Create Account

Better Late Than Never [Eddie's 5-Year* Presser]

As far as the site knows, the 15th of April marked my 5th anniversary of activity on the site. This isn't exactly true, but my story in this community is pretty much a story of two different people, separated in age and sensibility. So here's my story.

I first created in the middle of high school. I had found out through word of mouth from a few friends, deep into the STHS sim experience. At the time I wasn't playing FHM, and I was starting out on NHL video games and sim leagues. In so many words, I was raw to the idea.

My first player was Izem Abioye, a defenseman. At the time, I was drawn to the idea of highlighting hockey players from non-traditional places, hockey where hockey may not be at the level where we'd see a player play at the highest level. For a fantasy environment, It's a sort of wish-fulfillment, as I celebrate new voices, faces, and nations in the hockey space. At the time though, I didn't have a lot of patience. The realization that a commitment to one player would be one for multiple years was rattling, and the PT system came off as homework to me, something I didn't want more of as a high school student. As a result, my attitude suffered, my commitment waned, and my ideas changed.

Around that time, I found a way to convince a collection of friends to recreate with me as a group of Polish brothers, the Franciszeks. I chose the name Borys, another defenseman, but by this point, I was truly burned out, and gimmicks were all I could stand to support. In the winter of 2019, I logged off for what I thought was the last time.

But along came college, and staying indoors, and online classes, and free time to spend. All of a sudden, Eddie has the patience to do some things with the SHL. During that time, my ideas of what a future in the real world would look like. My dreams of a growing international game had crystalized into a genuine wish to support the growth of the game, and I will contend to this day that I want to spend my retirement building rinks and hockey schools in Southeast Asia, bringing the game into the lives of young students to give them an edge studying abroad in Europe and North America.

It was from that distant dream that Hoang came about. Now, I have to admit a fatal fault in his story, and that is that his name is displayed backwards (Hoang Nam Hai would be how he might write it). But in him I really felt like I could express a part of my return to the SHL I hadn't thought about originally.

On top of my interest in hockey, I've always had the privilege of writing on my side. I've been decorated from a young age for my skill, and as I focused my studies on sports, I felt my creative writing skills rust, lacking practice. The SHL, and PT and the focus on media gave me the crucial opportunity to thrive in a community I had shunned for being too much work.

That focus propelled me to get involved in management, first in the WJC, where winning with Team ICE is still my proudest moment, and from there to the front office in Great Falls and Minnesota. Along the way, I got to bring friends with me, and one, @Seany148, has been following a similar path.

I've had real fun creating some great media for the league over the years, and it's daunting to think of what I could have accomplished in that 3-year hiatus.

As always, questions will be answered first-come first-serve. I appreciate all your support and help over the years, and here's to 5 more, hopefully without a break in the middle.

Not to be graded Yet.
(Word Count (Pending Questions): 650)

[Image: TRVzgUB.png][Image: dEdEwDx.png]

GrizzliesGrizzliesGrizzliesMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs

shl-oldshl-oldshl-oldUsaUsaMonarchsMonarchs

@eddiesnothere - is this ready for grading?

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

06-21-2024, 10:10 AMthiefofcheese Wrote: @eddiesnothere - is this ready for grading?

Forgo grading, don't want to be paid for this attempt.

[Image: TRVzgUB.png][Image: dEdEwDx.png]

GrizzliesGrizzliesGrizzliesMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs

shl-oldshl-oldshl-oldUsaUsaMonarchsMonarchs