Create Account

NWJHL Player Rights

Hey,

I wanted to make a suggestion regarding player rights in the juniors. Basically, I'd like to propose that a NWJHL-team would hold the right to a player they drafted throughout his entire NWJHL-career from now on. So if a player got drafted to the SHL but then got sent down in his Rookie-season, he would be joining his old team instead of going to the affiliate of the SHL-team.

In my opinion this would bring a wide rage of benefits to this league. Players would have a deeper sense of connection with their NWJHL-team because they wouldn't just play there for one season and then for another junior-team next season, if they are sent down. It would make the job more interesting for NWJHL-GMs because they wouldn't have to draft with just next season in mind, but also thinking 2-3 years into the future. But while being more challenging it would also make it easier for GMs to plan how they want to build their teams, because they wouldn't have to rely on getting lucky with send-downs, but have full control over their roster by knowing that a player who they just drafted will still be on the team next season, if he doesn't make the SHL in his first season after being drafted. Some uncertainty obviously still remains, but way less than GMs have right now, and I think this system would reward competent GMs more than the current one. On top of that it would even the playing-field because it would eliminate the big random factor of send-downs, where one team could be lucky and ending up with multiple 250+ TPE players while another team got none. With the new system every send-down would be a player that the NWJHL-team actually drafted, so it wouldn't be as random anymore. Obviously luck would still play a role, because nobody knows beforehand if a player makes his SHL-team in his first year or not, some teams will keep an 250 TPE player up and others will send him down. But it would be way less random than the current system where the NWJHL-teams have no influence at all on who gets sent down to them, asides from maybe a few inactives they might ask the SHL-GMs to sign for them.

Of course there are also some possible negative factors about this change, but I personally think that they are pretty small. The affiliation-system would lose much of its importance and might become irrelevant altogether, which I don't think is much of a problem, but which some people still might not like. It would also take away a bit from the clean-slate approach that the NWJHL has been taking so far, where each NWJHL-team has basically been starting all over with a whole new team each season, which allowed for different favorites each year and made sure that mistakes made by a GM wouldn't have consequences for more than a season. But I don't think this would be much of a problem as well because in reality teams have never really started on the same level each and every season, there have always teams blessed with more send-downs than others, so even though everyone got to draft a new team each seasons, there have still been pretty clear favorites and underdogs pretty much from day one most of the time. So I think the positives far outweigh the possible problems Smile

Please let me know what you think about this idea Smile

Cheers, David Cheers

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Love this idea, simply fantastic and I agree whole.heartedly

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

I've thought that should happen regardless, and I think Alumni should retain some LR permissions for their Junior team as well(could help increase draft class output if there were more people posting in LR's giving advice to the newbs as soon as they ask for it, I know Montreal's LR was rather dead for a while, I could imagine that being a reason some players get scared off).

But as to your idea specifically, I love it.

Only issue I see is for teams calling up and sending down players for each player.

If I got sent down when I was acquired by Toronto... I would have been returned to Vancouver and then Toronto would have had to recall someone from Montreal ... Neat idea but I can see a lot of headaches with this. The current system at least lets GMs always be a factor in consistency where 1 call up would equal one send down... If we did this idea then the NWJHL GMs would want to be able to trade the send down jr rights which they cannot do now.

C - Kenji Yoshimura  Panthers Kenji Yoshimura Updates Panthers
[Image: BigTittySmitty5.gif]

Code:
Credit to Wasty and Steelhead for the sigs - thanks dudes!

Ilike

This would be great, I would like if I could play in my NWJHL team as a sent down too, so I think this is great idea.

Quote:Originally posted by DaveSmith@Apr 10 2013, 10:06 AM
Only issue I see is for teams calling up and sending down players for each player.

If I got sent down when I was acquired by Toronto... I would have been returned to Vancouver and then Toronto would have had to recall someone from Montreal ... Neat idea but I can see a lot of headaches with this. The current system at least lets GMs always be a factor in consistency where 1 call up would equal one send down... If we did this idea then the NWJHL GMs would want to be able to trade the send down jr rights which they cannot do now.

Not really, you could only recall players that you have drafted, sort of like the NHL. You would basically eliminate the PDC in favor of letting the NWJHL be the NWJHL.

It would probably make GMing more fun, having a small say in who you have year by year, and would make it feel more "franchise" ish.

I like this idea.

Quote:Originally posted by RehnX@Apr 10 2013, 04:09 PM

Not really, you could only recall players that you have drafted, sort of like the NHL.  You would basically eliminate the PDC in favor of letting the NWJHL be the NWJHL.

It would probably make GMing more fun, having a small say in who you have year by year, and would make it feel more "franchise" ish.

Yeah like Rehn said this shouldn't be much of a problem. If you are Toronto you wouldn't get to recall players from Montreal, you would get to recall every player whose right you acquired in the Draft, no matter where you send him down to, be it Vancouver, Kelowna, Prince George, Montreal, Chicago or Detroit Smile. Just like a real NHL-team, whose prospects are stashed all over the CHL (obviously there are not call-ups from the CHL but I think you get my point).

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard

Quote:Originally posted by RehnX@Apr 10 2013, 11:09 AM

Not really, you could only recall players that you have drafted, sort of like the NHL.  You would basically eliminate the PDC in favor of letting the NWJHL be the NWJHL.

It'd change the way teams are done....

I get sent down to Vancouver..... probability states my replacement would come from one of the other 5 teams. Team A has a defence injury and needs to call up Player 1 from Team A. The SHL team has extra forwards and will send down Player 2 Forward to Team B. This will mess up Team A and Team B may not need that extra forward depending on the team.

If we gonna be creating this kind of situation we may as well be allowed to trade the since if Team B has extra forwards (because of the demotion of Player 2 and Team C has extra defence because of a demotion from Team 3 then it can create a mess and it would just create confusion in updates imo... At least imo the PDC gives NWJHL teams one SHL team to deal with instead of dealing with potentially 12 teams.

This whole thing screams potential headache with how the league is set up.

Code:

Quote:Originally posted by OcAirlines@Apr 10 2013, 11:15 AM

Yeah like Rehn said this shouldn't be much of a problem. If you are Toronto you wouldn't get to recall players from Montreal, you would get to recall every player whose right you acquired in the Draft, no matter where you send him down to, be it Vancouver, Kelowna, Prince George, Montreal, Chicago or Detroit Smile. Just like a real NHL-team, whose prospects are stashed all over the CHL (obviously there are not call-ups from the CHL but I think you get my point).

NHL they call up from their affiliates Smile

example --> Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) --> Toronto Marlies (AHL) --> Reading Royals (ECHL)

Only time a jr prospect comes up is 1) They make the team 2) The CHL team is eliminated from the playoffs and can be brought into the system (their time is over with the CHL club).

Only time a player gets called up outside these circumstances is with the Emergency Call up which is 1-2 games which only hurts 1 CHL club... This is a rarely used exception in the NHL... Last player I believe was emergency called-up was Nazem kadri a few years ago.

-----------------------------------------------

And with how the NWJHL and SHL sims work it'd really slow down simming since it'd take time to get everything updated in both leagues since I believe 2 seasons ago there was a Westbrook incident in Toronto that both leagues did not know about... This screams more potential for these type of situations to fall through the cracks .

Code:

I don't like it, to be honest. It makes us a lot more VHL-like, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But really, there's some tradition in the PDC's. I have ALWAYS thought of the :impact: as "the :northstars: farm team." You would lose a lot of that with this system. I agree with what was said earlier, though, about players keeping their original NWJHL team's LR.

Good idea, keeps actual team spirit going in the NWJHL. I love it :D

Quote:Originally posted by DaveSmith@Apr 10 2013, 04:22 PM

It'd change the way teams are done....

I get sent down to Vancouver..... probability states my replacement would come from one of the other 5 teams. Team A has a defence injury and needs to call up Player 1 from Team A. The SHL team has extra forwards and will send down Player 2 Forward to Team B. This will mess up Team A and Team B may not need that extra forward depending on the team.

If we gonna be creating this kind of situation we may as well be allowed to trade the since if Team B has extra forwards (because of the demotion of Player 2 and Team C has extra defence because of a demotion from Team 3 then it can create a mess and it would just create confusion in updates imo... At least imo the PDC gives NWJHL teams one SHL team to deal with instead of dealing with potentially 12 teams.

This whole thing screams potential headache with how the league is set up.

Obviously NWJHL-teams would still be allowed to trade players... And honestly, how man mid-season call-ups do we even have in the SHL each season? Doesn't feel like it's more than maybe 3-4 players who are actually meaningful.
Besides I think that this would actually mean another fun challenge for NWJHL-GMs. Do you rely on second year players who are superior in skill, but who you risk losing via call-up? Or do you try to build a strong team or Rookies, who might not be there in skill yet but who you can rely on for at least one season, maybe more?
And even though you are right that there are some risks to this, I actually think that the current system isn't even more problematic or unfair. Because some teams end up with a whole bunch of recreates while other have none, which gives them a pretty unfair (dis)advantage right from day one of the season, while the teams themselves have absolutely no influence on who they are getting. They just have to hope that their parent club in the SHL has a lot of picks this season and wants to send some players down.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard

It's funny that you being this idea up. We've been discussing it for a couple of weeks in the commish office.

Quote:Originally posted by DaveSmith@Apr 10 2013, 04:27 PM

NHL they call up from their affiliates Smile

example --> Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) --> Toronto Marlies (AHL) --> Reading Royals (ECHL)

Only time a jr prospect comes up is 1) They make the team 2) The CHL team is eliminated from the playoffs and can be brought into the system (their time is over with the CHL club).

Only time a player gets called up outside these circumstances is with the Emergency Call up which is 1-2 games which only hurts 1 CHL club... This is a rarely used exception in the NHL... Last player I believe was emergency called-up was Nazem kadri a few years ago.

-----------------------------------------------

And with how the NWJHL and SHL sims work it'd really slow down simming since it'd take time to get everything updated in both leagues since I believe 2 seasons ago there was a Westbrook incident in Toronto that both leagues did not know about... This screams more potential for these type of situations to fall through the cracks .

I was talking about call-ups from the CHL, not the AHL. The NWJHL as we have it right now is pretty much a mixture of an AHL/CHL-season, with the change I suggested it would move a bit more towards the CHL, while obviously still having some AHL-elements (recalls...).

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard