Create Account

Winters selected by Knights, 10th overall

The NWJHL Entry Draft wrapped up just a few hours ago, and the dust has still not settled. The Kelowna Knights selected goalie Cyan Winters with their first pick of the draft, number 10 overall. Winters became the first goalie drafted, and the only goalie drafted in the first two rounds. We're on campus tonight with Cyan, bringing you an exclusive interview.

[Image: 0.jpg]
Hey it's her again!

Interview Cyan, you did it! You got drafted!

Winters: I know, it's pretty amazing. Honestly I can hardly even believe this whole night really happened, I keep expecting to wake up in a cold sweat, crying.

Interview It's real, I promise. You were drafted 10th overall, that's quite impressive!

Winters: It's a total honor. Being one of the first 10 drafted out of a class of 70 players? Unreal. The second round, man, that's special. I'm so honored by the oppurtunity.

Interview You were drafted by the Kelowna Knights. You made it pretty clear this is where you wanted to end up.

Winters: Was I that obvious? Woops. It's true, I wanted to play for them. I was first approached by the Falcons in Detroit, and they expressed interest in grabbing me in the 2nd round, as well. At that point I reached out to Josef Heiss, and expressed my interest to him. He got back to me quickly and let me know the feeling was mutual, and assured me the Knights would do what they had to in order to pick me up in the second round. At that point I had to decline the Falcons offer, and cross my fingers for the Knights to be the first team to take me. Luck was on my side!

Interview That's a great story. Are you excited to work with Heiss?

Winters: Yes. I've been labelled "The next Heiss" for weeks leading up to the draft, and the opportunity to work directly with him in order to improve my game is really exciting. I don't think any of the other goalies in the draft are going to be able to say they have such a great foundation for success. I would really like to thank Tylar and Heiss for being so excited about me and bringing me on board.

Interview Speaking of the other goalies; you were the first goalie drafted. This was considered an upset to many people who were expecting the Sex Panther to be the first. Some even projected him to go in the first round. Were you surprised not to hear his name called ahead of yours?

Winters: Honestly, yeah. It seemed like everyone was picking him ahead of me, and like he had a big fan base thanks to his Sex Panther branding. I really thought I had the better skill set, but I fully believed what I read and expected him to go early second round. I even briefly worried that the Knights would pick him instead of me when it got time for their first pick. I breathed quite a sigh of relief when my name was called. Let me just say, quick, though, that I have huge respect for Mike. I wish him all the best and I look forward to facing off against him.

Interview Now that you have been drafted, it's official that your time here at RIT is over. Anything you'd like to say to the community?

Winters: I can't thank the RIT community enough. I will be lucky if I ever play in front of a more passionate, loud, and all around amazing fan base. They live and breath hockey here, and always made me feel like a rock star. My team was always amazing, and I'll love those guys forever, no homo. I know it's cliche, but I just have to say thank you.

[Image: 4171_maxsize_800_800.jpg]
Winters says he will miss these amazing fans. Who wouldn't?

Interview Beautifully said. I know the community will miss you, no doubt about that. So what are your plans now? Heading to your new home soon?

Winters: Yeah, I've already started packing. I think I'm going to be hearing to Kelowna tomorrow, I need to get on the ice and shake off the rust before the other draftees get in town. Can't be made to look like a fool!

[Image: -632769_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650...5775235270]
Winters practicing in team neutral gear this weekend. Guess someone loaned him a Knights helmet?

Interview Do you have aspirations of starting this year?

Winters: This is a little embarrassing, but I honestly don't even know who else is on the Knights depth chart. I hope to be able to challenge for the starting job, but I don't necessarily expect it right out of camp. I'm the new guy, after all!

Interview Any thoughts on your new teammates from this draft class?

Winters: Alisha Keys is pretty attractive, although...as far as sharing a shower goes, I'd rather have Emma Watson.....I really shouldn't have said any of that. Can we cut that?

Interview Definitely not. That's gold.

Winters: Here we go again. God damnit, I hope the Kelowna media is a bit more respectful. But yeah, I'm excited to get to know my new teammates, both the prospects and the vets. This is going to be my first time getting paid to play hockey legally! ...oh I shouldn't have said that either.

Interview Sounds like Coach Wilson might have been running an illicit operation here under the table.

Winters: Next question.

Interview Did you ever accept money to play hockey at RIT?

Winters: Skip a few more questions, lady.

Interview Fine. Unfortunately, that's all we have today. Congratulations again on being drafted.

Winters: Thank you. Thank my teammates. And thank you, RIT. I love you!

[Image: n3zFY.jpg]
Winters shown saluting to the fans following his final game last season.

Code:
943 words / 4 images

Two fun facts!

1) This is the first photoshopping I've done for a media article (jersey name in the last pick)

2) I'm very much in that picture of the RIT crowd. That was after the best game I've ever witnessed.

beauty, good luck and great read Smile

Congrats Winters

[Image: 0QGickG.png]

Riot Player Page Riot
Militia Update Page Militia

Welcome aboard! Cheers

I am looking forward to working with you!

GO Knights !

Interview Care to rank the SHL starters?

Payment:

Word Count: 960
Thoroughness/Professionalism: 8.5/10
Interest: 9/10
Form: 9/10

Payment: 550k

Comments: Good read Cheers Congrats on getting drafted and under Heiss I'm sure you'll do great. Maybe you can come to Manhattan next year and be his backup Tongue

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Knights

REPRESENT US ALUMNI :D

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]