Create Account

The Last Descendant (A Novella) - Act Two
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2024, 08:23 PM by Tate. Edited 2 times in total.)

Link to ACT ONE

Act Two
Chapter 6 - The Time of Troubles

1598 AD

The grand halls of the Russian court buzz with activity as nobles and dignitaries from across the land gather to pay homage to their sovereign, Feodor, the latest in the long line of rulers descended from the legendary Rurik. However, unlike the usual lively atmosphere, a sadness hangs in the air, for Feodor's health is failing. Feodor, a man with a mane of dark hair streaked with gray, sits upon his throne, his once-piercing blue eyes now dulled with the weight of sickness. Beside him stands his wife, Princess Yelena, her graceful stature a comforting presence to her ailing husband. She whispers words of encouragement, her voice like a soothing melody, “You should go to bed my love,” she speaks softly, concern etched on her features as she leans closer to her husband and king.

Feodor offers a weak smile, his voice hoarse, "It is nothing, my dear. Just the years catching up with me."

Feodor’s son, Ivan, quietly observes his father before he speaks with worry, "Perhaps you should rest, Father. The affairs of the court can wait."

Feodor shakes his head, "No, there is too much to be done."

As the courtiers mingle and converse, Feodor's heirs, Ivan, and Natalia, move among them, their youthful energy and enthusiasm a stark contrast to their father's condition. Ivan, engaged in lively debate with the nobles, and beside him, Natalia, a vision of grace with her flowing gown and auburn locks, captivates the courtiers with her wit and charm. Before long they find themselves away from the crowd and huddled in the outside hallway, "Our enemies grow bolder by the day," Ivan murmurs to Natalia, "We must tread carefully, sister. Our father's health worsens, and they sense our weakness."

Natalia nods, her gaze darting to where hidden ears might linger. "I fear the court is rife with whispers. Now is the time to pray to the Allfather."

Ivan’s brow furrows, “Odin? I didn’t think you believed in that nonsense.”

Natalia is taken aback, and confused by her brother’s disdain for their family’s secret religion, “But the stories our father told us…”

“Are nothing more than that,” Ivan tells her reassuringly, “Stories.” He leads her away from the hall and back towards the grand hall, “We need to believe in each other if we’re going to have any success in keeping this palace to ourselves once our father is gone.”

--

In the wake of Feodor's death, a new player emerges onto the stage of Russian politics - Mikhail Romanov. Tall and imposing, with a smile that masks his true intentions, Mikhail presents himself as a staunch supporter of Feodor's heirs, particularly forging a close bond with Ivan, the elder of the two. Ivan is ripe for exploitation by those with ambition and Mikhail Romanov has a vision for the future of Kiev Rus, and knows he needs Feodor's heirs gone and buried to enact it. With the Rurik dynasty weakened, Mikhail sees this as his opportunity to seize power and reshape Russia into his own image.

From the moment they meet, there is an air of camaraderie between Ivan and Mikhail. They share stories of their childhoods, exchange ideas on governance, and even discuss matters of faith. Ivan finds himself drawn to Mikhail's confidence and charisma, while Mikhail, in turn, plays the role of a trusted confidant, offering counsel and support to the young prince. "Ivan, my friend," Mikhail says one evening as they walk through the palace gardens, "Do you ever wonder about the old gods, the ones our ancestors worshipped?"

Ivan pauses, considering the question. "Sometimes," he admits. "There is a certain power to their legends, a connection to our past that cannot be denied. But all my life I’ve believed it to be nothing but stories."

Mikhail returns a thoughtful expression. "Indeed, the gods of old may have faded from memory, but their influence still lingers in the hearts of our people. Perhaps it is time we honor their legacy once more."

The notion strikes a chord with Ivan, stirring something deep within him, and reminding him of his conversation with his sister. "Yyou are right. Maybe it is time we embrace the traditions of our ancestors, as my father did before us."

Unbeknownst to Ivan, Mikhail's words are carefully chosen, designed to manipulate his friend's emotions and further his own agenda. For Mikhail has no intention of honoring the gods of old. Instead, he sees an opportunity to exploit Ivan's trust and seize power for himself, thereby bringing an end to the Rurik dynasty once and for all. As their friendship deepens, Mikhail begins to sow the seeds of doubt in Ivan's mind, subtly undermining his confidence and planting the idea that perhaps Feodor's heirs are not fit to rule. With each day, Ivan finds himself growing more reliant on Mikhail's counsel, his own judgment clouded by doubt. As Natalia watches from the sidelines, her suspicions about Mikhail's motives begin to grow, and she tries to warn Ivan of the danger posed by his new friend. Her words fall on deaf ears, and her concerns are dismissed as mere paranoia. And so, as Mikhail's influence continues to grow within the court, Ivan finds himself torn between loyalty to his family and duty to his friend. Little does he know that Mikhail's goal is nothing less than the destruction of everything Feodor had fought to build.

Mikhail's manipulations extend far beyond mere words. He employs every tactic at his disposal to gain favor with the courtiers and nobles, positioning himself as the indispensable advisor to the new rulers. With cunning and guile, he undermines the credibility of Feodor's heirs, subtly casting doubt on their abilities to lead. Meanwhile, he showers Ivan with praise and flattery, exploiting his friend's vulnerabilities and insecurities to further his own agenda. As Mikhail's influence grows, so too does his ambition. He orchestrates a series of events designed to weaken the Rurik dynasty further, planting of division among the ruling family. He arranges clandestine meetings with foreign powers, promising them wealth and influence in exchange for their support in his bid for power.

But perhaps Mikhail's most sinister act is yet to come. In the dead of night, he conspires with his loyalists to orchestrate a coup, intending to eliminate Feodor's heirs once and for all. With ruthless efficiency, they infiltrate the palace, their footsteps silent as shadows as they approach their unsuspecting victims. The moon hangs high in the night sky, casting its glow over the grand halls of the palace where Ivan and Natalia, lay sleeping. The air is thick with a palpable sense of unease, and in the dimly lit corridors, shadows lurk, concealing the silent figures of Mikhail Romanov's loyalists as they creep ever closer to their unsuspecting prey. Among them is a ruthless enforcer, his eyes gleaming with malice as he prepares to strike a killing blow.

As they reach the chamber where Ivan and Natalia sleep, the enforcer signals for silence, his hand taking hold of the hilt of his sword with a white-knuckled grip. With a nod from his companions, they burst into the room, and Ivan awakes with his senses reeling as he struggles to make sense of the chaos unfolding around him. In the torchlight, he catches sight of the enforcer’s scarred face, a look of cruel satisfaction etched upon him as he raises his sword for the final blow. "No!" Ivan cries out; his voice filled with desperation before it silenced once and for all.

Across the room, Natalia stirs from her slumber, her eyes widening in horror as she realizes the magnitude of the danger they face. With a cry of anguish, she reaches for her infant son, clutching him tightly to her chest as she prepares to make her escape. But before she can flee, her eyes burn with pain as she is cut down by a blade. "Say goodbye to your precious son," the voice says above her, "For soon, he will join the rest of your bloodline in death."

With a cry of despair, Natalia fights back against her attacker, her maternal instincts driving her to protect her child at all costs. As the struggle rages on, Natalia's grip on her son never wavers, her love for him the only thing keeping her going but try as she might, she cannot hold out forever. As Natalia falls lifeless to the ground, her son lies cradled in her arms, seemingly vulnerable to the impending danger. The enforcer and his companions, advance with intent, and with a cruel smirk, the enforcer reaches out to snatch the infant from Natalia's grasp.

But as his hand inches closer to the child, a gust of wind sweeps through the chamber, swirling around them with an otherworldly force. The torches flicker and dim, and the enforcer hesitates, he senses a presence, something ancient and powerful, stirring in the air. Suddenly, with a blinding flash of light, the infant disappears from Natalia's arms, leaving only a faint echo of his cry lingering in the air. The enforcer staggers back in shock, his companions frozen in disbelief at the inexplicable turn of events. They exchange nervous glances, and with a growl of frustration, the enforcer turns to his companions, his voice urgent. "We leave, now," he commands, "We cannot risk staying any longer." Without another word, they hastily retreat from the chamber, leaving behind the lifeless bodies of Natalia and Ivan.

Outside the palace walls, they rendezvous with Mikhail Romanov, and they deliver their report. "My lord," the enforcer begins, his voice betraying no hint of the supernatural encounter they have just witnessed, "the deed is done. Feodor's heirs have been eliminated, as you commanded."

Mikhail's eyes narrow, his expression unreadable as he absorbs the news. "And the child?" he asks, his voice barely a whisper.

The enforcer hesitates, unsure of how to explain the inexplicable disappearance of the infant. "Gone, my lord," he replies carefully. "Taken by the darkness that haunts the palace. There was nothing we could do."

Mikhail's lips curl into a cold smile, his mind already calculating the implications of this unforeseen twist of fate. "Very well," he says, his voice dripping with satisfaction. "Leave no trace of their passing. We shall mourn their loss and move forward with our plans."

As the enforcer and his companions melt back into the shadows, the night echoes with the silent whispers of a mystical force, its presence lingering like a ghost in the darkness.

--

Mikhail Romanov stands tall upon the dais, his eyes sweeping over the assembled courtiers and nobles, his voice carrying with the weight of conviction. "My loyal subjects," he begins, his words resonating through the grand hall like the tolling of a bell, "today marks the dawn of a new era for Mother Russia. Gone are the days of division. Today, we stand united under one banner, one faith, and one ruler." The courtiers murmur in agreement, their eyes alive with anticipation as they hang on every word spoken by their new king. "We have emerged from the shadows of the past," Mikhail continues, his tone growing with each breath, "Let us cast aside the leadership of old, with its false idols and empty promises. Today, we embrace a new dawn, a dawn of Christ, of righteousness, and of unity."

The courtiers nod in approval, their hearts swelling with pride at the prospect of a brighter future under Mikhail's leadership.

"Let it be known," Mikhail declares, "that the days of strife are behind us. From this moment forward, we march boldly into the future, guided by the righteous hand of God and the unyielding strength of our united Russian people." The court erupts into applause, their cheers bouncing off the walls of the grand hall as they hail their new king with unwavering devotion.

--

On the doorstep of a humble orphanage, an infant boy lay sleeping, oblivious to the events that led him there. Born into obscurity and orphaned by tragedy, he is the last living descendant of the Rurik dynasty, and unbeknownst to him, his fate will one day be intertwined with the destiny of a nation.

As is her duty every morning, a nun unlocks the front door of the orphanage and discovers the small child asleep, “Oh my…” she mutters as she bends down to pick up the child and notices a name etched into his blanket… only it has been torn. What once read as Rurik has now been crudely transformed into Kirik, and so it is that on that day, in that moment – the boy is given a new name.

Chapter 7 – Serf City

June 1860

In the sprawling countryside of Russia, the Kirk family toils under the reign of the Romanovs, their once-proud lineage reduced to that of serfs, bound to the land they work. Dmitry Kirik, now an elder statesman among his people, is a witness to the hardships endured by his family and fellow serfs. His once-strong frame now stoops with age, and with every hour, he feels his years pressing down on him. Dmitry stands on the front porch of his modest home, weathered by time and wear, the wooden planks creaking beneath his weight. The structure is humble, constructed from rough-hewn timber with a thatched roof, its walls adorned with patches to keep out the chill of winter. Despite its simplicity, the home is a sanctuary amidst the vast countryside.

From his vantage point, Dmitry watches his teenage son Ilya toil in the fields, the young man's muscles straining with each movement as he works the land. Ilya’s hands are calloused from years of labor, his brow furrowed with concentration as he plows the earth, preparing it for planting. Behind him, rows of crops stretch into the distance, their green shoots swaying gently in the breeze. From dawn until dusk, Ilya works the fields, tilling the soil, and planting crops. Life for him is arduous and unforgiving, with long hours of backbreaking labor and little respite but despite it all, the Kirik family finds peace in each other.

Dmitry turns from the porch and enters the family abode and finds his wife quickly. His anxiousness captures her attention almost immediately. “He’s going to die out there,” Dmitry tells his wife and the mother of Ilya.

“You never did,” she replies half-heartedly as she stays focused on hemming a torn garment.

"No one should live like this," Dmitry throws his hands up in the air, “Is it not normal to want more for our boy?” He asks her while already knowing the answer.

“We’re happy,” she tells him as she finally looks up from her task, “He will be too.”

“I don’t want this to be, ‘enough,’ for him,” Dmitry says as he looks back toward the doorway he entered through, and out to where Ilya continues to work. "It’s never too late."

She laughs, “To do what?”

Dmitry's eyes gleam with a fire that belies his age. "We may not have the armies or the wealth of the Romanovs, but we might have something far more powerful: the will of the gods."

“You speak of magic,” she is rightfully filled with doubt, “Look at what happened to the last believer of the gods, wasn’t he killed in his sleep?”

“Yes,” Dmitry agrees, “But whether or not he is a believer is legend.”

“What of Christ?”

“Do you not know who I pray to every morning?” He asks her, tears welling in his eyes, “And every night?”

“My love,” she says as she places down the garment and stands. She approaches her old husband, a man she has known for most of her life, “Continue to have faith, for it is our Lord that will guide us to the gates of Heaven.”

“It is not salvation in the afterlife that I want,” he says as he holds her close to him, “I want better for my children now, and my children’s children.”

“Is everything all right?” Ilya Kirik has come inside to find his parents clutched in the grips of sorrow.

Dmitry turns to his son, “Yes,” he tells him as he steps towards him and embraces him as closely as he was holding his wife only moments before. “I wonder,” Dmitry begins to say, “Will you walk with me?”

Ilya is considerably tired but also knows that his father would never ask him for such a request if he did not mean it. “Give me a moment,” Ilya told him, “And we will go.”

--

“Tell me what you know of the gods of old,” Dmitry asks his son as they walk side by side, their steps crunching softly on the dirt path.

“Hardly anything, father,” Ilya replies, his voice trailing off as he follows alongside his father, uncertain of where their journey will lead.

“Have you ever dreamt of them?” Dmitry asks him, his tone laced with genuine curiosity, his eyes fixed on the horizon.

Ilya is surprised by the question, his brows furrowing in thought. “I…” he hesitates, “I’m not sure.”

“I have,” Dmitry tells him, his voice tinged with a hint of reverence. “All my life.”

“What do you mean?”

“In my dreams, I am visited by a man with one eye and a raven on his shoulder,” Dmitry explains, his words sending a shiver down Ilya’s spine. “Have you ever seen such a man?”

Ilya had indeed seen this mysterious figure, lurking in the depths of his dreams. At first, he was hesitant to acknowledge the truth to his father, fearing that he might be falling prey to an elaborate prank. But his trust in Dmitry outweighed his doubts, and so he confessed, “I have.”

“Tell me about it,” Dmitry prompts, his eyes intense as they lock onto his son’s.

“In my dreams, like you’ve said,” Ilya confirms, his voice barely above a whisper.

“Has he ever told you anything?”

Ilya nods slowly, “Yes… Well… not exactly. He’s only ever said one word, and it’s the same word each time.”

“What is it?” Dmitry’s gaze pierces through the gathering dusk.

“Rurik,” Ilya reveals, “And for the longest time, I thought he was saying our name, but I came to know it as Rurik.”

“It is our name,” Dmitry affirms, his voice laden with significance. “Our true name.”

Ilya stops in his tracks, his eyes wide with astonishment. “Has he said the same to you?”

Dmitry nods, “Yes,” he gestures for his son to continue walking, “Do not stop, we’re almost there.”

“Where are we going?”

Dmitry remains silent, his expression unreadable as he leads Ilya deeper into the secluded part of their land. There, in the overgrown foliage, Dmitry points to a hollowed-out tree that has been obscured from view. Inside the belly of the tree, Ilya uncovers a hidden relic, an ancient pagan artifact, depicting Rurik’s invocation of Odin and his ascension as the true leader of Mother Russia. “What is this?” Ilya breathes, disbelief evident in his tone as he gazes upon the artifact.

“Our past,” Dmitry replies.

“Why are you showing this to me now?”

“I want you to change our future.”

“What are you talking about? How do you know this?”

“I’ve been shown this tree many times in my dreams, but I was afraid to come here on my own. Each time I was shown the tree, I would hear a song,” Dmitry begins to chant softly. With each word, the boundary between reality and fantasy begins to blur, and together, their minds open to the mysteries of the universe.

“Odin, Allfather, hear my plea,
From realms beyond, I summon thee.
By raven's wing and one-eyed sight,
Guide us through the darkest night.

In days of old, our ancestors called,
To thee, great Odin, they once enthralled.
Grant us wisdom, grant us might,
To rise above the darkest plight.

With spear in hand and wisdom vast,
Lead us onward, hold us fast.
In your name, we shall unite,
To claim our freedom, to win our fight.

Oh, Odin, hear our fervent cry,
As we stand beneath the sky.
Grant us strength, grant us grace,
To carve our fate in time and space."

Dmitry grabs a hold of his son, “Sing with me!” he tells him, “Sing now!” Father and son sing loudly as they begin to dance beneath the moonlit sky, their voices merging in the chant to Odin. The air around them crackles with energy, and a swirling vortex of light engulfs them, lifting them off their feet and into the sky. Their surroundings dissolve into a kaleidoscope of colors and shapes, and they find themselves suspended in a void. Before them, a shimmering figure materializes, its form shifting and changing until it becomes Odin, the Allfather, ancient and wise.

"My children," Odin's voice reverberates through their minds, his words both soothing and commanding. "I answer your call." Dmitry and Ilya are awestruck by the sight before them, their hearts pounding with a mixture of fear and delight. They bow their heads in deference to the ancient god, feeling the weight of his gaze upon them. "Fear not," Odin's voice soothes their fears like a gentle breeze. "I have watched over your family for generations," As Odin speaks, images begin to flicker before their eyes, scenes from the past unfolding like pages in a book. They see their ancestors, the mighty warriors of old, standing defiant against tyranny and oppression. They witness the rise and fall of empires, the ebb and flow of power, and through it all, they see the hand of Odin guiding the course of history. "Your bloodline has been chosen," Odin's voice resonates with ancient wisdom, "Together you can lead your people to freedom, and as long as you hold fast to your faith in me, I will be with you every step of the way."

Dmitry and Ilya nod in silent understanding, hardened by the words of the Allfather. They know what they must do.

"Go forth," Odin's voice booms like thunder, "Unite our people, rally them to our cause, and together, we shall overthrow those who oppress you. And remember, as long as you believe in me, I will never abandon you."

With those words ringing in their ears, Dmitry and Ilya feel themselves being drawn back down to the earth, their minds ablaze as they return to the mortal realm. “My god,” Ilya says aloud as he looks to his father, trying to confirm if what they just witnessed was real.

Dmitry smiles back at his son before he says, “Our Allfather.”

“Was that real?”

“Real for us,” it is all Dmitry can say to him, as even he himself is unsure of what they just witnessed.

“We are farmers,” Ilya continues to speak with doubt, “How could we possibly rally the people?”

“We will do so through the raven,” Dmitry tells him as he points up and behind Ilya’s head. Ilya turns to see a large raven perched above the hollowed tree. “Odin will guide us.”

As they stand in the clearing, bathed in the moonlight, Dmitry and Ilya realize that their journey has only just begun. With the guidance of Odin and the strength of their convictions, they will defy the odds and challenge the reign of the Romanovs. But their path will not be easy. They will face trials and tribulations, and their faith will be tested time and again. Yet, they carry within them the spark of revolution, the flame of hope that will ignite the hearts of their people. And as they look to the horizon, they see not just the dawn of a new day, but the promise of a brighter future for all who dare to dream of a world where equality reigns supreme.

Chapter 8 - Bloody Sunday

January 1905

It is early morning in St. Petersburg. Ilya Kirik, now an elderly man, stands on the balcony of his modest apartment, looking down at the cold streets below. Time has carved lines on his face, but those Rurik eyes remain the same. Since the successful emancipation of the serfs, Ilya has been a guiding light in the movement for social change. The transition of the working class from fields to factories brings forth the seeds of revolution, and now, on the cusp of unrest, Ilya understands that the time for action has come. Beside him, Georgy Gapon, a young priest groomed and mentored by Ilya in secret, radiates confidence in his simple black robe. With broad shoulders and a strong jawline, Georgy stands tall among the protesters. His dark hair is cropped close to his head, emphasizing the sharp angles of his cheekbones. Though young, there is a wisdom in Georgy’s eyes that is beyond his age.

Close by stands Yelena, Ilya's daughter, a skilled organizer devoted to the cause of Russian freedom. Her eyes, the color of a summer sky, mirror her gentle soul. As she stands beside her father, her presence is a source of comfort and reassurance. Ilya turns to Georgy, clasping the young priest’s hand in his own weathered grip. "Today, father, you will lead our people in our fight for equality," Ilya says, his voice filled with pride. "You have the strength, the courage, and the faith to see it through."

Georgy returns Ilya's warm smile, his hand tightening around the elder's. "I will not fail you," he vows, his voice unwavering. "I will lead our brothers and sisters to victory, and together, we will bring freedom and equality to all."

With their pact sealed, the trio joins the throngs of protesters gathering at the pre-determined meeting spot. The goal is clear, and the message is simple – the people demand fair wages, shorter hours, and an end to the oppressive reign of the Romanovs. The discontent with the Romanov regime has reached a boiling point, fueled by years of exploitation, inequality, and injustice. Under Tsar Nicholas II's iron fist, the working class suffers immensely, while the nobility lives the lives of luxury and extravagance. The Romanovs maintain their grip on power through a system of serfdom, exploiting the labor of the peasantry to enrich themselves. Workers endure appalling conditions, harsh treatment, and meager wages, while the nobles grow fat off their labor. The people's resentment towards the Romanovs simmers beneath the surface, while strikes are suppressed, dissent crushed, and cries for reform ignored. But today, the people have had enough. They demand change, they demand justice, and they are willing to fight for it.

In the heart of the protest, Ilya, Georgy, and Yelena stand united, their voices rising above the crowd. "My fellow comrades!" Ilya's voice carries, commanding attention. Slowly, the murmurs fade, and all eyes turn to him. "We stand here today, not as individuals, but as a collective voice. We demand dignity!" Ilya's voice swells with emotion as he gestures to the sea of faces before him. "These are not just faces in a crowd; they are our hope. And today, we march for every man, woman, and child silenced by the Romanovs!"

Georgy steps forward, his presence equally commanding. "For too long, we have languished in the depths of despair. Today, we rise! Today, we proclaim to the world that we will no longer be silent, that we will no longer bow down to tyranny!"

Yelena joins them, her voice resonating with passion. "We march for our children, for a future free from fear and want. We march for those trampled upon, for those whose cries have fallen on deaf ears. And we march for the respect that is our birthright!"

The crowd erupts into cheers and applause, their voices echoing through the streets. With hearts united, they raise their banners high and march forward, a tide of humanity surging towards the gates of power. As they approach the palace, their voices rise in a thunderous chorus, shaking the very foundations of authority. For Ilya Kirik, this may be his final act as a leader, but as he watches Georgy Gapon take his place at the forefront of the revolution, he knows that the future of Russia lies in capable hands. The crowd surges forward, a mass of bodies propelled by their cause. Georgy leads the charge towards the grand gates of the Winter Palace, flanked by Ilya and Yelena. Behind them, a sea of protesters chants in unison.

"Down with the autocracy! Down with the Romanovs! Down with the autocracy! Down with the Romanovs!"

As they approach the grand fates, tension hangs thick in the air, mingling with the biting cold of the winter morning. The Romanovs, safe within the walls of the palace, watch with growing unease as the protesters draw nearer. Tsar Nicholas II paces anxiously, his hair, typically styled in a neat and conservative manner, is unkempt. Dressed in elaborate attire, Nicholas is an impressive figure, but his brow is furrowed with worry, and his advisors are on edge. Decisions must be made in haste as the situation will soon be beyond his control. Nicholas calls for guards to be mobilized, their rifles at the ready, and as they form a line of defense against the encroaching crowd – it only serves to fuel their fervor. Orders are barked out, mingling with the sounds of boots striking the polished marble floors. "Bring in the troops immediately! I will not tolerate this!" the Tsar commands, "Seal off all entrances to the palace grounds!" he continues, "Deploy the Cossacks!" he shouts, his fists clenched as he paces back and forth in his chambers. "Send word to the neighboring garrisons! I want reinforcements!" As Nicholas issues his orders, his advisors exchange nervous glances, acutely aware of the gravity of the situation. Fear grips them as they scramble to carry out his demands, knowing that failure is not an option under their volatile monarch.

Outside, Georgy raises his voice above the crowd, addressing the protesters with passion. "Brothers and sisters!" We stand here today united in our cause! We will not be silenced! We will not be ignored! Together, we will make our voices heard!"

Ilya stands at his side, his gaze fixed on the imposing gates of the palace. "This is our moment," he declares, his voice a mix of anticipation and apprehension. "We have come too far to turn back now."

The crowd swells with renewed vigor, their chants rising to a crescendo as they press forward towards the palace gates. But as they do, a line of armed guards bars their path, their weapons raised in warning. The protesters come face to face with the line of armed guards, their chants not faltering for a moment. Georgy Gapon stands at the front of the crowd, his voice booming above the crowd as he addresses the guards. "Stand down!" Georgy commands, his tone firm but measured. "We seek only fair treatment for our fellow countrymen. Let us pass peacefully, and no harm shall come to you."

The guards exchange uneasy glances, their fingers twitching nervously on the triggers of their rifles. They know that any misstep could spell disaster, but they are torn between their loyalty to the Tsar and their duty to maintain order. Behind the palace walls, Tsar Nicholas II paces restlessly in his chambers, his face contorted with anger and fear. He watches the scene unfolding outside with mounting apprehension, "Fire at will!" he barks out suddenly, his voice filled with desperation as he gives the order to his guards. "We cannot allow these traitors to breach our defenses. Show them no mercy!"

Chaos erupts as the guards open fire on the unarmed protesters, their shots ringing out like thunder in the crisp winter air. The crowd scatters in panic, their cries of terror drowned out by the popping of gunfire. Suddenly, Ilya falls to the ground, a look of shock and disbelief on his face as he clutches his chest, a bullet lodged in his heart. Georgy rushes to Ilya’s side, his heart heavy with grief as he cradles the old man in his arms. "Ilya," he murmurs, his voice chokes with emotion. "Hold on, my friend. Help is coming." But Ilya’s eyes are already growing dim, his breaths shallow. With a trembling hand, he reaches out to grasp Georgy’s. "I have failed you," Georgy says aloud as he looks into the eyes of his dying mentor.

"No," Ilya insists, tears streaming down his cheeks. "You have done more for our cause than anyone could have asked. You are a hero, my friend." With those final words, Ilya’s hand falls limp, his life slipping away as the crowd swirls around them. Georgy bows his head in silent prayer, his heart heavy with sorrow for the loss of his comrade.

Meanwhile, within the confines of the Winter Palace, Tsar Nicholas II watches the events unfolding outside with a mixture of trepidation. His advisors clamor for his attention, their voices urgent as they debate the best course of action. "We must squash this rebellion," one advisor insists, his face flushed with fear. "We cannot allow these insurgents to threaten the regime."

Nicholas nods, "Send in the cavalry," his voice is cold.

As the palace guards mobilize to suppress the uprising, Yelena surveys the scene from her vantage point in the crowd. Determination burns in her eyes as she locks eyes with Georgy in silent prayer. Instantly she is aware that her father is gone, and that his sacrifice will not be in vain. The clash between the protesters and the palace guards intensifies, and as Yelena reaches her Georgy, she is quick to drop down beside him. She grabs her father’s limp hand, and he is already cold to the touch. “We must go, but we will come back for him,” Georgy says as he places his hand on her shoulder.

Yelena nods as tears stream down her face, "The Valkyrie has him now."

Georgy grips Yelena’s hand and helps her stand, they lock eyes, "May the Allfather guide us,” he tells her, and in that sentence, she understands exactly what he means. She understands that Georgy is a believer, and in that understanding she becomes a believer in him as well. Together, Georgy and Yelena move through the crowd, their hands clasped tightly together as they make their way out of the streets of St. Petersburg. As the crackling gunfire echoes through the streets, a lone raven appears, its dark wings beating rhythmically against the gusts of wind. The bird's eyes gleam with an otherworldly intelligence as it circles above. Georgy and Yelena lock eyes with the raven, a sense of recognition passing between them as if they understand the silent message it conveys. Without hesitation, they follow the raven as it swoops down, leading them through the maze of streets and alleyways, guiding them purpose.

As they follow the raven's lead, they find themselves navigating through the cityscape, their path illuminated by a soft glow overhead. With each twist and turn, they feel a sense of protection enveloping them, as if they are being shielded from harm by some unseen force. Finally, they emerge from the city streets, finding themselves in a secluded alleyway. The raven perches atop a nearby rooftop, its piercing gaze fixed on them as if to bid them farewell. Georgy and Yelena exchange a knowing glance, a silent acknowledgment of the mystical guidance they have received. With a sense of gratitude and reverence, they bow their heads in thanks to the enigmatic bird before they walk away from St. Petersburg, hands still clasped together.

--

A year has passed since the fateful events of Bloody Sunday. In the dimly lit confines of their secret home, Georgy and Yelena find peace in each other's embrace. The flickering candlelight casts shadows across the walls as they huddle together, their infant son nestled safely between them. Georgy's eyes hold a weariness, and he speaks in hushed tones, "We need his help," he murmurs to Yelena, referring to a man by the name of Rutenberg. "We are not strong enough on our own."

Yelena listens to Georgy's words and knows all too well the risks they face, but she refuses to succumb to fear, "We must pray to the Allfather," she replies, her voice firm. "Trust in the raven."

Georgy nods in agreement, "I have not lost faith, nor do I believe that Odin is gone from us." As he speaks, the sound of a gentle cooing fills the air, drawing their attention to their infant son. Yelena smiles tenderly, her fingers gently caressing the baby's cheek.

"He is our hope," her voice is filled with love. She looks up at Georgy, "Together, we will be strong enough."

Georgy's eyes soften as he looks upon his son, a surge of protectiveness swelling within him. "I will do whatever it takes to ensure his future," he vows. "There is a meeting tonight," Georgy says abruptly, "A gathering of our allies. They claim to have vital information to share."

Yelena's eyes widen with alarm as she hears Georgy's words. Instinctively, she reaches out to grasp his hand, her fingers tightening around his, "Be cautious, my love," she warns, "I do not trust him."

"He is a good man," Georgy promises, his eyes locking with Yelena's. " I cannot ignore this opportunity. We need all the allies we can get."

With a heavy heart, Yelena watches as Georgy prepares to depart, and she clings to him desperately. "Promise me you will return," she whispers.

"I swear it," he tells her, and it easy, because he believes it. "I will return to you."

--

Yelena waits anxiously throughout the night, her heart heavy as the hours pass by in agonizing silence. But as dawn breaks and Georgy fails to return, a sense of dread settles over her. With trembling hands, she gathers her son in her arms, her mind racing with fear. Desperate for answers, Yelena knows that she must act quickly. Without hesitation, she flees to the neighbor’s house. The man is a trusted comrade, and familiar with her family, “I beg of you,” Yelena pleads with her neighbor to watch over her son while she searches for Georgy. She knows the risks of leaving her child behind, but she cannot bear the thought of him falling into the wrong hands. "Georgy would have been back by now," she tells him, her voice trembling with emotion. "Please keep my boy safe until I return. And if I do not... take him to the safe house. His life depends on it."

"You have my word," he assures her, his voice steady. "But should you go?"

Yelena does not answer his question and instead grasps his arm, "Do not trust Rutenberg," she warns him, "He is not to be trusted."

With those words ringing in his ears, the neighbor watches as Yelena disappears into the unknown. And as he cradles the child in his arms, he vows to honor her wishes, to safeguard the innocent life entrusted to his care.

Chapter 9 – Opportunity Knocks

November 1918

In the aftermath of the Great War, the once-mighty Romanov dynasty teeters on the brink of collapse. The winds of change sweep through Russia, carrying with them the promise of revolution. A young boy named Alexei Kirik is now twelve years old, and he bears the burden of a legacy he scarcely comprehends. Taken to a safehouse as an infant, he has grown up separated from the tumultuous world of revolution, sheltered from the truth of his parentage and the role they played in shaping the course of history. Though he lacks the wisdom of age, his spirit burns bright with a longing for purpose. Raised by those who once fought alongside his parents, Alexei finds himself adrift in a world that has moved on without him. The comrades who once nurtured his dreams of revolution have grown disillusioned and as the tide of history turns against them, Alexei is left to wander the streets alone. As talk of revolution grow louder on the streets of St. Petersburg, Alexei finds himself drawn inexorably towards the heart of the storm. But try as he might, he cannot shake the feeling of being an outsider, a stranger in a world that once promised him to belong. And though he longs to make his mark upon the world, to honor the memory of those who came before him, he cannot shake the feeling that he is powerless to change the world.

The once-mighty Romanov dynasty crumbles beneath the weight of popular uprising, its legacy tarnished by years of inequality. In its place rises a new order, one born from the ashes of revolution and fueled by the ideals of communism. For Alexei, the revolution is both a promise and a peril. Though he longs to embrace the cause of his parents and fight for a better future, he knows that the momentum that once carried the movement forward has been hijacked by radical forces, their vision of utopia tarnished by madmen. As he wanders the streets of St. Petersburg, Alexei witnesses the birth of a new era. The comrades who once fought alongside his parents have either scattered or fallen victim to the brutal machinations of the Bolsheviks. And as he watches the world around him descend further into chaos, he can't help but feel a weird sense of betrayal, a gnawing emptiness that eats at him from within.

“What do you want, boy?” the Merchant asks him rudely, knowing full well that Alexei has no money to pay for his goods.

“Would you give an apple for a song, mister?” Alexei asks him, his smile is kind and reminiscent of his mother, “I can sing just about any song you’d like,” he lowers his head slightly, “I know all of them.”

“That’s a mighty claim, boy,” the Merchant softens for a moment before he shoos Alexei away, “But I need not music today! Money instead! Come back when you have some!”

As Alexei willing moves away, he continues his solitary journey through the streets of St. Petersburg. November in 1918 paints a picture of a city in flux, where the words of revolution are nearly painted on every cobblestone alley and grand boulevard. The once-grand palaces of the Romanovs now stand as silent witnesses to the upheaval that has gripped the nation. Their opulent facades are marred by bullet holes and graffiti. Among the wreckage of the old order, a new symbol of power emerge – red banners flap defiantly in the wind, emblazoned with the hammer and sickle of the Bolsheviks. Communism, once whispered in secret corners and darkened rooms, now permeates the air. The ideals of equality and social justice are no longer relegated to the backrooms but proclaimed boldly in the streets, where workers and intellectuals alike gather to debate the future. And yet, for all its promise of liberation, there is a sense of unease that hangs over the capital. The specter of violence looms large.

As Alexei navigates the thoroughfares of St. Petersburg, he is keenly aware of the tension that simmers beneath the surface. The once-familiar sights and sounds of his childhood are now tinged with a sense of foreboding, and still, there is strange beauty to be found – in the resilience of the human spirit, in the bonds of solidarity. As he walks, Alexei catches snatches of conversation – calls to action, prayers, and though he may be but a mere observer in this drama unfolding before him, he knows that he is a part of something greater than himself. He wanders deeper into the heart of St. Petersburg, and his footsteps lead him to a place of profound significance – the towering monument of Peter the Great, known as the Bronze Horseman. Set against the backdrop of the Neva River, the monument stands as a testament to the might of Russia's past rulers. As Alexei gazes up at the imposing figure, he cannot help but feel a sense of awe for the man.

Alexei looks closer at the monument, realizing only now that there is an undercurrent of darkness to it– a reminder of the suffering that accompanied Peter's rise to power. The bronze horse rears up on its hind legs, and perched atop the horse's back, Peter the Great surveys his domain with a cold gaze, his hand outstretched as if commanding the very forces of nature themselves. As Alexei takes in the scene before him, he is suddenly overcome by a strange sensation – a fleeting image of a one-eyed man with a raven perched upon his shoulder. The vision is brief and indistinct, like a half-remembered dream, but it stirs something within him – a sense of recognition. But try as he might, Alexei cannot make sense of the vision, for he knows nothing of his own past or the legacy that he carries within him.

“Get moving,” a police officer tells Alexei before he strikes the back of his shoulder, pushing Alexei away from the monument. “Street scum,” the police officer says to Alexei as he raises his hand again to strike, “We don’t want your kind down here.”

Alexei scurries away before he is struck again and rubs the area in which he was hit before he turns back to see the police officer walk away. It is a short walk back to his communal home– a modest building tucked away in a narrow alley, its weather-worn exterior blending seamlessly into the surrounding urban landscape. Inside, the living space is a hive of activity, with makeshift beds scattered haphazardly across the floor and the smell of stale food lingering in the air. The residents, a motley crew of misfits and outcasts, go about their daily routines with weary resignation.

"Hey there, Alexei!" calls out one of the residents, a grizzled old man with a twinkle in his eye. "How was your day?"

"Same as always," Alexei replies, as he exchanges pleasantries with his fellow resident before retreating to his corner of the room. His sleeping quarters, a small alcove tucked away, offers little in the way of privacy. A threadbare blanket serves as his only barrier against the cold, hard floor, while the dim light of a candle is the only light available. As Alexei lies down to sleep, his mind is consumed by thoughts of the vision he saw earlier that day – the one-eyed man and the raven, symbols of a past he can scarcely comprehend. He senses that there is meaning to be found in those fleeting images, a connection to a history that has been all but forgotten.

--

As dawn breaks over St. Petersburg, Alexei stirs from his slumber to the sounds of revolution in the streets. The air is charged with a sense of foreboding that hangs heavy in the early morning mist. A lone raven perches outside his window, its piercing gaze fixed upon him with an intensity that sends shivers down his spine. Instinctively, Alexei follows the raven's lead, his heart pounding in rhythm with its ominous wings as they glide toward the Winter Palace. Along the way, he witnesses the scene unfolding before him – revolutionaries clashing with royal guards, the air thick with the acrid scent of gunpowder.

As they approach the palace gates, Alexei's gaze is drawn to the figure of Tsar Nicholas II, his family huddled together in a desperate attempt to flee the mob. The raven circles overhead, and for a moment, Alexei feels a surge of pity for the doomed family, their once-mighty dynasty crumbling before his eyes. Yet, even as he watches, a sense of justice pervades the air – the raven's silent assurance that this is the inevitable consequence of oppression. But as the Bolsheviks close in, Alexei cannot bring himself to stand by. With quick thinking he creates a momentary diversion. Spotting a nearby cart laden with crates of fruit, Alexei darts towards the cart. As he reaches the cart, he begins to stack the crates atop one another, and with a final glance towards the palace gates, and a sudden jerk, he pushes the stacked crates to the ground with a deafening crash. The sound echoes through the courtyard, drawing the attention of the Bolsheviks to the spilled fruit rolling towards them. In the confusion that follows the Romanovs separate, and Alexei seizes the opportunity to lead them to safety. With a quick gesture, he motions for the closest person to him- Anastasia, the youngest daughter of the Tsar, to follow him. There’s a moment of clarity in Alexei's mind as he takes Anastasia's hand, her wide eyes reflecting a mixture of fear and hope. "Come with me," Alexei whispers to her, "I know a way out of here."

Anastasia nods, her trust in this mysterious boy born out of desperation. She follows Alexei as he navigates through the corridors of the palace, and as they reach a secluded exit, Alexei's heart races with the anticipation of freedom. With a quick glance to ensure they're not being followed, he pushes open the heavy doors, revealing a moonlit courtyard bathed in shadows. "This way," Alexei says softly, "Hurry."

Together, they slip out into the night, the cool breeze washing over them like a balm. The raven watches from above, its piercing gaze following their every move. And though Alexei cannot decipher the meaning behind its watchful eye, he can't shake the feeling that their fates are intertwined in ways he cannot yet understand.

Chapter 10 – The Last Descendent

Modern Day, 2024

The sleepy town of Suzdal, located in the heart of Russia, holds secrets that stretch back through time. Among its quaint cottages, the Kirik family carves out a quiet existence, far removed from the outside world. Savva, the youngest of the Kirik lineage, spends his days gliding across the ice, and within his athletic prowess lies a curious soul. Savva possesses the striking physicality of a young athlete, with a strong build he stands tall and lean, his muscles honed from years of dedication to the sport. His face is defined by sharp, angular features, giving him a focused expression. High cheekbones frame his face, accentuating his chiseled jawline and adding a touch of intensity to his gaze. His eyes, a deep and piercing shade of blue, are the mark of his Rurik bloodline. Savva's hair, dark and tousled, falls effortlessly across his forehead as he lingers in his small bedroom, packing his belongings with a mix of excitement and trepidation. The promise of adventure hangs in the air, but he can’t help but feel nervous.

"Savva, my dear boy, are you almost ready?" calls out his grandmother from the kitchen below, her voice is warm and gentle.

"Yes, just a moment!" Savva replies as he finishes packing his bag and takes the creaky staircase to the cozy kitchen where his grandmother is preparing breakfast. Savva’s grandmother possesses the beauty of her Slavic heritage, with fair skin and a complexion reminiscent of a blooming rose.

"Good morning, babushka," Savva greets her with a smile, the aroma of freshly baked bread welcoming him.

"Good morning, my dear," she replies, "Are you ready for your big day?"

Savva nods, "As ready as I'll ever be," he says, trying to sound more confident than he feels.

She notices the apprehension in Savva's demeanor as they sit together, and as she sets down her cup of tea- she places a gentle hand on his arm. "What's troubling you?" she asks, her voice soft with concern.

Savva looks up, trying to muster a reassuring smile. "It's nothing," he replies, attempting to brush off her concern. "Just a bit nervous, that's all."

She studies him for a moment, her eyes searching his face. "Is it because you've never flown on a plane before?" she ventures, "Did I ever tell you about the first time I flew on a plane?" she begins, "It was many years ago, long before you were born. I was young and like you, and I was also nervous, just like you are now."

Savva looks up, intrigued, "No, you haven't told me about that before."

"I was traveling to Moscow, and it was my first time leaving Suzdal," she continues. "I remember feeling anxiety as I boarded the plane. The feeling of it lifting off the ground... was overwhelming."

"What was it like?" he asks, his curiosity piqued.

She laughs softly. " I was scared at first," she admits. "But as the flight went on, I found myself enjoying the experience. I looked out the window and saw the clouds below us, and suddenly, I realized that flying wasn't so scary after all."

Savva smiles, before it fades rather quickly, "But what if I can't understand anyone when I get there?" he asks.

She pats his hand, "Oh Savva, you have nothing to worry about," she says gently. "You may not know English as well as some of your peers, but you have something even more important: courage. And you'll find that people are always willing to help, especially when they see that you're trying your best."

Savva nods, "Thank you, babushka," he replies, "I feel better now."

"Just remember, no matter what challenges you face, you'll always have the strength of your family behind you. And I have no doubt that you'll do great things, wherever your life may take you."

Breakfast passes in a blur of laughter and conversation, but as Savva finishes his last bite of bread and drains his tea, the weight of the unknown settles over him once more. A pang of longing tugs at his heart as he thinks of his parents. They are not present in the kitchen, nor are they able to accompany him to the airport. Instead, they are thousands of miles away, caught up in the demands of their own lives. Savva's parents, like many Russians, are struggling to make ends meet in an increasingly challenging economic climate. Both of them work long hours to provide for their family back in Suzdal, leaving little time for leisure. Their absence weighs on Savva, who longs for their guidance during this pivotal moment in his life, and while he may speak to them on the phone – it is not enough.

Leaving the warmth of the kitchen behind, Savva sets out for the train station, his grandfather by his side. The old man's presence is comforting as they navigate the streets of Suzdal, the morning sun painting the world in gold and amber. But as they make their way through the town, Savva can't shake the sense of unease that grips him. The distant rumble of artillery fire serves as a constant reminder of the war on Ukraine, a conflict that threatens to engulf the entire region.

At the station, Savva's heart sinks at the sight of the crowded platform, a sea of faces all gathering for a chance to board the train bound for Moscow. But with his grandfather’s steady hand on his shoulder, Savva continues forward. As they make their way through the crowd, Savva can't shake the feeling that they are being watched. He glances around, his eyes darting from face to face in search of the source of his unease. And then, out of the corner of his eye, he sees it: a man wearing what appears to be a cloak, his form obscured by the mists of the crowd. Savva's heart skips a beat as he locks eyes with the stranger, a sense of recognition stirring deep within him. A man with one eye.

"Dyedushka, do you see that man?" Savva asks as he clutches his grandfather’s arm.

His grandfather follows his gaze, but by the time he turns back to Savva, the man has vanished, leaving Savva to wonder if he imagined the encounter altogether. Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, Savva boards the train bound for the Moscow airport. The journey is long, each passing hour stretching into eternity as Savva grapples with the weight of his decision to leave his homeland behind. At the front of his mind is his love for his family, he knows that his departure will leave a void in their lives. But beyond that, Savva is acutely aware of the political climate that grips Russia and its neighboring countries. The ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine casts doubt over his ability to leave, reminding him of the duty he owes to his country. There's a part of him that wonders if he's shirking his responsibilities by pursuing his dream, instead of heeding the call to enlist like so many others his age.

As the train rattles and groans to a stop in the capital, a knot tightens in his stomach. The terminal is a stark contrast to the quiet streets of Suzdal, filled with travelers from all walks of life. “It will be okay,” his grandfather tells him as he watches the young boy look out at the people in amazement, “Follow me.”

At the security gate for the airport, Savva stands in line with his passport clutched in his hands. The line seems to go for miles, and each minute ticks by slowly as he waits his turn. Finally, he approaches the desk, and the attendant behind the counter greets him, "Passport," the attendant says, her voice polite but tinged with suspicion. She can visibly see that he is a young man, and as Savva hands over his passport, his palms are slick with sweat. Every second feels like an eternity as she scrutinizes the document. "I'm sorry," she says at last, her tone apologetic. "But it seems there's an issue with your travel authorization. I'm afraid I can't allow you to board the flight."

Savva's heart sinks like a stone as the words wash over him, "But... I have to get on this flight," desperation creeps into his voice. "There must be a mistake." Savva looks back for his grandfather and remembers that he already left.

The attendant shakes her head sympathetically, her hands tied by the strict regulations that govern international travel for males of his age. "I'm sorry," she repeats, "There's nothing I can do."

Savva feels the weight of defeat settle over him before he turns away from the counter, his shoulders slumped as he prepares to leave the airport. Disappointment presses down on him, his dreams dashed in an instant. His mind races with a thousand questions- How will he get back home? Will he ever have another opportunity to reach the Knights? The thought of returning home fills him with a sense of shame. He wonders how he will face his grandparents… or explain to his parents the turn of events. But as he's about to walk away, a sensation washes over him and he looks up, his eyes widening in astonishment as he sees a black raven materialize before him, bathed in an ethereal glow.

Savva watches the raven, invisible to all but him, perch on a nearby railing. With a nod, Savva follows the mysterious bird, weaving through people in the crowd with an ease unlike before. To his surprise, the security checkpoint seems to part for him as he approaches, the guards oblivious to his presence. With each step, Savva's confidence grows, and as he passes through the metal detectors without so much as a second glance from the officers, his heart races with exhilaration. Boarding the plane feels like a dream as Savva follows the raven down the narrow aisle, his pulse quickening with anticipation. The flight attendants barely register his presence as they offer assistance to other passengers. It's as if he's invisible.

Settling into his seat, Savva looks out the window, where the raven waits patiently on the wing. And as the engines roar to life and the plane begins its ascent, he finally feels safe. For hours, he watches the world pass by below, the landscape shifting from cityscapes to sprawling forests as they cross the ocean. And all the while, the raven flies overhead, a constant companion in the vast sky. As the plane touches down in Kelowna, Savva feels a surge of gratitude wash over him. He gathers his belongings and steps off the aircraft, the smell of the Canadian air a stark contrast to his homeland Russia. And as he takes his first steps on foreign soil, he knows that he owes it all to the raven, his steadfast protector.

[Image: p82ugau.png]

Shit really is a novella, damn. Love it!

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

04-15-2024, 10:47 AMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: Shit really is a novella, damn. Love it!

Thank you kindly! I hope it's a fun read Smile

[Image: p82ugau.png]