Create Account

Thoughts About Betting Against Your Own Team

We have had a very interesting situation recently, which I wont elaborate on since it really isn’t relevant to this article, but it got me to thinking. Yea, I have a tendency to do that sometimes, hahaha. But anyway…here we go.

When, if ever, is it acceptable to vote against your team during the playoffs?

I know, that immediately gets people’s minds going all over the place, and more than likely to one extreme belief about it or another. On the one hand, there is the “absolutely not, what are you thinking, pick against your own team? The travesty!” While on the other hand, there is the “Sure, why not, this is all for fun anyway, its not like we are actually betting with real money, this is all for fun anyway. I mean, lets be honest, no one is on the level of a Pete Rose-type situation anyway” type of mindset.

But, in all honesty, how is this looked at? Your team is considered an underdog, not really had a good season. So, is there any harm in picking them to lose in the playoffs? I mean, all things considered, what would a reasonable disinterested person do?

I think the obvious answer is they would select the team with the best chance of winning, especially if there is some kind of reward associated with said team’s victory (in this case, TPE). Anyone facing that kind of decision would weigh it out and select who has a higher probability of winning. I mean, that is how you get the reward, selecting the victor, even if that is the team you play for.

So if the objective is to earn that reward, it is a no-brainer, select the team that you feel has the best chance of victory…no matter who it is.

But is there a flip-side? Well, of course there is…kinda that Ying-yang type of thing. What about the felling that no matter what, a person NEVER places a bet against their own team…no matter what. Let’s be real, how can someone say they support a team when they are thinking they are going to lose? Sure, we all get selecting the team who has the best chance of winning…but not when they are the team playing my team!

After looking at all of this, and thinking about all of it…well…either point of view is really acceptable. I mean, that is the beauty of sim leagues…everyone gets to define their own experience and how they have fun. For some, it is betting on the side that has the best odds of winning…no matter who they are. For others, it is to support their team no matter what and that means never betting against them.

I feel like the deciding factor….well…that is how someone reacts if they lose their bet. With that one, well, I have to admit I come down on one side of the argument…
Never…no matter what…in no way…is it ever acceptable to bad-talk your own team…in their locker room…for winning.

I fully support someone’s right to enjoy the league however they choose to. But yea, there are some things that just are not acceptable and being “non-positive” about your own team’s victory…no matter how many TPE you lose in the process…well…yea…that just aint cool in my book.

Word Count: 550

Defender St Louis Scarecrows: S78-

Ironically the one season we won a cup in Winnipeg was the season I did not pick us to win. But the loss of TPE was vastly overshadowed by the thrill of victory.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Well said

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

Emotional hedging is great, either I win or I get prize.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

But also being mad about pulling off an upset is absolutely wild, and voicing that you wanted to lose is even wilder. That's not what being a team player is about.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

Look man, NONE of us expected that upset against Nevada ? I don’t think anyone bet on us, within our team, or without
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2024, 08:57 PM by Popol. Edited 1 time in total.)

That last sentence! Can't agree more

07-10-2024, 08:56 PMPopol Wrote: That last sentence! Can't agree more
Word Count: 550? Same

[Image: jovera.gif]

[Image: tZH05l4.png]

My emotional attachment to my team (Sim league/RL clubs I am a fan of) will always be weaker than my emotional attachment to pragmatism lol.

Quote:When, if ever, is it acceptable to vote against your team during the playoffs?
In short, you're hedging your TPE against your emotions. Can either be sad about both lost TPE and a cup, happy about both gained TPE and a cup, or you can at least guarantee there will be something to be happy about once it's all said and done.

[Image: sobchak.png]