Create Account

Pt. 2 Power Rankings: Preseason

In the second round of the preseason power rankings we look at the bottom half of the SHL, with two playoff spots up for grabs who will be the remaining teams to capture those coveted spots.

7. Dragons Calgary Dragons: Dragons
Last season the Dragons finished 3rd in the west ahead of the eventual SHL Champs, that will not happen again this season. They will still finish in a playoff spot, they have a good active roster with arguably the best goalie in the league a top defender in the league and a ton of great secondary scoring. There are going to be few offensive stars on the Dragons this season, Kari Barkov may be the lone star to reach the point per game mark, but scoring by committee will be how the Dragons will beat you.

Players to Watch:
Jesse Jacek-Kix – Without Lehner on the Dragons a big spot has opened up on the Dragon offense and JJK could take it.
Logan Valentine – A huge addition during the off season, should could do for the Dragons what Parthow does for the Renegades and lead the team in scoring.
Mike Verminski – If the Dragons are going to repeat their success from last season they need a repeat performance from their star netminder.

8. Riot Seattle Riot Riot
Last season they were on the outside looking in, this season they could slip all the way up into third place in the West. With the emergence of Dustin Rose as the new number one goalie and an influx of young talent this team could surprise a few people. Before you write them off remember they have one of the best forwards in the league with Chris McZehrl, this is something teams 6 and 7 lack and that alone could boost them a few spots in the standings. The West looks to be a wild one this year as it is anyone’s game.

Players to Watch:
Chris McZehrl – You and I both know anything can happen when McZehrl is on the ice he hits, fights, scores goals and kicks people in the face.
Snowden Manning – With few players challenging for forward roster position Manning could find himself on the top line riding with McZehrl.
Dustin Rose – All eyes will be on Rose as a lot of the success of the Riot will hinge on how well he plays.

9. Platoon West Kendal Platoon Platoon
The Platoon just squeeze into 9th place but they better watch their back as the teams below them are improving they have regressed a little, maybe even took a full step backwards this year. I know they have Armin Brovalchuk, Emma Watson, and Julien Marshall a solid top line to lead their offense, Jim Lahey and John Grossman on defense and James Reimer in net. But the losses to defense to retirement will be difficult for the Platoon to overcome. Three of their top 5 defenders left this off season leaving a major hole to be filled. With the exception of Lahey and Grossman no one remaining is a top 4 defender on the team.

Players to Watch:
Armin Brovalchuk – The big three on offense need to win games for the Platoon if they are going to get into the playoffs.
John Grossman – You are not going to see a lot of points from Grossman, but he is going to eat a lot of hard minutes this season and push opponents around a lot.
James Reimer – The second big trade by the Platoon this season brings in a new goalie to lead the team. This will be the first year that Reimer is really tested without the talent the Hawks had in front of him.

10. Jets Winnipeg Jets Jets
In some ways it is unfair to the Jets that they play in the West, if they were in the East they might be playing for a playoff spot, with the weak competition on the bottom half of the standings. In the West the Jets finish last, but they are building a hell of a roster that will be competing for a playoff spot and soon. With one of the best goalies in the league, one of the best defenders in the league and a solid group of forwards the team is on the rise. Bad news they don’t make the playoffs, good news they get another great draft pick for this already impressive group of young talent.

Players to Watch:
Lance Uppercut – Lead the team in points last season and is poised to do the same again this year.
Maxim Hovart – Last year’s first overall pick had a decent but unspectacular rookie season, expect a big break out year this time.
Terry Bullis – lead the team in goals last season and is the front runner to do it again this year.

11. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs Chiefs
I am giving the Chiefs a slight nod over the Rage, they both are about in the same place during their rebuild, but the Chiefs offense is looking a little better than the Rage. They also own one of the best goalies in the league with Edwin Ask and he along can win a lot of games for the Chiefs. If Ask is off his game the Chiefs are in some trouble as their roster is filled with secondary scorers and bottom 4 defenders. A work in progress the Chiefs will struggle this season to get out of the bottom feeder range.

Players to Watch:
Edwin Ask – The success and failure to the team will be based on how he plays as they don’t have a superstar beyond ask to rely on.
Ja’Far Dar – The team’s leading scorer last season will not see a large increase in points as he doesn’t have the support other teams have.
Tom Sawyer – A hell of a rookie season sees Tom taking another step forward, the question is how big of a step can he take?

12. Rage Manhattan Rage Rage
It pains me to say the Rage sit at the bottom of the Power Rankings, but the team is not built to win just yet. They have the building blocks in place now they just need a little time to develop their players. This season will be the third (?) season the Rage will sit at the bottom of the standings. Now all things considered the Rage could pull off a few upsets along the way, they are not making it easy to score against them, and that will be the way they will win the majority of their games. The Defense on the Rage is not half bad, and a solid option in net with Bobrovsky and Slade means the team could pull a surprise or two and even climb out of the East basement. COULD…

Players to Watch:
Sergei Bobrovsky – Needs to play lights out hockey to keep Sam Slade out of his net, he has the ability helping the Rage to an unforeseen 6 game winning streak last season.
Arthur Grosberg – The best forward option on the Rage needs to take a step forward if they are going to compete this year for a playoff spot.
Ondrej Ravchitikov – Currently is a Chris Partow lite type player, he lead the Rage in offense last season can he do it one more time this year?

There you have it the Preseason rankings for the league. As always anything can happen during the year, suspensions, injury, or trades; throw in the randomness of the simulator and any team can wind up on the top of the standings. Good luck to all the teams next season!

Final Rankings:
Blizzard
Wolfpack
Stars
Panthers
Steelhawks
Renegades
Dragons
Riot
Platoon
Jets
Chiefs
Rage

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Blizzard

[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

West is so competitive

Get it done Edmonton.

im not a player to watch? :o i thought i was ure fav spidey :(

[Image: cuffana.png]

Time to shine underdogs

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Toast@Feb 25 2014, 04:24 PM
Time to shine underdogs
Or crash and burn Tongue

[Image: oPVEBnn.png]
Credit to Wasty
[Image: wolfpack3.png]
Credit to Sulovilen

Quote:Originally posted by Cuffy@Feb 25 2014, 02:20 PM
im not a player to watch? :o i thought i was ure fav spidey :(
Cuff was lol.

Lets see what next week brings.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

I'm like, the only person worth watching on Seattle. Good or bad, you'll get a show.

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

Quote:Originally posted by spidey@Feb 25 2014, 06:35 PM

Cuff was lol.

Lets see what next week brings.
so you dont like Lahey? Crybaby

Quote:Originally posted by Merica@Feb 25 2014, 04:35 PM
I'm like, the only person worth watching on Seattle. Good or bad, you'll get a show.

False, but k.Riot

So Toronto will live without Armin, Armin wont do enough to boost Platoon's losses.

Damn u Spidey!

Armin bring us to cup :ph34r:

Platoon don't have Watson either. Brovalchuk was Watson's replacement Tongue

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Tut will dominate lol dont worry

West Kendall