Create Account

Jackson Spruill gives Firebirds a discount

Jackson Spruill, the 14th overall selection in this season's NWJHL entry draft, signed his entry-level contract today with the Prince George Firebirds. He'd already been training and practicing with the team, and an announcement was expected. What wasn't expected was the result.

[Image: htVP229C_J5m.jpg]
Two die-hard Firebirds fans discuss Jackson Spruill's contract

Spruill's $1.2M deal is definitely more money than he's ever seen. He grew up on the outskirts of Buffalo, and his parents could barely afford to pay for his hockey. But, experts say, it's not even as much as he could have gotten. "If you look at his comparables - the players taken right around his draft position," says one analyst, "he left about $300K on the table." Other experts agree. "I don't know what OCAirlines and Raymond3000 told him," noted a rival GM who spoke on condition of anonymity. "He took about a 20% discount."

[Image: GMweb-350x250.jpg]
Another GM signs a draft pick around Spruill's selection to a contract worth $300K more than Spruill's

Jackson held a press conference this afternoon to discuss his signing and future role with the team.

Q: First of all, congratulations for signing your first NWJHL contract. Was the process anything like you expected?
A: Thanks! I'm honored to be a Prince George Firebird. I'll tell ya - David [Firebirds co-GM OCAirlines] made it really easy. He put an offer on the table that I liked, so I signed it.

Q: What made you decide to take a discount? You had to know that other players who were selected around you had signed for more than you did.
A: Yes, I was aware of other contracts. There were a few reasons I decided to sign the contract I was offered. One, I've always been a team-first guy. The Firebirds just took a chance and committed to me as a player, and I feel like I owe them for that. Now's as good a time to start giving back as any. Two, it had to do with the comparables. Emma [Watson, who was selected 5th overall this year by the Firebirds] signed for $1.5M. I didn't feel right taking as much as her.

Q: That's great. It's always nice to have a kid come in with his head on straight. What has your role been on the team so far?
A: Haha [chuckles]. I appreciate it, but haven't even played a game yet. Let's hold the praise until I do something good on the ice. As for my role so far, I've been working with the second forward line, as well as the second power play and first penalty kill unit. I like to think of myself as a good defensive player, so it's a big honor for me to make the first PK unit already. I'm looking forward to contributing in any way I can, though.

Q: You're already a great defensive player, but some concerns were expressed before the draft about your offensive production at Hutchinson [Central Technical High School]. Is that an area of focus for you and the coaches?
A: So far, we've been working on mostly physical aspects of the game - conditioning, strength, that sort of thing. But we plan to focus heavily on my puck skills in the near future.

Q: What are your statistical expectations for yourself this season?
A: Well, I don't think I'll be scoring 50. Haha. If I can get into double digits in goals, and 20 assists, I'll be happy. I'll be honest, I'm just excited to be a Firebird right now. Once hockey starts, I'll have a lot better idea of what I can get done.

Q: Do you have any team goals this season?
A: We all have one goal, and that's a championship. That's what we're working toward. We're not happy with last season's results, and we want more. With Ask in net, a solid rookie class, and our returning veterans, we have a team that we think can compete with anybody.

Q: Is that a guarantee?
A: The only thing I'll guarantee is that I'll work my ass off every day for this team and this community. The rest will take care of itself.

Payment:

Word Count: 693
Professionalism/Thoroughness: 8.5/10
Interest: 8.5/10
Form: 8.5/10

Payment: 350k

Comments: Good read Cheers next time format your interview using this Interview as it helps distinguish between questions and answers Smile

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers