Create Account

Shadow Fenix on his J career and his future in Seattle

In his final season on another talented Colorado Raptors roster, we sat down with fan favorite Shadow Fenix in order to get his thoughts on his SMJHL career, and what he’s doing to prepare for the next step as he makes his SHL debut on the big stage this coming season with the Seattle Argonauts.

Fenix is just one of many Argonaut prospects in the pipeline for the rebuilding franchise, and fans have been patiently watching and waiting as players have developed in the minor leagues. For Fenix, however, the expectations are high given his resume and accomplishments with the Raptors.

In four seasons, Shadow Fenix received 1x Four Star Cup, 2x 1st All Star Team, 1x Defense All Star Team, 1x Rookie All Star Team, and 1x Raymond Lindsay nomination. He also received Bronze at the WJC with Team United States White in Season 75.

“I’d love to take full credit for all of those, and fans will hype everything they can, but it truly was a team effort with some of those,” Fenix said when asked about his Junior hockey accomplishments, “Without the likes of Beausy, Mutou, Woody, Pins, just to name a few, I definitely wouldn’t have been able to perform the way I did.”

Fenix has been known to be humble with some of his responses to interviews, and shifting praise was no surprise to the reporters in the room. Nevertheless, this time reporters weren’t going to accept that answer. “You’ve finished your J career, enough with being humble, it’s time to celebrate your accomplishments!” One reporter shouted out, filling the room with chuckles.

Fenix gave a smile, “Of course, I know, I know. Obviously I try to be the best player I can, and I know the fans have high expectations of me, but I’m just trying to take it one day at a time.”

“What are some steps you’re taking to improve in the off season,” we asked as a follow-up, “since you said you’re trying to be the best player you can be, is there anything in particular the coaches with Seattle have asked you to work on?” Fenix paused for a moment, considering his response thoughtfully, leaving the air empty, until responding with a basic, “I’ve been so focused on the playoffs, I haven’t really thought about it.”

Nobody in the room spoke, and Fenix made a face of realization as he noticed that the reporters weren’t really fully satisfied with the answer, causing the room to erupt with more chuckles. “I mean, yeah,” Fenix started again, “it’s kind of the same as always. I’m working on the traits that I’m good at. The SHL is a different beast, so I’m spending more time in the gym. I’m going to be putting a lot of my saved TPE into my physical stats. I’ll go a bit into speed like always, but of course, you have to stay balanced. At least in the beginning.”

Nobody around the room blinked at the strange answer talking about ‘TPE’ and ‘stats’, but nevertheless, the point was clear; Fenix was going to spend his time in the gym rather than on the ice improving his offensive and defensive abilities.

To conclude the interview, we asked Fenix what was the biggest lesson he learned from the Juniors, and how did he intend to take it to the SHL. “The biggest thing by far is the locker room. Whether the team succeeds or fails, the power of friendship is what separates one team from another. I wasn’t always the most vocal in the locker room, especially when life and work got busy, but I hope that I can be a voice in the Seattle locker room. They’re building something nice there, and I want to be a part of it.”

We tried to ask what he meant by ‘work’ and ‘real life’, but almost immediately after he finished his answer, a media coordinator came and gave the typical “no more questions,” and we were forced to conclude the interview. Still, we were able to get a glimpse into incoming Argonaut rookie, Shadow Fenix.

Fenix later issued a final statement of thanks:
“I’d like to thank everyone involved in my four years in Colorado. From the coaching staff, to the administration, to my teammates, and most importantly, to the fans, it has truly been an honor to play for this Franchise and be a part of this era. I look forward to being a part of the Seattle Argonauts; Let’s go Argos!”