Create Account

Steven Stamkos Jr. Quick Draft Day Interview

READY FOR GRADE!

The SHL Season 30 entry draft is under an hour away from the starting time and draft boards are settling in. One prospect, Steven Stamkos Jr., is expected to hear his name go off the board anywhere between pick 7 and 14 according to the general consensus. Stamkos Jr. gave some time to answer a few questions as he prepared for the SHL Draft.

Q: How are you feeling right now? Do you have any nerves?

I am feeling very excited and yes very nervous as well. I have dreamed about this moment ever since I was a little kid and now that the day has arrived where I will be in position to get drafted onto a professional hockey team is unreal. I have my whole family here with me to support me and hopefully I get a call from a team shortly after the draft starts.

Q: Now the general consensus is that you will be pick anywhere from 7 to 14. Do you agree with that?

Just getting a feel of what each team might be looking for and hearing some things I think getting selected in the 7 to 14 range is fair. I do not think I go before the 7th pick and that pick belongs to Buffalo who now has my SMJHL general manager as their new co-general manager so the fit seems natural. Really I just hope to go in the first round but if I don't all it means is that I have to work harder and prove a lot of people wrong.

Q: I know that you have had your sights set on Buffalo for awhile. Has that changed at all?

You know it has a little bit. Buffalo never really reached out to me, I had to reach out to them, so it kind of made me think they may be looking another way. That is fine with me because I have started to imagine myself playing for any of the other teams, besides Texas, and I can see myself fitting in quite nicely. A team that I hadn't thought about playing for but am starting to like that potential fit more and more are the Portland Admirals. I think they have some potential in that franchise and I think it would be a place where I could have a lot of fun playing. Of course no matter who picks me I will do my best to not only fit in but become a key cog in the future.

Q: Last question because I know your time is limited. Have any general managers reached out to you over the last week?

There has only been one team that reached out to me and that was the Seattle Riot. They kind of gave me a generic questionnaire so I am sure they were just touching base with every possible draft pick on the board. Other than that no other team has contacted me since Manhattan a couple of weeks ago. It makes me think that maybe teams just don't contact players before the draft or maybe my draft status is really up in the air. I would of hoped to have some initial contact with more teams but I didn't so I have to just relax tonight and let the cards fall where they may.

POST DRAFT INTERVIEW

Q: You wound up going to the team you preferred in the Buffalo Stampede at 7th overall. How do you feel right now?

Words can't describe how I feel, and I know that sounds cliche, but cliche things are the perfect way to describe feelings sometimes. For a long time I have made it known that I wanted to play in Buffalo the most so I could continue to play for ThatDamnWalrus and at times I didn't think it was going to happen. I hadn't been in contact with them for weeks so I thought they were possibly looking elsewhere. However when the commissioner called my name I jumped out of my seat in pure excitement. That was one hell of a draft day experience and is something I will never forget.

Q: When did the Stampede contact you about drafting you?

They actually hadn't called me until after my name was announced. Walrus got me on the phone and told me congratulations and how excited they were to add me. He also informed me that the lack of communication over the past couple weeks was by design on the Stampede's part. Walrus informed me that they decided to not contact me so there was no chance that anyone caught wind they wanted to select me. While it sucked for me being in limbo like that, I completely understand their strategy, and in the end it worked out for both of us.

Q: The Stampede had the second overall pick in this draft and selected Nolan Angello. How do you feel about that selection?

It is no secret that Nolan Angello wanted to be in Buffalo. Like myself, he also made it known that Buffalo was his preferred destination, and I have to say he did an amazing job of building up his hype. He is a very talented player and he was able to create some buzz around his name as well which in the end resulted in going second overall. I honestly thought the Stampede wanted Ty Justice but they were sold on Angello and I am glad they were. I am excited about the potential of playing alongside Angello in a future line when we get called up to the majors. His scoring ability and my play making ability meshes well and I think we have the opportunity to grow together and be a dominate force in our prime. I must say that I thought when the Stampede took Angello that they would in turn go to the defense for the 7th pick so I thought my dreams were dashed but instead they were made even better.

Q: The Stampede also picked up Theodore Graham who fell to the 17th pick, what are your thoughts on him?

I was really shocked he was still available at 17. I was talking to Walrus while some of the picks were rolling in and I was saying I can't believe both Conklin Owen and Theodore Graham were still available. I was really hoping we would get one of them and we did. I will admit at first I wanted Owen more because I had a vision of a young line consisting of Angello, Owen, and myself and as an offensive mind I was very enticed by that. However he went 16th to the Renegades and I remember shouting at Walrus to take Graham. He did and now Angello and myself have a heck of a young defenseman to have our backs on the ice. And now that the reality has sunken in I am actually a lot happier with Graham on the roster because of his personality and also his position which was much needed here in Buffalo. We have a shot to form a very special trio and I can't wait to build that from the ground up.

Q: Final question, what are your expectations now that you are a Stampede?

My expectations haven't change from what they always were. I expect to spend this next season in the SMJHL playing for Colorado and then possibly getting the call up the following season depending on what Buffalo needs on the roster. However my expectations for Angello, Graham, Maguku, and myself are that we are the four guys that can help right the ship for Buffalo. They have had some tough times recently and they are really putting a lot of faith in the four of us to help build the franchise back up. I am ready for the challenge and I know the other three are as well so I definitely have high expectations for the Stampede in the future.

[Image: zeus-stom-draft-night.png]

Hmm

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Good luck.

[Image: 46381_s.gif]
sigs by ToeDragon84
[Image: Jpcs9tG.png]

Damn those Seattle Pilots from that generically named rival league trying to steal our talent!

Seattle Pilot always trying to nab those prospects.

Quote:Originally posted by Ballerstorm@Jul 18 2016, 06:29 PM
Damn those Seattle Pilots from that generically named rival league trying to steal our talent!

woops. Seattle RIOT!

I guess my talk with you didn't leave a very lasting impression. :((

Quote:Originally posted by Dangles13@Jul 18 2016, 06:34 PM
He was very blunt about not wanting to join me in Texas :((

Quote:Originally posted by Allen@Jul 18 2016, 05:36 PM

He was very blunt about not wanting to join me in Texas :((

He's probably just going to re-sign in Tampa anyways.

Just enjoy your night and the experience! Only really get it once.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Quote:Originally posted by Dangles13@Jul 18 2016, 06:34 PM

Sorry my memory isnt great at times haha. I remember us talking and having a good talk Smile