Create Account

Ideas/Suggestions to Improve the SHL

Quote:Originally posted by jkrever@Apr 12 2013, 01:16 AM

often we don't come to a definitive conclusion that soon though. it's not all cut-and-dried. some issues just get moved below others in terms of priority and they get re-visited later.

I don't think anyone will have a problem if you guys take some time to discuss a topic at length, as long as they know that it IS being looked into. But sometimes you don't have this impression, be it warranted or not.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Wadester@Apr 11 2013, 07:19 PM

For me it's just disorganized to the eye. This may be something that only I feel and if it is that way I'm sorry but I think each team could have their own section in which each person has their own banking thread in which they can keep track of their own funds. For me it's just all really ugly and the team threads get bumped over the main threads since they get posted in more. Not on the page, just in the section.

I think each team having a banking section in their team's section would be much more organized.

Then all that would be in the bank is the main threads.

I'm sorry, but no thread gets bumped over other threads and pushes anything off the page. I don't understand that criticism. Each team does have their own thread in the separate sections for the conferences. It is much easier on the bankers to have them lumped like that since each banker handles two teams. Moving the banking threads to the team sections makes more work. Also, players should not be in charge of keeping track of their own bank. It opens too many doors to cheating.

Quote:Originally posted by OcAirlines@Apr 11 2013, 07:20 PM

I don't think anyone will have a problem if you guys take some time to discuss a topic at length, as long as they know that it IS being looked into. But sometimes you don't have this impression, be it warranted or not.
well what we can do then is organize a weekly discussion/chat that will commence at the same time every week, and the league will update everyone on what we're discussing and how things are going.

He just wants reassurance Krever, if it's something we can do that can stop issues like these ones, like I posted earlier in the thread I will take this into my own hands and just give little updates and tidbits if that's what makes people in the league feel more comfortable. A little sweat off all our backs is a good thing.

[Image: ArmiaJr.png]

Quote:Originally posted by jkrever@Apr 12 2013, 01:23 AM

well what we can do then is organize a weekly discussion/chat that will commence at the same time every week, and the league will update everyone on what we're discussing and how things are going.

Sounds like a great idea! I hope that it doesn't replace the suggestion box, but is more of an extra channel of communication and if it's meant like that, it would be a great addition Smile

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard

There's been lots of turmoil and we need to get members and commishes in harmony again, being straight up honest with each other is a start.

Quote:Originally posted by OcAirlines@Apr 11 2013, 07:24 PM

Sounds like a great idea! I hope that it doesn't replace the suggestion box, but is more of an extra channel of communication  and if it's meant like that, it would be a great addition Smile

Something to add to the suggestion box is more like it.

Quote:Originally posted by Wadester@Apr 11 2013, 07:23 PM
He just wants reassurance Krever, if it's something we can do that can stop issues like these ones, like I posted earlier in the thread I will take this into my own hands and just give little updates and tidbits if that's what makes people in the league feel more comfortable. A little sweat off all our backs is a good thing.
well why don't you make a weekly routine of summarizing the discussion that's going on in the commissioner's office?

another thing I wanted to do but it hasn't happened yet unfortunately is make seasonal goals and make them public.

basically the biggest issues that threaten the league and what we're doing to deal with it.

in my mind, the biggest topics have been:

1. Getting a new forum and building the league's brand

2. Attracting new members

3. Player progression (which I've worked hard to make-over this past off-season as we now have a consistent yearly plan with a lot of transparency)

4. Player builds/TPE scale

5. Expansion (is expansion possible in the future, and what kind of numbers would we need to achieve to get there? obviously to me we are a long way off but it's good to set a goal because I believe expansion is a sign of good health and if we have enough members to expand it means we're booming).

Quote:Originally posted by jkrever@Apr 11 2013, 07:28 PM

well why don't you make a weekly routine of summarizing the discussion that's going on in the commissioner's office?

another thing I wanted to do but it hasn't happened yet unfortunately is make seasonal goals and make them public.

basically the biggest issues that threaten the league and what we're doing to deal with it.

3. Player progression (which I've worked hard to make-over this past off-season as we now have a consistent yearly plan with a lot of transparency)

5. Expansion (is expansion possible in the future, and what kind of numbers would we need to achieve to get there? obviously to me we are a long way off but it's good to set a goal because I believe expansion is a sign of good health and if we have enough members to expand it means we're booming).

Yeah I'm probably going to do something like that where we discuss new suggestions and I can give updates on the ones currently being discussed etc.

The league has lost it's way a bit and we need to get back on track. There's tons that needs to be improved and continue to be improved. If the member's feel they need to see more of the goings on behind the scenes so be it, I liked back when we voted in the off-season on rule changes and issues as a league and such, that was when we actually got some real progress.

if the league has a common goal to work towards it will make a major difference.

Quote:Originally posted by jkrever@Apr 11 2013, 07:28 PM

I think rather than a chat, a thread only the Commishes can post in with a quick rundown of what is currently on the table, which of them are actively being talked about that week, and which ones have been passed on would be plenty.

For player to player money transfers we need a code of conduct in place. A lot of the time these things are posted in both bank threads and that can lead to double withdrawals/deposits. I know my last time having to do one I contacted the other banker, just to make sure we both didn't do it, but I think we need to enforce that only the paying party posts.

Armada pride Armada pride Armada pride Armada pride

[Image: Q4Adkgo.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Wadester@Apr 11 2013, 07:29 PM

Yeah I'm probably going to do something like that where we discuss new suggestions and I can give updates on the ones currently being discussed etc.

The league has lost it's way a bit and we need to get back on track. There's tons that needs to be improved and continue to be improved.
Yeah but these need to be concrete, like a mandate. Every company does this. The NHL has one. It's a list of top priorities to help ensure the health and survival of the league. They're like millennium goals. Longer-term things, you know?

May I ask a quick question about another topic? What's your current position on minimum contracts? Because this is a topic where the last thing I heard was that you were discussing it, but that already was quite some time ago... Are you still talking about it or have you decided to put it on hold/not implement it for now (I guess the latter, but just want to make sure).

Good to see that we are making some progress in this topic by the way Smile

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard

Quote:Originally posted by Keenan@Apr 11 2013, 07:31 PM
For player to player money transfers we need a code of conduct in place. A lot of the time these things are posted in both bank threads and that can lead to double withdrawals/deposits. I know my last time having to do one I contacted the other banker, just to make sure we both didn't do it, but I think we need to enforce that only the paying party posts.

Another problem is that even with the rules for banking posted, people rarely follow them. It is clear that players are not to post their contract deposits. Instead the just link the contract thread and say, "deposit this." Also, it seems nobody lets anyone know when they change their username. I made that rule because people should be able to change their username whenever they want, but it's a pain on the bankers when things are constantly changing.

My biggest problem is that the bank works both ways. The bankers can try really hard to keep things right in there - if you don't post to move your player to your new team, you're likely not to get moved - but if the other members make it more difficult, things are gonna be sloppy. I have done a lot of work this week when teams deposit contracts to move players to the right teams, move players with no contract to FA, and just get everything squared away. I can't double check every deposit, withdrawal, or transfer because if I were gonna do that I would just do all the banking myself. I would also demand I get paid like $10m a season in that case, with a bonus for fixing all the things that players are supposed to be responsible for but ignore.

The bankers can only do so much.