Create Account

Ideas/Suggestions to Improve the SHL

Hi Wadey,

First off I think you do a commendable job in running this place and people should understand how much of your own personal time you put into this site Cheers

Just a few comments on the 3 issues you described:

Player Updates:
The league is competitive by nature. This means that it is important for all teams to be placed on equal footing and updates play a huge role in this. There definitely has to be more onus on the updaters and they need to make sure that if they can't do their updates for a given week they need to contact the back up updater to make sure it is done.

I know when Taron was an updater he posted an updater schedule in the team thread stating when the update for the given week will be made. Perhaps make this a requirement for all updaters as it gives this a greater sense of responsibility and helps monitor whether they are doing their job or slacking off. If the update isn't done relatively close to this scheduled date then the backup updater can go in and do it without having to wait for commish approval first (we know you guys are very busy).

There are pretty of members who don't have jobs who I'm sure will jump at these opportunities if someone is not doing them adequately.

Bank
I personally don't have any complaints here and I think Tim Bisley has done a phenomenal job and the bank is in a much better state than it was when I joined.

The only problem I see has to do with the rate of media payouts. People get frustrated that they can't train when they should be able to due to the 3 articles they have written just waiting to be graded.

Hiring more graders would be great here and once again give more members jobs which would keep them more active in the league. I know having a job has helped me become more active as it gave me something to do other than sitting around and waiting.

Recruiting
Now this is a big one that I am not entirely sure about. The problem may be that when we do the recruitment drive there is not a lot going on to keep juniors interested. They are told to just wait for the draft and write media in the mean time. The WJC and prospect tournament are vital for this but it is essential that they start on time.

I think the site layout may be a factor as well. When I first joined I wasn't too impressed and the site didn't particularly capture my eye. Perhaps this is a limitation of Jcink but something that should be addressed in the new domain. By adding scoring leaders, standings, and other tickers it would make the site look much more intriguing. People may visit the site but if they look at it and aren't drawn in they won't make an account. I only created an account on my second visit when I was really bored and had nothing better to do it. So making a good first impression is huge! Make this look more like the well-designed sim site that it is.

I know another issue new members have complained about is the lack of things sticking to when they are supposed to happen. If we say there media will be graded on this day and it isn't it looks bad on us. This is where hiring more graders comes in!

Sorry this is so long :wub:

[Image: 60354_s.gif  ]
[Image: 1yZYUXK.gif]
Sig Credits: Gorlab and Kylrad

Quote:Originally posted by Pjaney@Apr 11 2013, 10:41 PM
Hi Wadey,

First off I think you do a commendable job in running this place and people should understand how much of your own personal time you put into this site  Cheers

Just a few comments on the 3 issues you described:

[b]Player Updates:

The league is competitive by nature. This means that it is important for all teams to be placed on equal footing and updates play a huge role in this. There definitely has to be more onus on the updaters and they need to make sure that if they can't do their updates for a given week they need to contact the back up updater to make sure it is done.

I know when Taron was an updater he posted an updater schedule in the team thread stating when the update for the given week will be made. Perhaps make this a requirement for all updaters as it gives this a greater sense of responsibility and helps monitor whether they are doing their job or slacking off. If the update isn't done relatively close to this scheduled date then the backup updater can go in and do it without having to wait for commish approval first (we know you guys are very busy).

There are pretty of members who don't have jobs who I'm sure will jump at these opportunities if someone is not doing them adequately. 

Bank
I personally don't have any complaints here and I think Tim Bisley has done a phenomenal job and the bank is in a much better state than it was when I joined.

The only problem I see has to do with the rate of media payouts. People get frustrated that they can't train when they should be able to due to the 3 articles they have written just waiting to be graded.

Hiring more graders would be great here and once again give more members jobs which would keep them more active in the league. I know having a job has helped me become more active as it gave me something to do other than sitting around and waiting.

Recruiting
Now this is a big one that I am not entirely sure about. The problem may be that when we do the recruitment drive there is not a lot going on to keep juniors interested. They are told to just wait for the draft and write media in the mean time. The WJC and prospect tournament are vital for this but it is essential that they start on time.

I think the site layout may be a factor as well. When I first joined I wasn't too impressed and the site didn't particularly capture my eye. Perhaps this is a limitation of Jcink but something that should be addressed in the new domain. By adding scoring leaders, standings, and other tickers it would make the site look much more intriguing. People may visit the site but if they look at it and aren't drawn in they won't make an account. I only created an account on my second visit when I was really bored and had nothing better to do it. So making a good first impression is huge! Make this look more like the well-designed sim site that it is.

I know another issue new members have complained about is the lack of things sticking to when they are supposed to happen. If we say there media will be graded on this day and it isn't it looks bad on us. This is where hiring more graders comes in!

Sorry this is so long :wub:[/b]

I think the comments on the recruitment drive are spot on. I wish I could remember what my rookie season was like. I also think that if we aren't going to follow a schedule, we should put one up with specific dates on it. A list of upcoming things with no dates would work, then just cross them off as we hit them.