Center. This destination would be a dream landing spot for Smirnov Light III.

Great Falls Grizzlies

[Image: GreatFalls-min.png]

Who the fuck are these guys? We moved a team out of Prince George and now we have a team in Great Falls? In all seriousness, however, the branding is pretty cool and somewhat unique given the color schemes of the various SMHJL franchises. I trust the management team, I know that SpartanGibbles is capable of putting together strong teams and is a name that I am comfortable with.  The team has a fair amount of users on it with room to grow. It seems like an organization that is capable of being much stronger come the playoffs than the regular season. I would certainly be interested in a franchise like the Grizzlies.

Kelowna Knights

[Image: Kelowna-min.png]

Oh man, another franchise that is uniquely close to my heart would be the Kelowna Knights. It is sad to see that their last cup was in S59, but I would love to help them break that. I won a cup as a Co-GM with Fever way back for the Kelowna Knights and have a deep affinity for the team. The branding and color scheme is elite, a strong green and gold that screams that the organization should be viewed as elite. Additionally, Artermis is a name that I am familiar with and would be extremely comfortable as my General Manager. Similar to the Grizzlies, the Knights have a good amount of players who have room to grow and I believe that I would be uniquely positioned to be happy to be a part of an organization that may not be amongst the elite in the regular season but truly compete come the postseason. My one concern would be the amount of Centers they have as they have three strong Centers in my opinion. That is a problem that can always be sorted out and optimized via secondary positions.

Maine Timber

[Image: Maine-min.png]

Wow, they are stacked! Of course, ToeJam is a part of a strong SMJHL franchise. They seem like they have a lot of positions already filled meaning it will be hard for me to find playing time right away. I think as a long-term play I could be a piece that could help them bridge multiple years of competing. I am also a big fan of the branding (makes sense, I love green). While I see Maine as an unlikely destination, they would certainly be an intriguing one at the 13 spot given they are one of the better franchises in recent history.

Nevada Battalion

[Image: Nevada-min.png]

The Nevada Battalion are intriguing in my initial deep dive. The team essentially has two SMJHL teams in one compared to other franchises. There are some familiar names (i.e. Langabeer, sad that Bayley took you). I do not see myself as a fit here due to how many players they have and how many strong Centers they have. I will say that I love the branding. The colors look great and also who could complain about Nevada? Can get some gambling in and enjoy yourself!

Newfoundland Berserkers

[Image: Newfoundland-min.png]

What is this branding? This seems extremely unique, I have never seen a franchise branded as the Berserkers. The color scheme is interesting and reminds me of the last Thor movie. I, like other franchises, see this franchise as one that may not be the best fit for a multitude of reasons. They are already extremely deep at many positions and especially the Center position. I will say, it is always interesting to go to a franchise with a great history, which Newfoundland possesses. They were elite in the S60s and I would love to be a part of a team that would try to emulate the dominance that they had beforehand.

Ottawa Highlanders
[Image: Ottawa-Banner.png]

An expansion franchise!?! Certainly an interesting place to land. I would assume that I would be able to get a proper amount of playing time on an expansion team. It would also be cool to be a part of the initial history of the franchise. As an old user, it can bring back the piece that I reminisce on, which was the early portions of organizations and also history of the league. Additionally, Frenchie is the General Manager so I can almost guarantee that the franchise will be a strong one. The branding is elite with a very nice turquoise color and I always had some sort of affinity with the city of Ottawa. I would be slightly concerned that this is not a likely landing spot as they have the 1st pick and then do not pick again until the 36th pick. Maybe if Frenchie takes advantage of other franchises looking to trade up, then the Ottawa Highlanders could be a destination for myself.

Quebec City Citadels
[Image: QuebecCity-min.png]
Oh man, the team I signed with as a post-deadline create (but do not think I got the money for signing). Kind of insane that they only won titles in S58 and S69 as to me they are an extremely strong organization that were capable of making multiple strong runs and it felt like as I was in their locker room that this was a team that has had a stronghold over the SMJHL. As a whole, this is a very well-run organization with a strong locker room and has plenty of amazing people. I do not see this as a landing spot due to their lack of high-end picks, but it is definitely an organization that I had enjoyed being a part of.

Regina Elk

[Image: Regina-min.png]

We have a team named the Elk? And we got rid of the Firebirds?? The team seems really deep in the center position and one where I would be unlikely to fall to as their highest pick is the 28th pick as of this moment. While I hesitate to write any teams off, a team named after the Elk with very few picks and plenty of good Centers seems like a team that will not land Smirnov.

San Diego Tidal

[Image: tidal-banner.png]

Another expansion team and for the same reasons that were mentioned above for Ottawa, I would be interested in San Diego. As an expansion team I can count on playing time and potentially being a part of something much bigger. SDCore is a long-time user who I know that I can trust and will be able to put Smirnov in a position to succeed. I am unaware of anything unique to rank the Tidal or the Highlanders higher than one another, so the two as landing spots are nearly equal for myself. With San Diego having the 4th pick it could be a landing spot, however I view it as a long shot.

St. Louis Scarecrows

[Image: StLouis-min.png]

Finally a franchise that I recognize that is not either an expansion team or rebranded. The Scarecrows were around during one of my peak activity moments and a franchise that I would be interested in mainly due to my familiarity basis. I do not know either of the General Managers, but given the recent title in S72 I can assume that the franchise is in good standing. The team seems to have plenty of depth as well so I know that the team can compete. They are fairly young, so there are fewer players capped at 425TPE, but I know that in the future there will be plenty of good players at that 425TPE cap. They are fairly stacked at the Center position with young and elite Centers, which would make it difficult for me to break in. Additionally, their first pick is the 23rd overall pick. It may be difficult for me to land here, but it certainly would be an organization of interest.

Vancouver Whalers

[Image: Vancouver2.png]

Another organization that I am familiar with! The Whalers were a rival of mine for nearly all of my SMJHL careers (starting with their extremely stacked S9 team that they got via people creating after the NWJHL draft...), so it would be difficult for me to align myself with the team if I were draft. Given it has been a while, the rivalry feeling could likely fade and I have always been interested in joining historic franchises. Their last win was in S61, which means that this would be an opportunity to potentially bring a historic franchise the first championship that they would have had in a while. The team already has three strong Centers, but similar to other teams I understand that secondary positions could create openings in the top six. With the 6th overall pick, the Whalers could be a potential landing spot either at that pick or if they move back.

Yukon Malamutes

[Image: Malamutes-Banner.png]

Finally, I felt like there would not be an end for all the SMJHL teams. Founded in S65, the Yukon Malamutes are a team that have not won a SMJHL championship yet. They look like they have some elite SMJHL talent and are a few depth players away from being a fully balanced junior team that could compete for a cup. With plenty of users that I recognize (Leafsftw, Jexter) I feel like this is an organization that I could be comfortable in. Additionally, I am a fan of their branding. The red and blue seem to compliment each other perfectly and has the potential for me to have some cool graphics created for my player. With Yukon having the 11th pick, I view them as an organization in the range of taking Smirnov and thus an interesting destination.

That wraps up my views on each organization ahead of the draft, with the thoughts of if I believe they could draft me, how their current organization looks, as well as branding. With the SMJHL draft less than a week away, I am extremely excited for the conversations that are yet to be had with the various General Managers and look forward to understanding what each organization is about. Additionally, this article is not meant to write-off any organization. I would be extremely excited to join any of these teams and look forward to a great SMJHL experience after quite the hiatus. I am hoping that this article can put me on the radar of various SMJHL teams and hope the conversations begin to occur shortly after!

Code:
2,312 words

[Image: MaU5eKD.png]
[Image: kECK2tc.png]

We're glad you enjoyed coming in as a UDFA for our playoff run! Any team would be lucky to have you

[Image: fFccrkD.png]

03-26-2024, 08:51 PMThePyroAlpaca Wrote: We're glad you enjoyed coming in as a UDFA for our playoff run! Any team would be lucky to have you
Thank you! Who knows what's next Smile

[Image: MaU5eKD.png]
[Image: kECK2tc.png]