Create Account

Ask a GM: Part 11

Yes folks, the much anticipated, highly exciting "ASK A GM" is back for it's 11th edition!

For the young ins out there, this works much like a regular press conference, but it entails the SHL as a whole, not just the Jets. This includes league rules, controversial events in the league, whatever your heart desires.

The rules are simple: I have to answer every question truthfully (which I always do in these things), but do not goat me into tampering because it won't happen jack.

Now, without further ado, commence...

ASK A GM: PART 11

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 78
48-15-3
Regular Season - [G 6] [A 31] [Pts 37] [+/- +39] [PIM 42] [Hits 66] [SB 128]
Playoffs - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

is this a league built for scorers? Or can a defensive based player contribute enough to his team to make them champions?

Interview Most shocking move in the League this offseason?

Interview What team took the biggest step forward and which team took the biggest step back?

Interview What team do you think benefits most from the new Regression system?

Interview Overall what were your thoughts on this Draft compared to seasons past? Was it weaker or stronger than many believed? Biggest bust or breakout star that the League should keep an eye on?

Interview This season's Free Agency was incredibly weak, while next season's is incredibly strong. What additional challenges does this pose for GMs?

[Image: 0QGickG.png]

Riot Player Page Riot
Militia Update Page Militia

Quote:Originally posted by lere2001@Feb 24 2014, 03:50 PM
is this a league built for scorers? Or can a defensive based player contribute enough to his team to make them champions?

I'd say you can't win in this league without at least a couple of solid defensive players. I've always been a fan of shut-down defenders and the role they play. Maybe it's because it's the opposite of how my player plays, but they are the pieces that bring a team together. Scorers are always going to get the most attention, but unsung heroes will always be the players who save their teams asses on any given night.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 78
48-15-3

Let's get it out of the way since we know it's coming.

Interview What do you think of Alex Smirnov?

Onto the actual ones.

Interview Projection for Winnipeg this season?
Interview League skipped regression this season. Good or bad decision?
Interview Trade day... Boom or bust?

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Quote:Originally posted by lere2001@Feb 24 2014, 03:50 PM

Interview Follow up question : Do shutdown defenders have value in the SHL or do you have to be a point scorer to be a top pairing defender? And can you explain why there are so few defensive forwards in the SHL?

[Image: 0QGickG.png]

Riot Player Page Riot
Militia Update Page Militia

I asked this I think 2 seasons ago and there's been a lot of turnover since then, who do you think are the top-5 goalies in the SHL?

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Quote:Originally posted by malcontentcapsfan@Feb 24 2014, 03:52 PM
Interview Most shocking move in the League this offseason?

Interview What team took the biggest step forward and which team took the biggest step back?

Interview  What team do you think benefits most from the new Regression system?

Interview Overall what were your thoughts on this Draft compared to seasons past? Was it weaker or stronger than many believed? Biggest bust or breakout star that the League should keep an eye on?

Interview This season's Free Agency was incredibly weak, while next season's is incredibly strong. What additional challenges does this pose for GMs?

1. Krever stepping down as GM and Maxy being named new GM. My heart sunk a little when I heard Krever wouldn't be GM anymore. We've been through this since the beginning and for me it really hit home when he stepped down. Also, the trade to bring Maxy to Toronto was quite big as well. Brovalchuk is a stud and the Platoon added a huge piece.

2. I think most of the top teams from last season either stayed the course so I'm going to say Manhattan and Minnesota really added some strong pieces to help with their rebuild. The Blizzard are going to lose a lot of great players from their roster after this season and it's never easy to replace that many players right away. I'm sure Tez will be just fine though.

3. Whatever team has the most old players. It's really that simple. Also, since I was up for regression in the old system, it helped me out because I avoid it for a couple of seasons.

4. It wasn't the longest draft we've ever had, but there were some strong prospects for the first 2 rounds. There wasn't much gap between picks and a team could of grabbed a stud wherever they were picking. HFFO will always be a bust candidate to me Tongue
As for breakout star, look out for Jamers Both from Winnipeg. He's always learning the tricks of the trade and wants to know the best ways to train his guy. He seems very dedicated to becoming a top player. Also, Gustav Grimm. I don't know, but there's something about that goalie that I can't shake. He stands out to me.

5. Free Agency is always a challenge. You want your team to be attractive for players and also want to make sure you have the wiggle room in your budget for situations like free agency. I think a strong crop of free agents is a good thing for the league because it's an exciting way to shift power between leagues. Looking forward to next off-season.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 78
48-15-3

If an SHL Fantasy pool was introduced (Fantasy pool and the players involved are all players from the SHL, SMJHL) who would be the top goalie, forward and defenseman?

Akashi SixNine Jr. Updates

Thoughts on the SMJHL draft? Who got the biggest steal? Who will be the biggest bust?

Quote:Originally posted by #WEAREWINTER@Feb 24 2014, 03:54 PM
Let's get it out of the way since we know it's coming.

Interview What do you think of Alex Smirnov?

Onto the actual ones.

Interview  Projection for Winnipeg this season?
Interview League skipped regression this season.  Good or bad decision?
Interview  Trade day... Boom or bust?

I think nothing of Alex Smirnov because he's gone.

1. I always believe that my team can contend. Call it homerism or a big ego, but I'm a firm believer that if the players continue working and train throughout the whole season, the team can be successful. There's a lot of strong teams out there so it's going to be a challenge.

2. Good decision just to make everything nice and clean for the new system. Also, helps my player so I'm all for it.

3. I like Trade Day actually. The people who hate on it just do it because it's an SHL thing to do. We all love Trade Deadline day in real life and this is the closest we get to mimicking that here. Just enjoy it and stop being so critical about it.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 78
48-15-3

Quote:Originally posted by malcontentcapsfan@Feb 24 2014, 03:55 PM

Interview Follow up question : Do shutdown defenders have value in the SHL or do you have to be a point scorer to be a top pairing defender? And can you explain why there are so few defensive forwards in the SHL?

As you can see from my answer to that question, to me they definitely have value. You need balance on your team, but when you find a strong shut down defender, you hang onto them for dear life.

It's not as flashy on the stat sheet, simple as that. People want to see their name and have people talk about their accomplishments. It's human nature and I completely understand it.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 78
48-15-3

Quote:Originally posted by JayWhy75@Feb 24 2014, 03:58 PM
I asked this I think 2 seasons ago and there's been a lot of turnover since then, who do you think are the top-5 goalies in the SHL?

Aittokallio
Verminski
Prikulis
FourFour
Ask

You may scoff at Prikulis, but he's doing a bang up job with the defenders that are in front of him. Helstrom and Uppercut can't do everything on the blue line.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 78
48-15-3

Want me to get you WWE network?

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by HawksFan19@Feb 24 2014, 04:03 PM
If an SHL Fantasy pool was introduced (Fantasy pool and the players involved are all players from the SHL, SMJHL) who would be the top goalie, forward and defenseman?

Jakub Aittokallio
Jordan Nugent-Hall
Willie Weber

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 78
48-15-3