Create Account

Verminski's Dream About to Come True

The time has finally come. The draft date has been set, the mock drafts have been flooding the NWJHL Media Section, and general managers are scrambling to wrap up talks with the available prospects measuring their interest in playing for them. We’ve been following top goaltender prospect Mike Verminski during the weeks leading up to the draft to see how he trains, what his days consist of, and most importantly what he thinks about various topics during the pre-draft days. With the draft scheduled for Monday, September 24th at 7:30pm EST we sat down the Verminski for one last set of interview questions.

[Image: nhl-draft3.jpg]

Interview Well the date has been set. Are you ready for tomorrow’s night’s draft?
Wow, tomorrow night? Thanks for letting me know because I had no idea! I guess I’m ready. I don’t exactly do anything except for sit there with my fingers crossed that someone will pick me.

[Image: man-with-fingers-crossed.jpg]

Interview Any idea where you’re going?
No idea at all. Some of the mock drafts have me going in the first round whereas some have me going as a high second rounder, low second rounder, or not at all in the first two rounds. I’m not worried about which overall pick I am. I’m just hoping someone picks me.

Interview Have you been talking to any teams?
Only one team has reached out to me, but I’m not at liberty to specifically say which team it was.

Interview Would you play for that team?
Yes, as I’ve said throughout all of these interviews I’m hoping that a specific team picks me. I’ll be honored to tend the goal for any team in the NWJHL. Of course I have certain preferences of where I play, but to be honest I think if a team near the bottom of my list drafted me I’d be just as excited as if a team near the top of my list chose me.

Interview So your preferences don’t really matter at all?
Haha, no, I guess not. I just want to sit back and enjoy this experience and take it all in. It’s a day that I’ll remember forever.

Interview You said one team has reached out to you. Have you reached out and expressed interest in any teams?
Well I haven’t contacted on general managers, but some of the teams have been posting “interested prospect” forms to fill out. I have filled out a couple of those, but again, I’m not going to specify which teams. If you really want dig that deep into it you can check out the forums to see which teams I responded to.

[Image: 28d7a8379bec9512de59c0263566b1ee.jpg]

Interview Who is traveling to the draft with you?
Well I honestly don’t even know where the physical location of the draft is so no one. I’ll be sitting at home with my pets rapidly clicking refresh on the website trying to find out as soon as possible where I’ll be playing.

[Image: computer-nerd.jpg]

Interview Where do you expect to play?
I expect to play in the NWJHL. I don’t have any idea which team is going to draft me, as I’ve stated many times I just want to play.

Interview Are you going to be upset if you’re drafted by a team not looking for a starter?
I think I’d be a little upset at first knowing that the second I’m drafted I’m already being designated as a backup. I don’t have any issues with being a backup, but I hope I’ll be drafted by a team that plans to utilize me as a starter.

Interview What if you are drafted with the intention of using you as a backup?
That’s fine. I’ll be a little disappointed, but I’ll get over it. Hopefully if I end up being in that situation my work ethic and determination will force the staff to start me for a good majority of the games. I’d be fine starting the season as a backup as long as I knew there was a chance I’d be able to start more than six games.

[Image: 31backups-articleLarge.jpg]

Interview Do you think you could challenge a current starter for their job?
I’m not sure about that. I haven’t seen a lot of the current NWJHL starters play, but I can guarantee you that if I’m put into that position I will challenge any current starter for their job. I work hard every day in practice and any starter who thinks their job is safe with me on the team with them is sadly mistaken.

Interview So to sum things up you’d prefer to be a starter, but if drafted to a team with a starter you plan on challenging them for their job?
Yes absolutely. Why wouldn’t I challenge someone for a starting job? There is nothing wrong with some friendly competition in practices. If it comes to that I think the competition between me and the starter would benefit both of us. You aren’t going to get better if you’re not pushing yourself. I don’t know of any better way to push yourself than if you’re fighting to keep your job, or take over someone’s job.

[Image: year11week19.jpg]

Interview Continuing with the summing up, you have no preference of where you play?
I didn’t say that. I said in past interviews I want to play in the NWJHL East, but wouldn’t refuse to play for a NWJHL West team or anything like that. No matter who drafts me I’m going to give it my all and be the best that I can. I want to win a championship with whichever team decides to draft me.

Interview Well I guess the only thing left to do now is sit back and wait patiently.
Speak for yourself I’ll be sitting here on the edge of my seat clicking refresh every 15 seconds to see where I go.

Interview Well Mike it’s been a pleasure following you around for the last three weeks. We wish you the best of luck in the draft tomorrow night. We’re sure that you will be a key addition to any of the six NWJHL teams.
Thank you,….. uhh…I don’t even know your name. Three weeks and you never even told me your name.

InterviewThat’s not important. Good luck!
Thanks again and I'd like to extend the good luck wishes to all of the other prospects who are in the same situation as me. I look forward to see which one of you I'll be calling teammates after tomorrow night!

[Image: g28.gif]

Code:
1,060 words/7 images

Good luck Bagheera Wink If we weren't both goalies I'd love you on my team :lol:

[Image: TtSHTwn.png]

Player Page | Update Thread
[Image: VhDOEWm.png]

Good luck Mike Smile

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)