Create Account

Falcons swoop up big names in SMJHL Draft

<div align="center">FALCONS SWOOP UP BIG NAMES IN S28 SMJHL ENTRY DRAFT</div>

While all eyes were on the Halifax Raiders, who not only hosted the event from their hometown at the Scotiabank Centre, but also held the first overall selection (the result of a last minute trade with St. Louis), it was perhaps the Detroit Falcons who stole the show.

After being ousted in the second round of the SMJHL Playoffs by the Montreal Impact (now known as the Militia), the Falcons entered Monday night's draft with a goal in mind - to add a number of impact players to the roster in order to improve on last season's successes. Coming out of the draft with numerous high profile players at every position, they have doubtlessly accomplished just that.

Early on in the draft the Falcons surprised the hockey world when they used their second overall pick to select Tobias Thorvaldsen. While those in attendance let out a collective "who?", those who have followed the young Norwegian's career in his native country were far from shocked.

Much of the surprise, of course, stemmed from the fact that young Thorvaldsen had declared his entry into the draft just hours before the even started, raising questions of whether he was even allowed to do so. The Falcons would be the beneficiaries of his announcement, adding to their roster a mobile, puck-moving defenseman who is considered to have franchise potential.

While the Falcons will certainly hope to see players like Justin Novastar and William Fedorov returned to the team from their pro clubs, Thorvaldsen represents the future of the Detroit blue-line. While SMJHL fans may not yet be familiar with the young defenseman, we expect that to change very quickly upon his debut in the league.

Not done in the first round, however, the Falcons managed to snag Hans Moleman at fifth overall. The dynamic left winger was originally expected to go second overall to the Falcons, with only Thorvaldsen's late entry shaking that plan up.

Detroit management was obviously exuberant to see Moleman's name on the board when they were up to the podium with their second pick of the evening, and for good reason. The American forward comes with super play-making ability and can see the ice in ways we've seen only in other top-end players. With above-average speed and puck-handling ability for players his age, Moleman is likely to be a threat as early as his rookie season in the SMJHL.

The Falcons were up again at 12th overall, this time opting for Ohio-native Maximus Sarone. A big-bodied centerman, Sarone has the potential to become the type of player professional teams salivate over.

With a penchant for scoring big-time goals, Sarone is a natural sniper with a wicked release, making him a danger from anywhere on the ice. While he has been criticized for not using his frame as effectively as he could, that is unlikely to hamper him at the junior level where he will have a considerable physical advantage over his opposition. With unbelievable wheels for a person his size and his natural offensive instincts, Sarone is a player that many will be surprised didn't go earlier in the draft.

Detroit management was back to the podium for two picks in the third round, the first being used to select Edvīns Bērziņš at 19th overall. Bērziņš, a native of Riga, Latvia, joins Thorvaldsen as part of the Falcons' future on defense.

With considerable all-around offensive abilities, Bērziņš is sometimes referred to as a "sixth forward," though that is far from a criticism. Bērziņš helps his team control the flow of play, often operating as the player the play runs through. Pinning teams in their defensive zones, Bērziņš provides little opportunity for his opponents to expose any defensive lapses that could possibly be present in his game.

The Falcons followed that up by selecting goaltender Sivy McSieve with the 21st overall pick in the draft. McSieve was the third netminder chosen, the other two both going in the first round.

One of a dying breed in hockey, McSieve plays a stand-up style, but manages to have considerable success doing so. McSieve's calling card is his hand speed, something he undisputedly holds over the other goaltenders in this class. Nearly impossible to beat glove-side, McSieve has the ability to become as-good-if-not-better than his first-round counterparts, making this a pick that could certainly pay off for the Falcons.

Detroit made their final pick of the draft at 28th overall as they took Patrick Kilgore, an uncelebrated centerman who should still be able to provide the Falcons with depth in their lineup. A strong faceoff-man, Kilgore can be relied upon to win important draws, and has the skating ability to keep up with his competition even if he lacks in some other departments. Considering the pool of players available at this pick, Kilgore represents probably the best of the bunch and as with any player, we could always be surprised.

Overall, the Falcons walked away from the S28 SMJHL Entry Draft with a slew of new players, and a whole lot of potential. Combined with returning players who will provide needed experience to the lineup, the Falcons should be considered a major threat in the SMJHL this season. If the development of their Season 28 class goes as expected, they will continue to be that in the future.

Quote:884 words

Good read. Falcons

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Detroit busts Wink

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Falcons

Your big mistake was passing on me

Quote:Originally posted by xfactorx121@Mar 16 2016, 06:38 AM
Don't take it personally. Recreates always go early and there were tons of them in this draft.

[Image: Oqsvuu4.png]
FranceCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersFrance

Falcons should be difficult to beat this season!

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

Quote:Originally posted by xfactorx121@Mar 16 2016, 06:38 AM

Just prove em wrong and shine in Halifax bro!

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]

Quote:Originally posted by vbottasnoods@Mar 16 2016, 11:26 AM
Detroit busts Wink
I'll bust you Wink

Detroit is probably really pleasured to get a guy in their locker room with mad hand speed.

hewoe
[Image: 0OAAUwi.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Chewbacca@Mar 16 2016, 04:34 PM
Detroit is probably really pleasured to get a guy in their locker room with mad hand speed.
What do you mean? We don't have you yet

Falcons taking it all...

Quote:Originally posted by vbottasnoods+Mar 16 2016, 03:26 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (vbottasnoods @ Mar 16 2016, 03:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Detroit busts Wink[/b]

Nu-uh.... we... uh... Bursts! Because I'm there. And I'm back. And Yeah. <_<

Quote:Originally posted by Chewbacca@Mar 16 2016, 08:34 AM<br />Detroit is probably really pleasured to get a guy in their locker room with mad hand speed.

I know I am!

<!--QuoteBegin-xfactorx121@Mar 16 2016, 06:38 AM
Your big mistake was passing on me[/quote]

I hope you prove it to us. :D

Quote:Originally posted by The_Mazais@Mar 16 2016, 04:06 PM

What do you mean? We don't have you yet
Blink Hmm

hewoe
[Image: 0OAAUwi.png]

WOW DIDNT EVEN REALIZE YOU WROTE THIS. MR I DONT HAVE TIME FOR AN ARTICLE

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]