Create Account

Vancouver Whalers S24 Draft Recap All thirteen rounds...

First Article

The S24 SMJHL Entry Draft has come and gone. From the moment the commissioner stepped up to the podium and declared the draft underway, the Vancouver Whalers had one priority; continue their culture of success. Many analysts have commented that the Whalers have, indeed, achieved their goal of filling their locker room with quality players. From the fourth to the fifty second pick, the Whalers seemed keen on creating a balance of forward and defensive depth, while opting not to draft a goaltender.

Round 1, Pick #4: Zach Hoover - LW

The Whalers kicked off their draft with the fourth overall selection by taking Zach Hoover. Hoover, or Hoov, has been highly touted coming in to the draft for his high hockey IQ, consistent offensive production, and ability to play both ends of the ice on the back check. Not known for being a particularly imposing player, what he lacks in size, he makes up for in heart and determination. When asked about his future role with the organization he responded, "I'm excited to step in and contribute in whatever way I can. I know that nothing is gauranteed and I'm going to make the best of every oppurtunity and show everyone that I can make an impact at this, and the next, level." Many questioned Hoover's ability to continue his production after a dismal showing early on in the S24 Prospect Showcase. After being demoted to the second line, he showed a level of grit and determination that was unparralleled in the tournament. He seemed to be the only Lion who showed up in the elimination round coming one goal short of a hat-trick, as the Lions fell to the Outlaws 3-2. Hoov's draft stock was unaffected following the tournament and he looks to only get better moving forward.

Round 2, Pick #3: Colin Wood - D

After going forward in the first round, the Whalers came into round two with a bigger body in mind. Standing at 6'1" and 174 pounds, the Whalers locked up one of the best blue line prospects in the draft. Colin Wood is a prototypical two-way defenseman whose prowess in his own end of the ice extends in the opposite direction as well. An above average puck handler, his ability to keep the puck in the opponents zone and continue the play had all of the scouts on alert. Wood had his coming out party at the Prospect Showcase alongside Jasper Clayton, who went one pick ahead of Wood to the Falcons. He boasted an impressive 9 points over ten games, putting up 4 goals and 5 assists, and a respectable +6 in differential. He's also studied under some of the finest chefs in the world including Gordon Ramsay, Wolfgang Puck, Emeril Lagasse, and Bobby Flay. He is regarded by teammates, friends, and family alike for his delectable five course meals normally consisting of chilled spring pea soup, smoked salmon crisps, August chopped salad, fig-and-prosciutto flatbreads, and German chocolate cake. When his old linemate Clayton was asked how he felt about Wood going to another team he simply replied, "Good. If he had kept feeding me, you'd have to roll me around the ice."

Round 3, Pick #4: Tomas Jandl - C

A natural in the offensive zone, it seemed as if the hockey Gods were smiling down upon the Whalers when Jandl fell to them in the third round. Draft stock was not a concern to Jandl, “People were saying about how I was going to go here, that I was going to go higher, or lower, I didn’t pay attention to them. What they say doesn’t matter.” Projected to be selected in the first round, Jandl (6’1”, 185 lbs.) is smart, speedy and crafty, and he can succeed both at center and down the wing. With the death of his twin sister still ever-present, Jandl persevered into the draft process. He potted 6 goals and 2 assists in the Prospect Showcase and really shined on the Outlaws’ second line along with Xavier Nemesis and Jonny Safer (Both Undrafted). Showing poise and confidence through the entire tournament, the Whalers see a player who is scratching the surface of his potential. Jandl could prove to be a very smart pick for the Whalers if he continues to work and hard and improve his game.

Round 4, Pick #3: Jack Durden - C

A well rounded player, Durden excels at creating the play in the offensive zone. His pass-first, team-first mentality was what attracted the Whalers to the prospect. A great addition to any locker room, Durden is all about synergy and success. "I'm all about playing with, and for, a team. I want guys in my locker room that are willing to lay down on the ice and take one in the gut if it means we get a breakaway. I want guys who will take the hit to make a pass. I want pies in the face after wins, and fist bumps down the line when we score." Unlike his cousin Tyler, Jack possesses the great ability of staying on the puck and avoiding the hit. His point production in the Prospect Showcase was less than stellar posting 1 goal and 4 assists in the 10 games played. However, on 121 Faceoffs Taken, Durden successfully won 56% of them. If Durden can keep at it and work hard the Whalers are 100% confident he can split the wings on a successful SHL team in the very near future.

Round 5, Pick #4: Geoffrey Allen - RW

A player built from the same mold as Jack Durden, Geoffrey Allen has a big body and a penchant for finding the open man. At 6'2" 200 pounds he has probably stopped growing, and hopes to get stronger and faster despite his large frame. He's projected as a playmaker, but his stat line in the Prospect Showcase would certainly beg to differ. Allen posted 5 goals and 1 assist on the first line while leading the team in goals scored during the tournament, including a short handed game winner. Allen also shared a line with Whalers' first round pick, Zach Hoover, but the two failed to create a good repoire during their time together. Rumblings out of Whalers camp may have these two back on the same line in the SMJHL. While not projected high on a lot of people's draft boards, Allen seemed hopeful about his future in Vancouver, "I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure I'm on the ice 15-20 minutes a game. I've been doing everything possible to ensure that I'm in tip-top shape from a training perspective, and after the draft I can do nothing else but take the next step."

Round 6, Pick #3: Eichel Jordan - D

After selecting three straight forwards, the Whalers opted to select the 5'5" defenseman out of Austria with the best name in the draft. He's been highly criticized for his size but has been extremely optimistic that it will not affect his game, "I've faced adversity my entire life. From the hockey rink to the playground, I've always been put down for my size. I'm here to show everyone that size truly doesn't matter." He was quiet coming into the Prospect Showcase and the draft, but he certainly let his play do the talking. Tallying five assists, he played on the first line with Brian McKrunk (another Whalers draftee) for the tournament champion Blazers. Jordan plans to keep his recent success rolling into the SMJHL, with the Whalers being the biggest benefactor.

Round 7, Pick #4: Matthew Hebscher - RW

The Whalers decided to take one of Don Cherry's favorite forwards in this draft. The good ol' boy out of Ancaster, Ontario; Matthew Hebscher. Not much is known about Hebscher coming into the draft, with the media airwaves silent and a no show at the prospect tournament. Word from the Whalers' organization is that he is an impeccable passer and able to put the puck on a dime from across the rink. The Whalers have been adamant about adding great team guys like Hebscher and the winger is hoping to contribute to the organization that took a flyer on him in the seventh.

Round 8, Pick #3: Kevin Murphy - C

Murphy came into the SMJHL after getting the snuff in the NHL draft. A player who has been compared to Brian Gionta, Murphy is hoping the SMJHL will be a place he can showcase his talent and prove to the world that he should have been taken by the National Hockey League. A natural scorer, Murphy struggled to get minutes in the Prospect Showcase behind players like Lord Pretty Flacko and Tomas Jandl. He tallied two assists in the tournament, registering an underwhelming on the fourth line. When asked how he felt about the SMJHL, he was certainly candid, "There have been a lot of great players who have gone there and had great careers” Murphy said, “Maybe I can help one of these teams and prove to everyone what kind of player I really am. It’s really about pride and redemption at this point for me.” If pride and redemption is the fuel that fires Murphy, the Whalers are hoping he can help set the opposition on fire.

Round 9, Pick #4: Brian McKrunk - D

Brian McKrunk is the type of player you think of, when you think of big, physical defensemen. Standing at 6'4" he is certainly able to be the anchorman on any teams blue line. A true defensemen, McKrunk is renown for his ability to apply pressure in his own zone and lay the boom. McKrunk is another player who has been quiet coming into the draft as well as the Prospect Showcase. He posted a modest 3 points paired up with another Whalers draftee, Eichel Jordan. McKrunk may just be the steal of the draft if he can hone and perfect his craft in the coming weeks before the season.

Round 10, Pick #3: Setanta Moloney - D

Setanta Moloney is a two-way forward who boasts a very well rounded game. "I always thought that playing two ways would be more beneficial to me as a player, while it's always nice to put up points it's just as important to be able to defend your own end as much as it is to attack the opposing side." A player who models his game after Scott Stevens, Moloney is the quiet type who lets his play on the ice speak for itself. He's always played the foil to himself off of the ice versus on it. Playing on the second defensive pairing for the Stingrays, Moloney posted a goal and two assists, while keeping his goal differential at +3 for the tournament.

Round 11, Pick #4: Mathias Roßberg (Rossberg) - D

The Whalers seem to have a thing for large, two-way defensemen, drafting Mathias Rossberg in the eleventh round. Rossberg stands at 6'3" and 200 pounds at only 16 years of age, a truly impressive specimen who praises his German genetics for his physical gifts. Even with his large frame Rossberg has been praised for his soft hands and his ability to disrupt the play in his own end. He lined up next to Frank Tanker and Jyri Jolo in the Prospect Showcase, logging big minutes, 1 goal, and 4 assists. If he takes the time to develop his strength and improve his footwork, Rossberg will be a force on the back end of a very good Whalers roster.

Round 12, Pick #3: Nugit Hopkins - D

Hopkins superior footwork was overlooked many times by five other teams in this draft. The Whalers identified how agile the defenseman was and took him very late in the draft. Better late than never, my mom used to tell me, and that's what Hopkins will use as motivation moving forward with his hockey career, "Six teams, including the one that drafted me, passed on me eleven times. Am I mad? No. I'm furious. I'm much better than they must believe and I'll fight tooth and nail to prove to everyone what I'm worth!" The Whalers were surprised Hopkins fell this far after a 6 point performance in the Prospect Showcase. They grabbed him in the round before the last, and are extremely excited to see what he has to offer going into training camp.

Round 13, Pick #4: Tyler Drouin - D

"With the final pick of the S24 SMJHL Entry Draft, the Vancouver Whalers select..... Defenseman! Tyler Drouin!" The Whalers capped off the draft by selecting the fifth defenseman in a row. Drouin is a traditional d-man, which seemed to contrast the theme of two-way players that the Whalers management had drafted. Tyler Drouin is a player that is very good at what he does. He's big, he's strong, he's good on his feet, and he's even better in his own end of the ice. A player who is more comfortable clearing bodies out from in front of the crease, the Whalers are confident he will add that needed present to their, already, strong defensive unit. Drouin had a mild performance at the Prospect Showcase with a goal and three assists.

Tyler Drouin was the last player on a long list of rookies that will step into the Whalers locker room looking to make an immediate impact. The Whalers have been a perrennial winner and have the banners and trophies to prove it. The men who don the green and blue should feel honored, nay, priviliged to wear such a prestigious uniform. From the top to the bottom it is a world class organization, with an eye for equivalent talent. Will the S24 draftees live up to their marquee billing? Only time will tell. Until then, we strive to be the best in everything that we do. Both on the ice, and off.

Go Whalers! Whalers Towel

(2,341 Words)

This is all I have to say...

Whalers

Front runner for the first ever RS91 & Jakobsen Scholarship Award? =D>

Noice article

also fuck the falconz

Quote:Originally posted by PieEatingManiac@Jun 10 2015, 10:04 PM
Noice article

also fuck the falconz

Yours was actually my favorite profile to write lol. Looking forward to your cooking in the future.

Quote:Originally posted by PieEatingManiac@Jun 10 2015, 11:04 PM
Noice article

also fuck the falconz
Yeahthat

Whalers

Natural writer lol. I enjoyed reading every bit of this. Go Whalers !

[Image: ZLoVQGU.png]
[Image: M02LOrx.png]

- Profile Page - Update Page -

Awesome write-up!

[Image: OaSEcaw]

Goddamn Whalers stealing all of my Lions.

Ilike

Nice article man! Shows how much work you put into it. Go Whalers

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

Really enjoyed this article! I'm looking forward to this season so much!

Whalers OOOUUGHAAAOUUOGHAGHOOUUOOOO! Whalers