Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #1 - The SMJHL : A Study in Green and Blue
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2024, 09:18 AM by CptSquall. Edited 1 time in total.)

With the recent announcement that the Regina Elk would be moving to Thunder Bay to become the Walleye they dropped a spiffy new logo and a colour scheme that temporarily brought the number of green and blue teams in the SMJHL to three, alongside Vancouver and Ottawa. While they reverted to the old purple and gold of the Elk only hours later, the angry green and blue fish lives on as a brief reminder of could have been. But why leave it there with only three green and blue teams? Why not take it further and recolour the entire SMJHL to green and blue? I set out to see what the SMJHL would look like in that alternate reality using the green and blue from the original Walleye logo to replace the main colours on all the other SMJHL logos. 

I want to sincerely apologize to the artists who created the original logos. They do not deserve the butchering I've given them and the artists may not forgive me this. But 5 TPE is 5 TPE so we continue.

SMJHL
Lets start with the main logo. You can't recolour the whole league and leave out the league's logo! This one changes the monochrome with a small pop of colour from the green but it's really not a improvement over the original. 5/10
[Image: mvcUwnP.png]

Anchorage
Thunder Bay's blue was nearly identical to the Armada's dark blue so I swapped the lighter blue with the green. I tried changing the grey to green as well but it was just too much. 3/10
[Image: 3qiShbQ.png]

Carolina
Kraken orange is a bold colour that's unique among SMJHL teams, and a great choice, but the Walleye colours work really well as a substitute. The dark blue gives the water a treacherous look but the kraken itself looks sickly but striking. 8/10
[Image: Rp0QgUN.png]

Colorado
I'm not sure if the green makes it look more like a raptor or a serpent but either way I think I've killed a few thousand of these in World of Warcraft. 2/10
[Image: eyjSTOG.png]

Detroit
The red is on the original is bright and threatening, something the Falcons would like to present to their opponents. The green makes it look like a parrot and I kind of hope it asks me for a cracker. 3/10
[Image: d3Pqxey.png]

Great Falls
This was one of the most complex logos of the bunch, and the colour change takes it from dangerous wild animal to infected horror movie monster. Call me crazy but I like it. 6/10
[Image: CoiS03a.png]

Kelowna
You'd think I'd swap out green for green but I threw a curveball here (I know wrong sport) and changed the Knights green to blue. There's a Gawain and the Green Knight sort of appeal to this one but not much else. 5/10
[Image: 9p6LePl.png]

Maine
Uh, I don't know what I was thinking with this one. It's just bad. This makes me question the nature of this alternate reality. 1/10
[Image: 0jcg57h.png]

Nevada
A simple change from the gold to green takes Nevada's logo from great to graffiti. I'm starting to question my own motives here. 2/10
[Image: 6ofT9on.png]

Newfoundland
Call me crazy but the green mustache and eyes looks great on the Berserker. The blue bear head also works somehow. 7/10
[Image: 6GimP0c.png]

Quebec
Have I been staring at these for so long that they're starting to look really good? Quebec might have my favorite logo in the league and the Walleye's colours take it to another level. 9/10
[Image: c5JXgh2.png]

Regina
Apparently I went to the alternate reality where Thunder Bay and Regina co-exist but Regina's elk in this reality is very ill. Let's just say that the real purple and gold is far better. 4/10
[Image: qpS9B9E.png]

San Diego
The new colours swaps sunset for night and pristine water for toxic waste but I love it. Is this a form of Stockholm Syndrome? 8/10
[Image: js6GuYf.png]

St Louis
The original Scarecrow is dark and creepy, perfect for the brand. This one is an abomination of a child's cartoon villain. A reeally bad one that's accidentally hilarious. And with that I've fully recovered from what syndrome was creeping in. 2/10
[Image: O6b6YcE.png]

Yukon
This is a lateral move, trading a cold day time sled dog for a warmer night time dog. The new colours have a bit of an Aurora Borealis feel to them though and it works somehow. 6/10
[Image: hEuD0p5.png]

Just for fun (if it can still be called that) I used Regina's colours for the current green and blue teams. If you've read this far already without running in terror consider them a type of reward, or maybe a punishment.

Vancouver
The gold mountains kind of give a golden hour vibe but that's about all the good in this swap. 3/10
[Image: C8FNVDJ.png]

Ottawa
I'm a big fan of darker reds and yellow together and those parts I love but the purple clashes with the red so much that it ruins what good it had. Frenchie might cut me for this. 4/10
[Image: Efv4XrW.png]

Code:
830 words

[Image: tcMCGba.png]

It looks like our mascot ate some grass that did not agree with him

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: 7MO9RpC.png] : .

SPOOKY SQUID! I LOVE IT

[Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60] [Image: kahri.gif][Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60]

NGL I kinda like the revamp on the OTT logo

[Image: pyro182.gif]

Thank you hewasajazzman, Slothfacekilla, Sulo, Frenchie, and Raymond for the sigs Smile

NL needs a 4/20 limited edition jersey with that logo.

Approved @Vrain

[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: CptSquall.gif]